• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

CPS2

Spiderjericho said:
Okay, I was just taking at the SRK thread...Ultras...the ruin of fighting games...

This video was posted at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9WsBNOs2EQ&feature=PlayList&p=39F33DAF8CE53C0B&index=57

Right now, I'm in the middle on ultras. If you watch the video, the Crimson Viper was actually owning the Akuma player. But because Kuma had an ultra built up...and knew to exploit Viper's flame kick to land the SGS...he was able to win the matches and come back from defeat in three rounds. The concept of the Ultra is cool. But one's play style shouldn't have to switch to turtle fest the minute someone gets one... Viper is a character that has to be able to do her tricks in order to win. But to not flame kick...would nerf her strategy.

They definitely need to curb the focus attack absorbs, reduce the damage and only allow one per round.

BTW, that one Viper combo executed during the 1up stream was wicked. Can't wait until the download.

That's not exactly a reliable tactic, waiting for someone to whiff a move and then landing the ultra. Also, imo it should switch to a turtle fest when someone gets meter. Look at all the other SF games, see how many supers go through fireballs and see how people have been changing their tactics before and after the opponent gets meter for many years...

Totally bizarre discussion. Ultras are not easy to land against good players and I don't see anyone running back to SF2HF.

Sweet new t-shirt up over at Penny Arcade:
hadouken4blacktee.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
2DMention said:
I should play this some more this weekend. I haven't touched it in a week.

I am sad about the fighting stick situation. By the time they're available, I will probably have lost interest in this. And I prefer playing Tekken on a pad anyway so it's not like I'll buy and hold onto it.

The scalping on those sticks is insane. I hope a lot of hoarding pre-orderers get stuck with three or four units at the end of the hype, and then have to trade them in at Gamestop for $10.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
jordan0386 said:
Guile can kiss my ass. Having to charge two moves in a row? I guess I could practice it.

He is useless vs shoto, in my play experience. That's all you really end up playing anyway.

Rufus is another great character, imo.
Depends on the Shoto I guess. Most are idiots that think they must jump at you constantly. Flash kicks, crouching fierce, and air throws take those down no sweat.

Brannon

So sweet. Me (Rose) vs Ken on ranked. Recently been practicing focus blocking, so he went into his fireball spam and I parried them until I was at half health. Also I was getting closer with each parry. Then I decided to reflect one of his fireballs EX style, which was damn lucky because he threw an EX fireball and he really took it up the ass there. Followed with an EX Soul Spark which surprisingly went unblocked. By this time all of my energy came back and he was calling me a cheater.

He jumped for the sky, expecting me to try to Soul Throw (I have adopted the title of Grab King for a reason), but screw that; I learned long ago not to abuse ST. I dashed back, saw his foot come out, and unleashed the one True Ultra for the win.

Best thing about Rose's Ultra is that it really is a 'fuck you' move. Getting offed by a Prinny scarf isn't exactly manly...

MIMIC

Banned
I pick Guile. My opponent intentionally waits for me to pick, and then hovers over Zangief and Ken :lol Flowchart Ken coming up?

A thrashing is in order. :D He's a God damned turtle to boot and manages to win 1 round. Destroyed him in R3. I had to change my strategy and just out-turtled him. It felt so....unnatural :-/

My roommate is nice.

Everyone should add us. Gt: Team215

I'll practice with guile when I get in, and if anyone wants some easy wins. Come and knock on my door.

I'm sure that's been answered before but the search is coming up empty for me, so sorry for asking for the probably millionth time.

The german Collector's Edition is on sale here and I'm debating which version to get, the 360 or the PS3-one. I'd probably jump for the 360-version, but I've read that the bonus movie is only on an xbox-exclusive disc instead on Blu-Ray like on PS3. Are there any technical or gameplay-differences between the two? Can anybody post some pictures of the german / european Collector's Edition?

Thanks in advance.

I just played a GAFFER (SpectreRT4)

The dude is awesome. He has a great Abel and Cammy. I pulled out my Fuerte and Vega who are like my only 2 good characters :( Haha.. Good games dude.

