• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

haunts

Bacon of Hope
dankir said:
Usually a standing Fierce Kick or Fierce Punch does the job. I've been playing through all the characters and beat him pretty easily with just countering with standard attacks.

Haha I meant a real player using Seth aka my friend Alex.. X_x

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
UC1 said:
I've found the best cure for this is, play someone way better or way worse than you. If you're playing someone around the same skill level and it's all safe moves and tech throws, yeah it can seem a bit dull. But when you play someone who's busting out combos way harder than hard mode trials like it's nothing, or you're busting out your own combos on someone else, it's mad fun.

Also, less online more offline. A bit of lag introduces shady mind-numbing tactics.

I have no good option for offline play. Simply put, the locals who play this do their things when I work, and quite simply, my life isn't fighting games anymore. Not to mention the pot smoke and Guilty Gear love- I can't stand either one of those.

I would if I could but It's not worth it for me.

Yeah, when I play better people I can open up more, but when I play worse people it's too easy.

MoxManiac

bob_arctor said:
Ha! This almost EVERYONE online. Round starts, immediate moon-walking, back and back they go into their formidable bunkers.

I love it when they go back themselves up like that, since Rufus's BS gets magnified when he has the opponent in the corner.

Okay, I think I'm giving up playing online at least until I move back to the UK. Most my matches are 1 bar shitfests, and I'm lucky to even find someone with 3 bars. The difference when I play online and when I play with my friends is pretty staggering, and I honestly feel that I wont be able to improve if I continue playing these 1 bar matches.

le sigh.

ShinAmano

Level 8 Boss said:
When Blanka has an EX bar, don't hadouken.

LP and I think MP beat out Blanka balls, so spam them if you think one's coming. Oh and you can punish blocked Blanka balls with a Metsu.
Nice thanks. Any good blanka players want to go a round or 100 tonight on xbl? Dont know if I really have time for 100 but more then a few for sure.

Kara Tiger Knee

Lk and MK tiger knee are safe on block if you only hit with the second hit. Kara let's you always be in range to do that. If you're too far to get a 2nd hit with the lk, but too close for the mk, you can kara lk tiger knee and get a safe hit. This lets you keep your poke strings going.

Also if your opponent is expecting a tiger shot after a standing lk or cr. mk, you can throw in the tiger knee to counter/armor break. Pretty much tiger knee + kara tiger knee = you can constantly pressure.

Forgot to mention : you can kara Tiger Knee w/ forward + lk, and forward + fk for even more range options.

toneroni

FindMyFarms said:
Kara Tiger Knee

Lk and MK tiger knee are safe on block if you only hit with the second hit. Kara let's you always be in range to do that. If you're too far to get a 2nd hit with the lk, but too close for the mk, you can kara lk tiger knee and get a safe hit. This lets you keep your poke strings going.

Also if your opponent is expecting a tiger shot after a standing lk or cr. mk, you can throw in the tiger knee to counter/armor break. Pretty much tiger knee + kara tiger knee = you can constantly pressure.

Forgot to mention : you can kara Tiger Knee w/ forward + lk, and forward + fk for even more range options.
thanks findmyfarms and haunts...gonna try it out after work :D

qcf x2

bob_arctor said:
Ha! This almost EVERYONE online. Round starts, immediate moon-walking, back and back they go into their formidable bunkers.

I use Viper. Unless the opponent has no idea how to block, this is the only way I don't get DESTROYED by random moves online.

In training I can fuck up fireball spam and Blanka ball all day (hell, I use HK vs the blanka ball), but with latency? Forget it.

@Revenant - don't worry, you're not the only one. I probably have a 99.9% win rate vs scrubs or beginners in 3s. But against randoms in SF4? Umm, well, my overall win rate was about 40% last I checked. And....no exaggeration here....MOST of my losses were against people who couldn't consistently pull off moves.

As a side note, I wish the "easy input" was an option, as I am close to convinced that it is negatively affecting my play. I have a modded stick with seimitsu parts, no problem with SF:AC (either game), but with SF4 certain things don't register.

I reaaaally wanna like this game, but between the AI glitch and the general flow of the gameplay, either I'm doing something very wrong (and afaik, I have a pretty decent grip on Viper's strategy, moves and combos, and I've seen many of her vids), or I suddenly am the worst Street Fighter player ever, despite having played the series semi-seriously for decades.

