• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

NYR

OuterWorldVoice said:
THIS JOYSTICK SITUATION SUCKS ASS.

Ugh. Craigslist assholes asking $300 for a Hori stick.
The assholes are the ones buying it for $300 - THEY drive up demand to the point where a $300 listing is ligtimate. The people selling them are just opportunistic - that is just capitalism at its finest.

SoulFist

Happy Sunday to everybody. Anybody up for some games on XBL? I usually rotate between Blanka, Ryu, and Balrog. Usually I'll just pick whoever I feel like playing at the moment though. My GT: SoulFist7

TimeKillr

FindMyFarms said:
Here's a couple Abel tips since I've made him my secondary :

Crossup mk! Use this a lot as a meaty after a knockdown. This move rocks, you can get a block, do tornado throw, or just wait for them to shoryuken and punish, or poke then roll afterwards.

You know you can land his ultra after a cr. fp right? You can get to it mostly by crossup mk xx cr. mp or cr. fp(let only the first hit connect) xx cod (1st part) xx fadc xx cr. fp xx ultra.

Also, Abel has a great standing lk. I saw you do his forward mk then the dash afterwards though, which is good. A lot of his mixups come from that.

An easy way to punish shoryukens is just cr. fp xx falling sky (immediately after the second hit of the cr. fp.) Eventually you'll want to sneak his roll in there after the cr. fp.

When your playing people that are shoryuken happy like him, sometimes you just gotta sit and wait. They'll throw one out eventually lol and boom punish him!

What did you use to upload your videos?

Crossup MK is one of Abel's best moves.

It will quite often cleanly hit wakeup shoryukens and their kin. It's rather annoying.

I often go into a loop where I do CoD -> Dash forward -> crossup mk -> c.mp -> CoD -> repeat. At many points in this loop you can do a tornado throw instead if they start blocking too much.

qcf x2

Once I get to 2,000 BP I'm done with ranked matches. Sitting in the 1900s now. :lol

GT: USVI STAR hit me up for some Viper/Rose action!

TimeKillr said:
Crossup MK is one of Abel's best moves.

It will quite often cleanly hit wakeup shoryukens and their kin. It's rather annoying.

I often go into a loop where I do CoD -> Dash forward -> crossup mk -> c.mp -> CoD -> repeat. At many points in this loop you can do a tornado throw instead if they start blocking too much.

Does the crossup MK beat Blanka's electricity? I could have sworn i did it once but I don't remember.

Ploid 3.0

SoulFist said:
Happy Sunday to everybody. Anybody up for some games on XBL? I usually rotate between Blanka, Ryu, and Balrog. Usually I'll just pick whoever I feel like playing at the moment though. My GT: SoulFist7

I think I'm going to make a tradition of Sunday being SF4 marathon training/sparing day. This new spring weather feels so good, it got me all peppy.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
FindMyFarms said:
Does the crossup MK beat Blanka's electricity? I could have sworn i did it once but I don't remember.
I have not had an abel crossup beat electricity, but it could be a position/timing thing. But I don't use elec wakeup much.

It definitely doesn't beat ex upball.

Dear people who disconnect:

Please at least have the decency of disconnecting right after the match is over. You can still have your BP as the game only saves after the winning pose. This way I can get my hard earned BP, and you can still have what remains of your self-esteem and bruised ego as pathetic as that may sound.

Signed,
CurseoftheGods [PS3] 2600 BP (who should have been ~3K around a week ago)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, anyone looking for a good fight?

I consider myself relatively good so I want to fight other people at my level or better. Wanna see if I am really good or not XD.

XBL: Lord Relix

TimeKillr

FindMyFarms said:

It doesn't. At least I've never succeeded in making it work :)

Blanka and Gief are the two characters where it isn't safe to meaty crossup on wakeup when they don't have meter.

Most of the other characters have good wakeup options once they have meter (with the exceptions of Guile, Rose and Fuerte). For some reason the auto-direction thing works much better if they do EX version of their wakeups.

TimeKillr

slayn said:
I have not had an abel crossup beat electricity, but it could be a position/timing thing. But I don't use elec wakeup much.

It definitely doesn't beat ex upball.

I tested some stuff with SpectreRT yesterday and we did discover that Abel's Falling Sky beats all kinds of upballs (we haven't tested EX though). The fierce one is the hardest to catch but it's still possible.

MrOctober

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
I think I'm going to make a tradition of Sunday being SF4 marathon training/sparing day. This new spring weather feels so good, it got me all peppy.

This post made me laugh. You mention that you want to spend Sundays inside playing video games all day and then talk about the reason is how nice the weather is. That walks the ironic line.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone else pretty much said no to the DLC for this game? I bought the first pack for the NA PSN and can't bring myself to spend more. I've even ceased my Burnout Paradise buying where I normally want everything. 13 and 8 dollars is way to steep for 2 car packs.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So... Gouken is broken. I was just proven that. Faced this very nice Gouken player. Bastard has a combo that can take half of Chun's life in mere seconds. His counter-explosion attack is just overpowered. You can't touch the bastard anywhere or he'll just do that. Also, his Ultra has so many possible setups. I tasted at least 4 of them :D The plus side is he has a low life, but damn.

