• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Vdragoon

xt04 said:
I will never understand the idea of farming for BP. I ran into people setting rounds to 1, or setting time to 30 seconds. (I won anyway lol). Its not like you get cash prizes for having the most BP. Incredibly silly stuff.

On another note, anyone got any tips for beating Dictators headstomp with Chun? SBKs dont work, jumping to meet it seems like a 50/50 at best. Im probably having trouble because im not used to seeing people play him.

EX SBK will ruin anyone that jumps in.

Has anyone played a guy on PSN: Hondavti2009 ? I swear, it's flaming Dragon punch after dragon punch. He played EXACTLY like the flow chart. I don't even know what to say. It was amazing. I wish I had recorded this.

Do yourself a favor and invite this guy to play you.

xt04

Neo Member
Ive only met one Ken player who DIDNT play like the flowchart. In fact, I dont think ive ever seen a non-flaming DP from anyone online. Thats pretty much how I can tell a new player from a more experienced one.

Baiting them is easy as pie. Walk up. Crouch Block. Punish. Ad nauseam. Hopefully by the second round they stop throwing them out. Then its throw time :D.

Jirotrom

MIMIC said:
God damn computer is pissing me off in Normal Survival (challenge 6 or 7, IIRC). Everything is fine until Abel's rolling ass gets to you. His reach is just like Zangief's. I try to grab and miss, and after my missed grab (and no one has moved yet), Abel is throwing me.

I'm just gonna pick Zangief, spam the lariat move and roll the joystick around like crazy hoping for his power grab moves. I can't do this with Guile. The computer says, "Oh, he pressed this button so that means I gotta do this move." Fuck that.
this is how I beat survival :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Conrad Link said:
Fuck this really isn't fun anymore, how can I beat Seth with Gen? >_<

What am I doing wrong. :(

have you set it to 'easiest' in the arcade mode and 1 round? I did about 3 characters with 3 rounds on 'easy' before I figured out there was something like 'even easier' and 'easiest'

I really hate that Gen character, what does he have, 2 moves? Is he a sort of joke character? I think I won by jumping light punch and then straight into his hundred hand slap thing, computer seemed to ALWAYS fall for it.

Shadow780

catfish said:
have you set it to 'easiest' in the arcade mode and 1 round? I did about 3 characters with 3 rounds on 'easy' before I figured out there was something like 'even easier' and 'easiest'

I really hate that Gen character, what does he have, 2 moves? Is he a sort of joke character? I think I won by jumping light punch and then straight into his hundred hand slap thing, computer seemed to ALWAYS fall for it.

He has two moves as mantis, and two moves as crane, but tons of follow-ups.

But yeah, he's more of an expert character, learning curve is very deep.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
UC1 said:
Awesome stuff, I'm just getting a sense of how hard it is to use Fuerte after actually using him. Seen a lot of footage of really good players and didn't realise how hard they have to work for it.
I'm glad they are out there though. I don't use him, but I think a good fuerte is a lot of fun to play against as well. Its like playing an entirely different game. I played a pretty decent one last night. Could do the hp run loop and was pretty unpredictable in his run attacks.

Only big weakness I saw, and I don't know if it was his skill or if fuerte's ultra is just bad, but any time he tried to ultra I could basically just jump out of the way and punish him.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
slayn said:
I'm glad they are out there though. I don't use him, but I think a good fuerte is a lot of fun to play against as well. Its like playing an entirely different game. I played a pretty decent one last night. Could do the hp run loop and was pretty unpredictable in his run attacks.

Only big weakness I saw, and I don't know if it was his skill or if fuerte's ultra is just bad, but any time he tried to ultra I could basically just jump out of the way and punish him.

Fuerte's Ultra is pretty buff, considering you can control the distance of it by pushing forward or back. That means any fireball character CANNOT throw projectiles at Fuerte randomly from half a screen or less away, because they'll get hit with the ultra lol. You also can't jump in on Fuerte when he has ultra because it works like Alex's Stun Gun Headbutt; if you time it right, you'll land on them as soon as they land, making it guaranteed lol.

xt04

Neo Member
catfish said:

Im not sure how Gen is in SF4, but I did play a pretty good one online. Turtled his ass off. Not sure of hwere he falls compared to other characters, but in the right hands just about anyone can be decent.

Gantz

Banned
Fersis said:
I have a 1MB connection,but it sucks.
Its really really hard to find SF IV matches, and usually when i found one im kicked by the host.

EDIT:1MB is the max speed in the city were i live.
EDIT2:Its were or where ? :)

Quickest way I found is to create your own matches and wait for people to find you.

