• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Wow...

I didn't find any good ranked matches with good connections so I decided head down to Player Match servers. Well I searched for players with higher "skill" than me and found xXxTroubledxXx from the United States with a BP of 2000. Well he had some titles and icons that I hadn't seen before so I thought maybe he would be good. He picked Ken and he wasn't good. He was pretty bad, but I made some mistakes and he got one round of 3. Well I beat him with Balrog and I wasn't even turtling or anything. I put the pressure on and beat him in to the corner while punishing his lame DP/Hadouken attemps. On the last round on the KO mark, the guy quits.

Then the show starts. Remember this was in the player match not ranked.

Him:"wow u suck cheap fighter"
Me: Don't play if you can't handle defeat

Him:but i was better u knew u were going 2 lose i dont blame u 4 getting cheap
Me: I don't remember what I replied but something about his lack of skills

Him:u did repetitive moves to win so in my book u suck ive couldve easily stood back and kept doing hadukens
me: I could have beaten you even more easily if you had done that.

Him:no u wouldnt have not how i play
Me: *Explains various ways to beat hadoukens with Balrog*

Then we take some rematches. He gets lucky with Ruy (these were 2 out of 3 so...), but after that I destroy his Ken twice a row. Then I decided to leave.

Message comes...

Him:ur garbage learn 2 figt with ur repetitive moves takes no skill u did like 3moves the whole game
Me: What about your 40 hadoukens and 20 DPs?

Him: yea cuz u were being cheap dumass u kno no combos haha
Me: Didn't you see how comboed my super combos after dashes? What about your ultras?
*he did random wake up ultras with ken and also with ryu which I blocked 90% of the time.

Him:i landed 2 ultras wit ryu
Me: *Told him how to land ultras with FA so people can't block them.

After this he stayed silent and probably file a complaint or something. :D
Winning has never felt so good, even if it was a flowchart Ken.

Huggers

Just got my ass kicked by JustinTime. Thanks for the games man, I was actually on the phone the whole time which was making playing really difficult, sorry I had to go so abruptly, play again sometime. You're a badass with Gief

Personally i'm starting to think most people online are spamming no matter which character they choose. I had a Blanka do nothing but crossup kicks, a Honda nothing but butt splashes, Sagat jumping fierce kick until X point, then endless fireballs. A retard Bison who after EVERY knockdown stood right next to me and jumped straight up, fierce kick, fierce kick fierce kick. It's not fun to beat these people and their simple tactics.. and it's definitely not fun when you lose to them! The Blanka in particular is lucky it was online and not in the same room as me, or else my arcade stick would have found it's way around the back of his head with a thump.

Personally speaking, i've found Balrog is one of the worst. Everyone plays him exactly the same. Start the fight, always duck/charging. Try get close, crouching fierce (which almost always connects cause of a combination of it's speed and lag). Jump in, deep fierce and either crouching fierce again or spam light punch. How is that any better than Ryu/Ken players who spam specials? The only difference is Balrog's using only normals and hence he's at much less risk if he misses. Not to mention those normals do twice as much damage as a connected Ryu/Ken special anyway. Worst part about it for me is half the time i can't even punish a blocked Balrog special (even with a simple sweep) because of lag.

DogWelder

BruceLeeRoy said:
So just hit down - forward, down - forward + R1 a little slower. Ill try it thanks for the quick reply.
I don't like that advice. If you want to juggle into the ultra, you don't have time to be methodical. And if you're doing a naked ultra, you may get it off 100% of the time, but you're going to telegraph your move. A better way is to try using the thumbstick instead of the d-pad. And after the first QCF make sure the stick returns to the neutral position.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
the androgyne said:
Personally speaking, i've found Balrog is one of the worst. Everyone plays him exactly the same. Start the fight, always duck/charging. Try get close, crouching fierce (which almost always connects cause of a combination of it's speed and lag). Jump in, deep fierce and either crouching fierce again or spam light punch. How is that any better than Ryu/Ken players who spam specials? The only difference is Balrog's using only normals and hence he's at much less risk if he misses. Not to mention those normals do twice as much damage as a connected Ryu/Ken special anyway. Worst part about it for me is half the time i can't even punish a blocked Balrog special (even with a simple sweep) because of lag.
You just described exactly how I use Balrog...:lol It works fairly well. =\ I do charge punchs and EX punchs too, also TAPs.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
After 32 hours of playing with Gouken and Chun-Li, I've come to the conclusion that I don't like any encounters with either Blanca or Zangief. They make me feel small and worthless. :(

