• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

MoxManiac

So I'm pretty confident SF5 will happen (after a SF4 CE/Dash of course). SF4 has sold really well and generated a ton of buzz.

but I wonder what they'll do? Will they still build the game around a SF2 mentality? If they ditch a portion of the original 12, will that cause them to lose casual/lapsed sf2 players?

Hmm

MoxManiac said:
So I'm pretty confident SF5 will happen (after a SF4 CE/Dash of course). SF4 has sold really well and generated a ton of buzz.

but I wonder what they'll do? Will they still build the game around a SF2 mentality? If they ditch a portion of the original 12, will that cause them to lose casual/lapsed sf2 players?

Hmm

They need to do MVC3, CVS3, a new darkstalkers, and a completely new fighter(or maybe a new jojo or rival schools) before they even think of SF5.

MoxManiac said:

Hmm
SFII has a dramatically different cast from the one in SF
SFIII had a dramatically different cast from the one in SFII

I wish it to be this way for every numbered entry, but I doubt it'll happen again.

akachan ningen said:
They need to do MVC3, CVS3, a new darkstalkers, and a completely new fighter(or maybe a new jojo or rival schools) before they even think of SF5.
humm that would have the same affect as it did in the late 90s when the arcades were over-sataruadate with simultaneous Capcom games and Street Fighter III suffered for it

Alpha 3 was released in the middle of the SF3 series during 2nd Impact..

2nd Impact is probably the forgotten SF3 game because of over-saturation of Capcom fighters simultaneously

SF4 is doing well because people are starving for a Capcom fighter

gutter_trash said:
humm that would have the same affect as it did in the late 90s when the arcades were over-sataruadate with simultaneous Capcom games and Street Fighter III suffered for it

Alpha 3 was released in the middle of the SF3 series during 2nd Impact..

2nd Impact is probably the forgotten SF3 game because of over-saturation of Capcom fighters simultaneously

SF4 is doing well because people are starving for a Capcom fighter

I didn't mean all at the same time, naturally. At least make a 9-12 month gap between them. And it's different these days, people are used to getting a new version of a franchise every year. And not everyone plays every fighting game(I do T_T), so they can skip some here and there and still get excited for the next one.

LOL it was funny how 2nd Impact was left for dead at the arcade and everyone jumped onto Alpha 3
Honda in, Blanka in, Vega in.. hidden Boxer? Alpha 3 fuck yeah!

Torquill

I just can't seem to manage Honda's 3rd hard trial. I'm hitting Dan with the Sumo Slam only on the downward motion and I (think) I'm executing the Ultra fast enough after Sumo Smashing, but Dan is never high enough for me to hit him with it.

gutter_trash said:
LOL it was funny how 2nd Impact was left for dead at the arcade and everyone jumped onto Alpha 3
Honda in, Blanka in, Vega in.. hidden Boxer? Alpha 3 fuck yeah!

I don't remember the first SF3 being that popular either. At the time, me and everyone I knew was really into the VS series. I didn't even get into 3S until after MVC2. I was feeling a little burned out at that time and started getting into 3S and then CVS2.

diffusionx

Gold Member
akachan ningen said:
I didn't mean all at the same time, naturally. At least make a 9-12 month gap between them. And it's different these days, people are used to getting a new version of a franchise every year. And not everyone plays every fighting game(I do T_T), so they can skip some here and there and still get excited for the next one.

Well, "skipping some" is part of the problem, no? I think a new DarkStalkers is natural, it'd look good with the art style and there hasn't been a new one in so long. But even then it's not like there is some burning desire for a new game with these characters outside of the niche. Hell it seems like one more for otaku than fighting game fans but I digress.

In any case, they do have to be careful, flood the market with new games and each one has less of an impact than the next.

I don't remember the first SF3 being that popular either.

IIRC it wasn't even called SF3 at first... just "III". And considering it was on more advanced hardware it didn't get a home port for a very long time, which I think hurt it. The VS. home ports were popular (even the worthless PSX ones).