I'm proud of myself.. I just hit 2450 or something in BP. My highest yet. All using Fuerte! WOO!

UC1 said:
That's not exactly a reliable tactic, waiting for someone to whiff a move and then landing the ultra. Also, imo it should switch to a turtle fest when someone gets meter. Look at all the other SF games, see how many supers go through fireballs and see how people have been changing their tactics before and after the opponent gets meter for many years...

Totally bizarre discussion. Ultras are not easy to land against good players and I don't see anyone running back to SF2HF.

I disagree. They are easy to land if you know situations. Now am I saying...OMG...ultra...throw your hands up in the air and rejoice. No. I'm just saying...the Akuma player knew that if Viper threw out a flame kick...70 percent damage. Now, it was the Viper's player's fault for continuing to do the flame kick.

But man...that just changes the complexity of the match. From a psychological and pace perspective. It's not like TS or ST where you build the meter...the meter is given to you when you get your ass raped. In the case of the Viper player, he never even had a chance in some cases to use his ultra back because of the revenge meter being so high (which equals more damage).

You're right though. Meter changed the complexity of Street Fighter. In A2, it was the fear of getting rebuked with an alpha counter (they almost worked liked parries) or the Valle CC. A3...V-ism and guard meter. TS...EX moves or the fear of low medium Ken kick super, Chun Li kick super or Yun custom combo.

I just think they need to tweak it a little bit. In some cases, if you're using focus attacks, you can get two within a round. And the damage is ridiculous. Forty or forty five percent would be fine. Not the ridiculous damage Viper took (well...Kuma's damage and Viper's stamina don't play well together).

i21r0m.jpg

This combo has been driving me NUTS for the past hour. How do I get the heavy punch in after the focus attack? After my focus attack connects it won't let me do SHIT. Can someone please point out what I need to do to pull this combo off?

MoxManiac

polyh3dron said:
i21r0m.jpg

This combo has been driving me NUTS for the past hour. How do I get the heavy punch in after the focus attack? After my focus attack connects it won't let me do SHIT. Can someone please point out what I need to do to pull this combo off?

Try cancelling the focus attack into a dash immediately after it connects

MIMIC

Banned
polyh3dron said:
I'm hitting forward on the stick like crazy the second the focus attack connects but then I press the heavy punch after the dash and Akuma doesn't punch.

Wait until after the dash.

MIMIC said:
Wait until after the dash.
I'm mashing HP repeatedly and it doesn't do anything until Dan is on the ground and then I'm punching air.

I can pull of a shoryuken after the dash, a hurricane kick, a whole bunch of shit, but not that fucking HP.

OK now that I have a bit more of a feel for the timing I can get the HP in but after that for some reason I can't do the EX hurricane kick that I can normally pull off flawlessly after the HP.. WTF ARRRGGGGHHHH

It's almost as if it requires stricter timing if it's following a FADC.

I'm almost about to break my VSHG in half in frustration.

polyh3dron said:
I'm hitting forward on the stick like crazy the second the focus attack connects but then I press the heavy punch after the dash and Akuma doesn't punch.

And I'm trying it with the focus attack charged half way and full as well.

It might be easier to do if you have them in the corner. Hold the Focus Attack until it's fully charged. Let go the second you see akuma beginning the attack and IMMEDIATELY dash forward. This way, you'll get a full crumple, and you'll be right next to them right after the hit connects. That's gotta be what you're doing wrong, because if you do that properly then you have a huge time window to land the fierce punch.

MIMIC

Banned
Just goofing around but if you do Akuma's taunt enough times, he'll FADC :lol (out of what, I'm not sure). I wonder if it'll work with anyone else.

