• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Timedog said:
yeah great games. I'm kind of clueless on what to do against honda with ryu. any tips?

I feel that you were throwing fireballs a bit irresponsibly at times when we were playing Ryu vs Honda, which is a bad habit to break. There's a certain range you should be throwing fireballs at, and outside of that sweet spot, you shouldn't really bother unless Honda makes a mistake of his own.

Other than that, you need to learn some different block strings to help you keep the pressure on and to keep people guessing... to be honest I didn't feel a whole lot of pressure or the need to think about different options you may throw out because once you jumped in you pretty much did the same thing every time.

dfyb

Banned
i really want the replay patch already. i want to record good matches, but it's a pain actually recording each one with my capture card (can't play in HD etc). will be nice being able to save the replay and capture it later. i tested my capture setup tonight with a few ranked matches. here's a couple that were pretty lawl.

against a ryu. fun ending. lost of mistakes and very mild pressure/mixup from me -- i'm tired.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OZcYxdWOW4

against a dictator. he let me throw him all day... but he had higher BP than me, so whatever. dunno how much experience with fuerte he has, but it was enough to know he should jump when waking up to avoid my mixup game (which i let continue unchecked for too long.... or maybe i was just fine walking up and throwing him anyway :lol).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ec4fNA1iEw

edit: i'll fix the aspect ratio in the future when i record a good match. these were mainly tests

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
FINALLY unlocked Seth last night...

Uh, is it just me or is he a monster? I only played through arcade on easiest to get his ending, but....

He has dhalsims long arms punch, can do sonic boom as fast as ryu fireballs, has an uppercut that you can perform 3 times in a row in the air if you connect it, has Zangiefs HORRIBLE throw and his ultra.

He just seems REALLY strong.

Flek

Banned
catfish said:
FINALLY unlocked Seth last night...

Uh, is it just me or is he a monster? I only played through arcade on easiest to get his ending, but....

He has dhalsims long arms punch, can do sonic boom as fast as ryu fireballs, has an uppercut that you can perform 3 times in a row in the air if you connect it, has Zangiefs HORRIBLE throw and his ultra.

He just seems REALLY strong.

he is strong . but its damn funny when you meet someone online who just unlocked him and plays seth like shit! Ive beaten a seth with saruka ,,,, its hilarious...

KingJ2002

Flek said:
he is strong . but its damn funny when you meet someone online who just unlocked him and plays seth like shit! Ive beaten a seth with saruka ,,,, its hilarious...

seth is actually kind of weak... he takes akuma like damage and his moves dont hit as hard.

it's only in arcade mode that seth is a beast... competitively... he's not that strong.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
KingJ2002 said:
seth is actually kind of weak... he takes akuma like damage and his moves dont hit as hard.

it's only in arcade mode that seth is a beast... competitively... he's not that strong.

I figured it must be something like this... Still, the triple uppercut seems to take off a bit. I think I'll get demoralised online for a while to better assess his skills. haha.

I like that annoying dhalsim punch he has though.

TimeKillr

KingJ2002 said:

Hmm, no.

Seth, played correctly, is a freaking MONSTER.

As soon as he has ultra he's pretty much guaranteed a hit since his Ultra is fullscreen, so he just keeps you away with sonic booms until you jump in which case you get hit by the ultra. There's a lot of weird stuff that Seth that can.

MIMIC

Banned
Testing out my Blanka and finally broke 2400 BP. I was in ranked and didn't use Custom Search. Is that considered cheating? =p (actually I did but for some reason, I could get into many games....which was really frustrating since I NEVER encounter that problem using Custom. Time of day/night, maybe?)

Oh yeah:

11qgtn6.jpg

I lost 94 BP at one point :lol Thank God I didn't lose to this guy *scared*

Dizzy-4U

Played the Ps3 version yesterday. Searching for matches is faster somehow than the 360 for me, though I still see almost everybody with only 1 bar >_>

Fersis, what are you doing this weekend? I have never played a El Fuerte player before, so it will be fun for me trying to figuring out what the hell to do.

gutter_trash said:
Impatience is probably my #1 flaw and that will need to be worked on.
Mine is execution so far. Instead of Ultra I get ex soul throw most of the time (Rose). These shortcuts are a pain in the ass.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dizzy-4U said:
Played the Ps3 version yesterday. Searching for matches is faster somehow than the 360 for me, though I still see almost everybody with only 1 bar >_>

Fersis, what are you doing this weekend? I have never played a El Fuerte player before, so it will be fun for me trying to figuring out what the hell to do.
Im doing:
Resistance 2
Killzone 2
Street Fighter 4

I want to learn another character besides El Fuerte, maybe Balrog (Boxer)?

ravien56

Playing online yesterday as bison, opponent picks vega, I GOT WRECKED,any tips against fighting a vega? its hard to find openings against them when they are jumping all over the place, I dunno, its like im so used to just raping all the kens with all their same stupid strategies, its like when they see a bison against them, they literally dont know what the fuck their supposed to do, the same happened though with me when fighting vega.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
mh56 said:
Playing online yesterday as bison, opponent picks vega, I GOT WRECKED,any tips against fighting a vega? its hard to find openings against them when they are jumping all over the place, I dunno, its like im so used to just raping all the kens with all their same stupid strategies, its like when they see a bison against them, they literally dont know what the fuck their supposed to do, the same happened though with me when fighting vega.

