• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

slayn

needs to show more effort.
another psn disconnector - Kamelion

I never saw any until today. They all seem to sit around 3000BP I guess.

now that I'm running into these, I'd like to go back to the world of ken any day :(

Mutombo

Isn't ANYBODY playing Bruce Lee?

I don't have the game yet but I don't see any mention of him in this thread. (You know, Bruce Lee, or whatshisname)

edit: ah yes, Fei Long. Well?

To be fair to the large number of less-skilled players, using shotos online, the shotos are probably their best characters. I mean, I see a lot of people complaining about sucky Kens, but how do you think they'd fare if forced to actually use another character? They'd suck even more. At least, with Ken, they know how to perform some special moves, and I've seen people here admitting to losing to random shoryukens. They've paid to play the game, just like everyone else, and if playing with Ken lets them enjoy the game, then so be it. Also, realize, this is probably the first time playing a serious fighter, for a lot of people, since the days of SFII. The game just came out, and a lot of people are probably just warming-up to the game with a character they're familiar with. These same "scrotos" may very well level-up, greatly, down the line, to come back and kick all your whining asses.

On the flip-side of the coin, everyone calling-out low-skilled Ken players "scrotos", why aren't you guys searching-out players with more skill than you, in ranked matches? Also, if your BP is too low, that searching for more-skilled players results in constant matchups against so-called "scrotos", then you're the scrub. If you're going to run your mouths, calling everyone scrotos, then man-the-fuck-up and level-up your own game, so you can increase your BP to a level where these so-called "scrotos" don't exist.

I'm not calling-out people who are just lamenting a lack of variety in opponents, but the people calling everyone "scrotos", when they can't even elevate their own game to a level that will allow them to avoid such matchups. That, to me, makes the whiner a scrub, and not the Ken player who may suck, but isn't going around calling other people scrotos/scrubs, either.

Cynar

George Claw M.D. said:
To be fair to the large number of less-skilled players, using shotos online, the shotos are probably their best characters. I mean, I see a lot of people complaining about sucky Kens, but how do you think they'd fare if forced to actually use another character? They'd suck even more. At least, with Ken, they know how to perform some special moves, and I've seen people here admitting to losing to random shoryukens. They've paid to play the game, just like everyone else, and if playing with Ken lets them enjoy the game, then so be it. Also, realize, this is probably the first time playing a serious fighter, for a lot of people, since the days of SFII. The game just came out, and a lot of people are probably just warming-up to the game with a character they're familiar with. These same "scrotos" may very well level-up, greatly, down the line, to come back and kick all your whining asses.

On the flip-side of the coin, everyone calling-out low-skilled Ken players "scrotos", why aren't you guys searching-out players with more skill than you, in ranked matches? Also, if your BP is too low, that searching for more-skilled players results in constant matchups against so-called "scrotos", then you're the scrub. If you're going to run your mouths, calling everyone scrotos, then man-the-fuck-up and level-up your own game, so you can increase your BP to a level where these so-called "scrotos" don't exist.

I'm not calling-out people who are just lamenting a lack of variety in opponents, but the people calling everyone "scrotos", when they can't even elevate their own game to a level that will allow them to avoid such matchups. That, to me, makes the whiner a scrub, and not the Ken player who may suck, but isn't going around calling other people scrotos/scrubs, either.

Very nice post, agree with all points pretty much. Everyone has to start somewhere. :D

Won

Teknopathetic said:
It really doesn't. There's only a handful of matchups in the game that are obviously counter-pick material and the chances of you running into someone online who cares enough to counter pick and knows the matchups well enough to actually counter pick you are pretty friggin slim.

True, but at the moment it seems that visible character selection is an annoyance at best.

Personally I would love to be able to set my character before I even go into a ranked game and then jump from game to game without the character selection hassle, but thats probably just me.

1cesc said:
:lol I may have played you

And I probably lost! But no problem, I forgive you!

George Claw M.D. said:

Sure but I already played against shotos with 2000 BP with the same skill set as a 200 BP shoto. I don't know how high the good players are at the moment, but it looks like that you have to deal with them no matter how many games you already won.

DihcarEM

Mutombo said:
Isn't ANYBODY playing Bruce Lee?

I don't have the game yet but I don't see any mention of him in this thread. (You know, Bruce Lee, or whatshisname)

edit: ah yes, Fei Long. Well?

Yeah Fei Long's the name and yes he's one of my main. I have also played against him online. In the right hands he's a very good character.

Arde5643

George Claw M.D. said:
Good points all around - I like to use the aforementioned "scroto" or scrubs as a way to test myself.
If I can't get my execution/punish/string right against someone who keeps doing the same strategy over and over again, how the heck am I going to handle the top guys?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I have my shit set to 'more skilled' but I seem to get people with no BP more often than I get people who have more than me (1750 or so) which is a bit weird. And the Ken/Ruy players I meet who have more than me are capable, but some of them seem to have gotten there by spamming their stupid shit and, while they don't give me much trouble, countering their stupid shit isn't giving my much joy either. I'm looking forward to this summer when most of the 'I'm just playing because this is the new hot shit' will have moved on to something new.

