• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Ferrio

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
I don't see how Third Strike or Super Turbo are any more or less technical than SFIV.

Which I'll agree on. It just rubs me the wrong way that there's this whole subsystem that either is amazing or downright worthless mattering on who your character is. Also some characters being able to combo ultras and others not being able to really stinks too.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Ferrio said:
Another thing that bugs me is I like fighters with lots of technical aspects... SFIV kinda lacks that currently. It does have FADC, but unfortunately how useful they are among characters is dramatic. There's like *nothing* for Rose that's decent with it, but other characters can pull off amazing shit.

I can't think of many fighters where the technical requirements are even across the board roughtly-

VF, KOF98UM, SC, STHD maybe.

I kind of freaked out on my cousin today. He was over at my house and wanted to play SFIV online. I told him to just play player matches because he's not that good and he'll cost me BP. But he insist on playing Ranked because he wants to play with something on the line so the matches would be more competitive even though I tell him everybody tries just as hard regardless of whether it's a Rank or Player match. So we proceed to pass the controller back and forth. He wins like 2 out of 8 matches, I win 7 out of 9.

During his matches I'm constantly yelling at him for falling for the most simplest strategies that people are using against him. Like when he sweeps a Ken, I tell him to get near the guy and block. Instead he isn't blocking and gets hit with a flaming dragon punch.....constantly. He blames the controller, but I have no problems with it when it's my turn. I get frustrated and constantly tell him he sucks and why he insist on playing Rank when he's going to lose to anyone who isn't brain dead.

I never try to sound to serious though, I keep looking like I'm half joking but I'm sure he knew I didn't like it. I actually kind of apologized later and he said it's no big deal because we always talk shit to each other about stuff like this. But seriously, I don't want the guy playing Rank matches anymore unless he proves to be as good as me.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
I kind of freaked out on my cousin today. He was over at my house and wanted to play SFIV online. I told him to just play player matches because he's not that good and he'll cost me BP. But he insist on playing Ranked because he wants to play with something on the line so the matches would be more meaningful even though I tell him everybody tries just as hard regardless of whether it's a Rank or Player match. So we proceed to pass the controller back and forth. He wins like 2 out of 8 matches, I win 7 out of 9.

During his matches I'm constantly yelling at him for falling for the most simplest strategies that people are using against him. Like when he sweeps a Ken, I tell him to get near the guy and block. Instead he isn't blocking and gets hit with a flaming dragon punch. He blames the controller, but I have no problems with it when it's my turn. I get frustrated and constantly tell him he sucks and why he insist on playing Rank when he's just going to lose to anyone who isn't brain dead.

I never try to sound to serious though, I keep looking like I'm half joking but I'm sure he knew I didn't like it. I actually kind of apologized later and he said it's not big deal because we always talk shit to each other about stuff like this. But seriously, I don't want the guy playing Rank matches anymore unless he proves to be as good as me.

Have him use his own account?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Shinjitsu said:
Have him use his own account?

This or have him sign up for a new live account and I believe you get 1 month gold for free. I had this problem with my brother before so I put a passcode on my live account so he couldnt sign in.

Torquill

Shinjitsu said:
You can combo off the EX version>dash>Hurricane Kick

Also use it to try and surprise fireball spammers, since it goes threw them.
Unless you're a Sagat Fireball. Cause god knows Sagat needed another advantage.

SoulFist

Got my first hate mail: "All you do is fuckin throw." My reply: " :) you can do a throw escape by pressing lp+lk, young grasshopper."

It's hard not to throw when blankaballs get you so close. :<

qcf x2

haunts said:
No, it was a perfect example. C. Viper dosent use FADC all that often but still has some disgusting combos and set ups. It's not a trick, its like the bedrock of advanced Viper play.

What I'm saying is there is more to the game then you may realize, you just need to put in the hours and find it. If you dont want to do that, thats fine, but dont fault the game because you havent put in the work to make your character dope.

