• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Sinatar said:
Yea I have the same problem, even when I filter for "More skilled then me" I'm getting people with 500-700 less BP then me and I only have 1300.
Liar. Nobody has 1300 BP. Because then they would show up when I search for matches, instead of people with fucking 0 BP.

I'm thinking this game has TruSkill going on in the background and me fuckign around too much has lowered my standing permanently.

Also I accidentally bought a costume pack. Goddammit. The accidental part being the misfiring of synapses firing in my brain that left me staring at the screen while my body navigates the menu of it's own accord and confirms the unholy deed.

vertopci

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea I got Sunny Daze achievement as well.

105 hours of playtime!! 1107 online matches

SOMEONE BUY ME A LIFE! :lol

I hate all you bastards who get so much time to play this :(

I have so much shit to do for school that I don't have time to play as much as I want :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
TurtleSnatcher said:

this game is a motherfucking time VAMPIRE.

I had it the weekend only and already have 12 hours logged. That's almost a full time JOB. And I suck at it. Not uncontrolable suck, but obviously learning the ropes suck.

TurtleSnatcher said:

Yeahhh my playtime is something obscene too. But I imported! That's my excuse. Also my remote keeps screwing up and not turning off my 360. So I will knock a few hours off for that!

I dunno how many matches I've played. I haven't checked. I know I am pretty damn high on the ranked wins leaderboard, which I'm kinda ashamed of. It wouldn't be so bad if I could keep my BP over 2000 for more than a day.

I actually played you in my first online match. It was brutal. I'd forgotten to remap the player 1 controls so I only had hard kicks! So much shame. Those first few days were ruff.

MIMIC

Banned
God damn computer is pissing me off in Normal Survival (challenge 6 or 7, IIRC). Everything is fine until Abel's rolling ass gets to you. His reach is just like Zangief's. I try to grab and miss, and after my missed grab (and no one has moved yet), Abel is throwing me.

I'm just gonna pick Zangief, spam the lariat move and roll the joystick around like crazy hoping for his power grab moves. I can't do this with Guile. The computer says, "Oh, he pressed this button so that means I gotta do this move." Fuck that.

Rotanibor

I got the Sunny Daze achievement tonight when I took the game to play at my friends house. Also have 70 hours or so of play time. I don't think I am a horrible player, but I kind of feel I should be better than I am after 70 hours. :lol

Rotanibor Eht said:
I got the Sunny Daze achievement tonight when I took the game to play at my friends house. Also have 70 hours or so of play time. I don't think I am a horrible player, but I kind of feel I should be better than I am after 70 hours. :lol
same here.. :lol

RyuHayate

MIMIC said:
God damn computer is pissing me off in Normal Survival (challenge 6 or 7, IIRC). Everything is fine until Abel's rolling ass gets to you. His reach is just like Zangief's. I try to grab and miss, and after my missed grab (and no one has moved yet), Abel is throwing me.

Have you tried dashing toward him (flick right twice on the D-PAD/analog) and then throwing? I had a hard time with him too until I did that.

Other than that, I don't recall having so much fun with a game in a very long time. I spent a great deal of Sunday afternoon playing online and completed Arcade with Ken before bed last night. Can't wait to dig deeper!

atomico

TurtleSnatcher said:

jebus. and I was feeling bad about spending an entire day with the game (just hit the 24hr mark last night) :lol

2 online battles (plus 1 disconnect) :D

Barrett2

Rotanibor Eht said:

I am probably the worst player with 45 hours logged. If anything, I seem to be getting worse since hitting the 30 hour mark. :lol

akachan ningen said:
wow, 20K replies already. Hopefully this game lasts. It seems like lots of people are giving up already.

Almost everyone on my friends list has been playing KZ2 the last few days. I think thats taking away the PS3 players right now, but I suspect a lot of them will come back once the KZ2 launch-hype fades.

FindMyFarms said:
GG's Akachan Ningen! Way to play with like every character in the game haha. I can only play rog :(

GGs. Your fei long was pretty good too.