Went 6-9 against the guy while I used Chun and Balrog.

Gouken IS overpowered if played in the right hands.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Relix said:
So... Gouken is broken. I was just proven that. Faced this very nice Gouken player. Bastard has a combo that can take half of Chun's life in mere seconds. His counter-explosion attack is just overpowered. You can't touch the bastard anywhere or he'll just do that. Also, his Ultra has so many possible setups. I tasted at least 4 of them :D The plus side is he has a low life, but damn.

I get really nervous when people pick Gouken because there are very few Gouken scrubs out there. He is an evil bastard in the right hands (i.e. the evil bastards that pick him)

ultim8p00

Banned
Fuck, so I've come to the conclusion that the throws in this game are just fucking broken. Throws should not flat out cut special moves. That's just bullshit. All a gief player has to do is spam lariats from a distance, get close to you and do throws and ultras. Throws interrupt everything. That's not right.

CPS2

Relix said:

Was he doing that counter>fadc>ultra? Any other tricks?

MIMIC

Banned
ultim8p00 said:
Fuck, so I've come to the conclusion that the throws in this game are just fucking broken. Throws should not flat out cut special moves. That's just bullshit. All a gief player has to do is spam lariats from a distance, get close to you and do throws and ultras. Throws interrupt everything. That's not right.

Guile can air throw Blanka out of his Ultra :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Relix said:

And his counter's not consistent, really. Abel's wheel kick will break through it cuz of armor-breaking properties but he can still sit there and counter an Ultra or Super. Makes no sense. But damn is he fun. And which combo are you referring to? FP>EX gliding punch>FADC 2nd hit>Ultra?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
UC1 said:
Was he doing that counter>fadc>ultra? Any other tricks?

This was definitely one of them.

Oh and GOUKEN BLOCKS ULTRAAAS!!! It was fucking stupid. He threw his Hadoken at me, I did a wakeup Ultra and somehow, someway, bastard broke MY Ultra, FADCed and delivered his Ultra leaving me with the jaw in the floor.

bob_arctor said:
And his counter's not consistent, really. Abel's wheel kick will break through it cuz of armor-breaking properties but he can still sit there and counter an Ultra or Super. Makes no sense. But damn is he fun. And which combo are you referring to? FP>EX gliding punch>FADC 2nd hit>Ultra?

I noticed I could break his armor with a few quick pokes, but it's just as stupid because he could outpoke me. Damn I felt like a loser afterwards :lol

Won

I wanted to say how great the last 2 days were with only one or two disconnecters. Was able to get out of that 2200 BP hell.
But tonight....again half of my victories ended in disconnects. I'm again stuck in disconnect hell this time in the 3000 BP - 3300 BP area and have to play against people, who don't know how to block high. :/

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Relix said:

Oh and GOUKEN BLOCKS ULTRAAAS!!! It was fucking stupid. He threw his Hadoken at me, I did a wakeup Ultra and somehow, someway, bastard broke MY Ultra, FADCed and delivered his Ultra leaving me with the jaw in the floor.

Wait, so he can FADC his counter and then Ultra you while you are popped in the air from the counter? A million :lol if so.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
bob_arctor said:
Wait, so he can FADC his counter and then Ultra you while you are popped in the air from the counter? A million :lol if so.

Which is why I promptly quit after the match was over. Fuck that. He wasn't even that far away from me and his Hadoken was only in front of me so I unleashed Chun's Ultra. I said "Win!". He said "Fuck you!!! OVERPOWWWWWEEEERRRRRRR!!!!" Countered Chun's ultra Kicks, sent me flying FADC his counter quickly afterwards, dashed and immediately delivered the Ultra. I couldn't believe that fucking stupidity.

He also had this compo that hit me, stunned me for a sec, some kind of attack and eventually sent me up the air sightly when he started doing those circle kicks that Gouken does that reaches the ceiling, taking 50% of my life away.

Really, wow. I beat the guy because he barely bothered to even cover :lol

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
bob_arctor said:

Yup. His Counter is sort of like a focus attack that sends you flying. But if you FADC out of it, you can link it to a Super or Ultra.

Except you can Counter only certain peoples Ultras. Cammy, Fei Long's, and a couple more I can't remember right now. Also works on Raging Demon.