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
It's fucking unnerving to deal with fireballs when there is lag and you have a character that needs to get close. And it's always the laggy players throwing them.

I can't block them worth shit when approaching with Zangief when playing online.

Coupled with this always-jump no matter which direction gamepad I am really annoyed right about now.

The Chef

1cesc said:
I don't like that advice. If you want to juggle into the ultra, you don't have time to be methodical. And if you're doing a naked ultra, you may get it off 100% of the time, but you're going to telegraph your move. A better way is to try using the thumbstick instead of the d-pad. And after the first QCF make sure the stick returns to the neutral position.

Thats awesome man I had the same question.
I am going to try this right now.

NameGenerated said:
You just described exactly how I use Balrog...:lol It works fairly well. =\ I do charge punchs and EX punchs too, also TAPs.

Yeah i forgot, most of the time you only ever see a Balrog do a special when they're gonna pass right through a fireball. Oh and the headbutt on wakeup.

And Zangief, oh Zangief. I seriously hate this matchup. In a guaranteed situation, my Fierce Punch > Fireball or DP tends to screw up thanks to lag, leaving me with just a fierce punch. You'd think, considering you just smacked Zangief in the face there'd be some sort of delay on his end, enough for you to, i dunno, MOVE after your fierce. But no, before you recover from doing the move, he's recovered from getting HIT by the move, and has SPD'd yet again.

Sigh...

no more challengers? I'm knocking down GAFFers left and right.

I need a good GAFFer to challenge me, because right now I'm on a "holy shit I'm awesome" high that needs to be put in place.

Somebody --- please...

make my day

XBOXLIVE
CminusWARRIOR

I use:

Bison
Vega
Balrog
Honda
Blanka
Guile
Ken (he's my main, but I no longer really use him in SFIV since I've been using him for about 10 years)
Gen -- and Gen is awesome, I'm really starting to improve -A LOT- with this guy.

And if I really want to be a bitch I just use Ken and medium kick poke/ kara throw people to death.

PS: More on Gen, I fought this incredible Gen player from Japan on ranked -- he fucked me up so bad I wanted to cry. The guy was flipping out all over the place juggling me like a bitch. My asshole was sore afterwards.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
C- Warrior said:
Sigh...

no more challengers? I'm knocking down GAFFers left and right.

I need a good GAFFer to challenge me, because right now I'm on a "holy shit I'm awesome" high that needs to be put in place.

Somebody --- please...

make my day
XBL or PSN?

Darkman M

So the new hotness is cheesing with blanka now? He's pretty retarded in this game more so then a y other character. Seems like people are catching on i just fought 3 sight cheese blankas

Darkman M said:
So the new hotness is cheesing with blanka now? He's pretty retarded in this game more so then a y other character. Seems like people are catching on i just fought 3 sight cheese blankas
1. Pick Abel.
2. Ultra on blocked Blanka Ball.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Darkman M said:

Yeah, I always like doing the Blanka dash (foward+KKK) -- especially with charge characters like Balrog, pisses them off so bad since it resets the charge.

I'm on XBOXlive btw, and PS: I'm not really -all- that good lol. I have about a 79% win percentage with about 3100 BP. (i don't play too much on ranked).

I have about 800 matches logged in? I think...

EDIT: I'm really getting tired of playing as Balrog, I play best with him -- but it seems so FUCKIN forumulaic.

1) Jump in, jab, jab, link medium, dash/headdbutt
2) TAP thru fireballs
3) Medium --> Headbutt
4) EX through attacks
5) Headbutt --> Ultra
6) Yet another lifeless win...

