• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Nameless

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Depressing. Everybody plays shoto's. I played a surprisingly good Rufus player last night, though. Had my Chun on the run!

Ken & Ryu are the SFIV equivalent to Shotty/Sniper matches in Halo. The amazing thing is that the majority of these shoto-spammers....... are mind blowing shitty at using shotokans. I'd rank my Ken as decent at best, I'm not a major shoto player, but every few matches I would attempt to demoralize people into not using these guys by picking one myself, and I didn't lose once. But after that didn't work I just decided to pad Cammy's W/L record. Keep'em coming bitches!!

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Arde5643 said:
THe problem with facing scrotos is that once in a while you face someone who's actually good with them. And because you start the round expecting another scroto flowchart, you end up getting your ass beat cleanly on the 1st round. :lol

I use a blank title and picture and pick Ryu so people probably think I'm a scrub going into the match. Then I play as a rush-down Ryu with very little random fireballs and they get scared :lol

I'm starting to move away from Ryu though. Here's my character select strategy:
- Sagat if they choose Sagat (I win >80% of my Sagat-Sagat matches even though I have never practiced with him. I just use basic instinct to beat them at their own game. It's also a good psychological trick because I always sense that they get scared if they face another Sagat)
- Ryu against Shotos. Ryu used to be my main, but I am starting to love...
- Balrog against everybody else. I'm not good enough with Balrog to counter the Shotos yet, but I'm almost there. Just have to work on my timing of the headbutt.

I am really liking Balrog. As I mentioned before, I picked Balrog a few times in ranked matches after watching DSP's videos. I just mimic DSP's playstyle after watching his videos and I'm dominating :lol

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Archie said:
GGs. Nice Dictator. Gotta do some housework though.

GGs. Good Blanka. That thing is a menace. I didn't even realise that you could control his super, until I got impatient and jumped right into it.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
TimeKillr said:
We'll have to play a bit, see how my Abel plays. I don't lose much with him nowadays, so I guess I must be doing something right.

c.mp is a VERY good poke, you just have to get used to the range. It's also an excellent combo started into CoD.

Also GGs to ermac. Had fun playing you!

Like wise timekillr. Are you using a stick?

Anyone looking for a solid challenge should take on timekillr's Abel. He's not kidding when he says he doesn't lose much.

Though I did beat his Rufus with Goku Dan once.
237295_1_hs.jpg

besiktas1

Can anyone help please?

I'm looking to watch all the SF movies (including the new ones).

Can anyone list them for me please?...

Ones off the top of my head;

Street Fighter The Movie
Street Fighter Anime (one with ChunLi Vega shower scene)
The one off the collectors edition.

That's all I know...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SnowWolf said:
I use a blank title and picture and pick Ryu so people probably think I'm a scrub going into the match. Then I play as a rush-down Ryu with very little fireballs and they get scared :lol

I'm starting to move away from Ryu though. Here's my character select strategy:
- Sagat if they choose Sagat (I win >80% of my Sagat-Sagat matches even though I have never practiced with him. I just use basic instinct to beat them at their own game. It's also a good psychological trick because I always sense that they get scared if they face another Sagat)
- Ryu against Shotos. Ryu used to be my main, but I am starting to love...
- Balrog against everybody else. I'm not good enough with Balrog to counter the Shotos yet, but I'm almost there. Just have to work on my timing of the headbutt.

I am really liking Balrog. As I mentioned before, I picked Balrog a few times in ranked matches after watching DSP's videos. I just mimic DSP's playstyle after watching his videos and I'm dominating :lol

Where would one find said videos?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
besiktas1 said:
Can anyone help please?

I'm looking to watch all the SF movies (including the new ones).

Can anyone list them for me please?...

Ones off the top of my head;

Street Fighter The Movie
Street Fighter Anime (one with ChunLi Vega shower scene)
The one off the collectors edition.

That's all I know...

SF 2: The Animated Movie (decent), SF Alpha and SF Alpha Generations (both garbage), SF II V (the best one) and whatever came with the CE.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
sf4 really doesn't handle network hiccups very well. It seems if I ever have to sign back into psn while the game is still running, all network stuff will fail until the game is restarted. Which in turn means a system restart, because if I try to quit the game after this problem has occured, it crashes 100%

Arde5643

_tetsuo_ said:
Where would one find said videos?
If you want to find high level Balrog play - try searching for Gootecks on youtube.com - he's right now the best American player for Balrog and can probably go toe to toe and more with the Japanese players.

Guys, I need help.

I played my first games of SF4 online a week ago. All five matches had perfect, five or four bar connections. Lag free and brilliant.

During my last match, however I was disconnected and since then -- for a full week -- I can't find a single fight that has any bars at al. All network connections are at zero.

Everything else on my network is fine. I can connect to XBox Live, download demos and stream Netflix in HD.

What the heck is going on? Is it SF4, or XBL?

