• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Rufus

The character usage statistics include single player arcade mode. I don't know if that explains the discrepancies completely, as I don't pay much attention to these statistics, but it should factor into it.

Dreavus said:
Are there any specific strategies for fighting Zangief? I play mainly play as Sakura, but even with other characters, I feel like I can't do anything other than try and keep my distance with fireballs and uppercuts. His command throws seem to out prioritize everything; I'll watch as the start up of my EX Shunpukyaku flashes, but then suddenly I'm being thrown. Basically it ends up being me desperately trying to keep him away, until I hit a corner, and then I'm pretty much screwed. As soon as he gets in; and I let up on a combo for one second, there goes half my health.

Any tips?

Just learn how to avoid his throws and you're golden. Every time you see an spd coming, jump straight up and start a combo from there. don't do ex anything on wakeup, either jump or block depending on the situation. Just learn the setups they use for spds and it should be easy. if he spams lariats, wait until the lariat is almost over and sweep, for some reason c.hp works at some ranges too. always antiair him with c.hp. Keep your combos simple.

MIMIC

Banned
Rufus said:
The character usage statistics include single player arcade mode. I don't know if that explains the discrepancies completely, as I don't pay much attention to these statistics, but it should factor into it.

At first I thought the statistics were counting ranked/player matches (since it said that I played millions of Ken and Ryus :lol) but then it said that I played Seth a bunch of times. I've only played Seth twice online so that couldn't be right.

ETA: Also, I practiced blocking Blanka's ultra in training mode. If he's right beside you, blocking that fucking move is very hit or miss (usually miss :lol)

MIMIC said:
At first I thought the statistics were counting ranked/player matches (since it said that I played millions of Ken and Ryus :lol) but then it said that I played Seth a bunch of times. I've only played Seth twice online so that couldn't be right.

ETA: Also, I practiced blocking Blanka's ultra in training mode. If he's right beside you, blocking that fucking move is very hit or miss (usually miss :lol)

are you blocking low when he pounds the ground, then high when he goes up in the air? When he's rolling you can block low or high.

TimeKillr

TurtleSnatcher said:
I just played a GAFFER (SpectreRT4)

The dude is awesome. He has a great Abel and Cammy. I pulled out my Fuerte and Vega who are like my only 2 good characters :( Haha.. Good games dude.

I'm proud of myself.. I just hit 2450 or something in BP. My highest yet. All using Fuerte! WOO!

Me and him often have Abel discussions. I can't wait to eventually play him :)

Won

What the......I just got the "playing to win" achievement....and I didn't win 10 matches in a row. (stats still show 8 as longest streak).....

Well El Fuerte ftw, I say! 2515 BP and cooking upwards!

Kritz said:
Could anyone recommend me a fighter to play as while I come to grips with the game? I've initially been trying to use C. Viper, but I'm currently too inconsistent with the 1/4 stick rotations to do anything well.

It's going to take me a lot of time and patients to get anywhere in this game, but I do find it a lot of fun. While the feeling lasts, I'll keep trudging through it and try to learn from my mistakes.

Shotos! Or to be more precise Ryu or Ken. People can complain as much as they want, but they are both pretty good starting points. You also can try charge characters. Boxer can be pretty easy to learn and is pretty good.

HiResDes said:
Fei Long is definitely better than Cammy, especially if you know how to use his command throw...
but... the cannon spike is way safer than the shienkyaku!

What's the great advantage of the command throw? What kind of free combos can you get with it?

Dr.Hadji

Is there any reason people are counter picking Akuma against my Gouken? Is it supposed to be a good match up? They lose hard every time.

And PSN::Berg443

Damodar

Dr.Hadji said:
Is there any reason people are counter picking Akuma against my Gouken? Is it supposed to be a good match up? They lose hard every time.

And PSN::Berg443

It's probably not counter-picking, probably just scrubs :p

jibblypop

Banned
So I played a bunch of Blanka players in a row today. Since I also pick Blanka, I found it fun to play them. I can see them using the same strategies I am so I have to adjust and think of how I would beat myself. Very interesting. I guess I beat about half of them.

One problem with this game is people. After about 10 minutes of playing online I start to see the same names over and over in ranked match.. and what I've noticed is the people I've beaten before will just drop out when they see my name again. Pretty lame.. they are probably going for the 10 wins in a row achievement but it's still annoying.

Cowie

Kritz said:
Could anyone recommend me a fighter to play as while I come to grips with the game? I've initially been trying to use C. Viper, but I'm currently too inconsistent with the 1/4 stick rotations to do anything well.

