• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

ultim8p00

Banned
Wow, I stuck to this game and I'm amazed at how good I've gotten. I remember playing the game on very easy and easy thinking "wtf is this shit? easy my ass"

Then I went into practice mode and played with the AI. Slowly, I started doing better and better. Sure enough, went back into arcade and now I'm playing on medium, and the only person killing me is fucking Seth on the second round. Man he gets really pissed off the second time around. Starts teleporting all over the place.

I can't wait to get my gold subscription up that way I can play some gafers

Zeliard

NYR said:
What is the best way to start off a match with Sagat? I normally kick it off with a low fireball, and see if he jumps in for a tiger uppecut - my problems start when they do something I don't expect....like standing there or just blocking my fireballs, lol.

I know I do have a tendency to jump in, which gets me toasted, and I need to work on that. Currently, I do not have low kicks and low punches mapped - I choose to map a throw and focus, instead. Is this a mistake? It has been working for me so far...

Sagat's light kicks (standing and crouching) are very valuable.

Nose Master

Mr Jared said:
Believe it or not, even when everyone is sharing sticks, some players don't wash their hands ... so my girlfriend made this sign and posted it on the bathroom door from the inside.

3331625747_e1228c03d8.jpg

Will it work? Only Twitter knows for sure.

Please scan that so I can put it up in my bathroom.

ultim8p00

Banned
Also, has anybody encountered this? I was playing an Akuma the other day. Man, like I'm starting to think the revenge meter is kind of annoying, since basically what happens is that I'll beat the Akuma player, so he'll get his revenge meter, then turtle until he manages to dp me or floor me, the RAGING DEMON UTRA when I'm getting off the ground. FUCK! That shit pisses me off.

ultim8p00 said:
Also, has anybody encountered this? I was playing an Akuma the other day. Man, like I'm starting to think the revenge meter is kind of annoying, since basically what happens is that I'll beat the Akuma player, so he'll get his revenge meter, then turtle until he manages to dp me or floor me, the RAGING DEMON UTRA when I'm getting off the ground. FUCK! That shit pisses me off.

Jump if he's using the ultra. You should be able to escape it.

"Also, has anybody encountered this? I was playing an Akuma the other day. Man, like I'm starting to think the revenge meter is kind of annoying, since basically what happens is that I'll beat the Akuma player, so he'll get his revenge meter, then turtle until he manages to dp me or floor me, the RAGING DEMON UTRA when I'm getting off the ground. FUCK! That shit pisses me off."

Uhhh...just jump dude.

_dementia said:
omgimaninja and I had the most epic turtle match Balrog vs Fei
Those matches were lots of fun. You have a nice variety of characters you play as, and I whiffed so many attacks and ultras...as usual.

AZ Greg whooped on me just now. I should have just stood still against his Vega because I had no idea where he was hopping around to haha.

NYR

Killa Sasa said:
Jump if he's using the ultra. You should be able to escape it.
Shiiit, I'll need to try that - I'll try blocking as I do against most Ultras and get blasted, regardless.

Won

ultim8p00 said:

Wait! So people get hit with it? Didn't know that. I take everything back Akuma players.

Wow that was amazing timing.

I was playing ryu against a ken in a ranked match.

Was about to sweep him 2 rounds when i noticed my super meter full. I dashed in, punch, hadoken, then canceled into the shinkuu hadoken. Best part was the first KO'd killed him so it was just a KO screen with me charging in slow motion, blowing him away when it restarted.

Was fucking beautiful :O

"Shiiit, I'll need to try that - I'll try blocking as I do against most Ultras and get blasted, regardless."

Raging Demon is a grab. If you're holding up when you're waking up, it will not grab you. Conversely, because it's a grab, you can't block it.

ultim8p00 said:
Yeah, to be honest i dont really like how the revenge meter works either. Its certainly balanced, but i still dont really care for it. There should be a way to deplete someones revenge...maybe with focus attacks?

Iono...is there a way? I havent been on it much and still dont really know all of the little details.

is it some sort of ongoing joke, that if you get hit by akuma's ultra, you suck?

or am i missin something??

(i have yet to get caught by akuma's ultra in SF4) :lol

NYR

Teknopathetic said:
"Shiiit, I'll need to try that - I'll try blocking as I do against most Ultras and get blasted, regardless."