Won

Oichi said:
I uploaded this a few minutes ago... Tomono (Fuerte) vs. Iyo (Dhalsim)

This is a match you HAVE to see.
http://www.versuscity.net/2009/03/02/spotlight-tomono-vs-iyo/

Fuerte vs Dhalsim is such an awesome match up. Too bad that there are only like 5 Dhalsim in the whole world. :/

catfish said:

He has a second page on his move list. :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Won said:
Fuerte vs Dhalsim is such an awesome match up. Too bad that there are only like 5 Dhalsim in the whole world. :/

haha oh dear

catfish said:
I think I won by jumping light punch and then straight into his hundred hand slap thing, computer seemed to ALWAYS fall for it.

Wow that worked. :lol Thank you!

Now, 2 to go before I can get back to enjoying the game.

Jaruru

Won said:

I'm a Dhalsim guy, beginner lvl when compare to these players on videos.
Dhalsim vs. Fuerte is very interesting, particularly hard for Dhalsim, since Fuerte's movement is so fast.

Dhalsim matches are so much fun to watch. but not fun to play against with I guess :)

alterno69

Banned
What the hell do i have to do to unlock other fighters, i've beat the game like 4 times(on easy) and i have yet to unlock a new fighter :(

haunts

Bacon of Hope
GalacticAE said:
Has anyone played a guy on PSN: Hondavti2009 ? I swear, it's flaming Dragon punch after dragon punch. He played EXACTLY like the flow chart. I don't even know what to say. It was amazing. I wish I had recorded this.

Do yourself a favor and invite this guy to play you.

everytime I run into a Ken im now paranoid that its actually someone really good mocking me with flowchartz, or is it is the real deal? impossible to tell.

Oichi said:
Fuerte's Ultra is pretty buff, considering you can control the distance of it by pushing forward or back. That means any fireball character CANNOT throw projectiles at Fuerte randomly from half a screen or less away, because they'll get hit with the ultra lol. You also can't jump in on Fuerte when he has ultra because it works like Alex's Stun Gun Headbutt; if you time it right, you'll land on them as soon as they land, making it guaranteed lol.

man, I didn't know that about the distance control, I had no clue that it had one.
thanks for the info

but it does piss me off that this sort of info is absent in moveslist, manual and ect.

like most SF2 characters are pretty traditional and straightforward while the new characters have more nuances and variations.

alterno69

Banned
Ok, one more ?.

Do i have to beat all fighters with say Ryu for it to work or can i switch to Ryu once i get my ass handed to me by Seth, i already beat the game once using Ryu but i didn't use him since the beggining i think.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
_dementia said:
Hey haunts what is Viper supposed to do against Dictator's headstomps? Is block the only option?

IMO this is her hardest match up in the game.. I think she has an easier time vs SAGET. Against head stomps you can dash/walk back so he will land infront of you and you can punish. a lot of times they will fake devils reverse and alnd infront of trying to throw so watch for that too. vertical jump RH is a good move to zone him...ummm shit.. dude I dunno I die anytime I play this match up and usually use SAGET to beat Bison.

h3ro

alterno69 said:
Ok, one more ?.

Do i have to beat all fighters with say Ryu for it to work or can i switch to Ryu once i get my ass handed to me by Seth, i already beat the game once using Ryu but i didn't use him since the beggining i think.

You just have to beat Seth with the character you want to beat the game with, meaning get up to Seth with any character, then lose and pick whoever you have left to beat the game with.

haunts said:
IMO this is her hardest match up in the game.. I think she has an easier time vs SAGET. Against head stomps you can dash/walk back so he will land infront of you and you can punish. a lot of times they will fake devils reverse and alnd infront of trying to throw so watch for that too. vertical jump RH is a good move to zone him...ummm shit.. dude I dunno I die anytime I play this match up and usually use SAGET to beat Bison.
thanks, i get molested by Dictator everytime :(

Honda has a hard time with run away characters,
I played some people online who just run away and turtle full screen and jump, run and hide.

I had a Vega just turtle the entire match and wall dive away, he would use wall dive cross ups to break my charge then hide for the rest of the match forcing me to walk towards him with charge breaking

I got absolutely DESTROYED by a Gen online this weekend. Completely murdered. A part of it is because I've never faced a good Gen before so when he started jumping off the sides and TOP of the screen I had no idea how to evade/counter it. Still, some of the stuff Gen can pull makes Dhalsim and Fuerte look stationary.

MoxManiac

Omar Ismail said:
I got absolutely DESTROYED by a Gen online this weekend. Completely murdered. A part of it is because I've never faced a good Gen before so when he started jumping off the sides and TOP of the screen I had no idea how to evade/counter it. Still, some of the stuff Gen can pull makes Dhalsim and Fuerte look stationary.