See, I don't think anybody is dissing the game. It's fun. It just feels (at least to me) like the master strategies will all be discovered within the first year or 15 months of the game's initial release. As opposed to, say, 3s where it took a good part of a decade. It's really not comparable to 3s, more of a complimentary title for people like me. Which is fine.

But Viper's HJC and feint combos are more about physical requirements than tactical thought, which is unfortunate. If I could cancel her moves with a kick instead of a punch, that would make sense. I'd never get an EX cancelled thunder knuckle. FWIW I've done her cr FP-->TK feint-->Ultra, but it is needlessly complicated for a two attack combo. This isn't the same as being tactical.

MIMIC

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
I kind of freaked out on my cousin today. He was over at my house and wanted to play SFIV online. I told him to just play player matches because he's not that good and he'll cost me BP. But he insist on playing Ranked because he wants to play with something on the line so the matches would be more competitive even though I tell him everybody tries just as hard regardless of whether it's a Rank or Player match. So we proceed to pass the controller back and forth. He wins like 2 out of 8 matches, I win 7 out of 9.

During his matches I'm constantly yelling at him for falling for the most simplest strategies that people are using against him. Like when he sweeps a Ken, I tell him to get near the guy and block. Instead he isn't blocking and gets hit with a flaming dragon punch.....constantly. He blames the controller, but I have no problems with it when it's my turn. I get frustrated and constantly tell him he sucks and why he insist on playing Rank when he's going to lose to anyone who isn't brain dead.

I never try to sound to serious though, I keep looking like I'm half joking but I'm sure he knew I didn't like it. I actually kind of apologized later and he said it's no big deal because we always talk shit to each other about stuff like this. But seriously, I don't want the guy playing Rank matches anymore unless he proves to be as good as me.

214b2aq.png

SHORYUKEN!!!1

blackadde

hey findmyfarms, good games. rog is a really strange mirror match. we both have a problem with random headbutts for sure, but that headbutt/ultra double KO was pretty funny.

c.strong to headbutt is a neat trick, i'm going to incorporate that asap.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
qcf x2 said:
See, I don't think anybody is dissing the game. It's fun. It just feels (at least to me) like the master strategies will all be discovered within the first year or 15 months of the game's initial release. As opposed to, say, 3s where it took a good part of a decade. It's really not comparable to 3s, more of a complimentary title for people like me. Which is fine.

I remember when they said that about 3s then Tokido showed up and showed everyone how to play Urien. What makes you think SFIV is any different? If anything the potential for madness is much higher due to the Focus Attack and its depth.

This is what im talking about though, I was around when the same mentality was applied to 3s and a year or two before the game dies people are finally seeing whats up.

But Viper's HJC and feint combos are more about physical requirements than tactical thought, which is unfortunate. If I could cancel her moves with a kick instead of a punch, that would make sense. I'd never get an EX cancelled thunder knuckle. FWIW I've done her cr FP-->TK feint-->Ultra, but it is needlessly complicated for a two attack combo. This isn't the same as being tactical.

If her fient combos were easy she would probably be banned/completely broken. :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm glad people are seeing now how nasty Honda is, something I saw in him all this time...

I just hope that this doesn't start some Honda epidemic online all of a sudden, because after nearly 200 hours of SFIV, I am seriously the ONLY Honda I've ever seen online, not even any of my friends play as him either...

it's time to take my game to the next level, i feel i've been at a plateau for a while and really want to amp up my game. any advice? any advance players here care to play a few matches and critique me? i could use all the help possible so if you wanna help a brotha out add me on PSN.

Add in profile......thanks :D

slayn

needs to show more effort.
SF4 seems more technical to me than any other street fighter game I've played.
But it seems much, much less technical than, say, guilty gear.

