• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Holy fuck people. I see haunts online. I say, "hey, let's have some friendly games!" He invites me. JESUS CHRIST WHY THE FUCK DID I DO THAT?

It's just a whole different game! I can tell you right now I will never ever ever be anywhere close to that good. I just freaked out, like a freight train was raging towards me and I was tied down on the track. Fuck me. And fuck you too, haunts.

GGs MoxManiac
Your Rufus is real good, a pressure character big time.

I was trying to do jumpin juggles to try to set up an Ultra but then you did your jumpin juggle and you nailed me with your Ultra haha

so dont combat Rufus in a jump to jump fight if hes got an Ultra loaded haha

Dosukoi!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
RSTEIN said:
Holy fuck people. I see haunts online. I say, "hey, let's have some friendly games!" He invites me. JESUS CHRIST WHY THE FUCK DID I DO THAT?

It's just a whole different game! I can tell you right now I will never ever ever be anywhere close to that good. I just freaked out, like a freight train was raging towards me and I was tied down on the track. Fuck me. And fuck you too, haunts.

haha it was a friendly match. :p

NYR

Can someone help me with the unlockables?

I've unlocked everyone but Akuma, Gouken and Seth.

I am trying to unlock Akuma, as guides state I need to do.

I did the following. Set it to Easiest, 1 round. I used Ken, which I already beat the game with. I got perfect my first match, and got first strikes in all my fights. I finished with a couple of Ultras.

I beat Seth, and then the new char came up.....BUT IT WAS GOUKEN!? What tha? I thought I needed to unlock and then beat the arcade mode with Akuma before he got unlocked? Anyways, I laid a perfect on his ass, all excited I unlocked Gouken.

I go back to the main menu, and he is not unlocked? Help! What am I doing wrong? I have not beat the game with the new chars I unlocked, is that my issue?

EDIT: OP says I need 3 ultras to unlock, 2 to fight him only...will re-try without any ultra finishes, see if that gets me Akuma, then will beat with Akuma, and then beat with beaten char with some ultras and perfects.

Aokage said:
God Damn It

I am so tired of Fireball Fireball DP Roundhouse Roundhouse 2-Hit Combo Ryuken and especially Jump Back Fireball Jump Back Fireball Warp Warp Shakunetsu Warp Shungokusatsu Gouki. Seriously, that's 80% of people online, right? Why aren't there character filters? I want to tell the matchmaking engine "I Do Not Want To Fight A Ryu, Ken or Akuma With Less Than 3000BP Ever". I don't usually lose to these awesome players, but half of the time they disconnect when I win the first round. And there's no penalty, right? People can disconnect all day and tell themselves they're totally awesome with their amazing win ratio. Shouldn't they lose BP, at least? It's just untenable. Let alone the fact I can't use even vaguely uncommon icons/titles because people will kick you on sight. *Grumble grumble*...

Anyway, if cool GAF peoples wouldn't mind playing some friendly matches on PSN, I'm

NRX

and I'm playing Rose. Thx!!

I fought one guy that just back flipped tossed air fireballs at my Fei Long when I won a 2/3 rounds, and sliding back and forth when he got to the walls. took me like 40 seconds to fight him since I didn't have a good way to close in. He disconnected when I got him down to 20% health.

Air fireballs are hard for fei because I can't wing through them and I can't dash past the ones halfway across the screen. I basically have to bide my time until he cornered himself and slam him as hard as possible.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Aokage said:
God Damn It

I am so tired of Fireball Fireball DP Roundhouse Roundhouse 2-Hit Combo Ryuken and especially Jump Back Fireball Jump Back Fireball Warp Warp Shakunetsu Warp Shungokusatsu Gouki. Seriously, that's 80% of people online, right? Why aren't there character filters? I want to tell the matchmaking engine "I Do Not Want To Fight A Ryu, Ken or Akuma With Less Than 3000BP Ever". I don't usually lose to these awesome players, but half of the time they disconnect when I win the first round. And there's no penalty, right? People can disconnect all day and tell themselves they're totally awesome with their amazing win ratio. Shouldn't they lose BP, at least? It's just untenable. Let alone the fact I can't use even vaguely uncommon icons/titles because people will kick you on sight. *Grumble grumble*...

Anyway, if cool GAF peoples wouldn't mind playing some friendly matches on PSN, I'm

NRX

and I'm playing Rose. Thx!!

Really, I understand disconnects... But characters complaints? You should stop playing fighting games...

NYR said:
Can someone help me with the unlockables?

