• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Dartastic said:
I JUST GOT MY PLAYING TO WIN ACHIEVEMENT! Ten ranked wins in a row. Oh yeah. :D

Congrats, that one is getting harder and harder to get I think. I've had an 8 win streak, but I always mess up somehow and haven't gotten that one yet. Probably never will. =(

Dartastic

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Congrats, that one is getting harder and harder to get I think. I've had an 8 win streak, but I always mess up somehow and haven't gotten that one yet. Probably never will. =(

I wonder if you can get it by rage quitting? You could try it.... =p

ShinAmano

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Hell there are a couple i will never get, and I think I am a good player...
The all golds in Challenge mode...I can't even finish some characters normal trials let alone hard ones.
Beat Gouken on Hardest...I have beaten hardest...skeptical about chances of getting the requirements for this one...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Dartastic said:
I wonder if you can get it by rage quitting? You could try it.... =p

You can do it in player matches- there are enough truly awful people in players that a decent player will get it eventually.

Just set to stability.

Right now I'm wondering if I should stick to my Honda or go to Rose or Chun. Honda's kinda best for me given my technical limitations. (you'll almost never see me FADC for example)

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I got the five wins. I'm cool with that. I would really like the ten, but I'm not going to kill myself over it. If it happens, it happens.

And I'd break everything in the house, doing backflips.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
My current streak is 20. Doubt I'll beat that any time soon. :\ Today I lost 1000 BP when I thought I could break 3k ;(

haunts said:
haha yeah, you got it.. cant imagine trying to play viper after a 10 year hiatus.

The roughest part was when I tried to beat arcade mode the FIRST time using Viper and not realizing that you could change the difficulty to something less than Normal and still unlock people. :lol

I like playing Viper with my main now even though I only win 30% of the time. If only her ultra wasn't so risky...

Teknoman said:
Cant break the power of yoga ; ;

EDIT: Holy crap!
How about you come back and post 1 full post instead of like 10 posts with 1 sentence that each? :p

Not to be a thread nazi but no one will understand what your saying if they never knew MicVlad etc.

Teknoman

TurtleSnatcher said:
How about you come back and post 1 full post instead of like 10 posts with 1 sentence that each? :p

Not to be a thread nazi but no one will understand what your saying if they never knew MicVlad etc.

Thats probably a good idea. Probably shouldnt have been trying to post inbetween rounds anyway.

arstal said:
I had like 7 straight people in player match boot me rather then play me, all 3-4 bar connects so lag wasn't an issue.

I use Waxing and Waning time attack as the title.

Then again, I feel like if they'd not want to play me- they likely just want chumps, so I wouldn't get much fun out of it.

try to downgrade your icon and title... some character specific icons seem to scare them off LOL

Waxing and Waning? what does that even mean?

gutter_trash said:
try to downgrade your icon and title... some character specific icons seem to scare them off LOL

I hate losing to someone that has no title or icon but like 2400bp. I see them on the match list and I'm like, HaHA! Fresh meat!

Danielsan

God damnit I've succumb to the hype and I now want to buy Street Fighter IV. Sadly I can't find a single UK online store that has the game (PS3 version) in stock. No way that I'm going to pay €57 for a Dutch copy...
Guess I'll have to play the waiting game.

Askia47

my execution is horrible, i need to practice supers and ultras :lol . its not hard, but in the heat of battle they become annoying to get off properly.

Teknoman

Alright, when fighting MicvlaD beware his Dhalsim. I havent encountered many Dhalsim players, so maybe thats why I wasnt ready for his yoga powered assault, but damn. Really good at stringing together supers into ultras as well. I think I put up a better fight towards the end of his matches (was just coming off RezHD before we started) but he still destroyed me.

Almost got em a few times with Abel and El Fuerte though.

OMAR'S GUIDE TO FIGHTING GOOD RANKED SF4 COMPETITION

Set your match settings to best out of 5 rounds
Enter Arcade mode with Fight Requests On
Profit

I'll usually get one fight request per CPU opponent, which is a totally good pace. Furthermore these opponents are usually around my BP level (1800). Absolute lowest I've fought is 500BP, with most matches being between 1500-2500.

I face a lot more varied characters, and I face a lot more difference in skill. I've only had TWO ragequitters.

Also, this lets me go for Achievements in the Arcade mode. I actually unlocked Gouken while getting interrupts. Sure it took me longer, but I wanted to play online anyway. Now I'm going for the beating it with one character, beating it with no continues, etc achievements.

Then you can also train your secondary in Arcade mode, while playing with your main in Online mode. This helps to break up the monotony and boredom that can come from playing with just one character all the time.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Teknoman said:
Alright, when fighting MicvlaD beware his Dhalsim. I havent encountered many Dhalsim players, so maybe thats why I wasnt ready for his yoga powered assault, but damn. Really good at stringing together supers into ultras as well. I think I put up a better fight towards the end of his matches (was just coming off RezHD before we started) but he still destroyed me.