Vega is SOOO MUCH MORE FUN TO PLAY as but as far as ranked goes -- he's my weakest.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
C- Warrior said:
Yeah, I always like doing the Blanka dash (foward+KKK) -- especially with charge characters like Balrog, pisses them off so bad since it resets the charge.

I'm on XBOXlive btw, and PS: I'm not really -all- that good lol. I have about a 79% win percentage with about 3100 BP. (i don't play too much on ranked).

EDIT: I'm really getting tired of playing as Balrog, I play best with him -- but it seems so FUCKIN forumulaic.

1) Jump in, jab, jab, link medium, dash/headdbutt
2) TAP thru fireballs
3) Medium --> Headbutt
4) EX through attacks
5) Headbutt --> Ultra
6) Yet another lifeless win...

Vega is SOOO MUCH MORE FUN TO PLAY as but as far as ranked goes -- he's my weakest.

STFU. I'm 53% win percentage and 2400 BP. Send a friend invite to archie4208 and I'll let you beat me up for a bit. :p

Darkman M

C- Warrior said:

Yeah your on my fl i think, i recently picked up balrog as my main and just lost 104bp to a blanka player with about 700bp..., and almost lost to an 179bp blanka..... i have no answers for him with rog..

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
C- Warrior said:
I'll add you when I get online tonight.
Alright. I gotta go to bed in like an hour or so so we might not get to play tonight, but I'd love to play you in the future. :p

MoxManiac

Rocky_Balboa said:

You definitely have more patience then I. I don't even bother responding to those people. I usually just find my next ranked match or leave if it's a player match. Those people usually aren't any good, they don't want to learn the game or from their mistakes, and they wrap their ego up so much in the results of matches that they feel the need to send abusive messages instead of stepping back and figuring out what went wrong.

AZ Greg

Just got an invite a few minutes ago but was in a match. Not sure if it was someone from GAF or not, didn't recognize the tag. If it was someone from here, I'm available now.

Chittagong

Gold Member
are dragon punches with Ken and Ryu super easy in SFIV or is my TE stick responsible for the magic? I used to struggle with them, but now I dragon punch like a mofo

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Chittagong said:
are dragon punches with Ken and Ryu super easy in SFIV or is my TE stick responsible for the magic? I used to struggle with them, but now I dragon punch like a mofo
Probably a bit of both. I can do DP's semi reliably on a 360 controller. That should tell you something. :p

Chittagong said:
The command timing window is longer and DF,DF+P works as a shortcut

God /DAMN/ I can not get this normal El Fuetre challenge.

Heavy punch -> Gordita Sorbat -> El fuerte dynamite.

This is probably the hardest one I've encounter yet. C.Viper's were pretty hard but this one is just stupid. I can't get it =(

Arde5643

What a good day - I had some great games with some GAF folks here: AZ Greg is beastly with his Vega (although luckily Honda's fat lard is able to take some punishment :) ), I also played against someone with a Dhalsim that has a pretty good potential to be quite dangerous although luckily Honda again comes to the rescue with his fat lard (MarredJin I think).

Good games, guys! :D

I'm the guy who keeps going from Fuerte to Honda to sometimes Vega(Claw) or Sakura.

Chittagong said:

theres a reason SF IV has your everyday ken traveling with dragon punches across the screen.

Stantron

Rufus has a combo trial where he needs to combo j.HP, HP, HP+hcf, LP+hcf. How the hell do I do the last move without the ultra coming out? Is there some specific timing to this one?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I am in the mood to play some games and would like to try playing some new gaffers I haven't played yet. Who is on psn and wants to play some matches right now.

add me: slayn777

AZ Greg

Good games Arde. I really need to get someone on my list who mains Honda. I don't fear him like I do Blanka, but I don't play nearly enough Hondas to know the match. My aggression always bites me in the ass when I face him. I also need to break my old Super Turbo style of sliding. I get punished way too much with SF4 Vega's slide.

