• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

On a random note: I stumbled upon something interesting (sort of) yesterday, after attempting to combine Dhalsim's Focus Attack and his Ultra. It would seem that there's one instance in Street Fighter IV where the Focus Attack will be registered as a normal and blockable attack, even though the game dictates that a fully-charged one cannot be blocked. If you "corner" someone with the Yoga Catastrophe and start charging your Focus Attack as soon as it connects (when it'll only deal chip damage), the Focus Attack will not break through the other guy's guard. However: you can time the Focus Attack so that it'll be finished charging as soon as that giant fireball disappears, but the opposing player can still get out of there if he's fast enough. Haunts can attest to this, as I tried it on him last time we played.

Ideally you should only do this in one of the corners, because I imagine it'll be considerably easier to escape from if you were to try it anywhere else.

gutter_trash said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SUdTKNb3Vc&feature=channel_page

check it out at 1:38
Balrog buffering Ultra in FADC.. abosrbs Tiger Shot goes into Ultra right away

04:15
and even more more WOW in and other FA whatever happened here Ultra

okay pros... how do you perform this? common spill the beans

Here's the specific input :

Charge down back, mp + mk(Hold until next step, which you press immediately afterwards), Forward Forward, Back, Forward, PPP.

You're using the FADC as a 2in1 for the ultra.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
really enjoy playing as sagat now. I still suck, but winning around half of player matchups online, not too bad for a weekend with the game, I'm still a bit of a masher, but some of sagats easier combos are starting to come out.

I cannot play a single charge character though, I can't get my head around it, the constant holding back irks me and I get almost perfected while playing with these guys :lol

Also, everyone bitches about flowchart kens. I find them to be the best practice, you know what they are going to do so it's great fun to have a script to practice some of your moves you have trouble with.

what makes ken so picked over Ryu? I do better with Ryu for some reason.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
catfish said:

I wonder this too.. Ryu is so much easier to use IMO but I guess at that level it dosent really make a difference. heh

Won

Whats up with the Kens lately? They are blowing their Ultras while I'm not even near them. Are they making fun of themself now?

catfish said:

Dragon Punch with fire attack! He also is american. Also players tend to imitate other players.

I will probably pick up Ryu as soon the costume pack appears here for him. Saw one guy today with it at it looks sooo badass.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
haunts said:
Im curious... what match ups do you guys have the hardest time with or are more interested in learning about?
As a blanka, I have an extremely tough time against dhalsim. I feel like if the sim never makes a mistake, it can be impossible to get in. Once I'm in I'm good, but getting there can take like half the battle.

2nd worst matchup for me is Dictator. I'm not really sure what to do against headstomp/devil's reverse, although it sounds like backhop is the best solution. But even after that, scissor kicks tear me up.

3rd I would say is Boxer. Footsies is a crapshoot and boxer seems to do more damage so I consider that in his favor. Ball isn't safe even on hit. And headbutt into ultra makes jumpins and ex rainbow ball extremely risky. That said, this matchup isn't as bad as the previous 2 because you can ball his charge moves, crossup well, and defend against a lot of things with electricity.

Of the shoto's, sagat is the hardest but thats just because he's sagat. And even though I don't consider him that bad.

Good fuertes confuse the fuck out of me just because I've only faced a couple.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
how in the world did 4 people post at exactly the same time. Makes me wonder what the gaf record is for most posts at the exact same minute in a thread is.

NIN90

Help GAF.
I have a sudden urge to buy this game but I don't really know what I'm getting into.

First off, 360 or PS3? I think I'll mainly play this against AI or online and don't have any IRL friends on neither network. I might get a stick or one of the madcatz pads later on if I enjoy the game.

And how is the learning curve for someone who hasn't played much fighting games for quite some time, but is willing to learn?

I suck donkey balls in SF2THDR. Seriously, I couldn't get past the 3rd fight on easy arcade.:lol

But that might just be me not really playing much of the game and the 360 controller (well, I hope so!)

I really want to get competitive and I'm quite fascinated by the crazy abbreviation talk. :lol

haunts

Bacon of Hope
slayn said:
As a blanka, I have an extremely tough time against dhalsim. I feel like if the sim never makes a mistake, it can be impossible to get in. Once I'm in I'm good, but getting there can take like half the battle.

2nd worst matchup for me is Dictator. I'm not really sure what to do against headstomp/devil's reverse, although it sounds like backhop is the best solution. But even after that, scissor kicks tear me up.

3rd I would say is Boxer. Footsies is a crapshoot and boxer seems to do more damage so I consider that in his favor. Ball isn't safe even on hit. And headbutt into ultra makes jumpins and ex rainbow ball extremely risky. That said, this matchup isn't as bad as the previous 2 because you can ball his charge moves, crossup well, and defend against a lot of things with electricity.