Hey, was it Mega69 by any chance? I fought him this morning, he's pretty killer with him, I just barely managed to beat him after i blocked and punished an ultra at the end of round 3. He probably would have got me had he not made that mistake. I was really impressed by his Gen.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Had some great battles against Mr. Dhalsim himself, MicVlad - Won some, lost some - always fun against him as his Dhalsim is good stuff...

Oichi said:

Very nice El Fuerte, and an excellent Dhalsim as well... I loved how he dodged Fuerte's slide perfectly with the Yoga Totem...

And I'm working on my El Fuerte right now, and I'm definitely going to incorporate that into my must-do moves - thanks...

My Honda is almost where I want him to be too...

alterno69

Banned
h3ro said:
You just have to beat Seth with the character you want to beat the game with, meaning get up to Seth with any character, then lose and pick whoever you have left to beat the game with.

Weird, i already beat him once with Ryu and got nothing :(

Sectus

Fersis said:
I have a 1MB connection,but it sucks.
Its really really hard to find SF IV matches, and usually when i found one im kicked by the host.

EDIT:1MB is the max speed in the city were i live.
EDIT2:Its were or where ? :)
Bandwidth isn't as important as the ping for online gaming. Games tend to not use that much bandwith so having extra doesn't help. You just need to find people who live relatively close to you in order get a smooth online experience. You can try searching for custom games based on reliability, then the game will order the games it found based on ping. Although, it's very hard to join games that since the chances for a server to already have been joined is high.

iam220

crossover attacks on wakeup is by far my biggest weakness in this game. Any one have any advice on how to effectively counter/block them?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Im curious... what match ups do you guys have the hardest time with or are more interested in learning about?

iam220 said:
crossover attacks on wakeup is by far my biggest weakness in this game. Any one have any advice on how to effectively counter/block them?

Just get comfortable blocking "the other way" and try throwing them after they try the cross up..

Barrett2

haunts said:
Im curious... what match ups do you guys have the hardest time with or are more interested in learning about?

- How do I beat Blanka using Abel?

- How do I beat a skilled shoto using Abel? I am getting better at fighting flowchart Ken, but skilled shotos destroy me.

xt04

Neo Member
haunts said:

I got raped by two straight Abels online, (using Chun) but this may have more to do with not being used to fighting them. Also Rog gave me a bit of trouble although I did take that fight to the 5th round. I just couldnt stop his rush.

Someone should play my Dhalsim! Its pretty meh .. though I beat MicVlads like twice with it (out of 6 times) :(

My Feurte is pretty good though so if anyone wants to play against one just shoot me a friends request.

or if you want to play my Vega as well who is pretty good.

XBL - MINI Pez

Last night I played some Rose.. her medium kick slide into throw is so abusable.. She has one of the best throw ranges in the game too. (I kinda copied what Saqs was doing on his videos) :lol

Also played a bit with Gouken. I love playing against people who have no clue about his back throw into Super/Ultra.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I wont be answering questions on match ups directly, im just taking notes for now.. stay tuned.. :D

lawblob said:
- How do I beat Blanka using a grappler?

- How do I beat a skilled shoto using a grappler? I am getting better at fighting flowchart Ken, but skilled shotos destroy me.

Depends on which grappler you're using..

Cowie

haunts said:

As a Rufus, vs. Blanka is a pain in the ass for me. I can't pressure him because he'll just shock his way out, so I end up a full screen away just staring at him thinking 'Fuck, now what?' and hoping he throws an ill-planned blanka ball.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
TurtleSnatcher said:
Someone should play my Dhalsim! Its pretty meh .. though I beat MicVlads like twice with it (out of 6 times) :(

My Feurte is pretty good though so if anyone wants to play against one just shoot me a friends request.

or if you want to play my Vega as well who is pretty good.

XBL - MINI Pez

Last night I played some Rose.. her medium kick slide into throw is so abusable.. She has one of the best throw ranges in the game too. (I kinda copied what Saqs was doing on his videos) :lol

Also played a bit with Gouken. I love playing against people who have no clue about his back throw into Super/Ultra.
XBL : (
I want to see who's Vega is better, though I hate Vega mirror matches.

Jason

Cowie said:
As a Rufus, vs. Blanka is a pain in the ass for me. I can't pressure him because he'll just shock his way out, so I end up a full screen away just staring at him thinking 'Fuck, now what?' and hoping he throws an ill-planned blanka ball.

This is exactly what happens to me. I've yet to beat a Blanka online. :lol

I just really suck against charge characters, save Chun-Li.

Top Bottom