• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

haunts

Bacon of Hope
n3ss said:
Damn only if A Rival, Crackfiend or Magnus1234 OR HAUNTSSSS was there, I wonder what they would have placed. I want videos!

And I agree with Haunts, Tier lists and "broken characters" dont really even apply to 99% of the people in this thread. :p

I mean really, how many of you plan to compete competitively offline and hit up the major tournys?

fixed!!!!!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
n3ss said:
hahaha, very true. That Haunts be getting much better! You, rival and mangus are gonna have to help me level up my ryu!

DAT HAUNTS..

magus should stick to blanka.. actually i think he should pick c.viper.. i think he would be really good with her he just hasent given her the time an dedication..

Caj814

Raging Spaniard said:
Im the kind of guy that thinks playing against people you dont know online isnt much different than playing the cpu)

It definitely helps a lot more than playing against a CPU that can read your inputs at will :lol.Online against randoms definitely helps improve your game outside of real competition since it helps filter out any typical bad habits you may have and get a good variety of common fighters(the 1000s of Ryus and Kens who all play differently in one way or another).That is. . .if the lag isn't horribly bad up to the point where it looks like a slideshow.

Arde5643

Bob White said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ku2k9_64r0

Just a Ken vs Viper match I randomly found searching youtube. It's from early Jan but holy shit what a good match.
There are some very impressive C. Viper players right now : Kaqn, Kensou, FZ, and a couple more people I think.

Youtube matches of them have been pretty good with some obvious different styles between how they approach the matches.

Good stuff. :D

n3ss

aka acr0nym
haunts said:
DAT HAUNTS..

magus should stick to blanka.. actually i think he should pick c.viper.. i think he would be really good with her he just hasent given her the time an dedication..

who would you recommend i roll with? :D

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Caj814 said:
It definitely helps a lot more than playing against a CPU that can read your inputs at will :lol.Online against randoms definitely helps improve your game outside of real competition since it helps filter out any typical bad habits you may have and get a good variety of common fighters(the 1000s of Ryus and Kens who all play differently in one way or another).That is. . .if the lag isn't horribly bad up to the point where it looks like a slideshow.

Thats true, I guess I'm just talking more about the human element of having somebody next to you to talk shit to ... that and the CPU doesnt use anti airs nearly as much as human players :lol :lol

Im looking forward to playing with GAF peeps once the game is out, its just the playing with strangers part that doesnt cut it for me ... yet

In HDR the lag has made me lose plenty of matches just by being there, for example against a Claw player I might as well just forfeit, the guy fucking teleports. Other times its not as bad, but on a game decided by so many small margins of error, it really adds up.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I always found Chun-Li to be another good all around character, are all her moves charge moves again or does she retain some of her 3s moves?

Guled

I hope that Cammy is better in SF4 then in SF2, haunts you have been playing the game right? Can you comment about the new characters or are you under a NDA

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I cant really comment on new characters but ill say there is more than meets the eye with cammy.. just found out today. i was like O_O

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Raging Spaniard said:
I always found Chun-Li to be another good all around character, are all her moves charge moves again or does she retain some of her 3s moves?

She has the quarter circle back kick flip kick that goes over fireballs.. Wasnt that just a 3s move?

Guled

haunts said:
I cant really comment on new characters but ill say there is more than meets the eye with cammy.. just found out today. i was like O_O
nice :D , also about the mycheats guide, will all the guide for all the characters go up on the 17th or will it be rolled out over time?

Arde5643

Raging Spaniard said:
From the matches I've seen and from the impressions I read from SRK players, Chun Li is definitely a solid good all-around character.

She has a slight disadvantage against Gief and Sagat, but against anyone else, she's either even or has a slight advantage.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Guled said:
nice :D , also about the mycheats guide, will all the guide for all the characters go up on the 17th or will it be rolled out over time?

All characters will be up by the 17th. You guys have no idea what we are doing.. i cant wait to show it off.. :D

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Got a question:

Will the Mad Catz fighting arcade sticks (specifically the premium one) be available in Australia? Mad Catz products are sold here but I haven't seen any concrete info on whether the sticks will make it down here.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

N30RYU said:
Is there any comparative for the PS3 and 360 version? Is there any significative difference?

ugh, no. They're really keeping their traps shut about the online modes, which is the only area likely to have- wait, did you say "significative?"

haunts

Bacon of Hope
eventhubs said:
• Crouching Medium Kick of Death •
Chun's Crouching Medium Kick is back, and still very good. You can use this move to cancel into her Fireball, Super and Lightning Legs.

:lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Oichi said:
Yes, people like to thrown terms around like broken as if they know what they're talking about. It's been confirmed that Gouken can connect into ultra from throw, as well as EX Rush Punch if you FADC it. However the latter is no different than Sagat/Ryu/Ken doing that with their SRKs.

While he may be very powerful, I don't think that he will turn out to be broken: his counter is good but has all the properties of a Focus Attack (i.e. it can't counter Honda's headbutt, but can counter through Ryu's Metsu because you can Focus the first hit of that). His hurricane kick, even the Short variation, has a TON of recovery and you can punish with just about anything.

Just about every character in the game has been proven to be a viable option, even if they're supposed low tiers such as Guile and Claw. There's a reason why Tougeki Damashii's tier list goes from S+ to A... because there aren't any characters that are complete shit. Contrast this with VF5R's tier list in the same issue... that goes from S to C rank. That tells you something about the balance in both games.

Long story short: People are fucking overreacting.

While haunts is right about tiers not applying to most of GAF. I'd say this thread may be somewhat of an exception.

In my case, I wish I could enter tournies, but I work weekend nights so it's real tough to hit anything besides local punters, but we have some good punters, and online, where I get to play top folks- and yeah I lose more then I win, but I don't get embarassed that often.

However, comparing tier lists between games doesn't work.

The thing that worries me most about Gouken isn't his combos right now, but his fireball. Seriously.

I do hope Gouken and Seth are balanced- well, at least Gouken. I just think the FGC should be cautious about legalizing them until it's sure that they are, because it's easier to reverse a ban then implement one.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Does anyone know of a reliable Playstation 2 -> Xbox 360 adapter? I've got a sweet custom made stick that I'd love to use in SFIV.

Clipper

Witchfinder General said:
Got a question:

Will the Mad Catz fighting arcade sticks (specifically the premium one) be available in Australia? Mad Catz products are sold here but I haven't seen any concrete info on whether the sticks will make it down here.

Sorry if this has been asked before.
It seems the only places to pick these up will be import stores for us poor Aussies. I ordered a standard FightStick from CD Wow. Fortunately for me it was $10AU cheaper a week ago.

We'll probably get official distributions of them eventually, but it probably won't be for a while.

Guled

haunts said:
i wonder if we can get to 100 pages before the game comes out
I sure it will, it will grow a ton when reviews and online info come in. Plus it comes out in Japan this week right, that will also make the thread grow fast. It took one week to reach 50, and there is still a little bit more then a week to go

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, I simply can not decide who I want to focus on first. So many characters I'd like to learn...

PhatSaqs

Banned
haunts said:
WC has a real advantage becuase so many people play and actually want to get good. I heard thats not the case at CTF and its just a handful of players who want to get good. is this true?
Nothing new. Been that way forever on every SF outside of maybe MvC but does that even count? :p

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Guled said:
I sure it will, it will grow a ton when reviews and online info come in. Plus it comes out in Japan this week right, that will also make the thread grow fast. It took one week to reach 50, and there is still a little bit more then a week to go
This thread is going to go nuts if the game gets shipped early to the US next week.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
arstal said:
However, comparing tier lists between games doesn't work.

No, it works perfectly with the explanation I gave. Looking at how the ranks are distributed among the various games not only tells you the difference in power between characters in those games, but it also tells you their viability.

The fact that SFIV's rankings are considered from S to B is a damn good thing. At worst characters like Claw and Guile are considered average. Compare this with KOF98, which has a tier list from A to F, and is from the SAME ISSUE that the SFIV tier list is in. This tells you that there is more variation in KOF (6 tiers compared to SF4's 4), and that the bottom tier characters in KOF98 are considered not viable characters in a tournament -- they're F ranked for a reason -- compared to SF4's bottom tier.

Raging Spaniard

The Japanese release was moved back to the 17th right? In any case Im sure there will be some leaked copies next week, it keeps happening with highly expected releases.

SO MUCH HYPE

Caj814

Kintaro said:
Man, I simply can not decide who I want to focus on first. So many characters I'd like to learn...

I'm gonna cycle through all the new characters first in story mode first,the one I have the most fun with I'll probably learn first.I just got a good feeling I'll probably play as Viper and Furete the most.

Kintaro

Raging Spaniard said:
The Japanese release was moved back to the 17th right? In any case Im sure there will be some leaked copies next week, it keeps happening with highly expected releases.

SO MUCH HYPE

HYPE!

21j90xu.gif

Kintaro

Caj814 said:
I'm gonna cycle through all the new characters first in story mode first,the one I have the most fun with I'll probably learn first.I just got a good feeling I'll probably play as Viper and Furete the most.

Yeah, I'll have two versions to work through, so I'll settle in nicely I guess.

Top Bottom