• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I like this one lol...

3265373006_5b756666ca.jpg

Blueblur1

Wow, the videos look great. Gouken looks really cheap though. I hope he isn't. I'd hate to see any of the characters banned from tournament play.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Blueblur1 said:
Wow, the videos look great. Gouken looks really cheap though. I hope he isn't. I'd hate to see any of the characters banned from tournament play.

That stuff is weird though, I mean Chun and Ken are overpowered in 3s, but not banned. My guess is that Gouken is a character of extremes, and right now the good things are a bit more obvious. A good Street Fighter game will take years to figure out, and whoever thinks they've done it by now is gonna be wrong some months down the line.

Skilotonn said:
Damn it, I KNEW I shouldn't have come in this thread before going to bed... :(

I ended up watching one video after all, but I'm forcing myself to go to bed now though... lucky bastard got the hookups...

And about the tier list, I'm laughing before that's the cool thing about SFIV that I love so far - I remember in the first week it was all about Rufus above all, and then after that it was all Zangief, then it switched up again, then it was Sagat followed by Ryu, and all this time C. Viper & El Fuerte were at the bottom (didn't stop me from wanting to use El Fuerte as one of my mains) and now look at this - C. Viper is all of a sudden in the same league as Sagat, and El Fuerte isn't at the bottom of the barrel anymore...

When the game is finally out officially, wait for it to shuffle all over again...

Now it's time for bed...

And Ken is still lower-mid tier :(

And C.Viper is annoying as fuck. Goddamn I hate that bitch. Everyone time I go against her at the arcades it's just like -- fuuucck.

Juggle, Juggle, Juggle, Ultra

And then I'm just left with a dead Ken :(

Arde5643

Blueblur1 said:
I think he might get banned for the early tournaments coming up since most people probably haven't broken him enough. But once more experts get their hands-on him, they'll probably get a better conclusion if he's only as cheap as Sagat or broken like Ken/Chun/Yun in 3S.

Viper was thought to be really low tier but now moved to at least upper tier or upper middle tier, while Zangief who everyone thought will be god tier turned out to be upper middle tier.

Of course, Gouken might just be another much better Sagat as well - stronger, better combos, no bad match-ups. At that point, it becomes more of "since we didn't ban Sagat's cheap ass, should we also not ban Gouken's broken ass?"

If they don't neft Sagat's cheap ass, hopefully they'll at least buff Honda, Guile, and Vega on the consoles though. Those guys definitely need all the help they can get.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Everyone keeps saying gouken looks over powered but never really explaining in what way. I don't understand. What makes Gouken any better than Sagat? Since Sagat is allowed, I would think to be broken a character would have to be significantly better than him.

jonah777

Raging Spaniard said:
Heres a tutorial for how to work with Jubes template. Its pretty easy considering you have Photoshop (sorry Gimp users) Im working with CS4, but as long as your version of Photoshop supports layer groups and has the Free Transform tool (ctrl+t) you should be fine. MAKE SURE youre holding down Shift while you scale stuff down and ALWAYS scale by picking one of the corners (not the sides), that ensures that everything will scale at the same .. well, scale.

Lets say I want to use this image, I have the 300 dpi copy so I know it will scale and print fine

http://ragingspaniard.com/images/frog.jpg

And heres how the template looks like when I open up Photoshop, all the art goes where Jube instructed, underneath the "art goes below" layer.

(Ack, forgot to resize the images, sorry!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/XavierGarcia/Own things/Template_tut1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/XavierGarcia/Own things/Template_tut2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/XavierGarcia/Own things/Template_tut3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/XavierGarcia/Own things/Template_tut4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/XavierGarcia/Own things/Template_tut5.jpg

Hope this helps

Thanks for this RS. I guess I had the wrong idea in mind though... I thought the psd file allowed us to simply paste the original TE template onto a layer and had macros/actions resize, rotate and perspectivicate :D it accordingly. Could make life easier if we had something like that everyone could use. I pm'ed Jube3 about this and he's gonna look into making something like that.

Arde5643

slayn said:
Everyone keeps saying gouken looks over powered but never really explaining in what way. I don't understand. What makes Gouken any better than Sagat? Since Sagat is allowed, I would think to be broken a character would have to be significantly better than him.
The simplest thing I can think of is the throw to ultra thing. Since I don't know how hard it is to connect his ultra from his other combos, this means that you cannot get thrown by Gouken once he has an ultra.

This might no be so much of an issue if Gouken doesn't have special moves that makes him dangerous in close range but his counter special seems to be quite powerful - plus he seems to hit as hard as Sagat.
He is fast, has normal health, hits hard, has good specials, and easy to link ultra combos (that does a lot of damage).
Right now all signs point him to being very very cheap.

Of course, at this point this is pretty much useless bantering since we don't know in details the recovery and priority of his special moves and normals.

Arde5643 said:
The simplest thing I can think of is the throw to ultra thing. Since I don't know how hard it is to connect his ultra from his other combos, this means that you cannot get thrown by Gouken once he has an ultra.

