• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

haunts

Bacon of Hope
_dementia said:
sorry to hear about the brackets, but congrats regardless

did you use Sagat?

Yeah pretty much the whole time.. Some hard fought battles, but I had to play a guy who was in losers when I was in winners bracket and I lost to him and was sent to losers. MADE NO SENSE! I shouldn't have had to play the guy.. :\

Oh well.

Got 3rd in 3s as well but it wasn't as big.. I could have won but just got kind of silly.. I was playing hella disrespectful to this Yun player, trying to attack him when he would activate. :lol

prodystopian said:
How was the competition at the top? Any videos?

Nice work!

It got pretty fierce, I had to beat a friend of mine Crackfiend to stay in winners bracket and it was a super intense match. Hes probably the best Balrog in NorCal. X_x

Some of the people played soooooo random though so I had to play super safe the whole tournament. I played like a douche bag pretty much the whole way thru. My makoto play was far more entertaining. LOL.

haunts said:
Yeah pretty much the whole time.. Some hard fought battles, but I had to play a guy who was in losers when I was in winners bracket and I lost to him and was snet to losers. MADE NO SENSE! I shouldn't have had to play the guy.. :\

Oh well.

Got 3rd in 3s as well but it wasn't as big.. I could have won but just got kind of silly.. I was playing hella disrespectful to this Yun player, trying to attack him when he would activate. :lol
that's pretty silly. poorly organized.

oh, who did you use in 3S?

edit: saw your edit

Sai

So, I got the PS3 version when it came out, just tried playing online for the first time yesterday afternoon. I'm surprised how stable the game plays online, even at 4 bars. Much better than what I remember of CvS2 and 3rd Strike on Live.

I thought I did pretty okay for a beginner. But I'm still so used to 3rd Strike, attempting parries at the worst possible times 'n' all. :/ There was one player that I couldn't get a single win on, I think his handle was Mindigo, somethin' like that... After 5 straight wins, he politely messaged me and told me something along the lines of "good games, but I'm looking for some competition". I think I would have preferred if he went with the typical online douchebag route and insulted me. :lol I honestly felt kinda bad.

So, if anybody has the PS3 version, and lives on the East Coast, mind going a few rounds later today? Handle's SoldiaBlue, should be on around 6. I plan on picking up the 360 version in a couple of weeks, since a lot of my friends went for that instead.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
_dementia said:
that's pretty silly. poorly organized.

oh, who did you use in 3S?

edit: saw your edit

Yeah it was dumb, they didnt expect the tournament to be so large and I think it was their first time doing one this big. It was just an issue of not tracking wins/losses properly.

Ohhh well..

I had this goofy shit happen where I Uppercut to FADC....crossed under the other guy, did a F+RH the OTHER way and follow up with Ultra.. the Ultra wiffed but would have connected if I was just a little quicker. :lol

haunts said:
It got pretty fierce, I had to beat a friend of mine Crackfiend to stay in winners bracket and it was a super intense match. Hes probably the best Balrog in NorCal. X_x

Some of the people played soooooo random though so I had to play super safe the whole tournament. I played like a douche bag pretty much the whole way thru. My makoto play was far more entertaining. LOL.

I've either heard of or seen some videos of Crackfiend. He's definitely a good player from what I know.

Zapages

Guys you got to listen to this:

We all know how cheesy indestructible is right...

Well get ready to listen to first english version of the songs:

Its OMG bad... Like Street Fighter the Cartoon version bad....

This was posted by IGN's Youtube:

Main Theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf5qXdA8mVw&feature=PlayList&p=2D7A76C96ABE47AB&index=11

Now get ready for the in-game voices: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY2esNNKg1o&feature=PlayList&p=2D7A76C96ABE47AB&index=12

OMG :lol :lol :lol This bad. Thank God for what we got.

Danielsan

Well I just got this game.
My first Street Fighter game, I'm totally shit at this game.
The cpu is whooping my ass big time on medium arcade... :(

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
BIG BUBBA said:
Is there going to be a "buy-all-costumes-for-a-reduced-price" download soon, or am I stuck buying each individual pack?

Still curious...

haunts

Bacon of Hope
prodystopian said:
I've either heard of or seen some videos of Crackfiend. He's definitely a good player from what I know.

Yeah TBH I got kinda lucky, he missed a fat combo like 3 times. :\

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Zapages said:

Main Theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf5qXdA8mVw&feature=PlayList&p=2D7A76C96ABE47AB&index=11

Now get ready for the in-game voices: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY2esNNKg1o&feature=PlayList&p=2D7A76C96ABE47AB&index=12

Dude, it's a joke.

haunts said:
Yeah TBH I got kinda lucky, he missed a fat combo like 3 times. :\

I'm not that great, but my execution is getting better and I was 'on' yesterday against my friend's Ken except for one thing: I could not time my ultra to punish for the life of me. I lost about three matches either whiffing it or missing the input. Had some great matches, though.