Raging Demon is a grab. If you're holding up when you're waking up, it will not grab you. Conversely, because it's a grab, you can't block it.
Makes sense. I think it is just my inexperience and expecting how to handle Ultras against other chars. I'll work on it. Thanks for the advice!!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
ultim8p00 said:

I hate these fucking things. They're easy enough to jump over but when they're timed perfectly they're so infuriating. And you KNOW that the match is going to come down to whether or not the Akuma can get his Ultra landed on you. They'll just sit there waiting for you. Fortunately at my level (i.e. dog shit level) most Akuma players aren't good enough to wait for the proper time to unleash their Ultra. They'll just do it and expect me to stand there and take it up the ass.

I do think the ultra threshold should be at like 75% or something. I dunno. It's a tough call.

Vdragoon

I've been caught twice.. once when i f jump and he was trying to do it already... jumped right into it. the 2nd one was weird, he did it.. i jumped... and somehow instead of him going under me my char gets passed back and down right into it =/

ultim8p00

Banned
No guys, I actually know to jump over it. But damn, it's so annoying that they do that. This guy was particularly good at it, he'd be far away enough that as soon as I hit the ground, he initiates it. Then, as I'm getting up, if I wasn't fast about it, bam, half my health is gone. I'd try to get to him, but he'd just do the sliding move to the other side of the screen.

What's just really pissing me off is the revenge meter, and the fact that the more you beat this guy, the more ultras he could do. And man, he spammed them like there was no tomorrow. He did about 6 to 7 ultras in a per match.

Damodar

ultim8p00 said:
No guys, I actually know to jump over it. But damn, it's so annoying that they do that. This guy was particularly good at it, he'd be far away enough that as soon as I hit the ground, he initiates it. Then, as I'm getting up, if I wasn't fast about it, bam, half my health is gone. I'd try to get to him, but he'd just do the sliding move to the other side of the screen.

What's just really pissing me off is the revenge meter, and the fact that the more you beat this guy, the more ultras he could do. And man, he spammed them like there was no tomorrow. He did about 6 to 7 ultras in a per match.

Yeah, but if he hits you and you live, you're gonna have an ultra ready. I think it's nice and balanced.

EraldoCoil said:
is it some sort of ongoing joke, that if you get hit by akuma's ultra, you suck?

or am i missin something??

(i have yet to get caught by akuma's ultra in SF4) :lol

Well most of the online scrubs just throw it out at full screen or at the worst moments, so there's no way anyone should get caught by that lol. Raging Demon is mainly a punisher and ainti-air. Jump in from a little too far? C. Viper whiff her burning kick? LOL gimme half ur life!!

Killer Sasa!!

Do you main Ken? I'm trying to learn him.. add me on psn and let's play some time! I keep getting schooled when I try to use him lol. I can never seem to land his mk crossup. Heeellpp

PSN - FindMyFarms

Zabka

I thought people were just exaggerating on the SRK forums, but Honda really is shit in this game. I don't get why they felt the need to gimp him so bad. His normals, his specials, his air attacks...they're all just inadequate.

ultim8p00

Banned
Damodar said:
Yeah, but if he hits you and you live, you're gonna have an ultra ready. I think it's nice and balanced.

Except that I use the xbox controller and trying to pull off Ken's shinryuken or shoryuraper is a bitch. I don't use supers or ultras at all when playing, only FADCs and simple combos and lots of pokes.

Shadow780 said:

I'm serious dude. He spammed these like crazy

Dartastic

FindMyFarms said:
Do you main Ken? I'm trying to learn him.. add me on psn and let's play some time! I keep getting schooled when I try to use him lol. I can never seem to land his mk crossup. Heeellpp

PSN - FindMyFarms

*insert Ken flowchart here*

thetechkid

So I just got the game for 360 this weekend, unlocked all of the characters so far up to Akuma, I can do everything fine I'm just having trouble getting the Super/Ultra requirement to fight Gouken. Am I a failure as a person now?

Dartastic said:
*insert Ken flowchart here*

But I never know if I'm supposed to $&%^ it Shoryuken, or jump back fireball! Which do I do first?!?

Balrog vs. Chun-Li

Can someone help a balrog player here? I have a hard time dealing with Chun's pressure after her lp kikouken. I always get hit with a standing fp if I try to FADC, and her fp range is just enough that if I try headbutting, she's safe. I also seem to get outpoked by her when it comes to zoning. I know most of it is just my fault as a player, but anyone got general advice on this match up?