DogWelder

Won said:
Huh, got my first disconnecter. I'm the best El Fuerte in the world!.....with 149 BP :p
:lol I may have played you.

Btw, who do you guys figure is the hardest character to master? Who's got to work the hardest to win?

Median

Got my first ranked win today! My Cammy versus a relatively new guy's Vega. Only took about seven losses but I got a win :D Incidentally, I only played a Ken once out of all of those matches. I was quite surprised.

hwateber

1cesc said:
:lol I may have played you.

Btw, who do you guys figure is the hardest character to master? Who's got to work the hardest to win?
I would say viper shenanigans are pretty hard to master. Hardest to win with? No clue. I was going to say Vega but not many people have experience against him so you could actually end up winning pretty easily.

AZ Greg

Player matches are starting to become a big time waster. I spend a bunch of time waiting for someone to join my room or trying to join someones only for them to quit or boot me after 1 loss. Then there are the people who just keep rooms open and never ready up. Ugh...

AZ Greg

vertopci said:
So wtf should Vega do against Blanka and his fucking electricity? >.>

Try and stay at max slide distance and bait it out. You'll then be able to slide and knock him out of it. I don't use the wall at all when I face a Blanka as that will get you a ball or shock almost every time. As Vega, Blanka is probably my hardest match but luckily most people aren't very good with him and just spam ball and shock.

vertopci

AZ Greg said:
Try and stay at max slide distance and bait it out. You'll then be able to slide and knock him out of it. I don't use the wall at all when I face a Blanka as that will get you a ball or shock almost every time. As Vega, Blanka is probably my hardest match but luckily most people aren't very good with him and just spam ball and shock.

So you if hit with the tip of the slide, you don't get shocked?

jaypah

man, just peeking in this thread every now and again makes me feel like a scrub....and i've been playing since SF1! i knew that a lot of people on the tourney scene looked down on shotos but i didn't think that many people here looked down on them. i've only ever used ken as my main. sure i can beat the cpu with any other character but growing up with quarters on the line i often fell back into what i knew, which was ken (or ryu on SF2WW if he was taken). i'm about to pick up my own copy later today and i wanted to maybe get some matches in with Gaffers but my kind seems kind of shunned or laughed at. i mean...Ryu's on the cover!

but seriously, is it that bad to like a shoto character?

MoxManiac

AZ Greg said:
Player matches are starting to become a big time waster. I spend a bunch of time waiting for someone to join my room or trying to join someones only for them to quit or boot me after 1 loss. Then there are the people who just keep rooms open and never ready up. Ugh...

Look into playing with other gaf members. All my best SF4 matches so far have all been from fellow GAFers, there are some great players here. There's a thread in the online forum for it, too.

vertopci

jaypah said:
man, just peeking in this thread every now and again makes me feel like a scrub....and i've been playing since SF1! i knew that a lot of people on the tourney scene looked down on shotos but i didn't think that many people here looked down on them. i've only ever used ken as my main. sure i can beat the cpu with any other character but growing up with quarters on the line i often fell back into what i knew, which was ken (or ryu on SF2WW if he was taken). i'm about to pick up my own copy later today and i wanted to maybe get some matches in with Gaffers but my kind seems kind of shunned or laughed at. i mean...Ryu's on the cover!

No, we are all just pissed that 90% of the players online pick Ken. It's annoying as shit playing the same character over and over. Especially when they all fucking suck ass and just spam HP shoryuken which is easy as fuck to punish.

Arde5643

jaypah said:

No, it's only bad if you follow the Ken Flowchart when using shotos.

slayn

MoxManiac said:
I wish capcom seperated BP as a per character thing. Wasn't that how it was done in JP arcades?
I would sooo love that. I think a TON of people would play as more diverse characters if that were true.

also I met another disconnector. No one play belzimilien. He's a balrog player.

farnham

Banned
vertopci said:
No, we are all just pissed that 90% of the players online pick Ken. It's annoying as shit playing the same character over and over. Especially when they all fucking suck ass and just spam HP shoryuken which is easy as fuck to punish.
free wins suck ass..?

slayn

farnham said:
free wins suck ass..?
a lot of people don't play to win, they play to have intense and fun matchups.

most of us also play to get better. And you can't get better playing a ken flowchart.

vertopci

farnham said:
free wins suck ass..?

Yes? Who the fucking hell wants free wins? It's no fucking fun to play against those retards.

It's a fighting game, you should want fucking competition not free wins :/

jaypah

Oldschoolgamer said:
Seriously though...don't even worry about what the hell people are saying about shotos. Play whomever you like.

oh, i don't! i just wanted the GAF thought on it. i've already rented it for the last few days of my gamers pass and now that i'm getting my own copy i was just curious. i played a lot of good online matches and won a good bit of them. most fun i've had since the old days. my friend and i were taking turns playing through single player and high-fiving and shouting like a 1994 sleepover. the game is awesome and i was going to play ken regardless. just wanted to see the general consensus here as i wanted to throw my gamertag into the ring.