I posted this before and got no response, but if anyone wants to play/practice/whatever, my tag is USVI STAR

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
toneroni said:
have you done the challenges? That usually helps you with basic combos early on.

Hey Haunts, how do you rushdown well with Sagat? Trying to pick him up as an alternate character.

yeah i've done the challenges. i can do them all except that final insane ryu corner combo where he jacks the dude off in the corner with 80 ex and fadc moves.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
qcf x2 said:
I use Viper. Unless the opponent has no idea how to block, this is the only way I don't get DESTROYED by random moves online.

In training I can fuck up fireball spam and Blanka ball all day (hell, I use HK vs the blanka ball), but with latency? Forget it.

@Revenant - don't worry, you're not the only one. I probably have a 99.9% win rate vs scrubs or beginners in 3s. But against randoms in SF4? Umm, well, my overall win rate was about 40% last I checked. And....no exaggeration here....MOST of my losses were against people who couldn't consistently pull off moves.

As a side note, I wish the "easy input" was an option, as I am close to convinced that it is negatively affecting my play. I have a modded stick with seimitsu parts, no problem with SF:AC (either game), but with SF4 certain things don't register.

I reaaaally wanna like this game, but between the AI glitch and the general flow of the gameplay, either I'm doing something very wrong (and afaik, I have a pretty decent grip on Viper's strategy, moves and combos, and I've seen many of her vids), or I suddenly am the worst Street Fighter player ever, despite having played the series semi-seriously for decades.

I posted this before and got no response, but if anyone wants to play/practice/whatever, my tag is USVI STAR

I bolded one part but really, your entire post is relevant. What is about SFIV that makes this so?

This game hates me, I just can't get good with any controller.. I'm a lot quicker with a dpad on the 360 controller but I really need 6 face buttons atleast.. I can't use the dpad well enough with LB and LT for some ultras to come out since I have PPP and MP binded to those 2 keys.. I also have my DOA4 which is a lot more accurate.. I love having the face buttons but I'm so so much slower to execute multiple back to back moves requiring moving the stick.. much slower than a dpad =\ God =\

/cry

haunts

Bacon of Hope
qcf x2 said:

I agree... I get SUPERS instead of a tiger knee when I have full meter when I am rushing.. SUCKS.

I think with Viper I feel the same way, that I get hit with random moves, but its really becuase her pokes & footies game is really weak. A lot of ehr normals are wack and really the main way she does damage is off mix ups and cross ups which typically require the other opponent to be on wake up. She is hard to use but she is funnn..

TimeKillr

slidewinder said:
Where are you getting that from? The Shoryuken wiki says all versions of his Tornado throw have 5 frames of startup. Same source says that normal SPDs have 2 frames of startup (although Tornado still wins because of throw invulnerability, of course).

So I'm guessing Tornado Throw of different strengths have different invulnerability modifiers?

The Jab one definitely beats SPDs (and even EX SPDs) but the med and fierce ones don't, so I assume that either the data on the SRK wiki is wrong or there's missing information (like his Super, which has different invul modifiers depending on the button used).

Timedog said:
yeah more skilled. i remember when i got HDR and I thought i would step right into ranked and lost like 20 or 25 in a row immediately, but eventually I got back up to a 2/3 win ratio. I think i'm at like probably 30% win percentage right now and I'll never ever get it up to above 50%. i'm fucked. I'll be winning rounds but then I get hit with an ultra every time because i don't want to turtle. I'm using ryu. i can't meaty anything and I don't really use dragon punch.

Wow, it's like I'm looking at myself. You and I share many of the same qualities :lol

So I'm curious.

What do you guys think goes through Daigo's mind when he plays this game? What separates professional players like him from scrubs like us? Aside from the obvious execution gap, why are they so much better?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
i tried fucking taunting a guy 20 times in a row and i got fucking owned with his ultra. he fucking triple perfected my black ass.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
SpectreRT said:
What character are you trying to learn?

