• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Honestly, if you haven't bought it by now- you probably won't get that much out of it.

The game is not newbie friendly, and the newbies are no longer newbies, so you'll get stomped in MP, and get frustrated. If you are into fighting game, you would have already bought it.

The single-player side of SFIV is hideous.

My suggestion would be to get SCIV instead, or wait for KOFXII or Tekken 6.

Reasoning: single-player modes will be better on those (maybe not KOFXII) and competition won't be as cut-throat.

Won

Rufus said:
"Play to Win", just - different. :lol
If that's satisfying play to them and they don't feel stupid for doing it, I can't say much against it. They're not really breaking the game for other players. (Not unless you crave those BP really badly, or feel cheated out of a win somehow, I guess)

I care about BP! I want to play better people. Fuerte isn't fun against people, who still don't block after the 20th press.
Half of my "victories" end in disconnects. I can't progress at all at the moment. :(

jdub03

Spiderjericho said:
Congrats. I'm still stuck on Abel, C.Viper, Gen and Fuerte's last trials. I haven't played it in two days...but hopefully I'll be done in awhile.

Yeah those were the last few ones I had to do also. I had to turn down the volume and create a rhythmic pattern to get the hard ones down. Once you get the rhythm down they become a lot easier.

MIMIC

Banned
jdub03 said:
Yeah those were the last few ones I had to do also. I had to turn down the volume and create a rhythmic pattern to get the hard ones down. Once you get the rhythm down they become a lot easier.

I did the same thing for one of Guile's trials :lol

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Um, does Rose's LP Soul Throw grab through Hurricane kicks? I did it earlier but I dunno if I grabbed on the last couple of frames as they were landing or if I plucked them out of it :eek:

MIMIC said:
I did the same thing for one of Guile's trials :lol

Ok this is a hardcore noob question, but is there a difference between landing a flashkick after one cr.lp compared to three cr. lp? Cuz I swear I can't do it after three. By can't do it, I mean I can't even get the flash kick to come out. I remember being stuck on one of his trials because of that.

jdub03

FindMyFarms said:
Ok this is a hardcore noob question, but is there a difference between landing a flashkick after one cr.lp compared to three cr. lp? Cuz I swear I can't do it after three. By can't do it, I mean I can't even get the flash kick to come out. I remember being stuck on one of his trials because of that.
Yes there is. In the lp to super the lp is being canceled. With the 3x lp to super the super after the last lp can only be linked which requires stricter timing. Someone who's more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm mistaken.

Edit : read through your post really fast, but I think this should apply to regular flash kick as well.

Ploid 3.0

Jesus Shoes said:
are you just saying that?

whats the reasonings behind the reasons why i shouldnt buy it.

Well you need a high end broadband internet connection, and unless you don't mind playing offline. There are a lot of challenges in challenge mode. Things like the computer's gauges aren't visible (including health) while you have defense bonus. That stuff is quite fun for a bit since it mixes things up. The arcade mode is the normal ladder from the old street fighters. If you like fighters, and have someone to play with locally you should get it. If you'd only play it online, wait for a patch (playing online is a pain, and only 2 people in a room) or price drops/deals.

RedAssedApe

Banned
MIMIC said:
Oh yeah...Zangief can grab Blanka out of his electricity move. How silly.

Well anything that can hit Blanka out of electricity (thats not a projectile) and not trade-hits is kind of silly no? Take sweeps for example... :lol

Ploid 3.0

All of blanka moves are pretty vulnerable. His balls have no priority, he's pretty much throwing himself at opponents. If a punch or kick meets the ball he's done.

MIMIC

Banned
FindMyFarms said:

Some of his combos require RIDICULOUS timing. His 3 cr. lp > flash kick is a linking combo (IIRC) and you just have to keep practicing until you get the timing right. It's all about knowing when to execute the next move.

Ploid 3.0 said:
All of blanka moves are pretty vulnerable. His balls have no priority, he's pretty much throwing himself at opponents. If a punch or kick meets the ball he's done.