I've unlocked everyone but Akuma, Gouken and Seth.

I am trying to unlock Akuma, as guides state I need to do.

I did the following. Set it to Easiest, 1 round. I used Ken, which I already beat the game with. I got perfect my first match, and got first strikes in all my fights. I finished with a couple of Ultras.

I beat Seth, and then the new char came up.....BUT IT WAS GOUKEN!? What tha? I thought I needed to unlock and then beat the arcade mode with Akuma before he got unlocked? Anyways, I laid a perfect on his ass, all excited I unlocked Gouken.

I go back to the main menu, and he is not unlocked? Help! What am I doing wrong? I have not beat the game with the new chars I unlocked, is that my issue?

EDIT: OP says I need 3 ultras to unlock, 2 to fight him only...will re-try without any ultra finishes, see if that gets me Akuma, then will beat with Akuma, and then beat with beaten char with some ultras and perfects.
I have no idea wtf just happened right there :lol

Shadow780

Raging Spaniard said:
Vega is easier, because his style forces him to take a lot of risks, Boxer though, a lot of his moves look the same so you dont know whats coming, he has good priority, hits HARD, can combo to his super and ultra easily, gets a chance to defend since if you block his special he gets pushed back a bit (TAP) .... Im not saying I dont need more practice, its just that I dont KNOW what to do :lol

I duno, claw's poking always irritates me.

I think I have clawphobia...

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Shadow780 said:
I duno, claw's poking always irritates me.

I think I have clawphobia...

Yeah, me too. For some reason I fought like 3 claws tonight. I just get so panicked... they really throw me off my game (not that I really have one).

I also fought like 5 Cammys tonight. Strange.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
God's Beard said:
Air fireballs are hard for fei because I can't wing through them and I can't dash past the ones halfway across the screen. I basically have to bide my time until he cornered himself and slam him as hard as possible.

I'm not a Fei Long player, but couldn't you Focus dash cancel through the non-EX ones?

n3ss said:
Really, I understand disconnects... But characters complaints? You should stop playing fighting games...

I'm not complaining because they beat me, I'm complaining because they're boring as hell. I want interesting matches with people who know what they're doing--quality Ryukengouki users by all means. But not two-move spammers...

I had a rage quitter who did not like my Honda after round 1, he quit at the start of round 2.
yes he was a Ken gives Ken a bad name (I actually like Ken)

I also had a character selection screen Rage Quit on me as well.
My Icon and Title are Honda related, so I place my cursor ontop of Honda ready to go but The guy is waiting for me on the Abel spot.
At 05 seconds left he goes straight for Guile thinking that I am going with Honda,
Then i tap down, down to M.Bison
Then he freaks out and tries to move the cursor to somebody else quick (probably to Ken) and over shoots the cursor to Honda and is stuck with him haha

then he pulls the plug.. rage quit shortly after character selection

LowParry

Aokage said:
I'm not a Fei Long player, but couldn't you Focus dash cancel through the non-EX ones?

I'm not complaining because they beat me, I'm complaining because they're boring as hell. I want interesting matches with people who know what they're doing--quality Ryukengouki users by all means. But not two-move spammers...

Work on getting a high BP score. Things get quite interesting there. 3000+ is the sweet spot.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
gutter_trash said:
I had a rage quitter who did not like my Honda after round 1, he quit at the start of round 2.
yes he was a Ken gives Ken a bad name (I actually like Ken)

I also had a character selection screen Rage Quit on me as well.
My Icon and Title are Honda related, so I place my cursor ontop of Honda ready to go but The guy is waiting for me on the Abel spot.
At 05 seconds left he goes straight for Guile thinking that I am going with Honda,
Then i tap down, down to M.Bison
Then he freaks out and tries to move the cursor to somebody else quick (probably to Ken) and over shoots the cursor to Honda and is stuck with him haha

then he pulls the plug.. rage quit shortly after character selection

You don't have a 360 do you?

daegan

Two days I don't play, then I play two hours just now and lose EVERY. SINGLE. MATCH. Which isn't totally shocking given my record but dear god. I also encountered my first rage quit on a Chun-Li who I actually was wrecking pretty badly ( :( ) but yeah, if you are on PSN and you played tinderboxjubilee tonight....gg, and enjoy the bp lol. Also if you played me and can hand out advice that'd be rad.