I'm so glad this game is online. I was having a lot of fun when Tekken 5 when it came out, but with no local competition (none of my local friends were playing at the time) I lost interest. Having online gives me a much better incentive to get better and play some decent competition.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
prodystopian said:
I'm not that great, but my execution is getting better and I was 'on' yesterday against my friend's Ken except for one thing: I could not time my ultra to punish for the life of me. I lost about three matches either whiffing it or missing the input. Had some great matches, though.

I'm so glad this game is online. I was having a lot of fun when Tekken 5 when it came out, but with no local competition (none of my local friends were playing at the time) I lost interest. Having online gives me a much better incentive to get better and play some decent competition.

Yeah, I agree.. I mean the online isnt perfect but it's definitely good enough to keep you on your game and up to speed on match ups and stuff. Playing people who are local online, I mean it's almost as good as playing offline imo.

Who are you playing these days btw? Chun Li???

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Zapages said:

Main Theme:

Indestructible is one of the best game songs ever. Its a fact.

haunts said:
Yeah, I agree.. I mean the online isnt perfect but it's definitely good enough to keep you on your game and up to speed on match ups and stuff. Playing people who are local online, I mean it's almost as good as playing offline imo.

Who are you playing these days btw? Chun Li???

I main Chun online, and I've been trying to get my Sagat game up offline. I tried playing him against my friend and got eaten up. I think I know too much to be a cheap spammer, but can't execute with him enough to be a threat yet:lol . Plus, I think I got into some bad habits playing the survivor mode with him.

Note about Chun: I can just imagine my friend's face when I do the D/F+RH on wakeup. I mix it up so as not to be predictable, but damn that move is fun. I think it is the speed that makes it hard to react to.

I keep watching this set of matches for Sagat and Chun and realize how far I have to go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4WZUKbIzAo

The execution throughout most of these matches is incredible to me. Every little opening is a combo, and even into ultra EVERY TIME.

Dartastic

I'm ashamed to say I rage quit for the for the first time yesterday. I was playing against a turtling Guile who kept taunting me. I wasn't having it. =/

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dartastic said:
I'm ashamed to say I rage quit for the for the first time yesterday. I was playing against a turtling Guile who kept taunting me. I wasn't having it. =/

why didnt you just go kill him? :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
prodystopian said:
I main Chun online, and I've been trying to get my Sagat game up offline. I tried playing him against my friend and got eaten up. I think I know too much to be a cheap spammer, but can't execute with him enough to be a threat yet:lol . Plus, I think I got into some bad habits playing the survivor mode with him.

Note about Chun: I can just imagine my friend's face when I do the D/F+RH on wakeup. I mix it up so as not to be predictable, but damn that move is fun. I think it is the speed that makes it hard to react to.

I keep watching this set of matches for Sagat and Chun and realize how far I have to go:

The execution throughout most of these matches is incredible to me. Every little opening is a combo, and even into ultra EVERY TIME.

Watching that video...

1) I really want to know how he throws those Kikokens so quickly. Must be he throws them and quickly gets back to charge.
2) I reaaallly need to practice the EX Lightning Kicks + Ultra. The RB button of the Xbox is sightly unresponsive and it makes it hard to pull off the kicks and the Ultra. Guess this means I'll need to buy a Stick soon :lol
3) Damn fireball spamming. I can usually manage it but maybe at the level the Sagat dude was throwing them I would be overwhelmed. I can FA the Fireballs and cancel but maybe that is too fast for me. Could be the controller that doesn't help, but I am fairly sure I can pull that out.

Means I am off to practice mode!!! :lol

Dartastic said:

I am guilty of taunting people, but usually against shotos. I just leave them on the floor and taunt close to them. There was once this mad guy who threw a Ryu's Ultra while I taunted him. I admit I was scared for a second but Chun jumped just in time to deliver the finish him :lol

Danielsan said:
Well I just got this game.
My first Street Fighter game, I'm totally shit at this game.
The cpu is whooping my ass big time on medium arcade... :(

Dude, EASY is hard in Arcade.

I'm trying to learn Chun Li and I am having trouble getting through easy. =/

Relix said:
Watching that video...

1) I really want to know how he throws those Kikokens so quickly. Must be he throws them and quickly gets back to charge.
2) I reaaallly need to practice the EX Lightning Kicks + Ultra. The RB button of the Xbox is sightly unresponsive and it makes it hard to pull off the kicks and the Ultra. Guess this means I'll need to buy a Stick soon :lol

I don't think I could play a charge character without a stick.

2) That EX Legs > Ultra is so awesome and he hits it all the time. It just reminds me I ALWAYS need to have a charge. This game really is like chess. Seeing ahead a few moves (hit EX Legs and have a charge > Ultra) can mean so much extra damage.

Dartastic

haunts said:
why didnt you just go kill him? :p

He would taunt me while I was on the floor. =/

Relix said:
I am guilty of taunting people, but usually against shotos. I just leave them on the floor and taunt close to them. There was once this mad guy who threw a Ryu's Ultra while I taunted him. I admit I was scared for a second but Chun jumped just in time to deliver the finish him :lol

I play Ryu. Heh.