Torquill

Capcom pretty much dominates the niche 2D fighting market. I'm not sure they have much incentive to release new games very rapidly as that niche isn't terribly huge.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Even though I have an assignment overdue, my urge to play a lot this weekend is strong. I think I'll do a marathon session for review then use the extra time to play. :D

diffusionx said:
Well, "skipping some" is part of the problem, no?

Not really. Not everyone is going to skip the same game. Lots of people are skipping SF4 now because they're waiting for Tekken 6 or maybe they still like MKvDCU or some such shit. If they did put out a new darkstalkers game, for example the fans would be coming out of the woodwork and hyping up the game for non-fans like the way some of us did for SF4.

Anyway, Capcom plans for stuff like this. They know about how many fans a particular series has, then they plan their budgets to make sure they can still turn a profit based on how many units they plan to sell. Same thing for totally new fighters. There's a reason why super nichey fighters like arcana heart and guilty gear can keep getting sequel after sequel.

Torquill said:
I just can't seem to manage Honda's 3rd hard trial. I'm hitting Dan with the Sumo Slam only on the downward motion and I (think) I'm executing the Ultra fast enough after Sumo Smashing, but Dan is never high enough for me to hit him with it.

that Honda Trial is extremely strange

To connect to Sumo Smash, it's the butt part that has to connect, not the belly part.

So you have to execute you move EARLY so that the Butt hits Dan really high in the air. You will land on the ground ever before Dan

Charge down-back, then up-back + HK during the execute of the Sumo-Smash, this will keep the BACK charge so you can execute the Ultra when you land.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
akachan ningen said:
If they can't do a MvC3, I'd say they should just do a complete Capcom game. I'd love to see a full fledge fighting game based on all Capcom properties complete with Frank West playable :lol Really the only company outside of Nintendo who can do it good.

fucking disconnectors :-(

My fei always gets pitted against Akumas with over 1000bp, Blankas and Hondas that I start shitting myself against, and the rare time I get lucky enough to fight a flowchart ken they disconnect once I've won two rounds :-(

I did beat the only other fei player I fought though!

And one guy was nice enough to fight me for ten rounds to give me some pointers on the game, mostly that I was really greedy and should be more patient. He was right.

diffusionx

Gold Member
akachan ningen said:
If they did put out a new darkstalkers game, for example the fans would be coming out of the woodwork and hyping up the game for non-fans like the way some of us did for SF4.

I don't think Darkstalkers has nearly the same appeal or popularity as SF2 did. SF4 is a perfect storm of nostalgia, new technology, hype, and timing, I think its wrong to assume this can translate to every Capcom franchise.

akachan ningen said:
There's a reason why super nichey fighters like arcana heart and guilty gear can keep getting sequel after sequel.

I think an extra X or Slash or accent or whatever on GG is pretty cheap to make. Much cheaper than making a new BlazBlue every year. I am just saying, Capcom needs to be careful with this stuff, as all franchise owners need to.

Torquill

gutter_trash said:
that Honda Trial is extremely strange

To connect to Sumo Smash, it's the butt part that has to connect, not the belly part.

So you have to execute you move EARLY so that the Butt hits Dan really high in the air. You will land on the ground ever before Dan

Charge down-back, then up-back + HK during the execute of the Sumo-Smash, this will keep the BACK charge so you can execute the Ultra when you land.
I'm doing all this, the ultra goes right through his falling body every time. :( I guess I'm just not timing it right during Dan's jump, I swear I've tried it a every frame though.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Torquill said:

It's been a while since I finished that trial, but I'm 100% positive that you have to combo it into the super, not the Ultra...

At the very least, you've got the right idea with hitting him on the way down which gives you the time needed to juggle him with the super...

Damodar

I only just discovered how much fun fuerte is!

And I lost to a really bad flowcharter because I kept looking at HIS guages, thinking they were mine T_T

Torquill said:
I'm doing all this, the ultra goes right through his falling body every time. :( I guess I'm just not timing it right during Dan's jump, I swear I've tried it a every frame though.

stay away from the corner, do this in the middle of the screen, perform the move as far as possible

test out how far back you can be for the butt to connect.
If you Butt is too too close, the Ultra may go through him, so you need him to be a few inches in front of you

it is a stupid trial IMO, this situation in combat is insanely rare

Damodar said:
I only just discovered how much fun fuerte is!

