• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Oichi said:
Japanese players will be at Evo this year. From what I have heard, on the Capcom side, Mago and Umehara are interested in going. For Soulcalibur 4 there seems to be two or three players who are seriously considering attending, since the scene for SC in Japan is very uh, non-existent.

Oooh....can't wait to see what they do against the Gootecks and J.Wongs.

C.Viper...thunder cancels into ultras....c'mon....

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Spiderjericho said:
Oooh....can't wait to see what they do against the Gootecks and J.Wongs.

C.Viper...thunder cancels into ultras....c'mon....

I was on Alpha-ism (SF podcast) the other day to talk about Japan SF4, and honestly... aside from Gootecks and JWong and maaaybe one or two other players, I don't think anyone is going to touch the JPN players if they ever come to America, or vice versa. The level of competition around Japan right now for SF4 is unreal, and you can't really grasp how it is until you start playing here for a month or so.

Zapages

Had some real awesome games with gutter_trash, he as really awesome honda and dictator. Also his Balrog is really good too. :)

Had a lot of tonight ggs man!!!

Any tips for my scruby Ryu and Abel man???

PS: I did own some Ken player over 2000 points in Ranked games with my scrubby Ryu though, which was awesome because the game ended with a FADC and then ultra. Also I am now around 1200 BP, yaya. :)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What is that thing that El Fuerte does that he hit like 6 times in a row with a Fierce Punch ?
o_O
Is he cancelling the run forward with LP and then doing the Fierce Punch?

Holy shit...the gods must be crazy with C.Viper's trials....

Was anyone able to complete her third trial? I'm not grasping the whole SJC into ultra. She always ends up jumping

"What is that thing that El Fuerte does that he hit like 6 times in a row with a Fierce Punch ?
o_O
Is he cancelling the run forward with LP and then doing the Fierce Punch?"

That is exactly it.

TimeKillr

Oichi said:
He's not banned... there was just talk of him being possibly banned because he was a secret boss in the arcade version, and no one knew if he'd be balanced or not. FWIW they were also talking about banning Seth at the same time. Shinblanka (the guy who runs the Final Round tournies) initially banned Gouken and Seth pre-console release, but then lifted the ban as soon as he realized that they weren't broken.

Japanese players will be at Evo this year. From what I have heard, on the Capcom side, Mago and Umehara are interested in going. For Soulcalibur 4 there seems to be two or three players who are seriously considering attending, since the scene for SC in Japan is very uh, non-existent.

That's probably why I kept reading he was banned (along with Seth).

I wasn't really understanding why he'd be banned - throw into ultra is easy enough to avoid if you're careful although it's a HUGE advantage since you need to back the hell away from him whenever he has his ultra meter built up. Then again they become predictable - all they'll do is attempt grabs (from my experience anyway). Jump up! :)

Zapages said:
Had some real awesome games with gutter_trash, he as really awesome honda and dictator. Also his Balrog is really good too. :)

PS: I did own some Ken player over 2000 points in Ranked games with my scrubby Ryu though, which was awesome because the game ended with a FADC and then ultra. Also I am now around 1200 BP, yaya. :)

Add me, I'll play your Abel, see if I can give you a few tips. Mine's pretty good (I think!) :)

psn: TimeKillr

Spiderjericho said:
Holy shit...the gods must be crazy with C.Viper's trials....

Was anyone able to complete her third trial? I'm not grasping the whole SJC into ultra. She always ends up jumping

Oh my gosh...seriously... I was able to do her third trial. It's the most wicked link...standing light kick, qcf lp, qcfu 3P.

And Gouken is wack. Seth does too little damage to be dangerous. I think in the upgrade...they need to boost his damage but change the range or priority of his moves...so he's useable.

Chorazin

Timedog said:
oh this is cool. i lost exactly 100 matches in a row now. wow, time to accidentally fall into the sewer and then accidentally live there forever. i belong in the sewer. someone come corral me and put me into the sewer please.

Play different characters. If you're using one all the time, sorry, you suck with that one. Try them all!

Zapages said:

GGs Zapages!
be careful with Ryu's Ultra because the other player can jump over it if they were not doing anything.