And damn Fuerte can be tricky. I ate way too many Tostada Presses trying to anticipate what you would do. I thought I had you that last match when I did the ultra as you were running away. You were able to get the Tostada Press off and use its beginning invulnerability to dodge the ultra though. :(

MoxManiac

Stantron said:
Rufus has a combo trial where he needs to combo j.HP, HP, HP+hcf, LP+hcf. How the hell do I do the last move without the ultra coming out? Is there some specific timing to this one?

Do it with your opponent in the corner. After the last hit of the galactic tornado hits, simply do a LP tornado immediately after, it'll hit the opponent once as they are falling down.

For the HP tornado, remember to hold forward when doing the move.

Dartastic

flarkminator said:
God /DAMN/ I can not get this normal El Fuetre challenge.

Heavy punch -> Gordita Sorbat -> El fuerte dynamite.

This is probably the hardest one I've encounter yet. C.Viper's were pretty hard but this one is just stupid. I can't get it =(

I'm having problems with just the crouching medium kick to super. =(

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I swear having auto full super in trials makes some of them so much harder. I always cancel into supers that I didn't want to do.

Arde5643

AZ Greg said:
Good games Arde. I really need to get someone on my list who mains Honda. I don't fear him like I do Blanka, but I don't play nearly enough Hondas to know the match. My aggression always bites me in the ass when I face him. I also need to break my old Super Turbo style of sliding. I get punished way too much with SF4 Vega's slide.

And damn Fuerte can be tricky. I ate way too many Tostada Presses trying to anticipate what you would do. I thought I had you that last match when I did the ultra as you were running away. You were able to get the Tostada Press off and use its beginning invulnerability to dodge the ultra though. :(
I have lots of problem as Fuerte going against Vega though - his low health and lack of punishing options mean that I have to go against Vega as carefully as possible since it's hard for me to punish your moves.
I actually have an easier time going against Blanka since a lot of his attacks are punishable by Fuerte.

You're right about the match with Honda - all I did as Honda was trade the damage with Vega since any trade options is much worse for Vega than Honda.

Stantron

MoxManiac said:
Do it with your opponent in the corner. After the last hit of the galactic tornado hits, simply do a LP tornado immediately after, it'll hit the opponent once as they are falling down.

For the HP tornado, remember to hold forward when doing the move.
Thanks. Finally got it after many tries. Also thanks for the bolded, I did not know that.
Geez, these trials are tough with the 360 pad.

Stantron said:

Wait, what?

That's a really simple combo. Not sure what you are getting at. How would the super come out if you are doing QCF LP?

(and remember Galactic Tornado is a QCF not HCF) (Also was this combo even in the trials? You may have written this wrong.)

Wait till you get to the hard challenges :D J.HP, S.MP, S.LP, C.MK, QCF PP will give you headaches.

kuYuri

God, I'm such a Street Fighter whore. Bought the Shoryuken pack. >_<

Anyway, one thing that frustrates me about playing fighting games like this is that I try to do one move and another comes out. For example, I want to do Hadouken, but instead do Shoryuken.

In this case, this happened to cost me a match. It was myself as Ryu vs. a Ken and we had 3/4 or less life each. We were walking back and forth several times. I want to do an EX Hadou, but a Shoryu comes out. I completely whiffed it of course and ate an Ultra. FUUUUUUUCK, I yelled at my TV at that point.

I'm never going to get the Playing To Win trophy at this rate.

Won

Dartastic said:
Once again, trouble with El Fuerte. Jump HP to HK to super. WTF.

That one is nearly impossible. 19 out of 20 times the kick will be blocked.....personally I just gave up on his trials. It is not like there is any use for them anyway.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Arde5643 said:
What a good day - I had some great games with some GAF folks here: AZ Greg is beastly with his Vega (although luckily Honda's fat lard is able to take some punishment :) ), I also played against someone with a Dhalsim that has a pretty good potential to be quite dangerous although luckily Honda again comes to the rescue with his fat lard (MarredJin I think).
Hah. Yeah, I need to get my execution down better. Still largely playing a SSF2esque Dhalsim.

Top Bottom