And I lost to a really bad flowcharter because I kept looking at HIS guages, thinking they were mine T_T
Fuerte is amazing. He is actually one of my mains now lol..

People just have no idea what to do against him (unless your blanka)

Then when people try jumping at me I kind of bait them in and jump back at them and air throw.

Not to mention his Ultra is one of the best in the game.. You can get it on someone after a knock down almost 100% of the time if you time it right.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
TurtleSnatcher said:

Then when people try jumping at me I kind of bait them in and jump back at them and air throw.

Not to mention his Ultra is one of the best in the game.. You can get it on someone after a knock down almost 100% of the time if you time it right.

No one knows about the solid back dash in this game.. lol

Damodar

TurtleSnatcher said:

Yeah, I hadn't really bothered using him much at all, but then I was playing around with him, realised just how cool he was and took him in to practice and noodled for ages. I can see pretty amazing potential for head games.

I'm having so much fun playing so many different characters, I can't pick a main! Now Fuerte is just making it harder... I'm probably using Blanka the most at the moment though

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
TurtleSnatcher said:

He's one of my mains as well, I just need to fine-tune him a little more to get him where I wanna be, but so far, everyone I've played him against had NO clue what to do against him - I love this guy!

ptown

bdizzle said:
akachan ningen, gutter_trash, & zerojay I need a match with you guys sometime today on psn. you guys seem to be the best on gaf. I'm out of my slump and been doing a lot better. last time i played gutter_trash I think i won 10-9....his damn bison. i think i had zerojay a few days ago by 3 or 4 games too. I'm tired of playing people I can pretty handily beat. I want to have my feelings hurt and ego bruised!!!!! i really wish i could have been in the gaf tournament. whens the next one?

im gonna add valle today and see if i can get a match lol. im not expecting to win a single match against him

I want to have my feelings hurt and ego bruised, too.

You guys add me?

PSN ID: familymanup

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Skilotonn said:
He's one of my mains as well, I just need to fine-tune him a little more to get him where I wanna be, but so far, everyone I've played him against had NO clue what to do against him - I love this guy!

I know some of the 'pros' dismiss El Fuerte because he is a: weak in health and b: "takes more work for the same win" but personally I don't get that attitude. Why should all characters be equal in complexity? Hard won wins can be rewarding. When you win against a strong opponent with El Fuerte (or Guile or Claw... lol?) you know that you have accomplished something and so does everyone else.

Plus I have a hard time seeing Fuerte as weak; the spaz does have some basic combos that hurt.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TurtleSnatcher said:

Yeah its a hard match ... but remember that :
-
-Run forward + caramale sliding beats Blanka electricity
-Run forward + tostada press (Well timed) beats Blanka roll (Surprising huh?)
-Run forward or backward + back step or stop can be useful to deceive.
-EL FUEEERRRRTE !

Dizzy-4U

_dementia said:
lolis and traps!
z38cj.png

Sorry :lol

Also, found this in 4chan today (already posted probably). It's pretty accurate: CLICK

Xater

Encountered my first quitter. A Zangief player that as soon as nothing was working just pulled the cord or something. :lol

Capcom needs patch it so that shit has consequences.

Cynar

Xater said:
Encountered my first quitter. A Zangief player that as soon as nothing was working just pulled the cord or something. :lol

Capcom needs patch it so that shit has consequences.

I had two of these in a row last night, frustrating, seems to be more common place when you get above 2000 bps

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dizzy-4U said:
z38cj.png

Sorry :lol

Also, found this in 4chan today (already posted probably). It's pretty accurate: CLICK
That 'comic' made me think....

C. Viper: Character design ripped from Vanessa.(Even the MILF thing...)
Rufus: Very very similar to Cheng Sinzan
El Fuerte: Some animations and movements are from 'El diablo amarillo ' Ramon
Abel: Almost no influence... but i can see some B.Battler and Goro Daimon in him
Seth: Awful design,worst boss design ever ..after Gill

omgimaninja said:
There's a few great GAF Boxers who post in this thread. I love playing as him because his attacks are just so powerful.