It's going to take me a lot of time and patients to get anywhere in this game, but I do find it a lot of fun. While the feeling lasts, I'll keep trudging through it and try to learn from my mistakes.

viper is a really hard character to learn this game with. She doesn't take damage very well and doesn't become really effective until a decently high level of mastery. For learning the basics I would probably recommend Ryu -- he just seems like the basic, solid street fighter character. He also has quarter circle rotation moves, but they're pretty essential to the game so it's something you'll just have to stick it out through. If you're interested in trying out a character with charge moves as opposed to rotations, it seems like Blanka is fairly beginner friendly in that respect.

Won

jibblypop said:
One problem with this game is people. After about 10 minutes of playing online I start to see the same names over and over in ranked match.. and what I've noticed is the people I've beaten before will just drop out when they see my name again. Pretty lame.. they are probably going for the 10 wins in a row achievement but it's still annoying.

This has nothing to do with achievements. People just hate losing way too much in this game. Same reason why people disconnect. Playing to win and all that.....

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Tips on cross-ups please. I am quite good with her but I need to mix-up new attacks all the time. I am good at some combos but I still need "something".

Dr.Hadji

Damodar said:
It's probably not counter-picking, probably just scrubs :p

I thought so too until I started taking high ranking Akumas down. And its pretty easy to tell they don't main the guy, that and I always pick my character first and they change character they were hovering over over to Akuma when I select.

Jazzem

I was just playing against an El Fuerte player, and he/she kept spamming a body slam move everytime my character was standing up after a fall, and he/she was hitting pretty much every time. Anyone else come across that? Is there a way to avoid it? (I was playing as Chun Li by the way)

Otherwise I'm loving this game :D

Aeris130

Jazzem said:
I was just playing against an El Fuerte player, and he/she kept spamming a body slam move everytime my character was standing up after a fall, and he/she was hitting pretty much every time. Anyone else come across that? Is there a way to avoid it? (I was playing as Chun Li by the way)

If Fuerte does it rigth as he stands next to you, it'll be a cross-up I think. Try blocking the opposite direction.

Won

Jazzem said:

That was me. :p

I have to blame the lag for that. At least I think it was a pretty laggy game and it is impossible to play El Fuerte properply with that much input delay, so I resort to the same thing over and over.
That said:
Block high in the other direction. I had plenty of problems against Chun-Li and her super long cross up legs, till I started to realize that all of them will hold down/back all the time. (don't know much about chun-li so it is learning by doing^^) Easy to press her.
Spinning Bird Kick. I don't play Chun-Li, so I don't know if it comes out fast enough on wake up, but if it hits, it will create enough room for to get your game going.
Also play as aggressive as possible. Don't let the Fuerte player do his thing. Walking backwards in the beginning, just isn't that good of an idea imo.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Won said:

I have to blame the lag for that. At least I think it was a pretty laggy game and it is impossible to play El Fuerte properply with that much input delay, so I resort to the same thing over and over.
That said:
Block high in the other direction. I had plenty of problems against Chun-Li and her super long cross up legs, till I started to realize that all of them will hold down/back all the time. (don't know much about chun-li so it is learning by doing^^) Easy to press her.
Spinning Bird Kick. I don't play Chun-Li, so I don't know if it comes out fast enough on wake up, but if it hits, it will create enough room for to get your game going.
Also play as aggressive as possible. Don't let the Fuerte player do his thing. Walking backwards in the beginning, just isn't that good of an idea imo.

EX SBK is instant IIRC.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Jazzem said:

EX Spinning Bird. Specific frames are hard to master, but it's quite possible to charge while lying down, and as soon as you see El Fuerte about to jump press UP and the MK+HK for a beautiful timed EX Spinning Bird that also works as a great wake-up for everyone

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I want to play against someone, if its a very good player then better!

XBL Lord Relix
Gonna wait a few mins...

Main:

Chun
Vega
Guile
Blanka
Honda

Yes, I am a charge character whore =P

Jazzem

Won said:

That said:

Haha no way! :lol What are the chances eh?

Thanks for the advice in any case guys (especially from the very person I was playing against, haha), thinking back I can see how blocking in the other direction would work. He's a confusing character to fight against, he moves all over the place!

I didn't know you could charge while lying on the ground as well, I'll have to keep that in mind for the future!

jibblypop

Banned
Does anyone know if this game keeps a list of statistics you can see? Not like win-loss but more like how many special moves you've done and things like that? I know they keep track because there are achievements based on it but are we able to see it somehow?