His backstep roll beats Zangief's lariat, IIRC :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Well you need a high end broadband internet connection, and unless you don't mind playing offline. There are a lot of challenges in challenge mode. Things like the computer's gauges aren't visible (including health) while you have defense bonus. That stuff is quite fun for a bit since it mixes things up. The arcade mode is the normal ladder from the old street fighters. If you like fighters, and have someone to play with locally you should get it. If you'd only play it online, wait for a patch (playing online is a pain, and only 2 people in a room) or price drops/deals.

I'd actually completely disagree with you here. I find online to be very playable and the best part of the game. If you want to see really horrible online play go try SF 2 Turbo Hyper Fighting on XBL. Come back after that and tell me that SF4 has bad lag.

The Challenge mode is ridiculously boring...come on survival and time attack? zzzzzzzzzzzzz...I hate that they force you to complete those snooze fests just to get all the character colors.

The only annoying part so far is having to beat the game so many times just to unlock characters.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
FindMyFarms said:

The problem is the restriction on linking and canceling now with SFIV, which is very strict...

The only, and I mean only way to combo light attacks x 3 into a Flash Kick is to NOT mash into them - you to hit the timing perfectly slow enough into each other (linking), then cancel the final light attack into the Flash Kick...

Mashing the light attacks will cancel the light attacks into each other, so while you'll be able to combo those attacks, it will prevent you from comboing into any special move...

It's new for SFIV and takes a lot of getting used to for big combos, as I guess Capcom's other goal was to enforce precision (same deal with the engine giving you another move with certain moves if it isn't executed 100%)...

Grifter

bdizzle said:
any gaffers up for a match tonite? outside of micvlad and az greg, i dont think ive really played any of the top tier gaffers. az greg fucked me up pretty bad 10-0, but i usually NEVER play that bad, i think that was the week where i couldn't get win a match or get a kill in kz2 to save my life.

yeah, let's play tonight. anyone else up to play tonight? add me - grifter 181

I'm in ny

Skilotonn said:
The problem is the restriction on linking and canceling now with SFIV, which is very strict...

The only, and I mean only way to combo light attacks x 3 into a Flash Kick is to NOT mash into them - you to hit the timing perfectly slow enough into each other (linking), then cancel the final light attack into the Flash Kick...

Mashing the light attacks will cancel the light attacks into each other, so while you'll be able to combo those attacks, it will prevent you from comboing into any special move...

It's new for SFIV and takes a lot of getting used to for big combos, as I guess Capcom's other goal was to enforce precision (same deal with the engine giving you another move with certain moves if it isn't executed 100%)...

Even that isn't true. I was mashing normals last night that should combo and they wouldn't unless I slowed them down and timed them correctly.

Actually, now that I think about it, in a real fight, the combo thing doesn't necessarily have to pop up for them to stay in block stun, does it? If I mash lkx3, can they interrupt if 'combo' doesn't pop up?

Phthisis

McBradders said:
Um, does Rose's LP Soul Throw grab through Hurricane kicks? I did it earlier but I dunno if I grabbed on the last couple of frames as they were landing or if I plucked them out of it :eek:

If you time it right you can grab them out of it, yeah.

Skilotonn said:

So what your saying is cr. lp -> link -> cr. lp -> link -> cr. lp -> cancel flashkick?

Now is this character specific? Because I've been doing cr. lp x3 into lp straight or headbutt w/ balrog forever. And everything is canceled, no links at all.

Also how do you know if you have to link the normals before cancelling into a special? Example Ken's cr. lk xx st. lp xx cr. mk xx ex tatsu. I cancel the lk into lp, but link the cr. mk, and cancel into the tatsu. So some of it's cancelled, and some linked, but the special comes out. Because with Guile I could cancel 2 cr. lp's into a flash kick, but now I know that if I do 3, I have to link them.