I talk strat all the time. I'd be happy to try and help you.
Been working on Sakura. With Rose I at least figured out a few things for getting shit started (the slide, soul spark and dashing in) but Sakura makes me feel like I'm on the defensive even more without having any of Rose's defensive mechanisms. I feel like I can never get an opening. Which is weird because I was doing awesome the other day and it kinda just fell apart.

bob_arctor said:
Wait, is this the part I commend the boring jerk spamming the same move since it copped him a win and you couldn't "adjust"? No wait, fuck that. Boring jerks are boring. Keep your head up, maybe take some time off and come back fresh.
It was funny that it was the Blanka spam that someone recommended I do to get points. Sleep is of course the ultimate refresher, I feel hardly as annoyed right now.

Those combo videos, like Haunts posted, are awesome but I feel like I need to learn the other 90% of the match which is getting to the point that you can land hits. I was being blocked most of last night not being able to get in, but it felt when it was my turn to block I just got smashed in within seconds. I feel like I'm still missing some fundamental to the gameplay.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
haunts said:
I agree... I get SUPERS instead of a tiger knee when I have full meter when I am rushing.. SUCKS.

I think with Viper I feel the same way, that I get hit with random moves, but its really becuase her pokes & footies game is really weak. A lot of ehr normals are wack and really the main way she does damage is off mix ups and cross ups which typically require the other opponent to be on wake up. She is hard to use but she is funnn..

Agreed- Sirlinized move inputting would help SF4 out tremendously. I get the accidental supers a lot as well.

As for Viper- I feel with her like I'm playing a toned down KOF char, so she isn't that fun to me. Really most of the newcomes to me feel like that, except Rufus- who fits in perfectly.

As for the above post of what separates tourney champs from other players- usually it's a combination of dedication, absolute confidence in their execution, and pressure. Seriously, when playing great players- I can actually sense the pressure they're projecting, and with solid players- the pressure they are trying to project. A few players give static instead of pressure- they know how to disrupt someone's rhythm- that's what I'm best at in most games.

the first step is simple: Don't panic. Know what you want to do in every situation- if you're way up or if you're in a pinch. Always have a coherent goal of how you're going to win the match from there.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
i usually think about getting a jump mp double hit into an ultra when i'm playing against good competition. i'll usually try for it like 10 times per round.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I'm still amazed people are believing TimeDog has had nearly 200 Ranked Losses in a row.

You people fall for that TimeDog sarcasm way too easily :lol

actually it's more just pure trolling. But i'm not kidding i've been getting triple perfected by dudes for trying to taunt the whole time. Somehow after akuma does his ultra if i'm in a taunt i can't get out of it, wtf?

also i don't do anything to the opponent on wakeup, i just throw a fireball for chip damage, maybe i need to put more pressure there on wakeup.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Top players just have a gameplan when they enter each match and also have a deep understanding of match ups. Execution is a factor too of course, but it's mostly controlling the match and knowing where to take it and what to do when it gets out of your control.

I've performed best at tournaments when I went in with a solid game plan, trying to land knockdown and mix ups with makoto or whatever. Putting the opponent in unfavorable situations whenever possible.

Other times I've just SHOWN UP and started playing obviously did a lot worse. Isnt until years later I look back and really see the difference.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
TurtleSnatcher said:
I'm still amazed people are believing TimeDog has had nearly 200 Ranked Losses in a row.

You people fall for that TimeDog sarcasm way too easily :lol
Hey, with as bad as I'm playing I could believe there is someone worse. "/
But now it's getting obvious.

y2dvd

A few things makes a player tops:

Execution
Reflexes
Decision-making

The average joe won't really bother to excel in these qualities but it comes a long way.

y2dvd said:
A few things makes a player tops:

Execution
Reflexes
Decision-making

The average joe won't really bother to excel in these qualities but it comes a long way.
hmmm...

Didn't you make it into the GameStop Finals y2dvd?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
haunts said:
Top players just have a gameplan when they enter each match and also have a deep understanding of match ups. Execution is a factor too of course, but it's mostly controlling the match and knowing where to take it and what to do when it gets out of your control.

I've performed best at tournaments when I went in with a solid game plan, trying to land knockdown and mix ups with makoto or whatever. Putting the opponent in unfavorable situations whenever possible.

Other times I've just SHOWN UP and started playing obviously did a lot worse. Isnt until years later I look back and really see the difference.
my black ass keeps trying to play your ass but you won't accept invites.

RevenantKioku said:
Hey, with as bad as I'm playing I could believe there is someone worse. "/
But now it's getting obvious.
Revenant are you on 360 or PSN?