I have the same issue with Rose vs Bison and Rose vs Vega... it's horrible :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
McBradders said:
I have the same issue with Rose vs Bison and Rose vs Vega... it's horrible :lol
And once you get SF IV for PS3, you will have issues with El Fuerte. :mad:
Its on !

Garcian

mh56 said:

Without a 'normal' anti-air for Bison, if Vega's wall-diving all over the shop I tend to focus attack it - 1 or 2 crumples & it should calm them down a bit.

That's what happens when my friend (I only really play friends as I know I'm pretty sucky) picks El Fuerte (who he picks 99.99% of the time) he's so damn fast that I never really know what to do (I'm pretty crappy btw, I probably am a flowchart Ken/Cammy) On the subject of Vega, I'm always punished when trying to do any of his charge moves by my friend (stupid El Fuerte) any help? I wish there was some damn indicator that I'd charged long enough.

ravien56

Fersis said:
And once you get SF IV for PS3, you will have issues with El Fuerte. :mad:
Its on !
i got ps3, im sure your on my friends list already, ill send a invite next time i see you online, ive never fought a el fuerte online, every1 picks ken/akuma/balrog>_<.but yea im gonna try to focus attack vega next time

Right my Ryu, Ken are getting beaten by Bison and Balrogs, really need some help. I'm playing on the stock pad, and my FADC combos are somewhat unreliable, waiting on a Fightpad.

I'm maining Ryu for the time being, and get beasted by Dictator and Boxer.

I can't zone Dictator due to headstomp, and SRK at best trades. Plus they can fake out head stomp.

Can't rush down due to teleport escape, and I seem to freeze when I'm getting sissor kicked, footsie, tick throw as it seems I have no openings.

I just can't seem to punish any whiffed moves, and can't exploit Ryu's game.

Balrog's mix up game is just insane, and he seems to hit hard. Again I can't zone, and freeze when getting pressured. Difficult to read, as he has low hitting, and overhead smash.

Help please.

All beatings and advice welcome - Level 7 Boss - UK

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I wonder which balance system is better:

SFIV, where there are no "for free" matchups, but some chars are so dominant you have no reason to pick anyone else (Ryu, Sagat)

or STHD- which has some lopsided matchup, but everyone has one bad matchup, so you have to know multiple characters?

Of course VF and KOF98UM have the best of both ^_^. (Yes, I know about Krauser, but some chars beat him)

Chorazin

arstal said:
I wonder which balance system is better:

SFIV, where there are no "for free" matchups, but some chars are so dominant you have no reason to pick anyone else (Ryu, Sagat)

or STHD- which has some lopsided matchup, but everyone has one bad matchup, so you have to know multiple characters?

Of course VF and KOF98UM have the best of both ^_^. (Yes, I know about Krauser, but some chars beat him)

Ryu and Sagat are only OMG AMAZING is the hands of someone who is dedicated to making them all they can be. Tiers only apply to the best of the best, on that level those people know every move and can execute them perfectly in the correct situations all the time.

For us normal folk, Sagat can be taken down by Vegas, Dans, Hondas, ect in equal measure because normal people make mistakes, fuck up a move, forget they can use X to get away, ect ect.

Won

Playing Sagat AND disconnect as soon as something is going wrong....why do they even bother playing? :lol

Chorazin said:
Ryu and Sagat are only OMG AMAZING is the hands of someone who is dedicated to making them all they can be. Tiers only apply to the best of the best, on that level those people know every move and can execute them perfectly in the correct situations all the time.

For us normal folk, Sagat can be taken down by Vegas, Dans, Hondas, ect in equal measure because normal people make mistakes, fuck up a move, forget they can use X to get away, ect ect.

Well being number 1 on the list doesn't mean that you win no matter what, only thats it easier than with others and that is still true for us normal folk. The list just looks a bit different.

Chorazin said:

I think people blow the tier discussion way out of proportion in general.

However, with Sagat, his damage output, high health, and special move attributes make him a cut above the other characters (IMO) even for novice players.

That said, even he isn't broken. He is beatable, especially if a newb is playing him.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
The key to defeating Sagat is understanding the properties of his Tiger Knee, being able to bait uppercuts and uhh.. not jumping directly at him.