I don't know why I played with zangief. I don't like playing as him or against him.

Yasser

lawblob said:
Almost everyone on my friends list has been playing KZ2 the last few days. I think thats taking away the PS3 players right now, but I suspect a lot of them will come back once the KZ2 launch-hype fades.
same here. i'm partially guilty, trying to get through sp but keep coming back to this. gotta get better with chun!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The cross up stuff in this game is fucked.

I'm playing a zangief online. I destroy him the first match, in the second I have 85% life and he has less than 10%. He knocks me down, the first hit he got on me the whole match, bringing me to 85%. He then immediately jumps over me while i'm on the ground. I try to reversal his shitty command throw attempt but it won't work. He command throws me 4 times in a row, each time jumping over me when i'm on the ground. I then figure out that you have to input the motion for the reversal to the OPPOSITE SIDE if the other player jumps over you. So even though you may be waking up facing towards the right after he jumps, you have to input the controls as if you were waking up facing towards the left, because he jumped over you while you were knocked down. This is fucked up and needlessly confusing. I've also ran into plenty of times where I know I blocked opposite during a crossup and it didn't register. I don't know if its because of some new fucked up cross up system, or input lag for that though.

Anyways, I took the 3rd match because he tried to pull the same crap but I knew what was up.

Yasser said:
iirc this is how they've always been?

I don't think so. In the past, if you did a DP on wakeup it would whiff if the other dude did a cross up. In SF4, it seems to auto-correct, at least for online play. Even wakeup ultras auto-correct.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Timedog said:
The cross up stuff in this game is fucked.

I'm playing a zangief online. I destroy him the first match, in the second I have 85% life and he has less than 10%. He knocks me down, the first hit he got on me the whole match, bringing me to 85%. He then immediately jumps over me while i'm on the ground. I try to reversal his shitty command throw attempt but it won't work. He command throws me 4 times in a row, each time jumping over me when i'm on the ground. I then figure out that you have to input the motion for the reversal to the OPPOSITE SIDE if the other player jumps over you. So even though you may be waking up facing towards the right after he jumps, you have to input the controls as if you were waking up facing towards the left, because he jumped over you while you were knocked down. T

Actually, this was brought up during the early days of the loketests and after the official release.

You don't need to do any reversals, actually, doing that will get you thrown. Just straight up (do NOT jump back or towards) and the throw will whiff.

Yasser

akachan ningen said:
I don't think so. In the past, if you did a DP on wakeup it would whiff if the other dude did a cross up. In SF4, it seems to auto-correct, at least for online play. Even wakeup ultras auto-correct.
that's how i remember it being. i've not noticed auto-correcting in sf4 but then again i'm using sbk with chun on wake-up so it doesn't matter what side the opponent is on

I fought a Zangief who EX piledrivered me over and over when i kept trying to cross up .. the crossup kick doesn't connect, piledriver.... try for a sweep, piledriver, try for a combo, piledriver. The damn piledriver.. i reckon the code is like "if opponent = anywhere + doing anything, then piledriver connects. Not only that but his bloody lariat is infuriating when spammed or used as anti air, he's got a basic crouching punch that knocks out anything in the air, the green fist of doom marches across the entire screen in a fraction of a second..

NO MORE ZANGIEFS!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Oichi said:
Actually, this was brought up during the early days of the loketests and after the official release.

You don't need to do any reversals, actually, doing that will get you thrown. Just straight up (do NOT jump back or towards) and the throw will whiff.

so just jump straight up? cool. thanks.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Good fights last night with Ploid.
He won like 5 and i won 1... im playing El Fuerte, really fun and hard to get it right character.

But i dont have a clue of what to do against a good Blanka when they spam the LP 'electricity'.

Fersis said:
He won like 5 and i won 1... im playing El Fuerte, really fun and hard to get it right character.

But i dont have a clue of what to do against a good Blanka when they spam the LP 'electricity'.

Do a sweep, just hit them with the tip of your foot. If you're too close, you'll get hit.