Varth

vertopci said:

It's especially annoying when *you know* your rival is gonna choose Ken, yet he goes around with the cursor like he's comparing different brands of cereals in a supermarket. "What if I beat you to a pulp with this?" "mmm, maybe I should kill you with that". And after an hour wait... he picks Ken and gets pummelled ^^'

Side notes: anyone knows a "Cheung-starz" USA PSN player? Best Abel in a while, and knows his stuff with a couple other characters too. On top of that, he's got good manners. Props to him, wherever he is.

MrOctober

Banned
jaypah said:

Nobody likes shotos when they suck and spam the same moves over and over. And really only because there are about 50 thousand of them online and it gets boring. If you play as a shoto good for you if you are good and play wisely. I've taken to playing player matches because ranked has been so boring lately with all the Kens and I like to play as all different characters most of which I'm not very good at.

jaypah

MrOctober said:
Nobody likes shotos when they suck and spam the same moves over and over. And really only because there are about 50 thousand of them online and it gets boring. If you play as a shoto good for you if you are good and play wisely. I've taken to playing player matches because ranked has been so boring lately with all the Kens and I like to play as all different characters most of which I'm not very good at.

i hear ya. i took guile online and did okay with him. i just have to keep telling myself that i don't have quarters up :lol

LuCkymoON

Banned
Varth said:
It's especially annoying when *you know* your rival is gonna choose Ken, yet he goes around with the cursor like he's comparing different brands of cereals in a supermarket. "What if I beat you to a pulp with this?" "mmm, maybe I should kill you with that". And after an hour wait... he picks Ken and gets pummelled ^^'

Side notes: anyone knows a "Cheung-starz" USA PSN player? Best Abel in a while, and knows his stuff with a couple other characters too. On top of that, he's got good manners. Props to him, wherever he is.
I fucking hate it when people do that >_<
Just choose Sagat/Akuma/Ken already!
I also hate it when people sit on a character until time runs out. Just choose already!

getting anoyed with the lag online. at first i played maybe 30 matches without any lag at all. Now i'm lucky to get 1 lag free match in 3. must say i was pretty happy today when down to the last hit against a blanka i jumped his ultra got the win. I really dont play blanka or against him so i didnt know where his ultra would go.

AZ Greg

vertopci said:
So you if hit with the tip of the slide, you don't get shocked?

I'm not quite sure if it's that or if it's that the shock is invulnerable for its first second or so. So by the time your max distance slide hits him he takes the damage.

So does anyone here feel like online ranking matches are akin to grinding? The other day, my friend and I both started out at around the same BP. I had played online ranked maches for about and hour, and ran into like 20 kens in a row, each giving 1bp. It seriously felt like I was mindlessly killing mobs in WoW or something. My friend however, ran into two good matches and got 140 points in about 10 minues. It sucked that he got more BP in 10 minutes than what I got in an hour :(

For the most part, online ranking seems to reward dedication as to opposed to skill. Of course you need to have a certain level of skill to win, but you have to have the resolve to sit through 10192832109 mindless kens to get to the good games. Capcom really needs to fix the matchmaking ASAP. Also, is this the first game where you can select the skill level of your opponent in ranked online matches(even though it doesn't work)? I remember in Warcraft 3 and Super Turbo, it automatically just matched you with people within your range. Just my 2 cents.

TLDR : Tired of grinding against kens, fix matchmaking! and allow more players for player matches!!

My PSN if you wanna play : FindMyFarms

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
why is everybody talking about so many kens? Is he picked a lot more than Ryu?

Dabanton

catfish said:

Much more i thought it was a joke until i ventured online earlier this week.

It goes Ken then Ryu then Sagat.

I don't take the game as seriously as some people,i like to pick different characters each round don't care if i get my ass kicked or not as long as i'm having fun.

DogWelder

catfish said:
He was last week when I first ventured online. Now I seem to face an even number of Ryu, Ken and Akuma. I guess the higher up your BP goes, the greater the spread of characters. Actually nvm, I have it set up to find the best connection, not the most even match.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Good games again gutter_trash! Sorry I kept leaving and whatnot, but the first time I had to stop dl'ing some torrents (for the lag), then a phone call from a friend I hadnt talked to in about a decade and then my wife wanted to go shopping ... lame!

My fave was that Sagat vs Ryu match, I cant believe my ultra didnt hit you after you had JUST done a fireball, the game definitely helped you out on that one :lol Good stuff though, mostly all close matches and thats half the fun.

"This game needs blind select...."

It really doesn't. There's only a handful of matchups in the game that are obviously counter-pick material and the chances of you running into someone online who cares enough to counter pick and knows the matchups well enough to actually counter pick you are pretty friggin slim.

2DMention said:
Used El Furete for the first time online. Got whipped by Sagat pretty bad, but at least got him down to 1/3 health.
Yes. I'm not the only one that had same experience. Sagat always did first fireball attack.

Top Bottom