• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

lawblob said:
Does Abel have a high number of unsafe moves compared to other players? I can't believe how often Abel will be mid-move only to get smacked down by the other character's attack. After my shitty rounds this morning, it felt like a leaf blowing in the wind has more priority over everything he does. -_-

You have to work for your wins with Abel, they're not going to just come to you like with other characters such as Ken or Sagat. That being said you don't have to work as hard as Dhalsim :)

Abel also has some REALLY bad match-ups, against a good Vega he has limited options and Guile gives me trouble at least.

In general Abel is about mind games. Purely about mind games. Mixing up between overhead attacks, rolling, throws, low attacks. You have to keep the other guy guessing, and hopefully guessing wrong. You also need to be able to punish when he opponent makes a mistake. If you can't punish with a high-damaging combo then the opponent won't stop attacking and that creates a dangerous situation for Abel since his attacks are slow with low priority.

2 moves to get you out of trouble are cFP, especially as an anti-air, but especially as a sick combo starter. When people see the elbow->Falling Sky they instantly become a lot more cautious as it's a damaging combo that looks brutal. Wheel Kick is also essential for closing the distance, and just messing people's game up. EX Wheel Kick is one of the best moves Abel has, and 75% of my wins come from finishing people off with EX Wheel Kick.

Also, because Abel doesn't have fast pokes you have to learn how to use Focus Attacks like a parry. If you punish people's pokes with a FA they'll be less likely to poke, which gives you a lot more breathing room to setup your attack.

And like bob said, ABUSE crossing up jumping mk as much as you can.

GrayFoxPL

Anyone else had comepletely fucked up online today? At the end of the day it connected to match once for 30-40 tries! WTF. It wasn't like that before. Also it was laggy. :(

I think this may be because I have more people on my friends list. I think that magic number fucking 50 again. Above it online is fucked up.

Not a bad day apart that. Earned about 1000 bp. But I suck online with anyone that isn't Guile. I fought sea of Kens. Now I know how other players feel. Ranked starting to feel like Ken Molester VIII rather the Street Fighter IV. I felt glad when Balrog beat me. Atleast something new.

Noticed something, when there's lag, like on 1 bar or something then it's insanely hard to pull of Zangiefs piledriver. It doesn't register correctly. I played Zangief on arcade. Did like 100 piledrivers, so I go online and wtf? Every time I got 100/100 chance on driver it misses: Zangief just jumps at the end. And it's not just me. Later I played with my Guile against japanese Zangief. I noticed that he also missed piledrivers everytime. Every time he got me close he jumped up, like me earlier. Command throws seem to suffer on lower latency!

Saw something that made my eyes pop a bit: I did Zangiefs ULTRA and Abel beat it with regular thornado throw. Sick.

I beat few Abels! One fucked me up. I noticed in Abel vs Guile matchup how much more HP Abel has. That's his high point.

Started playing fuerte. Man, he's so fun to use even thou his voice makes me want to commit suicide. Trying to play him on ranked is a no no right now. Why the fuck such low health? Ono, are you insane? Anyway, I'm going to use him on player match.

I think I'm going to play anked untill I hit 2000bp, then I'll play "player" exclusively. That's it if Ken flood doesn't stop.

PS. The fuck is with Fuerte in Story intro? He looks huge with tiny head! :lol The fuck? He looks nothing like that in game.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
hooooly shit, it's so annoying when I do a Ex rush punch and someone grabs me out of it. -_- I hate you Zangief. I also hate Blanka for being so god damn small. I can't do headbutts on that fool because he's stuck in constant crouch. =(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I found a nice custom box that I formatted with a DVD cover printing program. It turned out better than I expected.

I put the PDF on LA.GG, but I don't think it will be around that long.

Tourney signups are closed. A few that signed didn't get in (I only had so many slots in so had to close it. sorry!)

So last night.. I was playing my El Feurte against some guys Ken. Completely beat trashed him.. I was doing a lot of Tostada presses and caught him in a chain. He found it cheap so he chose Zangief and did noting but Spinning Clotheslines. I was Dhalsim and couldn't really do much it felt and had some issues.

He beat me. Then laughs at me in the lobby. He then goes back to Ken and I beat him once again with El Feurte. He gets mad I think because I was using Tostada Presses and had no way of getting out of the chain. He then goes BACK to Zangief in a fit of rage and this was after I chose Gouken.

I completely owned his Zangief this time and got numerous Ultras/Supers off by going over and throwing him behind me and chaining it into my Super/Ultras.