I've had dan in the corner the whole time... Also the instant the FA connects I'm repeatedly hitting forward until i actually see akuma dash and then I'm actually getting my HP to connect now but now I can't get the EX hurricane kick to work even though I can easily pull the same thing off without the FADC preceding it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so i finally beat the game with everyone and im wondering...

what was the story exactly?

ok so...

bison created sin, which made an assload of super seth like warriors that could absorb the skills of fighters. bison was later killed by rose, one super warrior went rouge (seth) and took over sin. BLECE has something to do with Boiling Liquid Expanding Cell Explosion.... wut? sin set up a tournament so that seth could absorb the skills of the best fighters.... uh, balrog picked up this kid who has red eyes and super powers. rose had a vision about that kid. akuma and gouken are about to fight to the death. guile has the data, but cammy erased the data... um. Abel was a part of sin but left a project of there's or something. Guile gets info on nash from abel? what am i missing.....

i think thats it?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
-COOLIO- said:
so i finally beat the game with everyone and im wondering...

what was the story exactly?

ok so...

bison created sin, which made an assload of super seth like warriors that could absorb the skills of fighters. bison was later killed by rose, one super warrior went rouge (seth) and took over sin. BLECE has something to do with Boiling Liquid Expanding Cell Explosion.... wut? sin set up a tournament so that seth could absorb the skills of the best fighters.... uh, balrog picked up this kid who has red eyes and super powers. rose had a vision about that kid. akuma and gouken are about to fight to the death. guile has the data, but cammy erased the data... um. Abel was a part of sin but left a project of there's or something. Guile gets info on nash from abel? what am i missing.....

i think thats it?
They were
capturing fighters from around the world because they were using their ki to power the BLECE system. (Which is why Ryu was shouting about the dark hadou when he got near the BLECE generator and it kicked on) I think that Seth was supposed to be Bison's replacement body, but Bison insisted on being revived early cause of Seth's shenanigans.

"I've had dan in the corner the whole time... Also the instant the FA connects I'm repeatedly hitting forward until i actually see akuma dash and then I'm actually getting my HP to connect now but now I can't get the EX hurricane kick to work even though I can easily pull the same thing off without the FADC preceding it."

This is the problem right here, you're doing the dash too late. You need to input the dash command *as soon as* you let off of mp+mk. Don't wait until it actually hits to input the dash command.

xabre

Banned
The matchmaking is just pissing me off. After selecting 'same skill' in the search and encountering a never ending number of players hundreds of bp below me I decide to change the setting to 'more skilled'. What do I get? A never ending number of players hundreds of bp below me.

I thought Fei Long was really good until I started using Cammy :-( It's like the same type of character but better, only I have to stare at her naked ass instead of Bruce Lee.

Thank you for the air throw advice. Helped a little.

I got like 3 in a row one time.:D

He is still shitty vs great shoto's. I'll main him, and take all the losses.

Oh, going back a page or two to Ultras, how is the way Ultras work any worse than in say, 3s, where some characters can thrive by not actually doing much at all but running away and whiffing normals to build meter for free?

CPS2

gutter_trash said:
I LOLed when Fei-Long's Ultra lost to Zangief's Lariat today

I'm sure I've said this a million times, you've gotta combo the ultras. They aren't safe if you do them by themselves, they're actually the least safe moves in the game and can punished by literally anything.

edit: unless you're Ccrook -_-

UC1 said:
I'm sure I've said this a million times, you've gotta combo the ultras. They aren't safe if you do them by themselves, they're actually the least safe moves in the game and can punished by literally anything.
they are not all the same
I started Honda Utlra 1st, then Cammy started hers right after...... Honda's Ultra beat Cammy's

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
MIMIC said:
I pick Guile. My opponent intentionally waits for me to pick, and then hovers over Zangief and Ken :lol Flowchart Ken coming up?

A thrashing is in order. :D He's a God damned turtle to boot and manages to win 1 round. Destroyed him in R3. I had to change my strategy and just out-turtled him. It felt so....unnatural :-/

I'm telling you guys, host the matches! That way when they do this, you can do it right back by hovering over various stages on the stage select screen. I've gotten to the point that I will mimic the way they hover over the characters on stage select! :lol

Sadly I lost to a flowchart Ken player today. He got me with a full Ultra two rounds in a row. I feel ashamed.

