• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

AndresON777

shooting blanks
RevenantKioku said:
I'm about to hit 0 BP. I'm losing to textbook Kens and Ryus. I'm just feeling like I'm pressing buttons but nothing is happening.

Use Blanka I got like 15 wins in a row.

The down forward HP is the best thing to do to the shotos spamming fireballs. The ex fireball is brutal as well because you go right thru their fireballs and sometimes I can tell they're like wtf man?

I knew I shouldn't have played without at least warming up. I lost like 7 matches in a row against dudes that just kept dragon punching, and I refused to stop playing until I won a match.

I have a very bad tendency that when I whif something, I really REALLY gotta do that move again and sometimes I'd do it even if I know it's not gonna hit anything. I dunno, I think I NERD RAGE too easily/

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ChrisGoldstein said:
Use Blanka I got like 15 wins in a row.

The down forward HP is the best thing to do to the shotos spamming fireballs. The ex fireball is brutal as well because you go right thru their fireballs and sometimes I can tell they're like wtf man?
I don't want points, I want to do well with the character I'm working on. "/

TimeKillr

Arde5643 said:
I know one simple tip as Gief: never do normal throws as Gief unless you know it will kill the opponent - Gief's SPD destroys all ground based throws besides Abel's normal tornado throw.

Gief's SPD is faster than normal throws and hits harder than normal throws.

Abel's jab tornado throw is the fastest throw in the entire game, period.

It will beat ALL command throws and most attacks thrown at him (including Balrog's charges!)

fuckin got owned by a good Ryu player (for once) last night. He got his focus cancels down pat, setting up his ultras perfectly. I only won one match out of like 15 with him, but I had a lot of playing against someone who really knew what he was doing.

later I went back to ranked matches and won 15 in a row to boost my ego back a bit :)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I'm really losing interest in this game fast. It seems that when you get to a certain point, winning is based mostly on turtling skill. I'm pretty good at that, but turtle-turtle matches are dull. Seriously, I've seen more aggression in Samsho games then SFIV.

I think one of my friends was right. VF spoils you to other fighters. Even SF4's supposed balance doesn't seem that impressive to me. (Not to mention there was a better balanced 2d fighter released in the past year- KOF98UM)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dizzy-4U said:
Downloaded this last night and I saw a few matches today before going to work. It seems a pretty funny fightcast so far. Also Haunts, no complains about the choice of fashion this time, you were all great :D.

lol, grey shirt ftw.

arstal said:
I'm really losing interest in this game fast. It seems that when you get to a certain point, winning is based mostly on turtling skill. I'm pretty good at that, but turtle-turtle matches are dull. Seriously, I've seen more aggression in Samsho games then SFIV.

I think one of my friends was right. VF spoils you to other fighters. Even SF4's supposed balance doesn't seem that impressive to me. (Not to mention there was a better balanced 2d fighter released in the past year- KOF98UM)

If you are getting frustrated with turtles, try pushing them in a corner and try to keep them there. They will try to get out of the corner and that is my main strategy for playing aggressive and punishing turtle players..

I also turtle myself tho in some cases, like when I have a big life lead Ill even run the time out. :lol

I play like an asshole tbh..

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Down to 39 BP. What the shit. I just lost to someone who literally did the same move over and over. I have no idea how the fuck I regressed to someone who can't even press buttons it seems. So frustrating. :(
Time for sleep.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
haunts said:
lol, grey shirt ftw.

If you are getting frustrated with turtles, try pushing them in a corner and try to keep them there. They will try to get out of the corner and that is my main strategy for playing aggressive and punishing turtle players..

I also turtle myself tho in some cases, like when I have a big life lead Ill even run the time out. :lol

I play like an asshole tbh..

Yeah. real hard to do though. Most of them don't mind being in the corner, as they'll just fish for hit-confirmed ultra, and if you decide to do nothing for 30 seconds cause you have a lead, they drop. It's just tiresome now. Not to mention 90% of my matches end up this way now.

Seriously, I've seen more aggression in KOF98 and Samsho then SF4.

arstal said:

Really? I find that this game rewards you for like...not turtling. There are so many different strategies and styles of play - rushdown Cammy, crossup Blanka, keep-away/poke Dhalsim and Rose, that you can't exactly sit and turtle all the time either. You turtle, and guys that can tick you like Balrog will just grab you all day.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
RevenantKioku said:
Down to 39 BP. What the shit. I just lost to someone who literally did the same move over and over. I have no idea how the fuck I regressed to someone who can't even press buttons it seems. So frustrating. :(
Time for sleep.

