• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
It depends on the circumstances. To a SF vet, there are things about Gouken and Seth that scream broken, and you have to remember the SRK mentality that pervades these things.

If they aren't broke, it is easier to legalize them, then it is to ban them.

HDR Akuma was discovered to be broke in 2 weeks, though it took longer for others to start believing, and even longer for the garbage to become accessible to mediocre players.
I gave up on ranked cause 70% of my matches were vs Akumas.

Also, you have to understand the position of FR. Their tourney is two weeks after the game is out. They don't want to have a laughable tourney with 80 Seths and 80 Goukens due to garbage.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
A two week Gouken and Seth will get owned by a 6 - 7 month Ryu/Sagat/rest of the cast. The ban doesn't make sense, and I doubt Evo will ever ban those two characters. To me there is nothing 100% broken about either character, and IMO the organizers at Final Round are just banning them because it's plausible that not all players will have ever faced them before.

Edit for more info, taken from SRK

shinblanka said:
It would be unfair to anyone if I waited until 1 week before FR12 and surprized everyone with the ban that I planned to do in the 1st place. I would rather give you the option to choose if you are willing to attend a tournament with those rule's or sit this one out. I'm not trying to set the sf4 console tournament rules standard for the whole community with this ban, but some people are taking it to that level. I don't believe a Major Tournament should be the testing grounds for characters I believe to be Gill-ish. Not within 3 weeks of the console release!

gee... kinda reminds me of... oh, astral's posts! :p

If I believe those characters maybe on the Gill side of broken BS then I reserve the right to ban them 1st and test them out 2nd to prove they aren't gamebreaking. I was only going to ban seth at 1st, but someone pointed out several people saying that at CES tournament that they thought gouken was worst than seth. I was also told it wasn't fair to ban seth and not ban gouken since they both are in question in being broken or not. I agreed with them and added gouken just to be fair. I wish the game would have been out on console atleast 2 months before FR12, but it won't be.

There will be 2 1/2 weeks worth of testing that will need to be done before I can make the final verdict on seth and gouken. This issue is pretty much dead to me until that time comes. Please take this debate to the proper threads and let's not derail this thread anymore than it already has been. Thank you.

So basically, banned until proven not game-breaking, and if they aren't, unban.

Jube3

Posted this in the arcade stick thread but haven't posted it here yet.

I finished a new version of the TE stick template and I finished the mock up for the SE, the simple version. It doesnt have different buttons or sticks yet.

stick_mocks_fightsticks.jpg

PSD Download for the Standard Edition Simple Mock up file
http://tinyurl.com/dlea5l

PSD Download for the Tournament Edition Final Full Mock up file
http://tinyurl.com/dauss7

PSD download for the simple mock up (no button colors, special tops, or colors just lets you edit the artwork. Easier to understand for new users.)
http://tinyurl.com/cgryp3

arstal said:
The problem with that is, even if a character is clearly broken, the SRK scrub mob kicks in and will start whining "Play to Win" and "bans are for sissies" You gotta ban first to keep those guys from ruining the game. Then things become as bad as the South Park post-election show.

(note: not all on SRK are like this. Enough are though)

You've correctly identified a problem. However, it has nothing to do with Gouken, SF4, or Capcom.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I want this so bad, if for no other reason than that I can finally play 2D games with a decent stick.

The damn Hori thing is an utter piece of junk and it makes me cringe every time I use it now. I blame MarkMan, I was completely happy with it up until MarkMan showed me the light.

Sh0k

SapientWolf said:
Damn you Sh0k for making me want a joystick. What brand is that? Will that template work with the MadCatz sticks as well?

It's a home made joystick, the arcade parts are HAPP that I had left over from an old MAME arcade cabinet I used to have. I got a Mad Catz Retro Arcade Joystick from Gamestop for $9.99, took it apart and used the insides to build the joystick.

Here is how it looks from under the joystick .... not a pretty sight but yesterday I played SFHD Remix for a long time and I can't complain.

dsc01060797.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Gantz said:
what's the best kind of paper stock to print out stick templates?

I use a good quality gloss or semi gloss paper. It depends on how you are printing it really.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Oichi said:
A two week Gouken and Seth will get owned by a 6 - 7 month Ryu/Sagat/rest of the cast. The ban doesn't make sense, and I doubt Evo will ever ban those two characters. To me there is nothing 100% broken about either character, and IMO the organizers at Final Round are just banning them because it's plausible that not all players will have ever faced them before.

Edit for more info, taken from SRK

gee... kinda reminds me of... oh, astral's posts! :p

So basically, banned until proven not game-breaking, and if they aren't, unban.

Well, Shinblanka did fire a pretty strong broadside at the "Play to Win" crowd. I know that wasn't his intention, but he felt SFIV was important enough, and good enough, not to risk having a couple of broken chars ruin it.

Also, wasn't NEC and Damdai's Akuma rampage just two weeks after that game came out? I know it's different situation, but it proves that at least it's plausible that if broken, a two week Gouken/Seth could mess things up.

As for the end result, to me, that's the way things should be, especially with a game as important to the tourney crowd as SF4 is.

Jirotrom

McBradders said:
I want this so bad, if for no other reason than that I can finally play 2D games with a decent stick.