CPS2

SF4's combo potential is massive. You can FADC any move that can be super cancelled, there's tonnes of them! Even Rose can follow up her soul fuck with FADC into plenty of other stuff. And consider the situational stuff, like anti-air lvl 3 focus attacks being used to set up combos, you can get some crazy shit happening off them. If you honestly feel like you're close to figuring everything out, plz make a video :D

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Skilotonn said:
I'm glad people are seeing now how nasty Honda is, something I saw in him all this time...

Until you come over to Japan... and then Honda gets owned. :lol

qcf x2

haunts said:
I remember when they said that about 3s then Tokido showed up and showed everyone how to play Urien. What makes you think SFIV is any different? If anything the potential for madness is much higher due to the Focus Attack and its depth.

This is what im talking about though, I was around when the same mentality was applied to 3s and a year or two before the game dies people are finally seeing whats up.

I guess we'll see. I truly hope you're right, though. I was a yute when 3s came out and I was resistant to a lot of it (EX moves, using parries for more than projectiles, etc) for quite some time. And yes, it took a long time for the game to be fully figured out. But we didn't have Youtube back then, and the game didn't have a tutorial/trial that showed you how the system works. There was no previous precedent for a lot of the way the game worked. All of that had to be discovered. In SF4 it's all given to you, you just have to decide how to use it (it being the FA's).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
BTW, has anyone heard anything, and I mean anything lately about the MadCatz TE sticks, let alone ANY MadCatz pads/sticks coming to Europe? I've given up all hope in getting one, and the one shop I know that actually got anything from them never got anything after the first shipment of Fight Pads and SE sticks - they never even got a TE stick in, and all of their 360 stuff sold out instantly...

I know the guys that own the place so I would have definitely had something from the first shipment had I known how things would have turned out - it's really disappointing, although the 360 pad isn't even a problem for me, I know I want to move on to a good stick but I can't...

El Fuerte thing is pretty cool as well BTW - all this stuff they're finding out right now with the characters like this, or kara-cancelling Balrog's EX Dash Low to EX Straight - who knows what else will be found next...

Arde5643

Arde5643 said:
Oh shiiit! Fuerte can do instant ultra from his EX Run:
http://www.zshare.net/video/574955735a9d8f81/

jdub03 said:
Its stuff like this that's going to make SFIV deep. I can't wait to see what they find next.

Actually, it doesn't stop with just that. Skisonic from SRK (again as usual) has added this tidbits about Ultra from runs:

The biggest problem with doing instant ultra from run is:
skisonic said:
This is like balrog's Kara EX Ultra, only much less useful imo because you must totally commit to the input anyway. In pretty much every case where Kara EX would hit, random ultra would hit as well, but the Kara EX is an option select so it grants you a bit of time to confirm an ultra. The problem is, the extra complicated input required to perform it with Fuerte takes it from a ghetto hitconfirm to a crazy flashy set up.

But he has a pretty good nifty solution:

skisonic said:
HOWEVER, this is something that perhaps everyone hasn't noticed, but you can do pretty much the same thing with Run~Stop~Ultra, being as how stop has (almost?) no recovery...

And here's how:

skisonic said:
So there's two ways to do RSUltra. There's a quick version, and a long version.

Quick version is done in the early frames of the run. It's a lot like Kara EX Ultra but there's much more leniency for a true confirmation. It goes QCF~PP, QCF+LP, QCF+KKK. Here you basically buffer the first motion of the ultra into the stop, and then just do another fireball + KKK for ultra. This is imo the best way to do the Ultra in close quarters because you should be able to react to most things within half screen pretty easily. Pretty direct.

Next way is a little more interesting. QCF~PP, QCF, QCF, LP~KKK. Obviously, you buffer the full Ultra, so it makes sense to do this one a little later in the run. In this you get an even easier hit confirm, just mash 3 buttons. I think this nice sprinkled in offensively, works vs laggy moves/some fireballs.

The main benefit of both of these versions is, they are pretty much safe because you just stop if you don't want to commit to the super. There's no crazy super input involved for little reward, instead, you have a low risk/high reward offensive maneuver to sprinkle into your game. Use it all at your own discretion.