The thing with stronger players is you gotta figure out what their patterns are. All good players have their patterns, you just gotta find them.

xt04

Neo Member
Omar Ismail said:
OMAR'S GUIDE TO FIGHTING GOOD RANKED SF4 COMPETITION

Set your match settings to best out of 5 rounds
Enter Arcade mode with Fight Requests On
Profit

I'll usually get one fight request per CPU opponent, which is a totally good pace. Furthermore these opponents are usually around my BP level (1800). Absolute lowest I've fought is 500BP, with most matches being between 1500-2500.

This.

In fact even in ranked, if set my custom maches to 5 rounds, I usually get decent competition. Maybe the extra rounds scares off the newbs lol

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
SuperEnemyCrab said:
500bp means they suck really bad or are brand new as well.
:( I've got like 500 bp. I haven't gotten whipped yet, I lose close matches. I get too damn tense and then do a damn dragon punch insted of my fireball, or something. :(

Do you guys have some (good) advice for a Balrog (me) vs Zangief matchup? :'o(

I think I have never won a single match versus the red cyclone... This is beyond retarded, I swear I'm about to disconnect the next time the other guy chooses Zangief. My specials bring me near the gief and everybody knows it's the worst idea. If I jump (not a fantastic idea with Balrog I know...) there's that Lariat waiting for me. Well even if I do not jump, it's waiting for me anyway...

I'm clueless... Help me GAF!

Hey what is the best way to attack Zangief's lariat with Balrog (boxer)? I seem to get always hit no matter what I try.

E: Heh, seems I'm not the only one.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Any tips for Normal Time Attack level 14? It's the one where they take away your special moves (so I can't just lariat over and over). I've managed to get to the 11th fight (of twelve) a couple of times, but not too consistently.

Won

Pah...finally an all new high of BP and BAM Sagat appears. -.-

Boxer vs. Zangief is all about timing I would say. Mostly TAP. Ex dashes should do the rest. Of course always. But I haven't played Boxer in awhile.

Shadow780

Lucky day, I've cleared Guile, Chun-Li, Blanka, Dictator and Honda's challenges...:)

and eventually I'll have to face Viper's seemingly impossible challenge...:(

Rocky_Balboa said:
Hey what is the best way to attack Zangief's lariat with Balrog (boxer)? I seem to get always hit no matter what I try.

Yes, I don't even think a single move in Balrog's set gets more priority than any of Zangief's. It really seems to me that the Balrog vs Zangief is just kind of broken.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
omgimaninja said:
Balrog v. Zangief
I heard if you time it right, the low rush can time and hurt Zangief's lariat?

Yes. Ive done it but you have to be solid with the distancing. EX version gives you armor which can help as well.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Teknoman said:

He demolished everyone I tried against him. (My Dhalsim was sad, sad, sad. Couldn't even get him to teleport consistently.) My Guile fared the best, but I think I only came close once before he gave me the yellow razzy face and moved on to greener pastures. :lol

yeb

Atomzzk! said:
It seems like 90% of the top ranked players main Seth, kind of sad to see..
You're looking at the high scores for arcade mode, where Seth gets a lot of points easily because some of his moves are just automatic huge combos. And Zangief dominates the Survival mode list because of lariat spam.

In the actual BP rankings page, you can't even see what character the person uses because they aren't restricted to one character in the first place.

Rocky_Balboa said:

Balrog vs. zangief used to be really hard for me until I figured out you have to TURTLEEEEE against him. Actually perfected a 4500 BP zangief player the other day :p

Anyhows, this matchup is still pretty tricky.

Dealing with the Lariat

To get around his lariat, you first need to be familiar with the GRUNT Zangief makes when he does his lariat, he makes a different one for the PPP and KKK versions. The P version lasts longer than the K version. Once you get used to the length of the lariats, you can punish like a mofo! If you're near and Zangief does a P lariat, it will hit you twice on block, after the second hit, simply sweep him. When you're far, you can hit him with a jab straight right as he finishes his last spin (again, you have to be able know the length from recognizing his grunt.) Once you get used to this, he'll NEVER throw a lariat again :p

Zoning and Spacing

Now that you're not scared of his lariat, you'll be able to eliminate most noob Giefs. Now with Gief, you ALWAYS want to keep him at a distance where if you do a jab straight, you'll hit him with just the tip of your glove. At this distance, he'll have to either jump in to get close, or use glove/ex glove. If he jumps in, either use cr. FP or headbutt. If he doesn't jump, you can punish his glove with crouching jabs into headbutt or straight, or simply just throw. When your fighting him, toss out random FK and FP's outside his sweep range just to keep him on his toes, then eventually hit him with a jab straight. You want to constantly be poking with the jab straight, so that eventually he tries to anticipate it and counters with an ex glove, which you'll be ready to punish.

The number one thing you don't want is for gief to knock you down, and if you can't handle his lariat, that will happen alot. Anyways, hope this quick mini strat helped out.

Lambtron said:
:( I've got like 500 bp. I haven't gotten whipped yet, I lose close matches. I get too damn tense and then do a damn dragon punch insted of my fireball, or something. :(

I can totally relate. I was way nervous playing ranked for the first time. It goes away the more you play. I still whiff moves I pull off in training or arcade mode with ease. Ah, the thrill of battle!:D

Top Bottom