• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
FindMyFarms said:
Balrog vs. zangief used to be really hard for me until I figured out you have to TURTLEEEEE against him. Actually perfected a 4500 BP zangief player the other day :p

Anyhows, this matchup is still pretty tricky.

Dealing with the Lariat

To get around his lariat, you first need to be familiar with the GRUNT Zangief makes when he does his lariat, he makes a different one for the PPP and KKK versions. The P version lasts longer than the K version. Once you get used to the length of the lariats, you can punish like a mofo! If you're near and Zangief does a P lariat, it will hit you twice on block, after the second hit, simply sweep him. When you're far, you can hit him with a jab straight right as he finishes his last spin (again, you have to be able know the length from recognizing his grunt.) Once you get used to this, he'll NEVER throw a lariat again :p

Zoning and Spacing

Now that you're not scared of his lariat, you'll be able to eliminate most noob Giefs. Now with Gief, you ALWAYS want to keep him at a distance where if you do a jab straight, you'll hit him with just the tip of your glove. At this distance, he'll have to either jump in to get close, or use glove/ex glove. If he jumps in, either use cr. FP or headbutt. If he doesn't jump, you can punish his glove with crouching jabs into headbutt or straight, or simply just throw. When your fighting him, toss out random FK and FP's outside his sweep range just to keep him on his toes, then eventually hit him with a jab straight. You want to constantly be poking with the jab straight, so that eventually he tries to anticipate it and counters with an ex glove, which you'll be ready to punish.

The number one thing you don't want is for gief to knock you down, and if you can't handle his lariat, that will happen alot. Anyways, hope this quick mini strat helped out.

Great post, got me a bit more interested in Balrog for some reason as well! Not that I've played against Zangiefs a lot, though.

One thing that keeps pushing me away from maining Balrog is that I dont really like the way you play charge characters. You'll always have to be charging that shit and I keep forgetting to put the charge on, and when I actually remember it, the charge moves fail cos of a slightly too small charge.

I guess it's just something you got to get used to and play so much that the charge is coming automatically without thinking. It's taking way too long for me though :lol

i went from 1500bp and dropped to about 800bp :(
i hate my stick

i'm working my way back up. i'm at about 1100bp. i can't do the hadoken motion 100% of the time :(
it's more like 60%

stupid stick not recognizing diagonals

Stabby McSter said:
i hate my stick

i'm working my way back up. i'm at about 1100bp. i can't do the hadoken motion 100% of the time :(
it's more like 60%

I honestly am letting my TE stick collect dust.. its pretty bad.. I only use it for charge characters.. everything else I'm using pad..

I should force myself but I can't consistently get moves out 100 percent of the time like the MadCatz pad.. :(

Duelist

TurtleSnatcher said:
I honestly am letting my TE stick collect dust.. its pretty bad.. I only use it for charge characters.. everything else I'm using pad..

I should force myself but I can't consistently get moves out 100 percent of the time like the MadCatz pad.. :(

Wanna send me your stick? :p

So yeah I've been a little busy and getting in fewer games as a result, but I noticed that a lot more people are picking Blanka now. The bad is that this is Sakura's worst match up, but coming up with countertactics is what makes this game so fun!

f0nz0

man i just got my ass handed by micvlad, nasty nasty sim! but it never felt so good to loose, :D

i need to stop dp'in with sakura, i must of been thrown a million times :( that and need to learn to jump over yoga fires, it seems thats the only way to escape his trap without gettin comboed into oblivion, oh and yea stay out the corners or your toast

gg's tho man

hershelito99 is the tag, whoever is down to fight sakura

BIG BUBBA said:
Any tips for Normal Time Attack level 14? It's the one where they take away your special moves (so I can't just lariat over and over). I've managed to get to the 11th fight (of twelve) a couple of times, but not too consistently.
As ridiculous as it sounds, pick Akuma and spam roundhouse.
It also helps that, although Specials are disabled you can still use Ultras and Supers, and the AI is too dumb to evade Shun Gokou Satsu or whatever

FindMyFarms said:
Balrog vs. zangief used to be really hard for me until I figured out you have to TURTLEEEEE against him. Actually perfected a 4500 BP zangief player the other day :p

Anyhows, this matchup is still pretty tricky.