Rufus

Won said:
Playing Sagat AND disconnect as soon as something is going wrong....why do they even bother playing? :lol
"Play to Win", just - different. :lol
If that's satisfying play to them and they don't feel stupid for doing it, I can't say much against it. They're not really breaking the game for other players. (Not unless you crave those BP really badly, or feel cheated out of a win somehow, I guess)

PhatSaqs

Banned
Chorazin said:
Ryu, yes because you need to know DP --> FADC --> Ultra with him. Sagat not so much. You can be pretty sloppy execution wise with Sagat and still be effective since his damage output and stamina are great. same with Gief.

qcf x2

Level 8 Boss said:
Right my Ryu, Ken are getting beaten by Bison and Balrogs, really need some help. I'm playing on the stock pad, and my FADC combos are somewhat unreliable, waiting on a Fightpad.

I'm maining Ryu for the time being, and get beasted by Dictator and Boxer.

I can't zone Dictator due to headstomp, and SRK at best trades. Plus they can fake out head stomp.

Can't rush down due to teleport escape, and I seem to freeze when I'm getting sissor kicked, footsie, tick throw as it seems I have no openings.

I just can't seem to punish any whiffed moves, and can't exploit Ryu's game.

Balrog's mix up game is just insane, and he seems to hit hard. Again I can't zone, and freeze when getting pressured. Difficult to read, as he has low hitting, and overhead smash.

Help please.

All beatings and advice welcome - Level 7 Boss - UK

vs Bison if you have a shoto then counter! Learn to srk those kicks. Also, shotos have that great mixup game after a knockdown. Overhead sometimes, low mk link other times.

I had Viper and I played a Bison that just did the headstomp and (keep away)air punch move the ENTIRE MATCH (literally). I couldn't catch him, and I get so bored of matches that involve nonstop turtling. Ugh, what a pussy.

I also had about 5 or 6 people disconnect as they were getting destroyed by Viper. It's always either Sagat, shotos, Blanka or Guile.

I think I've figured out counters to most everyone EXCEPT for Balrog/boxer. Any tips? The best I can do is fluke a knockdown and then do her cross-up air BK and hope they don't EX headbutt. Balrog is the ultimate turtler in this game. Makes me wanna use Ken to fierce SRK those random dashes. :(

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
PhatSaqs said:
Ryu, yes because you need to know DP --> FADC --> Ultra with him. Sagat not so much. You can be pretty sloppy execution wise with Sagat and still be effective since his damage output and stamina are great. same with Gief.

or just let your DP trade, which isn't that hard given its priority, and ultra without the FADC, or ultra via EX Hurricane in corner. Ryu has way too many options to land that.

Is the tier discussion out of whack? I'd say it depends on the level you're playing at. I'm not saying I'm this god-awesome player, but I can definitely feel the tiers- and I'm not a complete chump.

Beardz

haunts said:
The key to defeating Sagat is understanding the properties of his Tiger Knee, being able to bait uppercuts and uhh.. not jumping directly at him.

I love playing against Sagat, me being Boxer; he is so tall that buffalo hb almost always connect from medium distance.

any gaffers up for a match tonite? outside of micvlad and az greg, i dont think ive really played any of the top tier gaffers. az greg fucked me up pretty bad 10-0, but i usually NEVER play that bad, i think that was the week where i couldn't get win a match or get a kill in kz2 to save my life.

ShinAmano

bdizzle said:
any gaffers up for a match tonite? outside of micvlad and az greg, i dont think ive really played any of the top tier gaffers. az greg fucked me up pretty bad 10-0, but i usually NEVER play that bad, i think that was the week where i couldn't get win a match or get a kill in kz2 to save my life.
Didn't we play :(

sorry to my regular buddies that I havn't been online much lately this week,
I felt burnt out from work and I think Trial-Hard mode made it worse.

so I took a slim break and fixed my sleeping habbit

Today I feel better so I should be back in full force this week-end :p

jdub03

Finally finished all trial mode challenges. Oddly enough kens hard trial #4 gave me the most problems. Took me hours to do. Vipers last combo was easier then I imagined. Now I can concentrate on smashing fools online.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
bdizzle, add me.

GT: hauntsxl

gutter_trash said:
sorry to my regular buddies that I havn't been online much lately this week,
I felt burnt out from work and I think Trial-Hard mode made it worse.

so I took a slim break and fixed my sleeping habbit

Today I feel better so I should be back in full force this week-end :p

I feel you. I had to take a day or two off recently...

jdub03 said:
Finally finished all trial mode challenges. Oddly enough kens hard trial #4 gave me the most problems. Took me hours to do. Vipers last combo was easier then I imagined. Now I can concentrate on smashing fools online.

Congrats. I'm still stuck on Abel, C.Viper, Gen and Fuerte's last trials. I haven't played it in two days...but hopefully I'll be done in awhile.

Top Bottom