Is there a formula to determine when you have to link normals before cancelling into the special? I.E. any time you do 3 cr. lp/lk you have to link with said character? Also, is this a charge character thing?

MIMIC

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
So what your saying is cr. lp -> link -> cr. lp -> link -> cr. lp -> cancel flashkick?

You only have to link the 3rd cr. lp with the flash kick. So, it's like this: cr lp > cr lp > cr lp > link > flash kick

I hate all of Guile's facking linking combos so I just use jumping HP > cr mp > flash kick (or sonic boom). No linking here...just canceling.

MIMIC said:
You only have to link the 3rd cr. lp with the flash kick. So, it's like this: cr lp > cr lp > cr lp > link > flash kick

I hate all of Guile's facking linking combos so I just use jumping HP > cr mp > flash kick (or sonic boom). No linking here...just canceling.

So weird, is that only with guile?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Phthisis said:
If you time it right you can grab them out of it, yeah.

Hot shit!

I'm finding that people my level generally have no fucking clue about Rose, which is great for my ego, anything else I can use to screw up their game is awesome.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
prodystopian said:
Even that isn't true. I was mashing normals last night that should combo and they wouldn't unless I slowed them down and timed them correctly.

Actually, now that I think about it, in a real fight, the combo thing doesn't necessarily have to pop up for them to stay in block stun, does it? If I mash lkx3, can they interrupt if 'combo' doesn't pop up?

Light attacks can be mashed easy if they're supposed to cancel based on that character - like Guile can link lk, lk, lp, and that can be mashed as well, but nothing else can be comboed into special-wise...

But from a light to medium or high, or any other combination needs timing...

Mileena

Banned
lmao I seriously just played 9 Kens in a row online ranked. Only one of them wasn't a flowchart Ken. It is so funny to dash in and they EX SRK on wakeup every.single.time.

ultim8p00

Banned
Argghhhh rage quits! Fuck I hate that. I'm not even that good

Btw I think I just played you cork if your gamertag is similar to your name.

Ploid 3.0

henhowc said:
I'd actually completely disagree with you here. I find online to be very playable and the best part of the game. If you want to see really horrible online play go try SF 2 Turbo Hyper Fighting on XBL. Come back after that and tell me that SF4 has bad lag.

The Challenge mode is ridiculously boring...come on survival and time attack? zzzzzzzzzzzzz...I hate that they force you to complete those snooze fests just to get all the character colors.

The only annoying part so far is having to beat the game so many times just to unlock characters.

Online connection

Well the online connection speed isn't a problem of mine. To me the game plays and seem smooth pretty much all the time, with a rare random hickup. Sometimes I get a very laggy match but that's like 3 times out of the 400 plus matches I had. I got complaints that games against me cause a delay in my friend's reaction times or something. Two people on my flist told me this, I figure the others just ignored it or something. One of them showed me a faster internet speed for a extra $10 per month (sf4 subscription fee is how I saw it since every other game I have work fine as far as I can tell, even sf4. I'd just be getting it to make playing against me smooth pretty much.

Doing research on how I could be getting a smooth play experience and my opponent getting lad I found someone say, "the people with the best connection are the ones that end up having to deal with lag while the people with bad connection don't" paraphrase. Also there was a time Fersis and I played, he said he experienced a lot of lag, and I only noticed it one battle. I figured the netcode required a lot of speed from the advice I was given. I just stopped playing those two and did random from then on, unless I got a request.

Challenge modes

I don't really like the challenge modes, but the handicaps, and buffs reminds me of World Tour mode in SF alpha 3. I want that mode in the next fighter. The time and survival challenges were a lot better than the normal ladder arcade mode. There's not much to the single player, but the challenge mode is the best part so I figured it was the plus.

