• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Shinjitsu said:
=( I'm trying to main him. I have to get stupid goofy with him at times though...I just can't find bread a butter combos with him. Seems like I eather dominate people with him, or I get smoked once they figure out what I'm doing to zone with him.

I'm still waiting for a really good Gouken to show up in hopes I can do something to improve my game with him.

Yeah its because he doesnt really have any. Its like, round starts, throw fireballs, do some dumb shit, try to parry..oh I got ultra? do whatever it takes to get in and throw.. -_-;

Raxus

haunts said:
Yeah its because he doesnt really have any. Its like, round starts, throw fireballs, do some dumb shit, try to parry..oh I got ultra? do whatever it takes to get in and throw.. -_-;
His "Shoryuken" is weird too. Do you advance with that move or is it strictly another move to serve your opponent up in the air?

Zapages

There is one thing I hate about the game is the high priority that the Ken's Fire Shuruken gets... Seriously its annoying how much noobs exploit it. I mean you can block it and punish them again, but still its annoying when you are on a off day and they just keep on spamming that move.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Raxus said:
His "Shoryuken" is weird too. Do you advance with that move or is it strictly another move to serve your opponent up in the air?

You can combo off the EX version>dash>Hurricane Kick

Also use it to try and surprise fireball spammers, since it goes threw them.

Won

Zapages said:
There is one thing I hate about the game is the high priority that the Ken's Fire Shuruken gets... Seriously its annoying how much noobs exploit it. I mean you can block it and punish them again, but still its annoying when you are on a off day and they just keep on spamming that move.

As Fuerte player I say remove all variations of Shoryukens from the game! Annoying move!

I'm also ready to put Blanka on the list of broken characters. He is just crazy.....

Aeris130

Has there been any inflation of points in the system due to players generating more ponts then they lose (is this even possible)? I used to have troubles staying above 500, now I'm at 4000 with Rose (uphill yessir) and I still keep facing Kens and Sagats that do nothing but jump and throw projectiles, despite being at 3000+ points.

MIMIC

Banned
Shadow780 said:
again, Zangief and his Lariat.

I've been using Guile for Survival and I think I might switch to Zangief now (IIRC, I think I tried spamming the lariat in the past and it didn't work out so well).

TheFallen

Zapages said:

It's pretty much like that with anyone's EX shoryuken.

JEKKI

Street Fighter IV Ranking Battles at Arcade Infinity in southern california started yesterday.

64 people entered!! The tourney ended at 1:30AM... on a sunday night!!! (monday morning)

1 MIKE ROSS (Honda)
2 RON (Boxer)
3 KENO (Boxer)
4 BOBINO (Rufus)
5 KRYOJENIX (C. Viper)
5 SLINKUN (Guile)
7 IRONFIST (Sagat)
7 VISCANT (Blanka)

full results: http://arcadeinfinity.blogspot.com/2009/03/there-it-is-first-hit-sf4-arcade_23.html

This saturday another ranking battle season is beginning at Denjin Arcade, which I plan to be a part of.

shyt is mad hype. Like, on other game boards u got ppl talking about getting over SFIV and whatnot... Like it no longer feels new or anything... I'm like whatever, this competition is the reason u play it.

Danielsan

SnakeswithLasers said:
Dude, EASY is hard in Arcade.

I'm trying to learn Chun Li and I am having trouble getting through easy. =/
Really? That makes me feel better. :lol
Ooh well first time I've ever played a Street Fighter game so I need to get used to the fighting system. One thing that boggles my mind is that there are 3 punch and kick buttons. Way to over complicate things.

MIMIC

Banned
Danielsan said:
Ooh well first time I've ever played a Street Fighter game so I need to get used to the fighting system. One thing that boggles my mind is that there are 3 punch and kick buttons. Way to over complicate things.