Aokage said:

That's true, but I kinda avoid focus attacks because my pad is broken and it's hard to get it to recognise both buttons are being pushed together.

x:light punch
y:hard punch
RB:medium punch(broken)
a:light kick
b:medium kick
RT:hard kick

LT and LB are for the tripples so I can do the ultras, I haven't figured out a good way to map the buttons. If I swap back medium/hard punch, I can't do the raging demon :-(

NYR

abstract alien said:
I have no idea wtf just happened right there :lol
Heh, figured it out.

To get akuma you only need 1 perfect if set to 1 round. No ultra finishes at all..

Tried that and I met and beat akuma.

Looks like if you use more then 1 perfect, 3 ultras and get 1st strike 5 times you fight gouken, but if you did not finsh the game with akuma first he will not unlock.

mYm|17|

ughhh I had this Ryu 1 round to nothing and he came back to beat me, im so disappointed in myself that I let him come back.

he had 1600 bp to my 400 bp too

f0nz0

got my ass handed by an amazing ken tonight, goddamn when played well ken is a beast, he was canceling his 2nd hit of the shoryuken dashing forward hitting me with combos into his ultra.. i was left :-O

with the beatings by micvlad and this ken dude today.. as my sakura would say "i still need more training"

Can anyone give me some tips against Honda? For some reason he's my weakest matchup against my Balrog.

What concerns me is the wake-up game and how to avoid his command butt-in-the-face throw.

Also, my other 'main' is Guile, who stacks up against Honda better?

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Am I crazy for thinking SFIV is one of the best looking current-gen games? I mean, some of the backgrounds are kind of weak, but the character models look beautiful.

C- Warrior said:
Can anyone give me some tips against Honda? For some reason he's my weakest matchup against my Balrog.

What concerns me is the wake-up game and how to avoid his command butt-in-the-face throw.

"do you expect me to spill my secrets??"

1st, keep in mind that Honda's headbutt is his armor breaking move before doing Rog's EXs.

Balrog has quicker foot speed, quicker jabs, quicker everything than Honda. If you feel freaked out about an impeding Oicho Throw, don't be afraid to jab, jab, jab. The start up of the Oicho is nowhere near 'Gief's or Abel's command throws.

Block Honda's HP Headbutt and punish it with an LP Dash Straight or Super.
HP Sumo Headbutt is punishable on block.
Honda's Ultra is slow, so block it and Punish.

Block Honda's HK Sumo Smash and then throw to punish him.

Basicly... out turtle him and you should win.

FindMyFarms' Balrog is pretty good at dealing against my Honda, he would have even more stuff to add since he is a Rog player who fights me a Honda player

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ugh my hate for Sagat is so great. My friend just picked the game up and was playing his first matches against me, and his Sagat still almost beats me a ton. He does so much damage and his ultra is ridiculous, it hits from everywhere. He just throws it out randomly and it still sometimes gets me. He's got the stupidest most basic techniques and I still have trouble.

NameGenerated said:
Ugh my hate for Sagat is so great. My friend just picked the game up and was playing his first matches against me, and his Sagat still almost beats me a ton. He does so much damage and his ultra is ridiculous, it hits from everywhere. He just throws it out randomly and it still sometimes gets me. He's got the stupidest most basic techniques and I still have trouble.

i was about to send you an invite to play, then you got offline :(

C- Warrior said:

In all honesty, pick a fireball char against honda lol. I did better against Gutter's Honda using Sagat then I did with balrog (who's my main.) I'm really new to this match up, and I mainly only know what NOT to do.

- NEVER ex punch (straight, upper, whatever) from mid-long range. Like Gutter said, his headbutt breaks ex. Your just asking to waste bar and get set up for a butt stomp crossover. Only through out an ex if you see honda move forward and lose his charge, otherwise, stay far far away.

- DO NOT attempt tick throws, especially if Honda has bar. If your going through your poke string (cr. lp x 3), and decide next time you do it you'll only do it once and then walk up for a throw, WRONG. The second you let go, and you're near, you're getting thrown. Of course this applies to all grapplers, but especially Honda.

- If he uses his buttstomp on you, and you're not sure, just use your FA. If it's a crossup, dash away, if not, then just follow through with an attack.

- If Honda jumps in with his FK, and only the tip of his foot is going to hit, then either block or headbutt. DO NOT use c. FP, it will get beaten like a red headed step child.

This list will be much shorter, but here's what you CAN do:

- Stay in crouching jab range. After poking with a couple jabs, cancel into either an overhead, or delayed straight. Nice mixup in case the Honda user is expecting the over head.

- If you're in sweep range, and are confident that he doesn't a have a down charge loaded up, jump in with a deep fk. Great pressure and you can throw afterwards if he's expecting a block.