Dealing with the Lariat

To get around his lariat, you first need to be familiar with the GRUNT Zangief makes when he does his lariat, he makes a different one for the PPP and KKK versions. The P version lasts longer than the K version. Once you get used to the length of the lariats, you can punish like a mofo! If you're near and Zangief does a P lariat, it will hit you twice on block, after the second hit, simply sweep him. When you're far, you can hit him with a jab straight right as he finishes his last spin (again, you have to be able know the length from recognizing his grunt.) Once you get used to this, he'll NEVER throw a lariat again :p

Zoning and Spacing

Now that you're not scared of his lariat, you'll be able to eliminate most noob Giefs. Now with Gief, you ALWAYS want to keep him at a distance where if you do a jab straight, you'll hit him with just the tip of your glove. At this distance, he'll have to either jump in to get close, or use glove/ex glove. If he jumps in, either use cr. FP or headbutt. If he doesn't jump, you can punish his glove with crouching jabs into headbutt or straight, or simply just throw. When your fighting him, toss out random FK and FP's outside his sweep range just to keep him on his toes, then eventually hit him with a jab straight. You want to constantly be poking with the jab straight, so that eventually he tries to anticipate it and counters with an ex glove, which you'll be ready to punish.

The number one thing you don't want is for gief to knock you down, and if you can't handle his lariat, that will happen alot. Anyways, hope this quick mini strat helped out.
Thanks for the post, I'll try this.

I found these videos too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkIUnLSw2mk
In the first round of the 2nd match, the Zangief player tries to spam Lariat but he gets punished with low jabs just like you described.

Stabby McSter said:
i hate my stick

it's more like 60%

I hate to tell you this, but it ain't the stick's fault.

Grifter

Teknoman said:
I demand to know who Grifter is. How do you pull off a crouching jab into a Raging Demon Ultra that fast o_O

I'm...me?

You can do demons as quickly as you can press the buttons for it, if that's what you mean. I just mash it out. GGs!

Is there a "Stupid Beginners Retard Guide to Street Fighter IV" anywhere online?

What the hell does it mean when the command list tells me to charge a button?

i have an se, just to make sure everyone knows :(

and i've gone into training mode with input data on. the diagonal doesn't recognize most of the time. is it really not the stick?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm having more fun with player than ranked. Seems more people are playing just to have fun instead of doing whatever it takes to get bp.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
damn! I just played 20~ish matches with Ploid 3.0 and we were so evenly matched I almost ruptured my spleen. We had a disconnect after ten matches (5/5) and then we played ten more which also were completely even. Three or more rounds ended with neither having any visible health left. And the final fight, where I rushed down his Blanka like it was a dummy, was completely flipped as if he'd gone to take a piss and just picked up the controller at the start of the third round - and he ended up winning. Too bad we didn't have headsets (well, maybe you had, I was listening to Nujabes), it's kind of awkward trying to communicate something through the little faces in the lobby.

Great games, hope I'll end up facing you in the tournament (even though that might imply you having to fall into the loser bracket :\) at one point.

Ploid 3.0

Brobzoid said:
damn! I just played 20~ish matches with Ploid 3.0 and we were so evenly matched I almost ruptured my spleen. We had a disconnect after ten matches (5/5) and then we played ten more which also were completely even. Three or more rounds ended with neither having any visible health left. And the final fight, where I rushed down his Blanka like it was a dummy, was completely flipped as if he'd gone to take a piss and just picked up the controller at the start of the third round - and he ended up winning. Too bad we didn't have headsets (well, maybe you had, I was listening to Nujabes), it's kind of awkward trying to communicate something through the little faces in the lobby.