My Barlog was actually sloppy LOL

*Iwill undergo a Blanka training for next week or so... I know there are many Blankas out there but this is something I must do

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
gg's yahwehpurpledubmagic.

i guess that puts my losing streak at exactly 117 games. i can't even move without getting hit. guile got 3 perfects on me in a 3/5 match. my guy couldn't even perform a move before guile was comboing my ass to heaven. he taunted me like 40 times. it was so sick. i can't even believe myself. i feel like i crawled out of a sewer and doin't know how to play video games, only how to eat garbage and have nasty diseases. i really need help to not lose at this game.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Zapages said:
Ermac, it was great battling you man. :)

You have pretty solid Gouken and Ryu. :)

How were my scrubby Ryu, Abel, and Rufus?

GGS as well. I'd say your Abel is the best of the three. Go for the tornado throw a bit more often, it's a decent surprise, especially when someone is trying to throw you.

Regarding Gouken, his dash has a very small window on the start-up where he won't slide through fireballs. Also, he plays nothing like a shoto, mainly due to his lack of a dp.

I would suggest demon flipping over a fireball if it's too late to do a dp. A combo I use often is the demon flip + lk, fp xx ex dp, then you can FADC into his ultra or any other combo. Does solid damage and once you land the first hit they can't escape.

(When I say dp I'm referring to his slide)

BitchTits

I've developed a nasty habit of taunting. I know it makes you look like an ass, but it's fun.

I had a great moment earlier where I (Chun-Li) was VS a particularly Super/Ultra-happy Akuma player. I taunted him, he does his Ultra, I jump up, land in front him into Chun-Li's super finish, that was pretty satisfying. :lol

BitchTits said:
I've developed a nasty habit of taunting. I know it makes you look like an ass, but it's fun.

I had a great moment earlier where I (Chun-Li) was VS a particularly Super/Ultra-happy Akuma player. I taunted him, he does his Ultra, I jump up, land in front him into Chun-Li's super finish, that was pretty satisfying. :lol

Taunting is hilarious. I love doing it - it makes them play harder and/or make mistakes.

It's good for when morons try to counter pick you, and during the match, you are just mopping the floor with them. This is super frustrating for me because if I'm playing ranked, I've picked my character within 4 seconds, and just want to get into the fight. Not only do they probably not have it installed, but I don't give a damn who people pick - the game is balanced extremely well. And these guys are just not good enough, so it doesn't really matter who they pick - tiers do not affect them. Waiting on Honda and then choosing *gasp* OMG AKUMA is not making me shit my pants with fear exactly.
You do that, I become a "cheap" SOB :D (in ranked matches only, of course) and you get rushed down. Ditto goes for when dumbasses try to "out-character" me. I play to win, but also for fun. It's fun to me when you put douches in their place :D

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Spiderjericho said:
Yeah...what's so bad about Gouken...that he needs to be banned? The average player isn't going to be able to fully utilize him. And other than throw into ultra...what else does he have? Akuma in HD Remix...sort of understandable (raging demon glitches, damage, air fireball traps...properties on fireball and shoto moves).

I wonder if any Japanese players will be coming to Evo this year and create a splash like the Urien or Yun revelations in TS?

It was widely believed when the game came out him and Seth would be either broken, or overnerfed. Seth was overnerfed, which I don't mind, as Seth is too stupid to be a playable character, but Gouken's about right.

If any revelations occur- it will be with Viper.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
arstal said:
It was widely believed when the game came out him and Seth would be either broken, or overnerfed. Seth was overnerfed, which I don't mind, as Seth is too stupid to be a playable character, but Gouken's about right.

If any revelations occur- it will be with Viper.
If he was overnerfed it clearly didn't apply to the AI version.

Chorazin

Two steps forward, one step back. Got to my highest BP ever tonight, won more than I lost, completely stuffed a Blanka after following the excellent advice I got a few pages back, and then lost to a Seth with 14 BP, losing 100 BP. :(

hwateber

Chorazin said:
Two steps forward, one step back. Got to my highest BP ever tonight, won more than I lost, completely stuffed a Blanka after following the excellent advice I got a few pages back, and then lost to a Seth with 14 BP, losing 100 BP. :(
I lost around 80 BP to a Seth too. Nobody here even wants to pick him so I had no idea at all how to beat him. I think his ultra's hitbox is too big :(

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
PhatSaqs said:
Thats Arturo Sanchez. Pretty beastley.

Know any similar level of monster on XBL? I need people to break my game down so I can rebuild it, I'm afraid I'm getting to the point where I'll get ingrained bad habits like every other fighter.

Most games I end up having goofy crap get stuck into my game that I can't unlearn- except for KOF98. I did play Arturo in KOF98 in GGPO last year. That was hilarious.

ShyGuy

Apologies if this has been asked already, but are the links to each character's Trial mode success videos?

I'm having trouble with a few of them and would love to see them in action.