Ploid 3.0

Fersis said:

You ran towards me a lot and it seemed like you was wide open for attack. You was so fast at times and seemed to have a gogogo fighting style that my best bet was to shock you. Especially with that overhead cockamamie stuff [/John McKain]. I'm not used to what El Furte can do.

Need more experimentations. Wish there was a rematch option in online (is there?). No loading if the people are expecting to pick the same character.

akachan ningen said:
Do a sweep, just hit them with the tip of your foot. If you're too close, you'll get hit.

I think he was moving too fast he didn't have time to react. Like already in the air ready to fall into thunder type stuff. The only opponent I'd sit there with thunder going for a while is E. Honda. Darn that torpedo.

Oh and I take back what I said about thinking Capcom's survival and timetrial must be thrown in, and having the colors locked away in there, with titles, and other things (who use taunts?) was a thrown together. They have interesting things that remind me of the whole world tour setup. The buffs, disabilities, and the opponents buffs/hidden gauges/disabilities is some good stuff (I really liked the hidden gauge thing). Now that's fun. I wish they went a bit further with it though, but I guess it's enough since the original didn't have it in the game at all.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
the androgyne said:
I fought a Zangief who EX piledrivered me over and over when i kept trying to cross up .. the crossup kick doesn't connect, piledriver.... try for a sweep, piledriver, try for a combo, piledriver. The damn piledriver.. i reckon the code is like "if opponent = anywhere + doing anything, then piledriver connects. Not only that but his bloody lariat is infuriating when spammed or used as anti air, he's got a basic crouching punch that knocks out anything in the air, the green fist of doom marches across the entire screen in a fraction of a second..

NO MORE ZANGIEFS!

are you using a fireball character? I just spam fireballs (not in an easily detectable pattern), then when he goes into lariat, I dash forward and trip. On wake up i make sure i'm out of range of the lariat and fireball on wakeup, if he lariats, trip again, if he blocks, jump back and start spamming fireballs again. If you make your fireball pattern too predictable he'll just jump over them or use his green fist of doom. If you make it unpredictable there's a good chance you can hit them with an unblocked ex fireball also. Most zangiefs i've played (i'm at a lowly 1500bp) are very susceptible to trips even when they're not doing the lariat, probably because they're constantly spamming SPD or other command throws. Try to trip them from a distance so your toe just barely touches them, I think this is outside SPD range. It's funny when you confuse the heck out of them and they don't know what to do and you just walk up and throw THEM. I probably have the best W/L record vs Zangief than any other character.

PhatSaqs

Banned
the androgyne said:

NO MORE ZANGIEFS!
Blocked green hand is not safe. You can throw or combo him everytime on block. Any crouching kick should hit lariats up close.

That said, I wouldnt bother trying to crossup Gief too much.

Wish there was some achievement tracking in this. I'd love to know how many more super-combo finishers I still need to get for that achievement (I swear I've done more than 50, but it seems not) and how many more flashy finishers before I get Sunny Daze.

Also, I fucking hate waiting in lobbies with no audio cue that someone has joined. Means I have to stare at the screen for 30mins and then give up and go back to arcade mode and pray someone joins from there.

I'm having the same online troubles as others have complained about in this thread, on 360 in the UK and all my online settings are optimal (NAT to open, ports forwarded, etc).

Timedog said:
are you using a fireball character? I just spam fireballs (not in an easily detectable pattern), then when he goes into lariat, I dash forward and trip. On wake up i make sure i'm out of range of the lariat and fireball on wakeup, if he lariats, trip again, if he blocks, jump back and start spamming fireballs again. If you make your fireball pattern too predictable he'll just jump over them or use his green fist of doom. If you make it unpredictable there's a good chance you can hit them with an unblocked ex fireball also. Most zangiefs i've played (i'm at a lowly 1500bp) are very susceptible to trips even when they're not doing the lariat, probably because they're constantly spamming SPD or other command throws. Try to trip them from a distance so your toe just barely touches them, I think this is outside SPD range. It's funny when you confuse the heck out of them and they don't know what to do and you just walk up and throw THEM. I probably have the best W/L record vs Zangief than any other character.