I love crappy Gouken players who think they are playing Street Fighter 3rd Strike and try to guess parry everything I do.

Hey guys, throw beats parry. Just thought I'd share that information with you, because alot of you seem to be aloof to that.

Also Fuerte played properly is , annoying scary or scarily anoying I'm not sure yet.

prodystopian said:

Does Sagat's lk tiger knee 2nd hit not connect on a crouching chun?

And to do fast fireballs w/ charge character all you do is :

Back 2 sec, forward, back(hold), punch.

That way you can start your charge for the next fireball before the first one even comes out.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Yeah his airthrow is pretty awesome. Killa Sasa had a couple rounds where he was raping me with it in our tournament matches. It changed the mentality of the next rounds completely.

Dartastic

Are there any other easier ways to unlock the costumes besides completing the various challenges? I'm trying to unlock Ryu's 5th and 6th costumes, and I don't think I can beat 22 people w/o dying, and I can't get past the 5th stage on survival.

Dartastic said:
Cammy punished my insanity though. Haha! I'm trying again.

The only times you need to watch out are when you're fighting Cammy. That bitch will make you regret Lariats. Good news is the AI is pretty stupid and if you hold down+back to block, Cammy will often try the backhand, giving you plenty of time to lariat on reaction.

Tell me if that works against her.:D

Dartastic

prodystopian said:
Tell me if that works against her.:D

SHE'S NOT KNUCKLING GAUGHGHGHGH

EDIT - GOT HER. TIME FOR E. HONDA.

EDIT 2 - NOW FOR BLANKA. :lol

EDIT 3 - NOW FOR VEGA! :lol :lol :lol :lol

EDIT 4 - FFS THIS IS INCREDIBLE BISON TIME!

EDIT 5 - FOR THE LULZ TIME FOR ROSE. <3 Gief.

EDIT 6 - <3'ING WHEN THEY FOCUS ATTACK (OR TRY TO) RUFUS

EDIT 7 - Might as well keep updating. Sakura? Hahahhahahaha

EDIT 8 - Wow. Three Lariats. Sagat. He's going to be toast.

EDIT 9 - FUERTE TIEM

EDIT 10 - ALTERNATE COSTUME GET? NO! KEN TIME

EDIT 11 - CHUN LI? MORE LIKE CHUN LARIAAAAAAAAAAAT!

EDIT 12 - It'd be super funny if I lost to Dan. Strange thing is, he did more damage to me than anyone else so far. Haha!

Edit 13. Akuma. Sigh.

Edit 14. I want this to end already. How many stages in survival are there? Abel time. Ugh.

Shadow780

Dartastic said:
Are there any other easier ways to unlock the costumes besides completing the various challenges? I'm trying to unlock Ryu's 5th and 6th costumes, and I don't think I can beat 22 people w/o dying, and I can't get past the 5th stage on survival.

again, Zangief and his Lariat.

Dartastic said:
SHE'S NOT KNUCKLING GAUGHGHGHGH

EDIT - GOT HER. TIME FOR E. HONDA.

EDIT 2 - NOW FOR BLANKA. :lol

EDIT 3 - NOW FOR VEGA! :lol :lol :lol :lol

EDIT 4 - FFS THIS IS INCREDIBLE BISON TIME!

EDIT 5 - FOR THE LULZ TIME FOR ROSE. <3 Gief.

EDIT 6 - <3'ING WHEN THEY FOCUS ATTACK (OR TRY TO) RUFUS TIEMMMM

Hahhaa. Any tips for Cammy, then?

Zapages

Arpharmd B said:
I love crappy Gouken players who think they are playing Street Fighter 3rd Strike and try to guess parry everything I do.

Hey guys, throw beats parry. Just thought I'd share that information with you, because alot of you seem to be aloof to that.

Also Fuerte played properly is , annoying scary or scarily anoying I'm not sure yet.

The best is Crappy Seth players... I played 2000 BP Seth player...:lol

Dartastic

prodystopian said:
Hahhaa. Any tips for Cammy, then?

Be really, really careful. She's only the 2nd person in though, so it's not too much of a factor. Be a bit careful of Fei also, as his startup fire kick can beat your lariat. He also does it a lot. Also be careful of Gief, as he can startup throw. That's also bad.

Oh jesus. Cammy was also like the 26th in. That was almost bad.

Ri'Orius

RevenantKioku said:
I thought it was said there was a way to see what you were inputting. I don't know why I read it as that.
But that's what I want. :(

I'm pretty sure there's an option for that if you go into challenge mode and bring up the pause menu. I've forgotten where it was, though... I tried turning it on, and didn't find it as helpful as I'd imagined it would.

But it's there, if you want to give it a shot.

Shinjitsu

Banned
haunts said:
Gouken players are so wack

=( I'm trying to main him. I have to get stupid goofy with him at times though...I just can't find bread a butter combos with him. Seems like I eather dominate people with him, or I get smoked once they figure out what I'm doing to zone with him.

I'm still waiting for a really good Gouken to show up in hopes I can do something to improve my game with him.

Top Bottom