He then rage quitted after the game. It was pretty hilarious.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I hate fighting Zangief. It's not really that hard of a match with Bison, but...you can't really do shit. It's like, once you get in, you have to get right back the fuck out. Hit and run all damned day. :/ I was jumping like effing mario in a match I had around 3 in the morning.

Also learned that his running grab has super armor. Did a knee press right into it and got grabbed for hella damage. Scary shit. :(

Barrett2

Omar Ismail said:
You have to work for your wins with Abel, they're not going to just come to you like with other characters such as Ken or Sagat. That being said you don't have to work as hard as Dhalsim :)

Abel also has some REALLY bad match-ups, against a good Vega he has limited options and Guile gives me trouble at least.

In general Abel is about mind games. Purely about mind games. Mixing up between overhead attacks, rolling, throws, low attacks. You have to keep the other guy guessing, and hopefully guessing wrong. You also need to be able to punish when he opponent makes a mistake. If you can't punish with a high-damaging combo then the opponent won't stop attacking and that creates a dangerous situation for Abel since his attacks are slow with low priority.

2 moves to get you out of trouble are cFP, especially as an anti-air, but especially as a sick combo starter. When people see the elbow->Falling Sky they instantly become a lot more cautious as it's a damaging combo that looks brutal. Wheel Kick is also essential for closing the distance, and just messing people's game up. EX Wheel Kick is one of the best moves Abel has, and 75% of my wins come from finishing people off with EX Wheel Kick.

Also, because Abel doesn't have fast pokes you have to learn how to use Focus Attacks like a parry. If you punish people's pokes with a FA they'll be less likely to poke, which gives you a lot more breathing room to setup your attack.

And like bob said, ABUSE crossing up jumping mk as much as you can.

Good stuff. Im' glad you said Abel is vulnerable against Vega, I lose against even the scrubbiest Vegas. Im' also very weak against Blanka, the damn guy is so squirrely.

I see what you mean about staying unpredictable. If I can manage to work in a Falling Sky or a cp > COD combo early on, I do pretty well. The matches I get destroyed in are always when the opponent manages to zone me, and I have to basically spam Wheel Kick just to get close, and then hope to get in a few quick jabs. Thats when my game breaks down, and I am left mashing buttons on my stick while some damn Ken is light sweep kicking me over and over and over.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
lawblob said:
He didn't wave his hand in front of his face like Abel. Imposter!

Speaking of this, his 2nd taunt works surprisingly well in fooling people. I've had people jump right into me thinking I was gonna whiff a Super rushing past them or just stand there and block. Good stuff.

lawblob said:
Im' also very weak against Blanka, the damn guy is so squirrely.

If they are sitting and charging, wheel kick their ass--they are living off holding d/b and the WK will hit them like an overhead. If you block a spin, no matter what kind, you can Ultra them every time as they recover.

Wheel Kick will also stop the vertical ball if you anticipate right.

No_Style

Couldn't wait anymore, so my brother and I picked up a regular version of the game! (Curse you Amazon.ca for running out of PS3 CEs)

Gonna spend the next 8 hours or so playing. :D

Will come back and look for some online matches in the coming days.

SapientWolf said:
I found a nice custom box that I formatted with a DVD cover printing program. It turned out better than I expected.

http://la.gg/v/SFIVCustomBox1_FullStdSpine.pdf

I put the PDF on LA.GG, but I don't think it will be around that long.

That's nice! Wish there was a PAL version (I'm picky, sue me lol).

Also, why the fuck is my PAL manual all black and white? (besides the cover).

Picked up my 50 matches won and 100 medals achievements today, and finally got passed Chun-Li's hard trial No. 2. Trial No. 3 should technically be easier seeing how it's only 2 moves, but god-damn I'm having a bitch of a time with it.

MrOctober

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Tourney signups are closed. A few that signed didn't get in (I only had so many slots in so had to close it. sorry!)

So last night.. I was playing my El Feurte against some guys Ken. Completely beat trashed him.. I was doing a lot of Tostada presses and caught him in a chain. He found it cheap so he chose Zangief and did noting but Spinning Clotheslines. I was Dhalsim and couldn't really do much it felt and had some issues.

He beat me. Then laughs at me in the lobby. He then goes back to Ken and I beat him once again with El Feurte. He gets mad I think because I was using Tostada Presses and had no way of getting out of the chain. He then goes BACK to Zangief in a fit of rage and this was after I chose Gouken.

I completely owned his Zangief this time and got numerous Ultras/Supers off by going over and throwing him behind me and chaining it into my Super/Ultras.