Yeah, i'm using Ryu. And i hear you, i do.. stay away, fireball, unpredictable, trips. I just feel like i have to be cheap to win.. and frankly i find it boring and annoying to play like that :(

On a side note, why can't you rematch in ranked? I guess it's the same reason you can't purposefully fight friends in ranked (could easily manipulate BP).. but damn, i don't mind losing a fight but i HATE that it takes me back to the beginning and i'm up against someone else! Let me play the person I lost against again, and learn a bit or better, get some revenge!

CPS2

You can backdash out of Gief's SPD and ultra as well. If he attacks during the crossup and you can't reversal it, FADC. Basically any time you're near him is really unsafe though. Even the matchups where he loses badly, he can win easily if he's in close range. Matchup ratings only really apply if you're at the right distance.

Ploid 3.0

Monkeylord said:
Wish there was some achievement tracking in this. I'd love to know how many more super-combo finishers I still need to get for that achievement (I swear I've done more than 50, but it seems not) and how many more flashy finishers before I get Sunny Daze.

Also, I fucking hate waiting in lobbies with no audio cue that someone has joined. Means I have to stare at the screen for 30mins and then give up and go back to arcade mode and pray someone joins from there.

I'm having the same online troubles as others have complained about in this thread, on 360 in the UK and all my online settings are optimal (NAT to open, ports forwarded, etc).

I didn't know there was a trophy for doing supers, and ultras. I got them by surprise (they didn't unlock anything though.

And about the waiting in lobby, playing arcade mode with best of 5, and max time with the cpu on very hard is a good way to wait. You get warmed up and interrupted for a match quick based on what you set for network play (ranked games, connection, etc). This is the best way to do it until capcom fix it. Quick play should auto match people, and quickly. Just throw them into a room, not a list of 3 people fighting in a game already. Same for rank. That list of 3 room is useless. The connection with 1 bar seems fine to me. I never check their bp anyway.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ploid 3.0 said:
You ran towards me a lot and it seemed like you was wide open for attack.
Oh yeah, but this is what happens :
I start running ,i press MP or LP or whatever and since my connection is not the best ,it takes like half a second to input the MP or LP during which El Fuerte runs like a madman, so yeah El Fuerte is made for good connections.
Im not crying

Ploid 3.0

Fersis said:
Oh yeah, but this is what happens :
I start running ,i press MP or LP or whatever and since my connection is not the best ,it takes like half a second to input the MP or LP during which El Fuerte runs like a madman, so yeah El Fuerte is made for good connections.
Im not crying

Ah, hope you get that connection under your belt. Nah I'm not taking it as an excuse. You did run straight into my side without doing anything one time. I only saw lag on my screen during that match I picked Sakura. This net engine must be like gears where the host don't see much lag if there's some there.

Whatever it is it has to be with the net code right? Resistance2 works for you, and it seems other games might as well. Where are you anyway? Spanish speaking right?

Fersis

Ploid 3.0 said:
Ah, hope you get that connection under your belt. Nah I'm not taking it as an excuse. You did run straight into my side without doing anything one time. I only saw lag on my screen during that match I picked Sakura. This net engine must be like gears where the host don't see much lag if there's some there.

Whatever it is it has to be with the net code right? Resistance2 works for you, and it seems other games might as well. Where are you anyway? Spanish speaking right?
I live on Argentina (South America) Resistance 2 with 60 players works super smooth, on the other hand MGO has always a 3 second lag :(
The only hate message i ever received was on MGO:
"You are poor lol,poor" ;_;

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
for me network play is amazing, I just set it to arcade and open to play and people just join. I've had about 2 fights online that have had any lag whatsoever, the rest is like the person is right beside me.. Right beside me kicking my ass....