FindMyFarms said:
Well most of the online scrubs just throw it out at full screen or at the worst moments, so there's no way anyone should get caught by that lol. Raging Demon is mainly a punisher and ainti-air. Jump in from a little too far? C. Viper whiff her burning kick? LOL gimme half ur life!!

Killer Sasa!!

PSN - FindMyFarms

I'm not OMG edma good with Ken, but I like to think I can hold my own in most matches. I'm not a flow chart either. I'm in transition from a pretty risky style with A LOT of crossover attempts and holes to a more reserved one that takes advantages of his awesome poke ability and ability to make damaging simple combos. Trying to add some Guile to him.

William F. is my main, but Ken is just too fun to play so I have to mix it up with him sometimes. I can play Ken to mid or high-mid level I think. Had trouble closing matches with him while I was playing slayn, but that comes and goes for me right now.

I'll be sure to get some matches in with you. And I want to see your Rog/Boxer :D.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Some people fall for cross ups over and over and over again. I know it's dickish to do that but whatever, they never block it. :lol

Got up to 989bp today, wanted to try for 1000 but now I'm down to 905. =\

gg iam220 solid sagat. i haven't ran into too many of those online. i need practice using ryu, i never use him as often as I'd like.

EDIT: I got my 360 TE stick. who's the best 360 and PSN players on gaf. I need someone to attempt to humble me!

Awesome, I managed to snag one of the Street Fighter 4 gamepads with Chun Li on at a Gamestop today!

This time, it's for real! Let's do this!

*Gets ass-raped by Seth for the 20th time*

Go fuck yourself, Capcom!!

The stream is good Jared. The Balrog streak was interesting. I was the one that asked about it being uploaded to youtube, as I won't be able to watch all of it.

I was able to clear all of the normal trials on PS3. I probably should've done it on 360...but I want to be able to clear all of the challenges...

NameGenerated said:
What is a target combo, and why is it different from a regular combo?

target combo is a chain of specific normal moves that can be easily comboed in sequence

Ken's close MP, HP (don't wait for the MP to finish animated, Cancel it on its hit with HP)

Chun-Li's jumping HP, HP

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
akachan ningen said:
You don't have to link it, just press the buttons one after another. It's basically an EZ mode combo.
Does Ryu have an target combos?

Also, what is an "infinite"???

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
akachan ningen said:
You don't have to link it, just press the buttons one after another. It's basically an EZ mode combo.
Please explain the definition of 'linking' something.

I don't get it :(

I manage to do trials semi competently, but I don't understand when someone says 'you have to link this one...' or whatever.

does anyone else not use these silly ultra moves when playing online or is it just me? Even when losing I wont use them.

I like to be an offensive player but when playing a Sagat or Ken for example i have to go defensive when there ultra is up. I know if I jump in then the ultra is coming and bang there goes 60% of my health bar.

Supers are great but there was no need for capcom to put in these ultra moves.

kobashi100 said:
does anyone else not use these silly ultra moves when playing online or is it just me? Even when losing I wont use them.

I like to be an offensive player but when playing a Sagat or Ken for example i have to go defensive when there ultra is up. I know if I jump in then the ultra is coming and bang there goes 60% of my health bar.

Supers are great but there was no need for capcom to put in these ultra moves.

I get killed with Ultras all the time from wake ups. I'm also a aggressive player(not that I'm good though), I main Ryu but I don't use special moves that often. I like to stay in my opponents face and attack with the normals. When I sweep them, I like to stand over them and throw a axe kick or overhead punch. I may pull this off a few times in a row, but then BAM, I get hit with a wake up ultra and I know I'm fucked because Ryu is already in the process of doing the move so I can't block or anything.

So lately I've been playing it safe and have been throwing fireballs or stay close but not close enough to be thrown.

catfish said:
Please explain the definition of 'linking' something.

I don't get it :(

I manage to do trials semi competently, but I don't understand when someone says 'you have to link this one...' or whatever.
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/200...ains-and-links-street-fighter-3-third-strike/

This is from the 3rd Strike guide, but the terminology is universal, in Street Fighter. In addtion to what's explained in the guide, if you learn how to read frame data, you can figure-out links for each character, on your own. If you peruse that site's SFIV section, you can find frame data for SFIV characters.

Top Bottom