Playing too much? Playing after burning out? come back fresh....

I still haven't played a single ranked match :lol only play player match, unsure why.

diffusionx

Gold Member
RevenantKioku said:
Time for sleep.

That's how I feel sometimes. Like I'll beat a 2000 BP Ken then lose to 5 300BP flowcharts in a row. It's embarrassing, really. So last night I didn't play.

Zabka

haunts said:
It really depends on your character. When I play Honda, people will immediately jump backwards into the corner and spend the rest of the fight there.

It's very boring.

CPS2

arstal said:

I've found the best cure for this is, play someone way better or way worse than you. If you're playing someone around the same skill level and it's all safe moves and tech throws, yeah it can seem a bit dull. But when you play someone who's busting out combos way harder than hard mode trials like it's nothing, or you're busting out your own combos on someone else, it's mad fun.

Also, less online more offline. A bit of lag introduces shady mind-numbing tactics.

I love this game. In my opinion this is the best thing Capcom has put out in the last year, aside from Mega Man 9. I'm sure I'm missing a few others. Oh yeah, ReArmed! Thank you.

And for the record, Ken is an American hero.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
captmcblack said:
Really? I find that this game rewards you for like...not turtling. There are so many different strategies and styles of play - rushdown Cammy, crossup Blanka, keep-away/poke Dhalsim and Rose, that you can't exactly sit and turtle all the time either. You turtle, and guys that can tick you like Balrog will just grab you all day.

I feel the same way.. Like people say Sagat is a huge turtle/defense character but I rush down with him like all day long.. Same with Balrog, people say he is a turtle character but I've seen and played some very aggressive Blarogs.

I just feel like if you're getting eat'n up by turtlers you're not controlling space correctly.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
bob_arctor said:
Holy Shit. I would have probably broken my stick. When I first picked up Gouken after being all Abel, losses were mounting for me something awful. But damn. Who are you using? And what's your biggest obstacle in getting a win?? Are you playing only "More Skilled" online?

yeah more skilled. i remember when i got HDR and I thought i would step right into ranked and lost like 20 or 25 in a row immediately, but eventually I got back up to a 2/3 win ratio. I think i'm at like probably 30% win percentage right now and I'll never ever get it up to above 50%. i'm fucked. I'll be winning rounds but then I get hit with an ultra every time because i don't want to turtle. I'm using ryu. i can't meaty anything and I don't really use dragon punch.

MoxManiac

Looking at that JP spreadsheet...haha they have seth vs. zangief at 8-2 in seth's favor if i'm reading it right. The only 8-2 matchup in the entire list.

EDIT: I lied. Gen and Dan have 2-8 matchups.

HiResDes

ChrisGoldstein said:
I havnt even seen someone playing as seth online
Same, I haven't even taken the time to unlock him, even though I have everyone else and probably only need to beat the game with a handful of people.

HiResDes

arstal said:
They probably don't know how good she is yet. No way in hell she's bottom tier.
She doesn't do enough damage in my experience, and some of her ex moves are rather soft compared to others...

Dizzy-4U

In the last gootecks podcats, he mentions why Seth is a beast. He said that If Seth has an Ultra, he will keep you away with sonic booms all day and if you jump, he'll catch you with the ultra full-screen. You can't get close to him and you can't jump either.

toneroni

Timedog said:
yeah more skilled. i remember when i got HDR and I thought i would step right into ranked and lost like 20 or 25 in a row immediately, but eventually I got back up to a 2/3 win ratio. I think i'm at like probably 30% win percentage right now and I'll never ever get it up to above 50%. i'm fucked. I'll be winning rounds but then I get hit with an ultra every time because i don't want to turtle. I'm using ryu. i can't meaty anything and I don't really use dragon punch.
have you done the challenges? That usually helps you with basic combos early on.

Hey Haunts, how do you rushdown well with Sagat? Trying to pick him up as an alternate character.

HiResDes

toneroni said:
have you done the challenges? That usually helps you with basic combos early on.
I can't get past the 3rd of 4th trial on normal with any character, cancels seem to be a pain for me on my 360 pad...SFIV really isn't as casual friendly as they labeled, Sirlin was right.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
toneroni said:

Hey Haunts, how do you rushdown well with Sagat? Trying to pick him up as an alternate character.

Sagats mobility is pretty limited unless you learn how to Kara Tiger Knee with him so I think it's hard to really pressure from the right distances without Kara Tiger Knee. Once you learn that though you can do a lot once you land a knock down or throw them. His block strings are solid and you can keep the opponent locked into constant tiger knee pressure on block when you do it correctly.