Im up for some games tonight and we can chat about strategy.

You were using Sakura? I'm not fluent in her but at least I can maybe point out some counters to some of my moves.. or we can experiment :)

I use Fuerte as my main and Vega as my secondary. Occasional Cammy.

RevenantKioku

TurtleSnatcher said:
Revenant are you on 360 or PSN?

Im up for some games tonight and we can chat about strategy.

You were using Sakura? I'm not fluent in her but at least I can maybe point out some counters to some of my moves.. or we can experiment :)

I use Fuerte as my main and Vega as my secondary. Occasional Cammy.
Only PSN, but, and I can't believe it, I'm considering getting the 360 version and a 360 stick as well to have more options to play against people. :lol
I am really hooked on this game despite my suckage.

qcf x2

bob_arctor said:
I bolded one part but really, your entire post is relevant. What is about SFIV that makes this so?

I've been trying to pinpoint that myself. I think a good part of it is that I have to learn to counter attack as opposed to defend and then attack (parry/block/counter in 3s, block/counter in any other SF). This means a good deal of trial-and-error. Until yesterday I kept trying to block and then counter Blanka's roll. Of course, with Viper there is absolutely no way to do this apart from maybe EX seismo. Then I figured out that I can jab, MP or even HK him out of the horizontal roll...but only with minimal lag, as it is a reactionary move.

More relevant to the losing-to-randoms problem is Ken and Ryu. SRKs beat so much...in the Alpha series they countered this with air blocks (which I disliked, because jumping became too safe), and in SF3 it was parries. All I see from Ken is jump kick, sweep, srk, jump kick, throw, srk, super/ultra...or if you're any distance away it's fireball city. I can FADC through a fireball but I'm likely to eat another one if not a jump in-->SRK. And specifically with Viper I've learned to low knuckle or burn kick under & over fireballs respectively, but that's a lot of mental work to simply defend against someone who is likely using zero strategy.

I wish there were more tactics for when you have a downed opponent, like overhead--->super/ultra, for example. The most I can do as far as high and low is do a low-dmg overhead move if the character even has one. Or of course cross-ups, but they don't work too well when your opponent has a high chance of being completely random. Most of the times I fake toward the opponent then retreat to just out of throw range and block in anticipation of a random move.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
any zangief that has ever beaten me jumps back and forth over me when i'm on the ground and makes my wakeup move go in the wrong direction because of the stupid as fuck autoredirect that that they decided to implement for no fucking reason. What should I do against this bullshit?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
McBradders said:
How are you coping? I tried maining Sakura but just couldn't get her to work against anyone at all. I find Rose much easier to play with, which sucks because I fucking love playing Sakura buy my pride aches after the 12th defeat in a row.
After getting demolished by a guy on live with the GT DOK3, I really hate Sakura players. She touches you once, and you're suddenly being juggled across the screen. Blarg.

RevenantKioku said:
Only PSN, but, and I can't believe it, I'm considering getting the 360 version and a 360 stick as well to have more options to play against people. :lol
I am really hooked on this game despite my suckage.
I bought an Elite and another copy of SFIV just to play against a broader audience (inc some friends on XBL not on PSN), that's like £200+ or so. Plus the green LE 360 pad with the better dpad (modded). Worth every penny! The more SFIV the better! Do it! :D

Beardz

Timedog said:
any zangief that has ever beaten me jumps back and forth over me when i'm on the ground and makes my wakeup move go in the wrong direction because of the stupid as fuck autoredirect that that they decided to implement for no fucking reason. What should I do against this bullshit?

Ah, that's remind me of Blanka's high roll, you are blocking but then Blanka crosses you, and hit you... unblockable

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
after i just fucking lost again doing ryu's taunt from a akuma ultra I yelled loudly "what up dick buttkiss? how you like me now bitch???" and then he disconnected before the 3rd round. I was laughing for like a minute straight until I looked at my bp which is at around 1000 now :(

Out of boredom, sorta, I started enabling handicap in Player Matches. I think I offended one guy I tried this with, though. After besting him one match, I mistook him for a weak opponent, knocked myself down to 3*, and almost took out his Zangief with my Chun-Li before seeing he was actually a decent player. He kept throwing me the red angry face in the lobby everytime I capped myself in his favor. I think he would've been genuinely upset if I beat him that way. I need to be careful not to bruise any egos this way. :D

The lax input in this game is killing me at times. I keep teleporting when attempting Bison's Ultra, and sooooo many accidental Supers. (sigh)

MIMIC

Banned
Timedog said:

RAGEQUIT!