Great games, hope I'll end up facing you in the tournament (even though that might imply you having to fall into the loser bracket :\) at one point.

Copy and paste from the online thread.

Brobzoid knocked the snot out of me at times. When he get started he don't let up. When he got my tendency to use my ultra I had to stop. When I could use it I'd choke and he'd get off a ex punch special. I couldn't do any of my combos because most start from the air. His headbutt had me paranoid to even jump. Where would I be without Blanka's hop. So awesome. I hopped pass his ultra two times or so.

Yea I was wondering "what the crap" when you rushed me down those two matches on the last fight. I tried to stop them but I was fumbling hard and you kept the pressure on. I like how you mix up high and low. I'm always guessing. Gotta take balrog's legs out, but the start up result in a miss if I try too soon.

Also when I stopped using the ultras often I noticed you seemed to expect me to use it at any moment. I tried to use that against you hah.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Ploid 3.0 said:
Copy and paste from the online thread.

Yea I was wondering "what the crap" when you rushed me down those two matches on the last fight. I tried to stop them but I was fumbling hard and you kept the pressure on. I like how you mix up high and low. I'm always guessing. Gotta take balrog's legs out, but the start up result in a miss if I try too soon.

Also when I stopped using the ultras often I noticed you seemed to expect me to use it at any moment. I tried to use that against you hah.
Aye, you scared me good with the Super/Ultra idle charge. I'm not really sure if Blanka can whip out one of those without charging it so I wasn't sure if I could do something even though you just lost a charge.

Kadey said:
I'm having more fun with player than ranked. Seems more people are playing just to have fun instead of doing whatever it takes to get bp.
Yep. I stopped as soon as I got all my ranked achievements and never looked back.

Player matches are love, and not just because you can invite friends.

Ploid 3.0

_dementia said:
Yep. I stopped as soon as I got all my ranked achievements and never looked back.

Player matches are love, and not just because you can invite friends.

It was the same for SFHD. People played to play in Friendly match. People played to win in Rank.

Vdragoon

Just got some scrub geif and sagat just disconnected because they got owned by my ken D:

blacklist chevalo87 and lil playaboy

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Quickly somebody tips for Ryu against boxer. Go.

I have the following:

-Punch him till his life is over
-Kick him till his life is over
-Fuck it, SHORYUKEN

Just played my first online matches today. Guess everybody uses the shotos, because I'm having an easier time winning with Fei-Long and Cammy than Akuma. I really suck with Dhalsim, so that's a no go.

It's been fun, my raging demon, but I'm Hiten-Ryu Kung Fu now.

+1 non-scroto

Any tips from more advanced Dragon masters?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Sounds like blanka v boxer is the matchup of the evening.

FindmyFarms and I had some intense blanka on boxer action. It went back and forth a lot. You could feel the thinking process as someone would figure out something and get a couple matches and then the other payer would step up their game and take them back. He came up victorious 7-5 =(

The more I play that matchup the more difficult I find it. A turtling boxer is so unbelievably hard to get in on. I really need to learn to be more patient if I have the lead and try to force him to make the first move.

My biggest problem though is I don't know how to stop the rush withou super meter. Is there a way to punish blocked dash punches if you don't anticipate them? It seems extremely safe on block.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I don't mind the play to win part. But in ranked, I just don't like the whole using the same characters and tactics to win thing. In player, I see a variety of characters. In ranked, it's Shotos, Zangief and Sagat most of the time. It's not until you hit the 2000-3000 range when you see better players using characters like Abel but you still see a majority of Kens and Ryus.

Vdragoon

slayn said:
My biggest problem though is I don't know how to stop the rush withou super meter. Is there a way to punish blocked dash punches if you don't anticipate them? It seems extremely safe on block.

if his punch is close you can close in and throw him. if he's a bit further back not much you can do. and i hate blankas ;p

slayn said:
Sounds like blanka v boxer is the matchup of the evening.