Awesome, that's good to know.

I always just feel weird because it seems I pick my guy instantly and my opponent just bounces around the character select screen like they are ADD riddled crazies with heroin injected into their eyeballs before settling on Sagat, Ryu, Ken - ad naseum.

Just pick who you want to play jeez!

Though there's probably nothing more satisfying then getting a good TAP3 though some chumps fireball and making him eat my glove. Keep scrubbin it up scroto's!

I dont understand Round 1 quitters.. Round 1 is supposed to be about feeling-up your enemy and figure out their style and habits

I got killed by Flowchart Kens in Round 1s and learned that they were just that and punished them in Round 2 and 3 for their ''AI'

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Fersis said:

Abel: Almost no influence... but i can see some B.Battler and Goro Daimon in him

Get your SNK goggles off please

HOLY SHIT LOOK THEY ALL JUMP, THEY RIPPED MARIO BROS!

HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT PUNCH, ITS JUST LIKE THE WAY FULGORE PUNCHES IN KILLER INSTINCT OMG WHAT A RIP

This type of talk its getting annoying. A female fighter wearing a suit doesnt mean anybody ripped anything. And God forbid, SNK came up with latino fighters with lucha moves?

Its OK to love SNK all you want, but don't justify your company preference with bullshit arguments of who stole what.

Fersis

Raging Spaniard said:
Get your SNK goggles off please

HOLY SHIT LOOK THEY ALL JUMP, THEY RIPPED MARIO BROS!

HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT PUNCH, ITS JUST LIKE THE WAY FULGORE PUNCHES IN KILLER INSTINCT OMG WHAT A RIP

This type of talk its getting annoying. A female fighter wearing a suit doesnt mean anybody ripped anything. And God forbid, SNK came up with latino fighters with lucha moves?

Its OK to love SNK all you want, but don't justify your company preference with bullshit arguments of who stole what.
I love my SNK goggles :mad:
Hey man,even the producer Ono admited the Vanessa and C. Viper connection :D
On the other hand: Calm down dude, i didnt want to start some kind of crazy discussion.
Cheers.... tough i really love SNK.
And what about Ryo and Ryu ? :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Ono admitted to the Vanessa ripoff.

There was a definite SNK direction taken with this game- though I see it as more Fatal Fury then KOF with the invincible backdashes, ultra being gained by getting hit, char designs, focus attack faking, etc...

It feels like a hybrid of Real Bout and Garou with SF chars and 6-button controls at times.

The sad thing: Capcom did a better SNK game then what SNKP could ever pull off now.

Played 41 games today (half ranked, half player match) and fought 1 Cammy, 2 Bisons, 1 Blanka, 1 Sagat and an El Fuerte - all the rest were Ken, Ryu or Akuma :\

Totally in love with this game, up to nearly 40hrs now with a BP over 2000, but I really wish people would choose some different characters now and again... :(

Xater

Man most Akumas I've encountered all play for their Ultra or Super. Too bad non of them are able to cennect them lol.

Fersis

Dizzy-4U said:
Sorry, SNK still has the worst boss ever:
k4wbp2.png
Oh yeah, Fatal Fury Special Dominated Mind. worst game title ever. :lol
Tough you cant compare that fatal fury to SF III, the character designer should have worked a little harder.
Anyway, i didnt ment to start some crazy fight so sorry.
Again Sorry.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Fersis said:

If they ripped off anyone with El Fuerte it'd be VF's El Blaze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXk2PUyPPYY

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
flarkminator said:
Awesome, that's good to know.

I always just feel weird because it seems I pick my guy instantly and my opponent just bounces around the character select screen like they are ADD riddled crazies with heroin injected into their eyeballs before settling on Sagat, Ryu, Ken - ad naseum.

Just pick who you want to play jeez!

I ALWAYS bounce around the character select screen and wait for my opponent to pick before I pick Balrog. It's not for match-up purposes, it's purely to annoy people like you. I want to get into their head before the match even starts :D

Top Bottom