When that happens to me, I'm either fucked or I miraculously manage to block one of the bellyflops and then back up. I guess the FA would come in handy. I'd be too afraid to use it in a situation like that, though.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
MIMIC said:
RAGEQUIT!

When that happens to me, I'm either fucked or I miraculously manage to block one of the bellyflops and then back up. I guess the FA would come in handy. I'd be too afraid to use it in a situation like that, though.

now i'm thinking backdash, but if the computer autoredirects my backdash i'm extra fucked dashing right into him. this autoredirect stuff is so much bullshit that when it happens i throw down my controller sometimes and start frantically breakdancing.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Timedog said:

Jump up or guard. The wakeup game against Zangief is really a 50/50 guessing game. Either he's going to jump over you and then do SPD if you guard or do any kind of wakeup move, or he's going to do lariat/banishing fist if you try to jump.

DO NOT JUMP AWAY, Japan-based SRKers (including myself) found out very quickly that if you try to jump diagonally in this situation, the SPD will still hit you, but if you jump vertically, the throw attempt will whiff.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
qcf x2 said:
I've been trying to pinpoint that myself. I think a good part of it is that I have to learn to counter attack as opposed to defend and then attack (parry/block/counter in 3s, block/counter in any other SF). This means a good deal of trial-and-error. Until yesterday I kept trying to block and then counter Blanka's roll. Of course, with Viper there is absolutely no way to do this apart from maybe EX seismo. Then I figured out that I can jab, MP or even HK him out of the horizontal roll...but only with minimal lag, as it is a reactionary move.

More relevant to the losing-to-randoms problem is Ken and Ryu. SRKs beat so much...in the Alpha series they countered this with air blocks (which I disliked, because jumping became too safe), and in SF3 it was parries. All I see from Ken is jump kick, sweep, srk, jump kick, throw, srk, super/ultra...or if you're any distance away it's fireball city. I can FADC through a fireball but I'm likely to eat another one if not a jump in-->SRK. And specifically with Viper I've learned to low knuckle or burn kick under & over fireballs respectively, but that's a lot of mental work to simply defend against someone who is likely using zero strategy.

I wish there were more tactics for when you have a downed opponent, like overhead--->super/ultra, for example. The most I can do as far as high and low is do a low-dmg overhead move if the character even has one. Or of course cross-ups, but they don't work too well when your opponent has a high chance of being completely random. Most of the times I fake toward the opponent then retreat to just out of throw range and block in anticipation of a random move.

Excellent post. The biggest thing that jumped out at me and I still really haven't come to like in any way is the almost complete lack of meaty moves on an opponent waking up. Maybe it's the lag but it just doesn't seem to exist--like say a deep cross-up on a Blanka after a knock-down but instead I get shocked or worse. Things like that which just wouldn't happen to me in any other SF. It seems to have been a conscious decision by Capcom to....keep the new rookies IV definitely pulled in? I don't know.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Oichi said:
Jump up or guard. The wakeup game against Zangief is really a 50/50 guessing game. Either he's going to jump over you and then do SPD if you guard or do any kind of wakeup move, or he's going to do lariat/banishing fist if you try to jump.

DO NOT JUMP AWAY, Japan-based SRKers (including myself) found out very quickly that if you try to jump diagonally in this situation, the SPD will still hit you, but if you jump vertically, the throw attempt will whiff.
Goddamn it I should be able to just backdash out of that shit. If there is one thing the cpu should never autoredirect, it should be dash. How the fuck does it make even a fraction of a lick of sense for it to autoredirect a dash motion?

"oh hey, i'm trying to dash left, i'm pressing left repeatedly, my guy should go the direction i'm pressing."

*dash redirect

"wow, thank god for the cpu doing the exact fucking opposite of the commands i'm inputting. Whew, and to think I was about to actually win a ranked match."

screw you, Capgod. Fuck it, i'm just going to start picking Sagat. Anyone who is "playing to win" would just pick sagat too since he's obviously the best in the game. fuck this shit.

Top Bottom