FindmyFarms and I had some intense blanka on boxer action. It went back and forth a lot. You could feel the thinking process as someone would figure out something and get a couple matches and then the other payer would step up their game and take them back. He came up victorious 7-5 =(

The more I play that matchup the more difficult I find it. A turtling boxer is so unbelievably hard to get in on. I really need to learn to be more patient if I have the lead and try to force him to make the first move.

Yeah dude, that was CRAZYYY. I only ended up winning because I had to leave, I'm sure if we kept playing we would have stayed even. I think it's funny how both Balrog AND Blanka users complain about this matchup. It's such a mindfuck lol. I also hate playing Sagat, but I think everyone does lol.

unreon

Raging Spaniard said:
Quickly somebody tips for Ryu against boxer. Go.

I have the following:

-Punch him till his life is over
-Kick him till his life is over
-Fuck it, SHORYUKEN
I don't know why, I can't explain it. But this post + avatar actually has me in TEARS omfg. *wipes eyes*

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Ploid 3.0

Strider2K99 said:
If you want a punching bag or just someone to play, add me. PSN: Strider2K99

Yes, I use Ryu, deal with it.

If I'm online send me a challenge. However I do tend to leave the ps3 running while I'm at the computer. Like now. I don't care what people pick.

everyone complaining about Ryu and Ken players...how about Sagat...who is even cheaper, and has been my most common opponent

add me
GT: GodfatherX360

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Done and done, got my ass kicked by the boxer. :lol

I know its due to me needing more practice, but if he can charge the anti air and pass trough fireballs with TAP, my only chance is to block his attacks and counterattack, but it felt like he always gets the priority to block before he can get countered. Very frustrating.

Matter of fact, charge characters as a whole frustrate the hell out of me. They can just wait and have answers for everything, ugh.

mYm|17|

Raging Spaniard said:
Done and done, got my ass kicked by the boxer. :lol

I know its due to me needing more practice, but if he can charge the anti air and pass trough fireballs with TAP, my only chance is to block his attacks and counterattack, but it felt like he always gets the priority to block before he can get countered. Very frustrating.

Matter of fact, charge characters as a whole frustrate the hell out of me. They can just wait and have answers for everything, ugh.

<3 Dictator

Raging Spaniard

Shadow780 said:
I hate charge characters too, especially claw.:lol

Vega is easier, because his style forces him to take a lot of risks, Boxer though, a lot of his moves look the same so you dont know whats coming, he has good priority, hits HARD, can combo to his super and ultra easily, gets a chance to defend since if you block his special he gets pushed back a bit (TAP) .... Im not saying I dont need more practice, its just that I dont KNOW what to do :lol

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
God Damn It

I am so tired of Fireball Fireball DP Roundhouse Roundhouse 2-Hit Combo Ryuken and especially Jump Back Fireball Jump Back Fireball Warp Warp Shakunetsu Warp Shungokusatsu Gouki. Seriously, that's 80% of people online, right? Why aren't there character filters? I want to tell the matchmaking engine "I Do Not Want To Fight A Ryu, Ken or Akuma With Less Than 3000BP Ever". I don't usually lose to these awesome players, but half of the time they disconnect when I win the first round. And there's no penalty, right? People can disconnect all day and tell themselves they're totally awesome with their amazing win ratio. Shouldn't they lose BP, at least? It's just untenable. Let alone the fact I can't use even vaguely uncommon icons/titles because people will kick you on sight. *Grumble grumble*...

Anyway, if cool GAF peoples wouldn't mind playing some friendly matches on PSN, I'm

NRX

and I'm playing Rose. Thx!!

Finally got to play this today at work. Wow. I haven't had so much fun with a fighting game, well, ever. I just picked Sakura and beat some ass on Medium until Seth kept groping the shit out me.

Top Bottom