Thanks!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ShyGuy said:
Apologies if this has been asked already, but are the links to each character's Trial mode success videos?

I'm having trouble with a few of them and would love to see them in action.

Thanks!
Naw, you're going to have to tube it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Chorazin said:
Jesus, that guy was a whiny bitch. I didn't see a lick of lag, only a dude getting his ass whipped.

And that Gen cancel was hot, but I don't think it did as much damage as the Ultra alone would have.

Yea I think he did it to be showy. In the prior match he did the hands > Super > and then instead of ultra he did that weird aerial bicycle kick move Gen has. More practical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7aOSJxNwDs&feature=channel_page

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
arstal said:
Know any similar level of monster on XBL? I need people to break my game down so I can rebuild it, I'm afraid I'm getting to the point where I'll get ingrained bad habits like every other fighter.

Most games I end up having goofy crap get stuck into my game that I can't unlearn- except for KOF98. I did play Arturo in KOF98 in GGPO last year. That was hilarious.

mago2dgod

PhatSaqs

Banned
arstal said:

Plenty. Lookup iloveu, EdmasterB, or maximilian923. Guranteed ass kickings right there :lol

haunts said:
EX Cannon Strike into Ultra?
Hey! That's not listed in your mycheats guide! I didn't know you could do that.

Brannon said:
EX Hooligan!
This is the most fun move in the game. It also works way more often than it should againt people who know better.

Wolfwood0 said:
I have to agree with you dude. Im to the point of learning another character. Im confused how capcom put her in this game with NO OVERHEADS and NO SAFE SPECIALS. You can jungle into her ultra but ive found the timing online to be pretty wonky with her. Most other characters are much more forgiving. IMO its better to Focus crumple into it.

Guile is a complete monster against cammy. Ive had a couple of guys who never left the db position cause they knew they didnt need too. I hope this isnt just me having trouble winning with her.
Yeah, I've improved against Guile but the hardcore turtles are still a nightmare. Cammy may be lacking tools to deal with turtles but the big problem is my lack of patience. I'm willing to wait them out most of the time but occasionally you run into a real Tim Sylvia motherfucker who's just determined to put on the most boring match possible. Those guys have me beat from the start.

CPS2

Chorazin said:
Jesus, that guy was a whiny bitch. I didn't see a lick of lag, only a dude getting his ass whipped.

And that Gen cancel was hot, but I don't think it did as much damage as the Ultra alone would have.

Erm you know you can't see input lag right?

gutter_trash's Honda is serious business. Had some awesome Guile vs Honda matches, most of which went the full 5. Probably the best round was one where I had him about 40% to his 5%, and he canceled his super (which I blocked, and tried to punish) into his ultra, which obliterated me :D. He burned me sooooooo badly with that :lol Had lots of fun, we'll have to get some more matches in.

PS. Also, thanks for the matches. I immediately fought a 4200 BP Honda twice and took about 200 points from him :lol. Yours was a lot better, this one kept trying to jump in on me, and was a lot more predictable than you. At 3986 BP, 100 hrs, and still going strong :D

jett

D-Member
Just played SF4 for the first time at a friend's house. It looks SO FUCKING GOOD GODDAMN, I played it a 42inch 1080p LCD, sweetness. The game itself, well I was more bummed out than I thought I'd be about not having parries, hate fireballfests, the jumping feels weird and I can't link combos the way I could in SF3. Something feels off. Still pretty fun though.

Oh and the 360 controller is a fucking POS.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
jett said:
Just played SF4 for the first time at a friend's house. It looks SO FUCKING GOOD GODDAMN, I played it a 42inch 1080p LCD, sweetness. The game itself, well I was more bummed out than I thought I'd be about not having parries, hate fireballfests, the jumping feels weird and I can't link combos the way I could in SF3. Something feels off. Still pretty fun though.

Oh and the 360 controller is a fucking POS.

I can pull off moves perfectly with analog, have you tried the analog?

jett

D-Member
SteveO409 said:
I can pull off moves perfectly with analog, have you tried the analog?

I can pull everything with relative ease but the supers on that shit controller, analog or dpad it doesn't matter.

It's so fucking satisfying beating the shit out of counter-pickers. I usually just rush off and pick my character without any of the bullshit, but the way some people think long and hard on who's the best counter for your character is fucking annoying.

Also, Seth's explanation on how blind matchmaking is an unfair request from the fans was the dumbest shit ever - patch this fucking shit; no one gives a flying fuck if it's the true Japanese way!

Top Bottom