Cowie

Lyte Edge said:
I'm telling you guys, host the matches! That way when they do this, you can do it right back by hovering over various stages on the stage select screen. I've gotten to the point that I will mimic the way they hover over the characters on stage select! :lol

Sadly I lost to a flowchart Ken player today. He got me with a full Ultra two rounds in a row. I feel ashamed.

Hahaha. I hate when you bastards start out on random, then move around the stages a bit. WE ALL KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO PICK THE STAGE WITH THE FUCKING PLANE SO YOU CAN UPPERCUT ITS WING OFF JUST DO IT ALREADY >:|

Chittagong

Gold Member
hahahaha, I just started to play with Dhalsim after competing the game with Ryu, Ken and Sagat, who I think I'm pretty good with. Dhalsim must be the worst character in the game.

- His aerial attacks towards enemy are very narrow horizontally, i.e. landing a hit with him from the air is tough
- He doesn't seem to have a close-combat-breaker like dragon punch, so once cornered, he's weak
- His flimsy limbs don't seem to do much damage, whereas he takes tons
- Compared to e.g. dragon punch, yoga flame is pathetically slow to execute

The only good thing I can think of for him is the long reach of his arms and legs, you can land some punches to the more stupid enemies.

Do Dhalsim fans exist? If so, please explain.

Balb

Chittagong said:
hahahaha, I just started to play with Dhalsim after competing the game with Ryu, Ken and Sagat, who I think I'm pretty good with. Dhalsim must be the worst character in the game.

- His aerial attacks towards enemy are very narrow horizontally, i.e. landing a hit with him from the air is tough
- He doesn't seem to have a close-combat-breaker like dragon punch, so once cornered, he's weak

The only good thing I can think of for him is the long reach of his arms and legs, you can land some punches to the more stupid enemies.

Worst character in the game? Not even close. There are many great dhalsim players.

Cowie

Chittagong said:

are you on xbl? If so give MicVlad an invite sometime. haha. I haven't actually played his dhalsim, but you can scroll back through this thread and read all of the sorrow it has caused.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Oh Abel...

FALLING SKY, FALLING SKY EXFALLING SKY, FUCKING A,

I DID"NT ASK FOR YOU, YOU NOT EVEN THAT INVINCIBLE!!!

GRRR!!!!!

You can get Grabbed of the Marseiller ROLL????? Really CAPCOM????

And WHY so many frames between my moves GODDANMIT,

And The FUCK I CAN GRAB TURTLES IN THEIR SHELLS Crouching?? IM A GRAPPLER RIGHT???

<sigh> all in all a good night:D

/end night on SF4 online

Brannon

MotherFUCKER!

I hosted my first match, and now instead of being the guy with the high BP losing tons when I lose, I'm the guy with the low BP winning tons when I win.

How the fuck did I not figure this out? Goddamn me in the face, this just blows it wide open. Now I just have to get used to fighting on the left side again...

Chittagong

Gold Member
DryEyeRelief said:

Yep, that's exactly how he plays, HP is the only worthwhile attack he has, so the players just seem to try to stay away and land a HP here and there. No close combat or offensive because he would hurt in both. So just teleporting to other end to the screen, backing away and landing a HP here and there.

Just compared to the richness of a decent fireball, dragon punch, hurricane kick and overall strong aerial mechanics, I can't quite appreciate what Dhalsim offers.

LakeEarth

Chittagong said:
Yep, that's exactly how he plays, HP is the only worthwhile attack he has, so the players just seem to try to stay away and land a HP here and there. No close combat or offensive because he would hurt in both. So just teleporting to other end to the screen, backing away and landing a HP here and there.

Just compared to the richness of a decent fireball, dragon punch, hurricane kick and overall strong aerial mechanics, I can't quite appreciate what Dhalsim offers.
Each character have their advantages. Dhalsim has always been the distance / never let the opponent in character.

Won

Chittagong said:

Maybe thats a bit better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjYk9TcMJts&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InEQE_-Y9lU&fmt=22

MicVlaD plays his Dhalsim really great.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Top Bottom