He then rage quitted after the game. It was pretty hilarious.

This story makes me so happy.

Stantron

UC1 said:
I actually made a video of how to land the ultra in that situation, but they have to be near the corner. As akachan ningen says, they will get knocked away if you ultra them before they hit the ground if it's mid screen, but you can still land the full thing just after they land and it's still guaranteed.
So awesome. Thank you for that.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what does

wakeups
and
shotos mean?

I missed learning that. I assume wake ups means attacking after getting up? Or attacking the person that is getting up?

shotos is someone that shoots a lot of fireballs?

purely guessing... hha.

Alos, what's the general idea behind playing charge characters like Guile? I played sfII somtimes in my youth but never understood the principle, when I play these characters I feel like I'm just holding back or down forever while someone walks over to give me a beating :lol

MIMIC

Banned
God damn fucking Abel. The only player I can't handle (even the average ones). That COD move gets me every time.

=(

Well, at least I hit a new BP high (somewhere near 2300)

Arde5643

GrayFoxPL said:
Started playing fuerte. Man, he's so fun to use even thou his voice makes me want to commit suicide. Trying to play him on ranked is a no no right now. Why the fuck such low health? Ono, are you insane? Anyway, I'm going to use him on player match.
Use the JP voice - seriously, save your sanity. The JP voice is pretty cool too.

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Depressing. Everybody plays shoto's. I played a surprisingly good Rufus player last night, though. Had my Chun on the run!

I hate that Sakura is shoto not that I care lol but still. I never use a hadouken and rare use a DP (only for juggles) :D

Arde5643

Won said:
Huh, got my first disconnecter. I'm the best El Fuerte in the world!.....with 149 BP :p
Lol, played an Abel that kept abusing his wheel kick. So I just went all crazy on him with tostada presses, fajita busters, tortilla propeller, as well as wall-jump tostida press and fajita buster. Since he didn't know how to defend ELF's shinenigans on wake-up, it was just spam of Tostada and Tortilla. :lol

He disconnected as I was spamming down more Special Fantastic Chef punishment!

Arde5643

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Depressing. Everybody plays shoto's. I played a surprisingly good Rufus player last night, though. Had my Chun on the run!
I actually went against a good Chun who I had a lot of problems with my Fuerte. Was pretty much an advantage for him with me winning a couple of rounds here and there, although the last game got pretty even.

For some reason, he switched to Ryu and then ... I totally and utterly annihilated him. So he quit. :lol

Hell, I finally met a good Dhalsim player yesterday who fucked me up pretty bad,...
I wanted to learn how to deal against him so I can better understand what to do and what not to do.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
catfish said:
what does

wakeups
and
shotos mean?
Wakeup's when someone's down. Usually has to do with doing something mean to the guy trying to get up.

Shoto's just short for shotokan. So Ken and Ryu type characters.

Alos, what's the general idea behind playing charge characters like Guile? I played sfII somtimes in my youth but never understood the principle, when I play these characters I feel like I'm just holding back or down forever while someone walks over to give me a beating :lol
You can also charge in the air, during normal moves etc so you can actually be fairly mobile and active while you're still charging stuff.

AZ Greg

HankScorpio said:
I hate that Sakura is shoto not that I care lol but still. I never use a hadouken and rare use a DP (only for juggles) :D

Sakura is a completely different beast though. I respect a good Sakura player much more than the Kens I've fought thus far, especially the ones who can do her links with LK Tatsu.

Also, does anyone else feel bad handily beating the bad Kens/Ryus/Akumas out there? I'm probably something like 98-2 vs. them in my last 100 matches against them. I understand why people get annoyed facing them, but I also understand why people use them. I feel like most of the Shoto users who have helped make SF4 a good seller thus far will start to get discouraged and just forget about the series. I've already had ones I beat shout stuff like "This game sucks that's why you won!" or "Get on (Insert 360 FPS here), I'll beat your ass at that!" Seems like most will probably give up and skip future installments rather than trying to get better.

Anyway, anyone want some matches on XBL?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Freshmaker said:
Wakeup's when someone's down. Usually has to do with doing something mean to the guy trying to get up.

Shoto's just short for shotokan. So Ken and Ryu type characters.

You can also charge in the air, during normal moves etc so you can actually be fairly mobile and active while you're still charging stuff.
Charging while taunting also makes for some hilarious moments.