Btw, I see waaaay more Ruy than Ken, barely any Akuma and Sagat and one or two Zangief for every twentieth Shoto. No one else. :(

Arde5643

Won said:
Sure but I already played against shotos with 2000 BP with the same skill set as a 200 BP shoto. I don't know how high the good players are at the moment, but it looks like that you have to deal with them no matter how many games you already won.
It's weird though - if these cheaters actually use the time they spent on trying to cheat the BP system to actually learn the gameplay, they'll probably be at the same BP ranking as they are now but with actual SFIV skill instead of BP cheating skill.

I mean, it takes a while to get your BP to the 2k or 3k rank especially with using Ken Flowchart as the base of your strategy.

nib95

Banned
George Claw M.D. said:

Great post dude.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I faced 1 ken today, and pretty much all he did was jump back and forth and do HK's. A few dragon punches, a few hurricane kicks and a few fireballs. The 2nd round I crouch fierce punched him to death. He just kept jumping in on me.

After the match and the medals, I found out this guy had 2100 BP. Lets me know how bad I am since thats where I'm at lol.

after hours and hours into this game, something has come across my mind regarding online players. Do they know that there are actually 6 buttons that you can use and not just Fierce and Roundhouse!?!?!?!?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
despite playing almost all kens and ryus, no one just flat out picks them. thats the most annoying thing of all. they will always dance around as if they might possibly pick someone else :\

G-Fex

-COOLIO- said:
despite playing almost all kens and ryus, no one just flat out picks them. thats the most annoying thing of all. they will always dance around as if they might possibly pick someone else :\

See this I don't understand, maybe I haven't had enough online matches but I mostly run into Abels more than kens.:lol

Ploid 3.0

Finally got this. Ran into 3 kens and like 1 ryu only. Good mix of opponents but I didn't play much online yet. Need to unlock the essentials.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
George Claw M.D. said:

^Ken player

;)

Narcosis

EraldoCoil said:
after hours and hours into this game, something has come across my mind regarding online players. Do they know that there are actually 6 buttons that you can use and not just Fierce and Roundhouse!?!?!?!?

This is where I think SF4 could have used a better in game system to teach players the finer points of what attacks and strategies work well. They probably got through the default difficulty just fine on singleplayer mode roundhouse kicking and sweeping opponets and are unprepared for the tactics of more experienced players online. For some of them, this is probably the first competition against other humans they've ever faced in any 1 on 1 fighter. Shit, I know my way around some other fighting games pretty well and SF4 players are grinding me to a pulp online.

In regards to seeking out people more skilled than, you, I think everyone's already mentioned how broken matchmaking is. At least for PSN. Even with settings for higher skilled players, you get a lot of scrubs in the results. It pretty much turns into a game of itself as you constantly refresh while looking for a high level icon lol. From what I see most of the complaints I notice are in response to getting matched with Ken while looking for a higher skilled opponent.

But I agree with everyone being a noob one point. Not to mention that these "Ken Scrubs" provided the majority of sales for this game, so we really can't knock them for supporting one of our favorite franchises.

Xevren

FindMyFarms said:
In regards to seeking out people more skilled than, you, I think everyone's already mentioned how broken matchmaking is. At least for PSN. Even with settings for higher skilled players, you get a lot of scrubs in the results. It pretty much turns into a game of itself as you constantly refresh while looking for a high level icon lol. From what I see most of the complaints I notice are in response to getting matched with Ken while looking for a higher skilled opponent.

But I agree with everyone being a noob one point. Not to mention that these "Ken Scrubs" provided the majority of sales for this game, so we really can't knock them for supporting one of our favorite franchises.

It's the same way on XBL, I search for same skill (im at 2300 bp or around there) and I generally get people from 1 bp-2000. It's weird.

MIMIC

Banned
-COOLIO- said:

I always find it entertaining. :lol

Nameless

EraldoCoil said:

I've noticed this too. I beat a Sagat earlier only using quick kicks w/ Cammy. :lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
G-Fex said:
See this I don't understand, maybe I haven't had enough online matches but I mostly run into Abels more than kens.:lol
I've run in to one Abel, it was my very first match. I use Abel but have yet to fight another one.

AZ Greg

I finally get to join the club! Got my first hate message. Some guy kept jumping in with Ken so I kept using scarlet terror on him. He called me a "dickless pussy." :(

SLYspyda

Banned
George Claw M.D. said:

Took the words right out of my mouth. I set my search setting to more skilled. I'm a good Ryu player, and I got destroyed by a Bison player, over and over and over again. 15 times actually......in 5 round matches. He was the best player I've ever played against. But I learnt a lot while he was schooling me.

This incessant whining has got to stop. RYU AND KEN ARE THE MAIN CHARACTERS IN STREET FIGHTER, no matter which way you slice the pie. They SHOULD be getting picked most of the time.

What frustrates me about ken is how highly rewarding his shenanigans can be when they get through.

My chun can counter his shit 5-10 times and he'll make up the damage differential in one shitty jump in RH combo.

Oh well, just part of using the BEAUTIFUL STREAM

I think that's what chun li's name means.