This might no be so much of an issue if Gouken doesn't have special moves that makes him dangerous in close range but his counter special seems to be quite powerful - plus he seems to hit as hard as Sagat.
He is fast, has normal health, hits hard, has good specials, and easy to link ultra combos (that does a lot of damage).

Of course, at this point this is pretty much useless bantering since we don't know in details the recovery and priority of his special moves and normals.

In Gouken's defense, there have been plenty of characters in fighting games that have command throws that can be linked into anything. CvS2 Iori comes to mind. A lot of his game is scum gale setups. Cheap doesn't mean broken.

Arde5643

GalacticAE said:
In Gouken's defense, there have been plenty of characters in fighting games that have command throws that can be linked into anything. CvS2 Iori comes to mind. Cheap doesn't mean broken.
I'm just hoping it won't turn to 3S situation and I think that's why some more reactionary experts are already saying that Gouken should be banned.

While it was great seeing some of those high level play vids of Diago and people of his caliber playing Ken, Yun, Chun, and Urien in 3s - it gets depressing knowing that more than half of the cast are not tournament worthy.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Yes, people like to thrown terms around like broken as if they know what they're talking about. It's been confirmed that Gouken can connect into ultra from throw, as well as EX Rush Punch if you FADC it. However the latter is no different than Sagat/Ryu/Ken doing that with their SRKs.

While he may be very powerful, I don't think that he will turn out to be broken: his counter is good but has all the properties of a Focus Attack (i.e. it can't counter Honda's headbutt, but can counter through Ryu's Metsu because you can Focus the first hit of that). His hurricane kick, even the Short variation, has a TON of recovery and you can punish with just about anything.

Just about every character in the game has been proven to be a viable option, even if they're supposed low tiers such as Guile and Claw. There's a reason why Tougeki Damashii's tier list goes from S+ to A... because there aren't any characters that are complete shit. Contrast this with VF5R's tier list in the same issue... that goes from S to C rank. That tells you something about the balance in both games.

Long story short: People are fucking overreacting.

Darkman M

Arde5643 said:
I'm just hoping it won't turn to 3S situation and I think that's why some more reactionary experts are already saying that Gouken should be banned.

While it was great seeing some of those high level play vids of Diago and people of his caliber playing Ken, Yun, Chun, and Urien in 3s - it gets depressing knowing that more than half of the cast are not tournament worthy.

How are all of those characters broken in 3s?

Darkman M

Arde5643 said:
Do you see the rest of the cast regularly in high level tourney plays?

So basically you're saying high tier characters are broken? Of course in tournaments people are gonna play with the highest tier characters for the most part in mostly ever game.

LakeEarth

Arde5643 said:
Do you see the rest of the cast regularly in high level tourney plays?
I've seen Hugo's kick ass before. Yes they lose more than Chun/Yun, but they aren't useless. There isn't a fighter out there where there aren't 3-5 characters that are just better than the rest.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Learn to use a new fucking character already, shotoscrub!

The only good kind of Ken.

Go C.Viper! :lol
Didn't expect you to post in here.
Hey, are you going to Raging Storm in EP? Looks like it's gonna be hype.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Tier lists and "broken characters" dont really even apply to 99% of the people in this thread. :p

and yah wtf did they do to Seth??? :O

used to be such a beast.. oh well..

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Arde5643 said:

all of that sounds just like sagat to me. Except replace 'cannot be thrown' with 'cannot jump at' when referring to how easy it looks to be able to do an ultra combo.

In fact, I don't think I've watched a high level sagat match where the sagat didn't connect the ultra. Being able to confidently hit with your ultra seems to be the current dividing line between who is high tier, and is certainly not unique to gouken.

Darkman M

haunts said:
Tier lists and "broken characters" dont really even apply to 99% of the people in this thread. :p

and yah wtf did they do to Seth??? :O

used to be such a beast.. oh well..

Yeah his video against sakura was a little shocking:lol

He's not saying that the high tier 3s characters are broken (or else they would be banned), but that there is a large enough gap between them and other characters to the point where it becomes more necessary to use those characters in the highest level tournaments.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Wow, combofiend beats justin wong in SFIV first to seven at Sinsation (EC tournament) and Gootecks takes the singles.. Justin 3rd place?

SFIV is so interesting. :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Moving on...this next week is going to be very rough. Those El Fuerte videos don't help either. I just want to jump in and start learning that dude. :lol I'm definitely glad I took that day off.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
WC has a real advantage becuase so many people play and actually want to get good. I heard thats not the case at CTF and its just a handful of players who want to get good. is this true?

Once this is out of console I know hella new face will show up in results. Ricky, John Choi and a bunch of other top players havent even started playing the game yet.. so exciting..

This is really the first game where ive been on it since the day it dropped.. wasnt the case even with SFIII for me..

jonah777

Here's a Gouki/Akuma I hope to print out for my TE:

xb0nqw.jpg

and um... my fotochop skills were put to test here:

9gv9g9.jpg

2ileznp.jpg

not the greatest alignment... but you get the idea. If I can find a way to paint the bezels, I'll choose between one of these two.

