• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Aeris130 said:
How do you land the reflect? If I cancel the hP, it comes out too fast and hits beneath them while they're falling.

(<3 Rose) as a rose player, the best option for a whiffed SRK is either a sweep then cross up with m.k, but gotta be kinda quick because they might just do a wake up SRK, another option is a crouching m.k -> Spiral Drill timing isn't too bad, or just a standing Heavy P. cancel -> Light soul spark. i don't really like using the reflect as and offensive tactic, too slow and the damage isn't that great, so try to stick to using reflect as a defensive fireball tool,because she'll 95% of the time lose a fireball war.

i love rose but her gameplan is really hard to get used to, she really lacks good or even decent combos, so you gotta mainly rely on her superior pokes that have insane reach. C.HP is your anti-air friend, soul throw is also great but it usually gets beat by alot of other air attacks so just be careful.

GrayFoxPL

gutter_trash said:
I find Rose and Guile to bore me more

You met Rose online? What internet is this?

I love Dan. Especially Dan's super. Shame it doesn't run forward like original Ryu ranbu.

For the last fight of the day I met a Ryu that made the most dedicated Ken's flowchart followers look like fucking rocket scientists. I screwed around round 1 building super and finished him off with a ultra after he missed his metsu hadouken. In round 2 I killed him with super but already first few hits did the trick. :lol I got the epic "You are bitch" message afterwards. :lol

People say player matches are better, but it's actually where I met most of my rage quitters, grievers and other shit nuggets. Player matches are mostly easier, but so what if there are so many whiny assholes there. Only thing better in player matches then ranked is a little more diverse characters you can fight.

I was playing ranked yesterday, and got matched with an absolutely scrubby flowchart akuma. The guy would do nothing but jump back air fireball, land fireball, then teleport, in that order. I felt bad doing this, because he was obviously new to the game, but since I was Balrog, I just charged his TAP for 40 seconds. Hit him once, took off HALF his bar, then did it again, and killed him lol!. 4 TAPs = ranked win haha. He later sent me a message asking how I haxed him lol.

GrayFoxPL

gutter_trash said:
invite me on PSN and entertain me to prove me wrong :p
you are on my PSN list
do it!
prove you wrong on what subject? o_O

I had excelent matches from gaf friend invites. I don't put random player matches I talked about with those in the same bag.

We can play tommorrow if you want?

GrayFoxPL said:
prove you wrong on what subject? o_O

I had excelent matches from gaf friend invites. I don't put random player matches I talked about with those in the same bag.

We can play tommorrow if you want?

okay LOL, I was about to eat left-over pizzas.
So instead of Monday Night Raw, it will be Monday Night Super Dynamic Cooking Time

GrayFoxPL

FindMyFarms said:
I was playing ranked yesterday, and got matched with an absolutely scrubby flowchart akuma. The guy would do nothing but jump back air fireball, land fireball, then teleport, in that order. I felt bad doing this, because he was obviously new to the game, but since I was Balrog, I just charged his TAP for 40 seconds. Hit him once, took off HALF his bar, then did it again, and killed him lol!. 4 TAPs = ranked win haha. He later sent me a message asking how I haxed him lol.

You were called a haxor? I envy you.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Have I been really lucky in ranked games or have most of the scrotos left? I've only played 1 Ryu and 1 Sagat today and both were competent. Everybody else has been Abel, Blanka, Bison, etc.

GrayFoxPL

Archie said:
Have I been really lucky in ranked games or have most of the scrotos left? I've only played 1 Ryu and 1 Sagat today and both were competent. Everybody else has been Abel, Blanka, Bison, etc.

It's getting diverse. Ken players got bored. Still, you are lucky too.

Huggers

Had some good fights with a couple of Gaffers over the weekend (Fersis and Grayfox I think). I've been using Dhalsim and Bison a lot. I'd definitely say the number of Shotos I've been meeting in ranked games has gone down a little, thankfully

MoxManiac

I'm still facing kens. I fought a flowchart ken which had like 3600+BP, was kind of unsettling. And when i saw flowchart ken, i mean flowchart ken to the t.