The damn Hori thing is an utter piece of junk and it makes me cringe every time I use it now. I blame MarkMan, I was completely happy with it up until MarkMan showed me the light.
the HORI stick isn't bad by any means.

akachan ningen said:
This isn't my stick but I wish it was...

mod-font-finish.jpg
I need to post a pic of mine:)

Halvie

Banned
McBradders said:

What hori stick do you have?

ShinAmano

GalacticAE said:
Markman posted the template for the TE sticks. So now I'm looking for that site with the hi res SF artwork. Can someone help me out?
I am finishing up something that I think will take care of this...will be done in about an hour...where can I host large files?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ShinAmano said:
Is it free?

He gave you advice. Now it's time to spend the 15 seconds typing them into google and finding out for yourself why he suggested them.

ShinAmano

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Yep. Rapidshare has restrictions though if you are not a paid member where only a limited amount can download. I would try the other first.
Cool I will have it up in a few. I think people will have a good time with it.

ShinAmano

I took the template MarkMan put up and stuffed it with some great character art. I put Tatsunoko vs Capcom, SF3 Third Strike, Guilty Gear Accent Core and a ton of random SNK and Capcom art into it. I could not find any Darkstalkers or Tekken Art to add...nor did I add any SF4 art simply for the fact that it is all available easily and has already been done in the thread.

Take a look, have fun and come up with some great designs so everyone can download some great replacement art.

Here is the link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FHIH1WON

Enjoy!

y2dvd

GalacticAE said:
Cool. Off topic question:
I want this drawing on my stick
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/kandoken/ken-ukyaku.jpg
But it's too small when I apply it to the TE template. Is there some way to enlarge it and preserve the quality? I've asked the artist for a high-res version or the original .psd file. But just in case he doesn't have them, I'd like to know if it's possible.

Who is this art by? I never seen this pic before.

Can someone make a template of this pic?

wallup1.jpg

It's for the regular fight stick. Also can yall reverse the image so Ken is on the left side and the logo is above the button on the top right?

Ronabo

^^ I like that one. It's tasteful.

Could someone please make a printable template for me with this art?

I don't have the software or know how to do so.

Thanks.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Wait, I thought it's hard to swap the FightStick art? Isnt it just the TE that has it easily swappable?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I havent really played Seth latley but there was a build I played a while back where he was out of control..

My thoughts are that it isnt tottaly unreasonable to ban boss characters until people have had enough time to really get a feel for who is overpowered or not.

I do wonder if people will be using any of the new characters in tournament play anyway. Most of us have only been playing the original arcade roster competitively at this point.

There's a lot of conjecture going on in this thread, Haunts...

When the topic of Akuma was brought up, it was after the game was released...as the tweaks Sirlin did didn't really nerf him enough. Damdai proved otherwise (especially when he played Sirlin and

But I think people are sort of jumping to conclusions early.

dexterslu

So, should I be attempting to snag a copy of the game at my local best buy on tuesday? or is it very unlikely it won't actually be available until the following week?

dexterslu said:
So, should I be attempting to snag a copy of the game at my local best buy on tuesday? or is it very unlikely it won't actually be available until the following week?

Wtf? Yes because Best Buy is ruthless for releasing games a whole 7 days early?

What a weird question.

Anyways -
No one really knows for sure if Capcom rebalanced the console versions do we? We have no clue if El Fuerte or Claw has been buffed a bit etc ? Or Sagat toned? Ugh I hope they did do something and looked at the arcade issues.

y2dvd said:
Who is this art by? I never seen this pic before.
It's a drawing by Kandoken on SRK. He's not a professional artist but he makes some awesome stuff. He has a few threads in the fan art forum.

ashism

Looking around SRK I found the PERFECT template for me.

by zero2000 on SRK

Based off the SFIV vewlix panel. Pretty perfect looking, I can't find a source pic.

Teknoman

C.Redfield said:

Maybe im just new to this, but how would you turn something like that, into something easily printable on glossy paper to replace cover art? Also im sure you need photoshop/the gimp to make a decent template....right?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
ashism said:
Looking around SRK I found the PERFECT template for me.

by zero2000 on SRK

Based off the SFIV vewlix panel. Pretty perfect looking, I can't find a source pic.
oooh, that looks really great. I'd prefer it with some more color though.

MoxManiac

Can someone elaborate why Seth is broken? Now, I haven't played the game yet, so i'm obviously no authority on it. But from what i've seen from videos and impressions, he does pitiful damage, and dies in like 5 hits. His sonic boom does not have guile-like recovery, and his ultra his blockable on the ground and does pathetic damage. etc etc

Skilletor

MoxManiac said:
Can someone elaborate why Seth is broken? Now, I haven't played the game yet, so i'm obviously no authority on it. But from what i've seen from videos and impressions, he does pitiful damage, and dies in like 5 hits. His sonic boom does not have guile-like recovery, and his ultra his blockable on the ground and does pathetic damage. etc etc

I thought his boom had the same recovery as guile's and it's a motion, not a charge?

There are a lot of things about Seth that sound broken on paper, but I'm willing to wait until people actually play him until passing that judgment.

MoxManiac

Skilletor said:
I thought his boom had the same recovery as guile's and it's a motion, not a charge?

There are a lot of things about Seth that sound broken on paper, but I'm willing to wait until people actually play him until passing that judgment.

Boss Seth maybe. But impressions people gave from the latest(?) build said otherwise. That's why i'm asking people here for details that have actually played as him in the console builds, to clairify.

Top Bottom