You can set the 3 punches and the 3 kicks to one button.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Danielsan said:

That's what makes it Street Fighter. You will love having so many options at your disposal soon enough =)

Danielsan said:

Well, I'm probably not the best person to advocate for its difficulty to non-beginners; but from one beginner to another: this shit is hard. I played a little street fighter 10 years ago, but nothing beyond tooling around at friends' houses on the genesis.

MIMIC

Banned
Dreavus said:
Is there any reason for me to not lose on purpose in survival after meeting the "quota"?

I'm just doing it for the colours.

You may or may not care but one of the achievements involves getting all gold stars.

mYm|17|

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Attempted ranking online yesterday for the first time....

....wow, I got my ass handed to me like 27 times. I maybe won 3-5 matches at most. :|

it happens when you play at first. You will get used to playing online and you will get better

MIMIC

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Attempted ranking online yesterday for the first time....

....wow, I got my ass handed to me like 27 times. I maybe won 3-5 matches at most. :|

Yes, ranking is quite a different animal than player matches. If you want to get a feel for ranking (without losing/gaining BP) use Custom Search for player matches and set it to players more skilled then you. But like the post above mine says, you'll get better with experience.

Stubbornly, I took Viper into Ranked over the weekend. She's much more fun to play with than Balrog, but I ended up losing a lot of BP because I'm not nearly as proficient with her.

qcf x2

SnakeswithLasers said:
Well, I'm probably not the best person to advocate for its difficulty to non-beginners; but from one beginner to another: this shit is hard. I played a little street fighter 10 years ago, but nothing beyond tooling around at friends' houses on the genesis.

Did you install + patch the game?

If not, you can win on Easy by doing jump kick-->sweep on everyone including Seth.

If you installed it, it's possible you got the AI glitch where the first opponent will throw out ultras and do focus attack cancels. The solution in this case is to uninstall.

Dartastic

So on the first hard survival mode, I've had 53 wins with Gief. When does this end so I can get my costume? :lol Do I get any achievements for getting to a certain number?

Dartastic said:
So on the first hard survival mode, I've had 53 wins with Gief. When does this end so I can get my costume? :lol Do I get any achievements for getting to a certain number?

Just getting all golds. You would have to look up what the numbers are for that.

mYm|17| said:
it happens when you play at first. You will get used to playing online and you will get better

MIMIC said:
Yes, ranking is quite a different animal than player matches. If you want to get a feel for ranking (without losing/gaining BP) use Custom Search for player matches and set it to players more skilled then you. But like the post above mine says, you'll get better with experience.

Sweet lord, I hope so. What a humbling experience.

And another thing to many damn shoto pickers alright, (Ken, Ryu, Sagat, and Akuma), I felt more satisfied losing to non-shoto players cause at least it would be different and fun....well except for Vega(Claw) since that bastards spends most of the matching hitting and running wearing down the clock.

I hate it when people linger on characters, if you're going to pick Ryu or Ken, just do it already dammit!! After a while I gave up and picked Ryu 2 times in my matches when they picked a shoto, won both times....but I felt dirty picking them. :| Good god, I'm tried of shoto-characters.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
JEKKI said:
Like, on other game boards u got ppl talking about getting over SFIV and whatnot... Like it no longer feels new or anything... I'm like whatever, this competition is the reason u play it.

They are the same ppl who will be wack as fuck in 2 years wanting to get back into the game cuase they saw Daigo on YouTube.. naw fuck that, they saw haunts on youtube. :D

Give me 2 years. -_-;

BitchTits said:
Great. Nail-biting stuff! I love to see good Viper players because I always have to work so hard to win with her, picked up a few tips there.

I just can't get over how nasty her mix up game is in the right hands.

Ferrio

Banned
haunts said:
They are the same ppl who will be wack as fuck in 2 years wanting to get back into the game cuase they saw Daigo on YouTube.. naw fuck that, they saw haunts on youtube. :D

Give me 2 years. -_-;

I'm kinda with these people. The game's mechanics are still too new and need refinement, as well as the character roster itself.

Street Fighter IV Ranking Battles at Arcade Infinity in southern california started yesterday.