- Don't use Guile.

TL/DR : Pick Sagat

neight

Banned
BIG BUBBA said:
Am I crazy for thinking SFIV is one of the best looking current-gen games? I mean, some of the backgrounds are kind of weak, but the character models look beautiful.
I like how the game isn't pixel shaded to all hell and back with people that either look like they're made out of play-doh or shiny plastic but I wouldn't say it's one of the best looking. I'm disappointed the textures aren't of higher quality, considering how it's just one arena you'd think they'd max that out.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
neight said:
I like how the game isn't pixel shaded to all hell and back but I wouldn't say it's one of the best looking. I'm disappointed the textures aren't of higher quality, considering how it's just one arena you'd think they'd max that out.

Game runs at 60 and its beautiful, couldn't care less about texture size really :p

One of the best transitions from 2D to 3D in history, IMO

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's nicely animated, though goofy. Capcom could make use of the engine in an action game or something and it would be even more nice.

Today, I played like 50+ matches with just Dan in player. Probably the most fun I had since getting the game. Pretty much all of the matches were against Kens. Speaking of, he takes off so much damage. A single fierce DP can take off 25%. I had to hit them three times as much to win.

mad catz blows, i sent them an email 3 weeks ago about 1 of my sticks and still no response from them. i'm writing an angry e-mail now!!!!!

dfyb

Banned
canceled my TE stick order from bestbuy. just don't care to have it anymore. though it would have been my only 360 stick and i would have modded it to work with PS3/PC, it would have still been an extra stick -- my custom seimitsu/sanwa stick serves me great.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Mirimar said:
It is possible in actual matches. The video of a ranked match where this happened was posted several pages back.

Street Fighter IV Ojisanboy (Sagat) VS Bleefboy (Bison) Saving dash cancel to Ultra
Fuck, these people are so good. I can't possibly imagine being this sick at Street Fighter, they nail so many combos with relative ease and pretty much link Ultras at will. I'm pretty much utterly amazed at the astoundingly high level these french dudes are playing at.

vissione said:
What the fuck. Seriously. How the fuck rather?

It takes like at least 1 second to charge FA to invincible frame... HOW DO THEY DO THAT!!?!?
They're armored EX moves that're getting cancelled into supers (the most blatant WTF??), ultras, or other EX moves (here without using a second bar). An older example with Balrog on Youtube. Discussion on SRK about using this with Abel.
LuCkymoON said:
so it is possible? I've tried implementing a FADC forward into Chun Li's ultra, but I always seem to mess up the input after forward, forward.
This is just standard, well-established game mechanics, and unrelated.

Edit: And this seems to be the SRK thread where English speakers first started figuring this out (by watching the Japanese, ofc), and it looks to have turned into a pretty good assemblage of info.

Mirimar

pelicansurf said:
Fuck, these people are so good. I can't possibly imagine being this sick at Street Fighter, they nail so many combos with relative ease and pretty much link Ultras at will. I'm pretty much utterly amazed at the astoundingly high level these french dudes are playing at.
They're actually Japanese players. The guy posting ripped it from Nicovideo. Been trying to find the actual video there for better quality, but couldn't find it.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Mirimar said:
They're actually Japanese players. The guy posting ripped it from Nicovideo. Been trying to find the actual video there for better quality, but couldn't find it.
That explains it, but still, my awe is still going at full swing. I wish I was that good. :\

Kadey said:
It's nicely animated, though goofy. Capcom could make use of the engine in an action game or something and it would be even more nice.

Today, I played like 50+ matches with just Dan in player. Probably the most fun I had since getting the game. Pretty much all of the matches were against Kens. Speaking of, he takes off so much damage. A single fierce DP can take off 25%. I had to hit them three times as much to win.

Dan's a surprisingly decent in this game compared to previous street fighters! He's fun to use and catch people off guard. Most people that lose to Dan are just like, wtf just happened?!?! Next thing you know he's sticking out his ass and giving a thumbs up LOL

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
f0nz0 said:
got my ass handed by an amazing ken tonight, goddamn when played well ken is a beast, he was canceling his 2nd hit of the shoryuken dashing forward hitting me with combos into his ultra.. i was left :-O

with the beatings by micvlad and this ken dude today.. as my sakura would say "i still need more training"

You're maining Sakura?

Kal

Okay GAF I need tips - My main is Chun Li. Are there any combos that make here Super/Ultra connect 100% I hate doing them on their own because they leave you so vulnerable when its blocked or you miss. Any other tips? I feel so useless...

Top Bottom