Can't wait to try this once I'm done with work.

This makes Fuerte's ultra much more versatile and the EX Run a pretty frightening move once you have ultra. Of course, this means I probably will never ever use any super combo. :lol

CPS2

Skilotonn said:
BTW, has anyone heard anything, and I mean anything lately about the MadCatz TE sticks, let alone ANY MadCatz pads/sticks coming to Europe? I've given up all hope in getting one, and the one shop I know that actually got anything from them never got anything after the first shipment of Fight Pads and SE sticks - they never even got a TE stick in, and all of their 360 stuff sold out instantly...

I know the guys that own the place so I would have definitely had something from the first shipment had I known how things would have turned out - it's really disappointing, although the 360 pad isn't even a problem for me, I know I want to move on to a good stick but I can't...

2nd batch is ready now, and starting to ship. I wouldn't wait for them to show up at your local game store, order one asap from a place that ships internationally. It may already be too late to get in on the 2nd batch.

rinker

I'm having a ridiculously hard time doing QFC QFC Ultras and I'm usually doing Half Z EXs on accident. What is it that distinguishes these moves? I've done EX moves when I mean to do an ultra so many times my hair is gunna fall out.

jdub03

Arde5643 said:
Actually, it doesn't stop with just that. Skisonic from SRK (again as usual) has added this tidbits about Ultra from runs:

The biggest problem with doing instant ultra from run is:

But he has a pretty good nifty solution:

And here's how:

Can't wait to try this once I'm done with work.

This makes Fuerte's ultra much more versatile and the EX Run a pretty frightening move once you have ultra. Of course, this means I probably will never ever use any super combo. :lol

I need something like this for rufus. I'm trying to level up my character with extra advanced techniques. I'll have to work on my link combos until then.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
UC1 said:
2nd batch is ready now, and starting to ship. I wouldn't wait for them to show up at your local game store, order one asap from a place that ships internationally. It may already be too late to get in on the 2nd batch.

Thanks for the heads-up man!

I'll be looking into that since I have it on order online, but locally though - I'll cancel that as soon as I find somewhere else...

Oichi

jdub03 said:
I need something like this for rufus. I'm trying to level up my character with extra advanced techniques. I'll have to work on my link combos until then.

lol no you don't... Rufus has some of the easiest ways to land ultra in the game! Unlike the other top tier characters like Sagat and Ryu, Rufus doesn't even need FADC to land an ultra.:lol

Ploid 3.0

If Capcom support this game, and put out patches to tweak the online mode to perfection, I may get a arcade stick. I'm having a hard time doing Blanka's Hop forward ultra consistently. It seems to work better online, maybe because of some internet code thing, but offline it's a bit tougher. The Hop past a enemy ultra is less successful. Sega Saturn USB pad will help me better I hope. Well with exploring characters outside of Blanka. Blanka is very comfortable with a Sixaxis to me. Maybe Bison would be too.

Zabka

Oichi said:
lol no you don't... Rufus has some of the easiest ways to land ultra in the game! Unlike the other top tier characters like Sagat and Ryu, Rufus doesn't even need FADC to land an ultra.:lol
I take it you've never been hit by a jab dragon punch anti-air into Ultra, or an EX hurricane kick into Ultra in the corner from Ryu. Plus Sagat has that insane HK anti-air to HK juggle to Ultra.

Oichi said:

I've never FADC to land a Ultra because I can't do it in a actual match but I've landed plenty of easy Ultras with Ryu. A MP when both my opponent and I are airborne and a weak dragon punch when my opponent is jumping in on me allows Ryu to juggle with both his Ultra and Super. And a weak dragon punch even when you and your opponent are grounded will give Ryu time to land his Super as well. So Ryu has plenty of easy options at his disposal if you can't pull off a DP>FADC.