GrayFoxPL

The Hug Dog said:
Had some good fights with a couple of Gaffers over the weekend (Fersis and Grayfox I think). I've been using Dhalsim and Bison a lot. I'd definitely say the number of Shotos I've been meeting in ranked games has gone down a little, thankfully

Yeah, it was me. First time I played against great Sim. Learned to focus hit his long members, thanks! :lol Also Dan's ultra going right through Dhalsims Yoga Catastrophy was :lol.

Huggers

GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah, it was me. First time I played against great Sim. Learned to focus hit his long members, thanks! :lol Also Dan's ultra going right through Dhalsims Yoga Catastrophy was :lol.

:lol Yeah I didn't see that coming

Thanks man I have been working on my Dhalsim, he's fun to use and not too many people seem to use him. Fight again sometime

I've been playing quite a lot of player matches inbetween grinding arcade mode to get Seth (why I want this, no idea). I've stayed the heck away from Ken if only to lessen the amount of Ken being played by 0.000039%, and I'm getting decent with some others.

My current main is Fei-Long. I can dismantle most people with him, even Sagats (unless they're really good like a guy I met today). His c.MP and c.HP are pure awesome all the way. I'm mostly a poking guy, I don't have the skills for combos but I can do decently with just pokes and tactical play.

Then I play a lot of Rose, and then in descending order Abel, Zangief, Dan, and occasionally Vega and Dhalsim.

I really like Rose, even though she's extremely weak if the enemy is decently skilled. When I smell a flowchart, I always go with her. I got demolished by some heavy lag which made all the fierce Shoryukens hard to deal with, but otherwise I do okay. I take down jumpy opponents with Soul Throw (which makes them stay very much grounded after a few hits), keep them guessing with sparks and reflects, and do lots and lots of low pokes.

I'm also finding Dhalsim tons of fun, especially against fireballers. I don't have the greatest win record with him, but he makes matches so much fun. I'm in the air most of the time, intercepting their jumps or Hadokens with stretched limbs, poking away. If they come close I mainly try to teleport away. And the Ultra->Teleport is pure awesome all the way for catching noobs. Most of the time I don't even have the timing down to do something from the other side but they sure like eating my huge ball of fire :D

GrayFoxPL

The Hug Dog said:
:lol Yeah I didn't see that coming

Thanks man I have been working on my Dhalsim, he's fun to use and not too many people seem to use him. Fight again sometime

Yeah, sim's pretty rare. Keep it up, those teleport setups are a mindfuck! :lol

Let's play soon.

I have a question to fellow gaffers: Can you focus back dash out of the first hit of ken's Fierce shoryuken?

It often seems to me that it's possible for it to just scratch just before escaping with back dash, but I've been shy to test it in real fight.

mosaic

go eat paint
You know the problem with EVERYONE using Ken online? I've been using Ken since day 1... I don't mean when SFIV came out, I mean since 1992. I had long blond hair at the time! It felt right! I've been playing that SOB for 17 years!

And now everybody new to SFIV is starting with him instead of Ryu. Used to be, Ryu got the bad rap and Ken got a pass. Now it's the other way 'round.

Dammit, I don't care what anyone says... I'm playing Ken!

But I do at least mix it up and don't stick to 100% fireball / dp!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
gutter_trash said:
I find Rose and Guile to bore me more
I've played a rushdown Guile before and I didn't mind the loss. Makes me wish you could save replays.

Also, Guile's super to ultra is hilarious.

rise888

GGs last night timedog. Your Sagat was solid and your ryu was very tricky. Are you playing on a pad or stick?
my GT was SALTYWET

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Kintaro said:
The in-game cutscenes crush the anime shit in the game. Told you they should have just did everything in game. :D
Even then, they tend to have too many quick cuts. Makes me think of Xavier Renegade Angel. (Most eye hating show ever made.)

Almost got to 3,000 BP last night then fell back to about 2,600 or so. Now whenever I look for "more skilled" I literally get 6 returns on average because I'm in the top 4,000 for BP. :(

I've logged over 70 hours in this game already. How time flies with this sucker!!:D

TimeKillr

Okay, so there's 2 things I've been thinking over today.