64 people entered!! The tourney ended at 1:30AM... on a sunday night!!! (monday morning)

1 MIKE ROSS (Honda)
2 RON (Boxer)
3 KENO (Boxer)
4 BOBINO (Rufus)
5 KRYOJENIX (C. Viper)
5 SLINKUN (Guile)
7 IRONFIST (Sagat)
7 VISCANT (Blanka)

omg, honda won? so much damage nerf tierlist BBQ!

let the bullshit begin :lol

You just need 40 wins to get gold in survival hard. I did 41 on all levels just to be safe...

i think i got about 31 wins on my first survival hard.

qcf x2

Ferrio said:
I'm kinda with these people. The game's mechanics are still too new and need refinement, as well as the character roster itself.

Agreed. It's fun and different, but needs a lot of polish/refinement. Sorta kinda reminds me of New Generation in that respect (minus the originality and ambition of that game's roster).

Dartastic

FFS, I REALIZED I'M AN IDIOT. I THOUGHT I HAD TO BEAT THE HARD SURVIVAL MODES FOR MY COSTUMES. I can beat the regular survival modes with Ryu... =( I JUST WASTED 76 WINS IN SURVIVAL FOR NOTHING FUCK

Ferrio

Banned
qcf x2 said:
Agreed. It's fun and different, but needs a lot of polish/refinement. Sorta kinda reminds me of New Generation in that respect (minus the originality and ambition of that game's roster).

Another thing that bugs me is I like fighters with lots of technical aspects... SFIV kinda lacks that currently. It does have FADC, but unfortunately how useful they are among characters is dramatic. There's like *nothing* for Rose that's decent with it, but other characters can pull off amazing shit.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
You guys are entitled to your opinions but you're talking about the game mechanics needing refinement when you cant even do Balrogs basic B&B?

This is what I'm talking about. This is the same mentality -- push the game aside until other players figure out the dope shit, post it on youtube so you can x-copy. :\

Lets talk technical aspects and mechanics when you can land a c. fp xx fient combo with C. Viper.

Arde5643

Augemitbutter said:
omg, honda won? so much damage nerf tierlist BBQ!

let the bullshit begin :lol
Both Guile and Honda actually got into the top 10 ranking wins - very crazy indeed.

It just shows how balanced the game actually is. I think because other characters are moving on up, Honda can move up as well since the lack of Sagat and Shoto players in the top (either to elimination or just preference) means that Honda has better match-ups.

Ferrio

Banned
haunts said:
You guys are entitled to your opinions but you're talking about the game mechanics needing refinement when you cant even do Balrogs basic B&B?

I got the hang of it in the end, the whole can't combo from chained lights threw me for a loop. Though I pretty much abandoned him since the only reason I liked the character is kinda gone.

Lets talk technical aspects and mechanics when you can land a c. fp xx fient combo with C. Viper.

That's the problem though, you reference a single character that has a neat trick. Well that's great and all, but I don't want play Viper. I just think that the system they have right now is really early, and a lot of the characters don't seem to take advantage of it.

Don't take it the wrong way, I don't think the game sucks. It just needs to mature a lot.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Ferrio said:
That's the problem though, you reference a single character that has a neat trick. Well that's great and all, but I don't want play Viper. I just think that the system they have right now is really early, and a lot of the characters don't seem to take advantage of it.

Don't take it the wrong way, I don't think the game sucks. It just needs to mature a lot.

No, it was a perfect example. C. Viper dosent use FADC all that often but still has some disgusting combos and set ups. It's not a trick, its like the bedrock of advanced Viper play.

People said the same thing about Cammy even when I was telling ppl Cammy will be pretty good. Low and behold, a week or two after the game release we are seeing instant Cannon Strike into Ultra.

What I'm saying is there is more to the game then you may realize, you just need to put in the hours and find it. If you dont want to do that, thats fine, but dont fault the game because you havent put in the work to make your character dope.

Top Bottom