Fersis

catfish said:
for me network play is amazing, I just set it to arcade and open to play and people just join. I've had about 2 fights online that have had any lag whatsoever, the rest is like the person is right beside me.. Right beside me kicking my ass....
I have a 1MB connection,but it sucks.
Its really really hard to find SF IV matches, and usually when i found one im kicked by the host.

EDIT:1MB is the max speed in the city were i live.
EDIT2:Its were or where ? :)

Ploid 3.0

Fersis said:
Its really really hard to find SF IV matches, and usually when i found one im kicked by the host.

Do the arcade mode thing. Set your network filter and make it so people can join you when you play arcade mode. They won't be able to kick you and they'll be kicking down doors to join you. Make the arcade mode hard, and best of 5 rounds. You'll get a challenger before you know it. If you don't, I don't know what the deal is. I'm not sure where those challengers come from though.

Edit: Fersis- "Were or Where"

Where

Dizzy-4U

Fersis said:
Don't worry man, my Ps3 copy is arriving next week.

Barrett2

For me online play is usually solid, but I have had a number of very slow matches.

I have found the least frustrating thing to do is just go into Arcade Mode accepting new challengers; Quick Match is completely broken for me, and creating a match sometimes leaves me sitting for minutes waiting for someone, and even when I do get someone they will leave before the match starts quite a bit.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Fersis said:

EDIT:1MB is the max speed in the city were i live.
EDIT2:Its were or where ? :)

I have theoretical 20Mbps down and 1Mbps up, however in reality I get about 15 down and 1 up from Netherlands, it's rock solid. Although I get horrible lag in gears still, but their netcode is uh.... :lol

Man, playing single player in this game is one of my most BS, frustraiting things I've done in a long time.

Why is the difficulty so fucked up? One second I can perfect Seth with a character the next with another he's an invincible countering demon from Hell. MUWHAHA *teleports around* *counter throw* MUWHAHA *TELEPORT* *counter throw* *counter throw* *ultra*

:|

Easiest is NOT VERY EASY AT ALL CAPCOM. >_<

Agh, if I didn't have to beat this stupid game with everyone to have all the characters unlocked I'd just live online mode, sadly I'm too OCD to leave a box there locked. :(

I love the game, I'm a huge SF fan, I wish I could just play the fun bits instead and get this crap done.

xt04

Neo Member
I will never understand the idea of farming for BP. I ran into people setting rounds to 1, or setting time to 30 seconds. (I won anyway lol). Its not like you get cash prizes for having the most BP. Incredibly silly stuff.

On another note, anyone got any tips for beating Dictators headstomp with Chun? SBKs dont work, jumping to meet it seems like a 50/50 at best. Im probably having trouble because im not used to seeing people play him.

Conrad Link said:
Man, playing single player in this game is one of my most BS, frustraiting things I've done in a long time.

Why is the difficulty so fucked up? One second I can perfect Seth with a character the next with another he's an invincible countering demon from Hell. MUWHAHA *teleports around* *counter throw* MUWHAHA *TELEPORT* *counter throw* *counter throw* *ultra*

:|

Easiest is NOT VERY EASY AT ALL CAPCOM. >_<

Agh, if I didn't have to beat this stupid game with everyone to have all the characters unlocked I'd just live online mode, sadly I'm too OCD to leave a box there locked. :(

I love the game, I'm a huge SF fan, I wish I could just play the fun bits instead and get this crap done.

The anti-AI move in this game is 'Giefs lariat. PPP gets them like, every time.
As for Seth troubles, tap down as soon as you get knocked down to recover faster and avoid teleport tomfoolery.

PhatSaqs

Banned
xt04 said:
On another note, anyone got any tips for beating Dictators headstomp with Chun? SBKs dont work, jumping to meet it seems like a 50/50 at best. Im probably having trouble because im not used to seeing people play him.
Backdash. FA devil reverses (non EX).

xt04 said:

Dash away and block high. Then punish.

...or

Dash away and jump straight up with a high kick.

Either always seem to work for me, but timing is crucial. You only have a very tiny window to pull it off.

Top Bottom