Edit: I think Akuma players are the worst. They think that super is just a free hit.

I love seeing a shitty akuma player get meter and then suddenly a few whiffed jabs, move forward, a few jabs, move forward..

I have never seen someone use Rose, Gen, or ELF online in random matches.

FindMyFarms said:

That may be a valid point, and I do see that you had mentioned that, before. However, most complaints aren't about the matchmaking algorithm. There are complaints, such as yours, but post-count-wise, "searching for higher-skilled opponents" is much less complained about, than fighting "scrotos", in general. I'm not at home to test it out, myself. I'm sitting on about 2300bp on PSN, myself, after about 80 ranked matches, total. So, I'm in the same category as some of you guys who are saying the matchmaking is broken. Maybe someone with a much higher BP can run tests for us. I wonder what kind of matchups the system will find for someone with 5000+bp, searching for more-skilled opponents.

*Paging Haunts...*

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
SLYspyda said:
Took the words right out of my mouth. I set my search setting to more skilled. I'm a good Ryu player, and I got destroyed by a Bison player, over and over and over again. 15 times actually......in 5 round matches. He was the best player I've ever played against. But I learnt a lot while he was schooling me.

This incessant whining has got to stop. RYU AND KEN ARE THE MAIN CHARACTERS IN STREET FIGHTER, no matter which way you slice the pie. They SHOULD be getting picked most of the time.
wait. why?

being on the boxart means everyone should pick them?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I've avoided online as of right now since I want to enter the online as seasoned as I could be before facing off against opponents. I'm taking my time using every fighter in challenge mode, facing off against buddies in versus, going through the arcade with each character and just rounding my game before going online and getting upset.

I've only faced one opponent online and it was my Sagat against his/her Ryu and I smoked him. But I hate losing lol, so I have avoided online competitions up until this point. I will probably venture forth to online matches soon and I expect many 'newcomers' who are just dabbling with the game may have left and more SF veterans will be online but who knows, I expect a lot of Ryus, Kens, Akumas, Giefs, and Sagats as usual.

Temujin

Archie said:
Anyone wanna spar with a Blanka/Honda/Boxer? GT = archie4208

Added you. Those + Zangief are pretty much my main characters, so I'd love to play other people using them. My gamertag is Temujinski.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
SonOfABeep said:

I've seen ELF and Rose, but never a Gen or a Seth. I think I've played against all the other characters at least once online except Gen and Seth.

I love love love 2x HP in the air into 3x down and MP in the air when I get a jumpy shoto.

It just goes on forever, it seems like. Also target combo from jump in FP into EX legs is nice for fireball spammers.

y2dvd

Playing at the Gamestop Round 2 tourny was pretty shitty. Xbox pads ftl. I kept jumping at every srk attempt :lol . Oh well, still made it to round 3. Time to win a TE stick and an EVO spot!

I still haven't played anyone on GAF. When is this tourny starting?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
SLYspyda said:
Equally important, Sakura was a teenager in Alpha, which happened years before SF2. SF4 happens at least a few years after SF2 doesn't it. She's gotta be 20ish by now. Gen withered down to a disgusting prune after all.

HiredMan

Anyone else had the problem of their save file wiping/corrupting?

My save file (all characters unlocked) shat itself on Friday night and it happened to a mate on another forum last week too.

LakeEarth

Caspel said:
I've avoided online as of right now since I want to enter the online as seasoned as I could be before facing off against opponents. I'm taking my time using every fighter in challenge mode, facing off against buddies in versus, going through the arcade with each character and just rounding my game before going online and getting upset.

I've only faced one opponent online and it was my Sagat against his/her Ryu and I smoked him. But I hate losing lol, so I have avoided online competitions up until this point. I will probably venture forth to online matches soon and I expect many 'newcomers' who are just dabbling with the game may have left and more SF veterans will be online but who knows, I expect a lot of Ryus, Kens, Akumas, Giefs, and Sagats as usual.
Understandable, but you gotta lose against people better than you to get better. Playing the AI just makes you start fighting to beat the AI.

Well my current main is E. Honda, and I just did some reading and he seems to be quite low tier, which is too bad, because he reminds me of a slower Alex who was my 3rd Strike main.

SonOfABeep said:
What frustrates me about ken is how highly rewarding his shenanigans can be when they get through.

My chun can counter his shit 5-10 times and he'll make up the damage differential in one shitty jump in RH combo.

Oh well, just part of using the BEAUTIFUL STREAM

I think that's what chun li's name means.

Edit: I think Akuma players are the worst. They think that super is just a free hit.

I love seeing a shitty akuma player get meter and then suddenly a few whiffed jabs, move forward, a few jabs, move forward..

rose is my main, all i ever play as. care to play one day!? :D

Stalfos

HiredMan said:
Anyone else had the problem of their save file wiping/corrupting?

My save file (all characters unlocked) shat itself on Friday night and it happened to a mate on another forum last week too.
Which system?

kle89

Neo Member
how much easier is it to execute combos and stuff on a saturn controller? i've been playing on the dualshock3 and for some reason i only get a super combo through like one out of 20 times. any idea what i could be doing wrong

Top Bottom