TxdoHawk

Man, I love the fact that English Boxer's VA screams "Mah fight moneeeeeyyyyyyy!" when he's KOed. Cracks me up every time I see it in a video. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Arde5643 said:
Man, Seth's probably going to be low tier - low health, low damage, slow speed. Direct opposite of Gouken. :lol

I have to say though...his kick special move is freakin' awesome looking. :lol

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
haunts said:
Wow, combofiend beats justin wong in SFIV first to seven at Sinsation (EC tournament) and Gootecks takes the singles.. Justin 3rd place?

When and where are the vids going up? Nobody has posted yet in that thread. I need to see the matches!

MirageDwarf said:
Thanks for quick tutorial. I still have one question. How do I get printout of actual cover art that fits on the stick? I mean, should I just print out particular layer after rotation/scaling is done or should I export that layer to another image and print out that image?

Ditto

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
y2dvd said:
That looks hawt! How do I go about printing this now?

We need to clear the confusion, a little bit

The template that Jube provided is fantastic for one thing, to PREVIEW how the stick will look once you print the sticker and apply it to your Arcade Stick. That is to say, its window shopping, like looking how something from Ikea looks when assembled.

What you need, is something like this:

xb0nqw.jpg

Thats what you take to Kinkos to get printed onto a sticker that's high quality (of course the image itself needs to be high res, if you print the one in this post straight up, itll be a blurry mess since its too small), the template is exact so if you print that to the specified size and then cut out the specified area (in this case, the white) so that the buttons, stick etc can fit trough the holes.

Sallokin

jonah777 said:
Here's a Gouki/Akuma I hope to print out for my TE:

xb0nqw.jpg

and um... my fotochop skills were put to test here:

Awesome looking. Has anyone made a template like this for the standard edition stick?

purg3

slept with Malkin
jonah777 said:
not the greatest alignment... but you get the idea. If I can find a way to paint the bezels, I'll choose between one of these two.

The bezels are detachable once you take the stick apart. If you are going to paint them, I would probably recommend plasticoat paint. It can usually be found at automotive stores like pepboys. It works great on plastic materials since it bonds, I've had a lot of success using it on other plastic materials such as controllers and the original xbox system. Only problem is that colors are limited.

jonah777

MirageDwarf said:
Thanks for quick tutorial. I still have one question. How do I get printout of actual cover art that fits on the stick? I mean, should I just print out particular layer after rotation/scaling is done or should I export that layer to another image and print out that image?

The mock-up is just to get an idea of how your stick will look w/ your art... you should use the official template to create your design. You'll need to either find a 300 dpi image on the net, scan one at 300 dpi (preferable) or upscale an image in Photoshop to 300 dpi and w/ bicubic resampling. Once its at this dpi, you can resize it the way you want.

Edit: beaten. :D thanks again, RS

jonah777

purg3 said:
The bezels are detachable once you take the stick apart. If you are going to paint them, I would probably recommend plasticoat paint. It can usually be found at automotive stores like pepboys. It works great on plastic materials since it bonds, I've had a lot of success using it on other plastic materials such as controllers and the original xbox system. Only problem is that colors are limited.

Thanks man... I was ready to start looking for people to do it for me, but maybe I'll look into doing it myself.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
haunts said:

Damn only if A Rival, Crackfiend or Magnus1234 was there, I wonder what they would have placed. I want videos!

And I agree with Haunts, Tier lists and "broken characters" dont really even apply to 99% of the people in this thread. :p

I mean really, how many of you plan to compete competitively offline and hit up the major tournys?

Arde5643 said:
For anyone still doubting or being confused whether or not they should main or fear Fuerte, please click the link to view Tetsuu (aka. GOD of Fuerte):

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm5184743

There are two matches with Tetsu here, first with Sagat, second with Boxer - I believe these are the last 2 matches he had for winning the tourney with Fuerte.

PS: Be sure to turn the sound up for the last match with Boxer - at least until you can hear the BGM. It's really, really, really effin' hype. :D

they wrote "finest ko" when EF finished with the ultra :lol

Raging Spaniard

n3ss said:
Damn only if A Rival, Crackfiend or Magnus1234 was there, I wonder what they would have placed. I want videos!

And I agree with Haunts, Tier lists and "broken characters" dont really even apply to 99% of the people in this thread. :p

I mean really, how many of you plan to compete competitively offline and hit up the major tournys?

I sure as fuck dont, youre as good as the competition and in my case its the people at work :D I know theres Online and all, but seeing how laggy HD remix is for me, I dont trust it a whole lot (unless Im playing with friends online, Im the kind of guy that thinks playing against people you dont know online isnt much different than playing the cpu)

purg3

slept with Malkin
jonah777 said:
Thanks man... I was ready to start looking for people to do it for me, but maybe I'll look into doing it myself.

It's not hard at all to get a good clean finish. just have to take your time, use thin coats, and be patient. as long as you do that, it will come out good.

Top Bottom