MIMIC said:
His backstep roll beats Zangief's lariat, IIRC :)

Nah, he just hit's Zangief's vulnerable spot (his head). If blanka were to connect on a hitbox he would knock him out of the rolls. Even his Ultra rolls have weak spots, but since it's all thundered up it also have some protection somewhere, like the normal thunder shock.

ultim8p00

Banned
Okay guys how come everyone quits on me? I play like two, three rounds then they quit. Almost every single time. It can't be that I suck, because the people I play with I often beat or come close to beating, or we are a really good match.

I'm maining Ken, and I think at least that I'm not a flow chart user.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
FindMyFarms said:

Now is this character specific? Because I've been doing cr. lp x3 into lp straight or headbutt w/ balrog forever. And everything is canceled, no links at all.

Also how do you know if you have to link the normals before cancelling into a special? Example Ken's cr. lk xx st. lp xx cr. mk xx ex tatsu. I cancel the lk into lp, but link the cr. mk, and cancel into the tatsu. So some of it's cancelled, and some linked, but the special comes out. Because with Guile I could cancel 2 cr. lp's into a flash kick, but now I know that if I do 3, I have to link them.

Is there a formula to determine when you have to link normals before cancelling into the special? I.E. any time you do 3 cr. lp/lk you have to link with said character? Also, is this a charge character thing?

Yup, bingo, and it goes for everyone...

Everyone has that timing with every combo - it's about 1/60 of a second, or for the best reference, look at the yellow flash at the opponent's health bar whenever you hit them - if you time your next hit the instant the yellow flash will hit the other end of the bar, it will link...

Mileena

Banned
ultim8p00 said:
Okay guys how come everyone quits on me? I play like two, three rounds then they quit. Almost every single time. It can't be that I suck, because the people I play with I often beat or come close to beating, or we are a really good match.

I'm maining Ken, and I think at least that I'm not a flow chart user.
I don't leave unless it's lagging to where it would affect my playing but I can see why people would quit on a Ken because they probably just played 10 other Kens before you :lol

VARIETY PEOPLE!

LakeEarth

Damn, brought SFIV to my house with the thought of playing it all weekend, and I forgot to bring my hard drive (and the 360 here doesn't have a save device). Hurray for practice mode with the main 16 characters! Maybe I'll figure out Fuerte.

I think I am going to trade Killzone 2 for the 360 version of SF4 so I can see what 360 land is,
dont worry PS3 peeps, my prefferences are always pro-PS3 first

B-Ri

gutter_trash said:
I think I am going to trade Killzone 2 for the 360 version of SF4 so I can see what 360 land is,
dont worry PS3 peeps, my prefferences are always pro-PS3 first

Dont, just wait till SFIV massive price drops, the only people worth playing on XBL will still be playing then.

AZ Greg

I'm starting to think that combining wins/losses of ranked/player matches in your player data was a bad idea. Just like all the people who have to have a greater than 1 k/d ration in an FPS, people on this really seem to care about having a greater than 50% win rate. The combination of stats from ranked/player matches seem to make people a little more uptight when playing player matches. I can beat someone 2 times in a row, in close matches, and then I'm booted. I can handily beat someone in 1 match and then I'm booted. Etc...

CPS2

Skilotonn said:
Yup, bingo, and it goes for everyone...

Everyone has that timing with every combo - it's about 1/60 of a second, or for the best reference, look at the yellow flash at the opponent's health bar whenever you hit them - if you time your next hit the instant the yellow flash will hit the other end of the bar, it will link...

Chunli has an exception to this, cr.LKx3 or whatever into (ex)legs. I thought it must be an easy link at first, but now I don't even think this does link (it's +2), it just cancels.

Ploid 3.0

Shadow780 said:
Top when the ball drops right?

What about before that, when at the beginning of the Ultra and there's a shockwave on the ground?

That close huh? I never did it that close, but for you to get hit as the ball is on it's way up I'd figure it's still blocking up top, and waiting for it to get waist level to start blocking down there. People stop my ball all the time if I do it when they aren't already in a motion. They are even able to hit my ball when I'm on the way up. Before the ball start dropping at head level of a normal character I guess it's vulnerable.

Top Bottom