Of the shoto's, sagat is the hardest but thats just because he's sagat. And even though I don't consider him that bad.

Good fuertes confuse the fuck out of me just because I've only faced a couple.

Im pretty bad with Blanka myself, but play against him all the time as SAGET and I gotta say its one of the harder match ups for SAGET.

slayn said:
how in the world did 4 people post at exactly the same time. Makes me wonder what the gaf record is for most posts at the exact same minute in a thread is.

Whats crazy is I was playing PhatSAQs last night and after th ematch our BPs ended up the same, right at 4044. X_x

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm still having a lot of problems against Ken and Ryu (I'm a Sagat player). Since I'm usually facing one of these guys >70% it's a problem. I don't mind running into a fireball/uppercut trapper. Whatever. IT'S THE FUCKING JUMP KICK>LOW KICK THAT'S KILLING ME! I must be missing something really basic.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
RSTEIN said:
I'm still having a lot of problems against Ken and Ryu (I'm a Sagat player). Since I'm usually facing one of these guys >70% it's a problem. I don't mind running into a fireball/uppercut trapper. Whatever. IT'S THE FUCKING JUMP KICK>LOW KICK THAT'S KILLING ME! I must be missing something really basic.

Standing Roundhouse is your friend, and will stop that shit cold, trust me. They will keep trying but just keep spamming RH. Honestly against players like that you can win the whole match with just one button: roundhouse. Low Tiger Shot and S. RH is all you need. :p

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
dhelfric said:
Help GAF.
I have a sudden urge to buy this game but I don't really know what I'm getting into.

First off, 360 or PS3? I think I'll mainly play this against AI or online and don't have any IRL friends on neither network. I might get a stick or one of the madcatz pads later on if I enjoy the game.

And how is the learning curve for someone who hasn't played much fighting games for quite some time, but is willing to learn?

I suck donkey balls in SF2THDR. Seriously, I couldn't get past the 3rd fight on easy arcade.:lol

But that might just be me not really playing much of the game and the 360 controller (well, I hope so!)

I really want to get competitive and I'm quite fascinated by the crazy abbreviation talk. :lol
If you got it for ps3, I would have no problem being a sparring partner. Also the learning curve is more forgiving than most fighting games, especially with the abundance of new players that flocked to get this game. If you don't plan on actually spending a lot of time to learn the ins and outs, you probably wont make the jump from decent to good though.

haunts said:
Standing Roundhouse is your friend, and will stop that shit cold, trust me. They will keep trying but just keep spamming RH. Honestly against players like that you can win the whole match with just one button: roundhouse. Low Tiger Shot and S. RH is all you need. :p

word. You connect with that standing roundhouse a couple times and I assure you they will not be so eager to jump in again.

Watch haunts sagat tutorial video if you havent already, trust me you will not regret it.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
slayn said:

Dictator is probably my worst matchup as a scrub Blanka. Headstomp fuckery and punished Blanka balls make things really difficult. :-/

LakeEarth

slayn said:
Happens all the time in threads where people are watching TV, and something big happens. When Heath Ledger won the Oscar, the Oscar thread had about 30 posts all in the same minute.

And more people pick Ken because he's Ken. He's not as good as Ryu in this game.

Vdragoon

LakeEarth said:
Happens all the time in threads where people are watching TV, and something big happens. When Heath Ledger won the Oscar, the Oscar thread had about 30 posts all in the same minute.

And more people pick Ken because he's Ken. He's not as good as Ryu in this game.

Ken is my main and Ryu is indeed better. so easy to chain his super>ulti and do massive dmg.

AZ Greg

RSTEIN said:

Go into training mode and set it to record. Have the Ken/Ryu dummy do the jump kick -> low kick and just work on stuffing it or punishing it.

rise888

FindMyFarms said:
Here's the specific input :

Charge down back, mp + mk(Hold until next step, which you press immediately afterwards), Forward Forward, Back, Forward, PPP.

You're using the FADC as a 2in1 for the ultra.

One thing that confuses me about the FADC...at what point do you let go of the MP+MK? or are people just pressing/tapping MP+MK and then dash-cancelling?

haunts said:
oh shit really? Ryu and SAGET? awesome.. -Ryu's is dope..

Of course not:

# 3/3 - Shoruken Pack will include alternate costumes for: Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, and Dan.
# 3/10 - Shadowloo Pack will include alternate costumes for: Seth, M.Bison, Sagat, Balrog, and Vega.

I HATE that none of the costumes I want are in the same pack.