Arde5643

AZ Greg said:
Also, does anyone else feel bad handily beating the bad Kens/Ryus/Akumas out there? I'm probably something like 98-2 vs. them in my last 100 matches against them. I understand why people get annoyed facing them, but I also understand why people use them. I feel like most of the Shoto users who have helped make SF4 a good seller thus far will start to get discouraged and just forget about the series. I've already had ones I beat shout stuff like "This game sucks that's why you won!" or "Get on (Insert 360 FPS here), I'll beat your ass at that!" Seems like most will probably give up and skip future installments rather than trying to get better.
THe problem with facing scrotos is that once in a while you face someone who's actually good with them. And because you start the round expecting another scroto flowchart, you end up getting your ass beat cleanly on the 1st round. :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Freshmaker said:

sort of figured that however, I can't get used to the idea, it just feels like a big game of 'god I hope you jump at me right now'. When I use Guile and if they don't jump right away, I'm standing there crouching like a dickhead.

For example, is it possible to throw a sonic boom at someone then hit them with a flashkick when they jump it? I swear this was how people played guile when i was 14 years old all those years ago but I can't do that for shit.

also, what's a 'flowchart shoto player'? is that like fireball, fireball, fireball, uppercut style player?

Oh, anyone else have trouble using supers? I usually end up hitting 2 buttons by accident out of enthusiasm when throwing fireballs so I constantly use 1 bar of the super gauge. I don't think I've ever filled that thing up :lol I can't be alone in that.

Arde5643

catfish said:
sort of figured that however, I can't get used to the idea, it just feels like a big game of 'god I hope you jump at me right now'. When I use Guile and if they don't jump right away, I'm standing there crouching like a dickhead.

For example, is it possible to throw a sonic boom at someone then hit them with a flashkick when they jump it? I swear this was how people played guile when i was 14 years old all those years ago but I can't do that for shit.

also, what's a 'flowchart shoto player'? is that like fireball, fireball, fireball, uppercut style player?

Oh, anyone else have trouble using supers? I usually end up hitting 2 buttons by accident out of enthusiasm when throwing fireballs so I constantly use 1 bar of the super gauge. I don't think I've ever filled that thing up :lol I can't be alone in that.
If you know they're going to jump forward your sonic boom, I think you can time an air throw or just do jumping medium kick or roundhouse.

Brannon

forgeforsaken said:
Ran into my first midmatch quitter today, followed soon after by my second. Seriously people?

Funny you say that, because that's the one and only word I message quitters.

"Seriously?"

The response is usually an off-handed swear.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
catfish said:
Yeah, you can charge down and back at the same time, and the charge interval isn't huge. Guile also gets latitude cause his jab sonic boom's usually slow enough that he can come in behind it and make the other guy's life miserable by throwing them while they're trying to deal with the sonic boom still, sweep them etc.

If opponent is standing, then throw fireball. If opponent is jumping, shoryuken. If opponent throws fireball at you jump roundhouse, then roundhouse sweep. If confused, shoryuken. If attack whiffs, shoryuken. If all else fails, shoryuken one more time.

Worse. I tend to end up teleporting randomly.

AZ Greg said:
Sakura is a completely different beast though. I respect a good Sakura player much more than the Kens I've fought thus far, especially the ones who can do her links with LK Tatsu.

Anyway, anyone want some matches on XBL?

No. You have to remember those scrotos end up beating other scrotos, and that's all the fun they require.

TimeKillr

lawblob said:
Good stuff. Im' glad you said Abel is vulnerable against Vega, I lose against even the scrubbiest Vegas. Im' also very weak against Blanka, the damn guy is so squirrely.

I see what you mean about staying unpredictable. If I can manage to work in a Falling Sky or a cp > COD combo early on, I do pretty well. The matches I get destroyed in are always when the opponent manages to zone me, and I have to basically spam Wheel Kick just to get close, and then hope to get in a few quick jabs. Thats when my game breaks down, and I am left mashing buttons on my stick while some damn Ken is light sweep kicking me over and over and over.

We'll have to play a bit, see how my Abel plays. I don't lose much with him nowadays, so I guess I must be doing something right.

c.mp is a VERY good poke, you just have to get used to the range. It's also an excellent combo started into CoD.

Also GGs to ermac. Had fun playing you!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The other day I was at my friends house so i decided to work on my Bison on his account, lol. It was a damn shame, really. There were I think 3 people in a row, 2 Ryu's and a Ken, who threw fireballs nearly the entire round and I head stomped them every single time. IT was amazing to just sit back and watch these people jump back at the start of EVERY ROUND and throw fireballs until I headstomped them to death. It just is beyond me how a player will let that happen. STOP THROWING THE DAMN FIREBALL should be the message that their brain is sending at that point.

Top Bottom