Oichi

Zabka said:
I take it you've never been hit by a jab dragon punch anti-air into Ultra, or an EX hurricane kick into Ultra in the corner from Ryu. Plus Sagat has that insane HK anti-air to HK juggle to Ultra.

I've had it done on me and I've done it on people, but you keep thinking to yourself that you're a clever one. Rufus has LK -> HK target combo, air to air j.HK, corner LP Tornado, into Ultra, all of which doesn't require FADC or meter for that matter. He doesn't need kara bullshit into Ultra, which was the point I was addressing.

BitchTits

rinker said:
I'm having a ridiculously hard time doing QFC QFC Ultras and I'm usually doing Half Z EXs on accident. What is it that distinguishes these moves? I've done EX moves when I mean to do an ultra so many times my hair is gunna fall out.
I do that too, usually with Abel (EX air-grab comes out when I want Ultra), so f-ing annoying. I put it down to the 360 pad of course, there's no way it's me! ;)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
rinker said:

It's exactly like you say - you're not completing the second QCF, so you're basically only ending the motion with the forward, down, then down-forward + PPP, which gets you any EX move with a dragon punch motion...

Same with why if you end the final forward of Blanka's Ultra with down-forward instead of straight forward, you'll get his cowardly crouch move every time - it has to end absolutely forward...

SFIV's motion is much, much more tighter than any other SF before, they purposely tightened the technical execution of the game to encourage good execution instead of sloppy luck it seems... all the other Street Fighters were more lenient in motion, and there was no "priority choice" between two moves that this one has now, which is why we never had a problem with this in the past...

Put extra effort in making sure you hit forward before hitting PPP or KKK and you'll see that the Ultra will come out 100% every time - this was really kicking my ass in the first few weeks, to the point where I blamed the d-pad or stick, till I found it out through messing around in the Training mode with inputs shown on-screen...

I don't have that problem any more, and Ultras come out properly every time now - but basically it's Capcom's "fault" that their previous fighters were so lenient with move inputs when they decided to make it more precise now...

PhatSaqs

Banned
The getting EX moves instead of Ultras thing has more to do with the new df,df DP shortcut than anything else. SF4s motion input is much more lenient. Just compare doing a hoolign or Feis chickwn wing in SF4 vs ST.

But Skils right in advising to concentrate on hitting the forward portion of the motion for QCF x 2 Ultras.

BitchTits

Skilotonn said:
SFIV's motion is much, much more tighter than any other SF before, they purposely tightened the technical execution of the game to encourage good execution instead of sloppy luck it seems...
Yet, they added in df, df+P as a shortcut for all the Shoto spammers!

jdub03

Oichi said:

Well You don't level up by doing the same thing over and over. I'm trying to add diversity to my play style. Plus with good opponents you can always count on the easy setups.

Zabka said:
It's actually f.RH -> f.RH. An s.RH resets in the air. The f.RH is a little trickier to connect because of the long startup.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Ri'Orius said:
I'm pretty sure there's an option for that if you go into challenge mode and bring up the pause menu. I've forgotten where it was, though... I tried turning it on, and didn't find it as helpful as I'd imagined it would.

But it's there, if you want to give it a shot.
No, that's in Training. As far as I can dig in the menus there isn't something like that for the Trials.

Dartastic

NICE! FIRST HATE MAIL!

He said, "wow you are terrible less hadoken more skill fag"

So I said, "zomg learn 2 zone. scrub."

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Just came in here to post that it's so much fun attempting to challenge El Fuerte's speed (in the hands of a competent player) as an offensive Dhalsim. That is all.

blackadde

the input window is super lenient in this game and there are weird shortcuts for moves that didn't exist before. reversals are also crazy easy to do compared to say third strike or st. with the possible exception of HDR (i dont play that game) this is the most forgiving sf game pretty much ever.

Zapages

All I have to say 1500+ BP now... :)

I am trying to play more smart now compared to before. Also isn't doing cross overs easier than before???

Top Bottom