1- I really wish there was some sort of global stat tracking for Player Matches. Nothing too fancy, mind you, and if the other person disconnects you get a win. That sort of stuff. It's really unimportant, but it's there as a measure of skill more than anything. In the last few days I've barely ran into competent people on PSN and I'm starting to feel like I'm stagnating with my Abel.

2- I would love to get my ass beaten. Seriously - if you're a good player on PSN, add me and I'll play you. I'm freaking tired of beating these random folks who don't do much and I don't want to play Ranked, so...

PSN id: TimeKillr

Huggers

TimeKillr said:
Okay, so there's 2 things I've been thinking over today.

1- I really wish there was some sort of global stat tracking for Player Matches. Nothing too fancy, mind you, and if the other person disconnects you get a win. That sort of stuff. It's really unimportant, but it's there as a measure of skill more than anything. In the last few days I've barely ran into competent people on PSN and I'm starting to feel like I'm stagnating with my Abel.

2- I would love to get my ass beaten. Seriously - if you're a good player on PSN, add me and I'll play you. I'm freaking tired of beating these random folks who don't do much and I don't want to play Ranked, so...

PSN id: TimeKillr

Hey man I just added you. I'm not great but will give you a few fights now if you fancy it

Taking a few days off from this has done my BP score a world of good. So many scrubby players now have higher battles scores just because they play endlessly. So when I hop on with my Abel or Balrog, beat those suckers down for about 30 mins, I gain around 450 BPs. Now sitting around 2500. Tasty.:D

Thrakier

jacobs34 said:
Less Kens.

But nothing trophy or stats related? I'm a Ken player too, don't know why there is so much hate. I like him. Although I like Ryu a bit more. BTW, what's the big difference between them?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just got off first (non-arcade) session and got totally destroyed by (pleasant) randoms. I need a stick so bad.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
OuterWorldVoice said:
Just got off first (non-arcade) session and got totally destroyed by (pleasant) randoms. I need a stick so bad.

We should play sometime.

I'll probably own you, but that's not saying much.

And I'll be gentle.

You guys have to help me.

I finally got the game and I used to play SF2 a ton so I adapted quickly to the controls and have been handing my cousins ass to him. However, he has gotten really good at timing the ultra combo and I cant for the life of me get that shit to work. I am playing as Ken and all he will do is a EX Dragon Punch if I am lucky. Is it just a pain in the ass to do with the PS3 controller?

My cousin is talking all kinds of crap now so its imperative I figure this out.

BruceLeeRoy said:
You guys have to help me.

I finally got the game and I used to play SF2 a ton so I adapted quickly to the controls and have been handing my cousins ass to him. However, he has gotten really good at timing the ultra combo and I cant for the life of me get that shit to work. I am playing as Ken and all he will do is a EX Dragon Punch if I am lucky. Is it just a pain in the ass to do with the PS3 controller?

My cousin is talking all kinds of crap now so its imperative I figure this out.

Try doing the input a little slower, you don't need to do it as fast as you probably think you need to.

Edit: Please excuse my re-post, but I still haven't resolved this issue of mine:

"Ok so what gives...GameFAQS says that these are the requirements for unlocking Akuma: "After unlocking Sakura, Dan, Cammy, Fei Long, Gen and Rose, Play with someone you've beat the game with and get at least 1 perfect (on single round matches) and use no continues."

So I just did that using Cammy (since I have beaten the game before with her). I got 2 perfects, used no continues, beat Akuma first try and it didn't unlock him. I researched online and there were reports that you needed to get an Ultra finish as well. So I played again, got 3 perfects (one of which was on Akuma), and 2 Ultra finishes; used no continues. He still didn't get unlocked. WTF? Is it because I'm playing on the easiest difficulty?"

MisterAnderson said:
Try doing the input a little slower, you don't need to do it as fast as you probably think you need to.

So just hit down - forward, down - forward + R1 a little slower. Ill try it thanks for the quick reply.

BruceLeeRoy said:
So just hit down - forward, down - forward + R1 a little slower. Ill try it thanks for the quick reply.

For your super, yeah, ultra would be L1 (assuming it's a punch ultra...also just assuming you made a typo but thought I'd correct you just in case)

Top Bottom