I dont want to give away all my secrets but yeah kara tiger knee is a huge part of being an offensive sagat. If you cant do it might as well just sit back and throw tiger shots all day and spam s. rh.

haunts said:
Sagats mobility is pretty limited unless you learn how to Kara Tiger Knee with him so I think it's hard to really pressure from the right distances without Kara Tiger Knee. Once you learn that though you can do a lot once you land a knock down or throw them. His block strings are solid and you can keep the opponent locked into constant tiger knee pressure on block when you do it correctly.

I dont want to give away all my secrets but yeah kara tiger knee is a huge part of being an offensive sagat. If you cant do it might as well just sit back and throw tiger shots all day and spam s. rh.

Shh, don't tell them my secret.

Why do you need to kara the TK after a knockdown? I just use a different strength TK to land where I want next to them. Also, how do you kara-TK (which kick/punch before the input)?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Zabka said:
It really depends on your character. When I play Honda, people will immediately jump backwards into the corner and spend the rest of the fight there.

It's very boring.

Ha! This almost EVERYONE online. Round starts, immediate moon-walking, back and back they go into their formidable bunkers.

BitchTits

What language options do people use? I was just checking out some videos on youtube of all the personal actions and it's the first time I've heard a lot of the English voice tracks o_O

Rufus was pretty funny though.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
prodystopian said:
Shh, don't tell them my secret.

Why do you need to kara the TK after a knockdown? I just use a different strength TK to land where I want next to them. Also, how do you kara-TK (which kick/punch before the input)?

Not going to tell you why, you'll have to find your own applications, but you Kara Tiger Knees with F+ LK. Basicly you do F+ LK, then QCF + Kick for a kara tiger knee.. If you slow it down you can get a kara low tiger shot.

haunts said:
Not going to tell you why, you'll have to find your own applications, but you Kara Tiger Knees with F+ LK. Basicly you do F+ LK, then QCF + Kick for a kara tiger knee.. If you slow it down you can get a kara low tiger shot.

Thanks, I'll play around with it.

I have so much fun with the little bit of time I get to play. I wish I had more time to play around with strategies in this game. I'm also having trouble devoting my limited time to one character. I keep going back and forth between Sagat and Chun.

Short version: ZOMG I love this game and wish I could play it all the time!!111

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
RevenantKioku said:
Time for sleep.

Wait, is this the part I commend the boring jerk spamming the same move since it copped him a win and you couldn't "adjust"? No wait, fuck that. Boring jerks are boring. Keep your head up, maybe take some time off and come back fresh.

ShinAmano said:
So shoto vs Blanka what should a shoto do/look out for?

When Blanka has an EX bar, don't hadouken.

LP and I think MP beat out Blanka balls, so spam them if you think one's coming. Oh and you can punish blocked Blanka balls with a Metsu.

Chorazin

Pop On Arrival said:
I have a very bad tendency that when I whif something, I really REALLY gotta do that move again and sometimes I'd do it even if I know it's not gonna hit anything. I dunno, I think I NERD RAGE too easily/

I'm working on getting over this problem too, so you're not alone.

dankir

haunts said:
Umm yeah a good Seth is a pain to deal with.. His wall jump into cross up is so goofy.

Usually a standing Fierce Kick or Fierce Punch does the job. I've been playing through all the characters and beat him pretty easily with just countering with standard attacks.

BitchTits said:
What language options do people use? I was just checking out some videos on youtube of all the personal actions and it's the first time I've heard a lot of the English voice tracks o_O

Rufus was pretty funny though.

here is my language settings:
JPN: Ryu, Ken, Honda, Chun-Li, Dhalsim, Fei-Long, Sakura, Rose, Dan, Gen, Akuma, Gouken.

ENG: Guile, Blanka, Zangief, Balrog, Vega, Sagat, Bison, Cammy, Rufus, C.Viper, El Fuerte, Abel, Seth.

All Asians except for Sagat are in Japanese. I really like Sagat's English.
All non-Asians except for Ken and Rose are in English.
Ken is Japanese because his special moves pronounciations suck in Englisj.
Rose is Japanese because she sounds like Alpha 1-2-3 in Japanese and not a Romanian Gypsy.
Dhalsim's English sucks, his Japanese fits more his age and style.

Bison was the hardest choice but calling your opponent putrid garbage and trash talking makes him full of win in English

Top Bottom