Captain N

I feel bad about not picking this game up in a few weeks. First it was Killzone..MLB...and finally Resident Evil 5. I can't wait to get back and losing to everyone, but Nick.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kritz said:
It was probably a terrible, terrible fucking idea to buy this game without ever playing a fighting game for more than a few hours, left alone never playing a Street Fighter game, and expecting some kind of "help I'm new" mode where everything wouldn't fucking DESTROY me.
Capcom is a strong believer in trial by fire. But when you emerge you'll be better for it.

edit: I've found that watching videos of high level play with commentary can help new players with strategy, even if it's from another SF game.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
yay. got my first hate mail. only "you suk" in the subject line though, I replied with an apology for beasting on him so I hope that will incite another message.

Captain N

Brobzoid said:
yay. got my first hate mail. only "you suk" in the subject line though, I replied with an apology for beasting on him so I hope that will incite another message.

I doubt it will be anything fun. He will probably write back. "you still suk"

Prezhulio

Brobzoid said:

whenever i get this message i send back "i'm horny". either get's no response or an even more pissed off message :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
God's Beard said:
wait... cammy doesn't have an overhead? :-( :-( :-(

Really quick just off the ground Cannon Strike might be quicket.

It's a trick used by Ukyo players in Samsho for years...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
arstal said:
Really quick just off the ground Cannon Strike might be quicket.

It's a trick used by Ukyo players in Samsho for years...

that counts as an overhead? are you sure?

2DMention

Banned
I beat most people who have <1000bp, but struggle against Sagat with Rose. Rose fireball reflector doesn't seem to come out fast enough.

I've also noticed people who beat me seem to have all E's as their rank.

I always rank
Attack: A
Defense: C
Tech.: C

when I beat people with Rose.

Teknopathetic said:
"I've had dan in the corner the whole time... Also the instant the FA connects I'm repeatedly hitting forward until i actually see akuma dash and then I'm actually getting my HP to connect now but now I can't get the EX hurricane kick to work even though I can easily pull the same thing off without the FADC preceding it."

This is the problem right here, you're doing the dash too late. You need to input the dash command *as soon as* you let off of mp+mk. Don't wait until it actually hits to input the dash command.
you are the fucking man... all this time I was doing the dash way too late and I never would have known. Thank you.

Won

2DMention said:
I beat most people who have <1000bp, but struggle against Sagat with Rose. Rose fireball reflector doesn't seem to come out fast enough.

I always rank

You only see your own stats. If you see only E's it means that you really sucked in that match. :p

MrOctober

Banned
2DMention said:

I always rank

Sagat's fireballs are really fast.

jibblypop

Banned
ah good finally my first hate message on xbox live:

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA you will never get my BP. QUIT OUT!"

as pathetic as that message is.. the really funny thing is that he never quit on my end and my BP score actually did go up. however i dont even give a shit about BP cuz i just play for fun. I guess playing for fun is out of style nowadays.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Captain N said:
I feel bad about not picking this game up in a few weeks. First it was Killzone..MLB...and finally Resident Evil 5. I can't wait to get back and losing to everyone, but Nick.

:lol

sike! telling those bold face lies :D

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Can anyone teach me the timing on doing Balrog's headbutt into ultra? I can't never seem to get it hit more than once. I've tried also doing it as fast as I can but nothing comes out.

Haunts' superguide does say that it should be possible but I just can't find the timing.

Any tips?

Doc Evils

Osaka said:
Can anyone teach me the timing on doing Balrog's headbutt into ultra? I can't never seem to get it hit more than once. I've tried also doing it as fast as I can but nothing comes out.

Haunts' superguide does say that it should be possible but I just can't find the timing.

Any tips?

I really hate Balrog's. They seem to turtle up and I can't break their block.

Brobzoid

Osaka said:

Any tips?
you need to change up the ultra a little. when you hold down a kick button you do a hook instead of a straight, so you want to hook, straight (whiff), hook, hook, finisher. If they're in the corner you need to whiff twice I think.

hwateber

Osaka said:

Any tips?

hold kicks for the first hit, release for the second, hold for the rest

Bennettt2

just from watching other people play the game, and also from having a few turns myself, SF4 seems like a step back from SF III 3rd Strike. SF4 seems much more simplified. I'll probably still buy it though.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Brobzoid said:
you need to change up the ultra a little. when you hold down a kick button you do a hook instead of a straight, so you want to hook, straight (whiff), hook, hook, finisher. If they're in the corner you need to whiff twice I think.

Daaamn. So I do the normal ultra movement and then press all kicks, then release it and press again?

kiryogi

Banned
Sigh, I'm still working on my timing on Chun's dash into ultra. >_< On side note, I was able to dethrone a winning streak Sagat once last night @ Gameworks :D

Brobzoid

Osaka said:
Daaamn. So I do the normal ultra movement and then press all kicks, then release it and press again?
only need to press one kick, which ever one you favor, for it to work. although you can start charging a TAP by pressing all three.

Top Bottom