Sectus

dhelfric said:
Help GAF.

360 and PS3 both seems to have a good multiplayer base, and the multiplayer has the same problems on both platforms (awful matchmaking), so you might as well flip a coin. Although PS3 might get a small advantage since it supports more controllers than the 360, so it'll be easier to find a good arcade stick or gamepad.

AI is awful, you'll get little enjoyment playing against it. Singleplayer-wise, there's really no reason to get the game.

Learning curve is steep and the game does nothing to help you besides showing combos you have no chance of completing. It's also hard to find guides online which helps a beginner. Your best bet is to find a friend to teach you how to play.

I'm sounding negative, but well, I think that's the truth. Most fighters (especially this one) has a very specific niche appeal. You need to have friends or enjoy playing with random people online to get any enjoyment of the game. And you have to accept losing, losing, losing and losing continously before you start to learn how to play.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Vdragoon said:
shoryuken pack is out today :D

ops, sorry tomorrow! D: today is the 2nd not the 3rd.

Awesome.

Good lord I've never bought so much dlc for one game!

themes, gamer pictures, costumes...I wonder what else we'll get.

Does this pack include blanka's cute little safari outfit?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
prodystopian said:
Of course not:

# 3/3 - Shoruken Pack will include alternate costumes for: Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, and Dan.
# 3/10 - Shadowloo Pack will include alternate costumes for: Seth, M.Bison, Sagat, Balrog, and Vega.

ahh shit.. who the hell cares about Dans fit anyway!?

ChrisGoldstein said:
Awesome.

Tell me about it. I've bought all the themes for this and HD remix and I'll buy all the DLC packs as well. I have absolutely zero will power when it comes to this game and microtransactions. Help me! :D

Sectus

ChrisGoldstein said:
Awesome.

I dislike you :p

Sorry, but paying for themes, gamer pictures and unlock keys is something I despise about xbox live. Unfortunately, I'm part of the problem since I bought one of the DLC. But well, I was pretty much forced to. I can't live without Cammy's DLC outfit with color 10.

rise888 said:
One thing that confuses me about the FADC...at what point do you let go of the MP+MK? or are people just pressing/tapping MP+MK and then dash-cancelling?

You don't let go of MP+MK until AFTER you dash. If you let go of MP+MK before you dash, then the attack comes out.

Okay I think I need a tutorial about what all this cancelling talk is about. I have no idea what I'm doing, or if I'm doing it at all. When am I supposed to do it? How does it help? If anyone sees me online on SFIV, send me an invite if you want to teach my newbness how to cancel.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
AZ Greg said:
Go into training mode and set it to record. Have the Ken/Ryu dummy do the jump kick -> low kick and just work on stuffing it or punishing it.

:O I didn't know you could do that.

I just got SCREWED by dictator as Sagat and ryu for a few rounds. that wanker just sits in the corner charging then jumps on my head. hate hate hate hate.

Also haunts, your videos and strats are great! I feel like i'm NEVER going to get better, then I remember I've had it for 3 days :lol

I don't really get the focus stuff at all either..anyone using it much?

DihcarEM

prodystopian said:
Of course not:

The shoruken pack is awesome. When will the Jap store be updated with the Shadowloo pack? Is it 3/3 or 3/5?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
catfish said:
Also haunts, your videos and strats are great! I feel like i'm NEVER going to get better, then I remember I've had it for 3 days :lol

I don't really get the focus stuff at all either..anyone using it much?

ahh awesome glad you liked them.. It took me a solid 2 months to get comfortable with the focus attack, it takes time. you guys are just lucky there are all these tutorials and videos out there now to learn from.

After nearly 29 hours of play which includes 358 online matches, I'm starting to feel soreness in my right arm. I'm only 25, am I getting arthritis already? I'm going to put the game down for a few days to recover. But it's not going to be easy since online is incredibly addicting even though I get my ass whipped a lot.

I've spent a pretty penny on SFIV so far...but I'm just going to have to be patient...with the DLC. There is no way, they're getting $20 from me.

And how come the DLC costumes have all 10 colors available...while the defaults...you have to unlock by mauling the CPU with Zangief in survivor and time attack?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Rice-Eater said:
After nearly 29 hours of play which includes 358 online matches, I'm starting to feel soreness in my right arm. I'm only 25, am I getting arthritis already? I'm going to put the game down for a few days to recover. But it's not going to be easy since online is incredibly addicting even though I get my ass whipped a lot.

After practicing c. vipers c. fp xx hp thunder knuckle fient into another c. fp for like 2 hours i thought i gave myself carpal tunnel or something. :lol

Top Bottom