Armor Breaking attacks will go through it though: As someone mentioned Abel's axe kick breaks it. Which is strange since those Ultras break hyper armor but he can still counter them.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ultim8p00 said:
Yeah, but shit, all I have to do with Sakura is get a jumping medium kick into a lariat and I can end that shit instantly. Fireballs can even break them down if you get the timing right.
I suck and I've stopped the Zangief lariat spam before.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Relix said:
Which is why I promptly quit after the match was over. Fuck that. He wasn't even that far away from me and his Hadoken was only in front of me so I unleashed Chun's Ultra. I said "Win!". He said "Fuck you!!! OVERPOWWWWWEEEERRRRRRR!!!!" Countered Chun's ultra Kicks, sent me flying FADC his counter quickly afterwards, dashed and immediately delivered the Ultra. I couldn't believe that fucking stupidity.

Holy Shit. I never even knew. Wow. Hey Capcom: THAT SHIT IS STUPID.

Now, as a Gouken player myself, I feel it my duty to thank you for confirming this silly combo of death and I promise to put it good and consistent use online. :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
bob_arctor said:
Holy Shit. I never even knew. Wow. Hey Capcom: THAT SHIT IS STUPID.

Now, as a Gouken player myself, I feel it my duty to thank you for confirming this silly combo of death and I promise to put it good and consistent use online. :lol

Fuck you :lol :lol

Sanjay

WOW, todays been a great day, 2500 to 3100 battle points, on the way today I beat a Sagat player at 4k and a Dictator at 10k :O

Blanka rules.

Duelist

I've worked on most of the timing stuff for Sakura, but argh I have to wait till the TE stick I preordered reaches me here in Canada. :(

PSGames

From my experience his counters are no different than a Focus attack accept they send you flying. So what's the problem? You can do a Ultra after a focus attack so not sure how Gouken is 'broken' because of this.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Found a Fighting Stick Ex 2, which means the amount of money I have spent on SF4 is utterly stupid, but I am completely hooked on this game. RPG on the DS plus waiting for ranked matches in SF4 equals awesome gaming time.
Anyone who has the 360 version can add me as Kojikun.

dfyb

Banned
Relix said:

gouken can use his counter on ultras, yeah. if you're facing a good gouken.... don't throw out random supers/ultras -- combo into them or punish his move. if he had the time to do his counter, he could just as easily have jumped over your ultra and punish you with his ultra (with almost any character). he simply chose a more flashy approach.

slayn

Yeah I don't see the big deal.
If you are doing an ultra while your opponent is just standing there and is free to react, you are asking to die.

blackadde

i end up empty jumping on gouken a lot, people seem to always want to hit that jump-in with a counter so i just jab into ultra afterwards.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
slayn said:
Yeah I don't see the big deal.
If you are doing an ultra while your opponent is just standing there and is free to react, you are asking to die.

Huh... let's see what I wrote back there...

"He threw his Hadoken at me, I did a wakeup Ultra"

My wakeup setup for Shoto-like players is to do a Ultra wakeup when they throw a hadoken. Works for Ryu most of the time, same for Ken, which is why I did it for Gouken. Of course I am not gonna throw a random Ultra. -_-.

Ploid 3.0

Bob White said:
th_rsz_cammy_kylie.jpg

anyone up for some games?

psn : itwasfunny

Holy crap, this guy is insane. I wish I recorded some of his work. This is an example of people to fear in SF4 gawd. Made my blanka seem like he needed false teeth. You're crazy man.

I need to throw more, get some good jab moves, and crap I don't know. I really need some jabs to interrupt the opponent though. A lot of people mess me up with simple rapid jab pokes. Blanka's feet make terrible jabs. Maybe if I mix in the hands with the feet so it won't thunder shock.

slayn

Relix said:
Huh... let's see what I wrote back there...

"He threw his Hadoken at me, I did a wakeup Ultra"

My wakeup setup for Shoto-like players is to do a Ultra wakeup when they throw a hadoken. Works for Ryu most of the time, same for Ken, which is why I did it for Gouken. Of course I am not gonna throw a random Ultra. -_-.
Then the important lesson isn't about gouken's counter, its that gouken recovers very quickly from his fireballs like guile.

either way, counter->ultra isn't a big deal

Relix said:

Gouken recovers from hadokens much faster than the regular shotos.

RevenantKioku

By the way, what is Gouken saying when he throws his balls? I hear spadoken.

jdub03

Just tried out seth in a couple ranked matches. He's so fun to use. I destroyed a zangief player, But the rest I lost. I had a very close match with a really good gen player. His GT was unspoken hadou or something like that. Seth is a fun character to use.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
slayn said:
Then the important lesson isn't about gouken's counter, its that gouken recovers very quickly from his fireballs like guile.

either way, counter->ultra isn't a big deal

I just learned this :lol :lol

MIMIC

Banned
Sanjay said:
WOW, todays been a great day, 2500 to 3100 battle points, on the way today I beat a Sagat player at 4k and a Dictator at 10k :O

Blanka rules.

God damn. Nice.

I'm starting to use Blanka now and I'm beginning to love him. Highest guy I beat so far was someone nearing 4k

Top Bottom