• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Caj814

Current stats(360 timer glitch in effect).Took a lot of loses probably due to not sticking to 1 character and 90% of the time I pick Sakura I lose :lol
I also stopped doing rank awhile ago due to the amount of droppers I was consistently getting.
2wpo104.jpg

f0nz0

wha wha, finally broke the 2k mark today with sakura as a main, a couple matchups still give me trouble tho, namely blanka and guile, anybody have any suggestions on how to approach these turtle power turtelers

Killa Sasa said:
Haha I remember that. Recognized your tag.

I didn't face any good Bisons before you, it made me practice against him and now he's a lot less scary. I can answer headstomp and devil's reverse easier now (but it's still a bitch :p).

I gotta test out my Cammy against better players -- stinging scrubs is losing its lustre, a tight fight with Cammy (and winning of course) is the most fun I've had with this game. Guile is fun, but he's so technical, more of a statement than style player.

if you are up later tonight we should fight!
Cammy is a bioch with her punishing hell when she blocks stuff, her Spiral Arrow is that damn fast. I will be adding her to my hate list

Won

MIMIC said:
People turtle with Blanka? for shame!

People turtle with everything! Especially with Blanka lately. Fascinating stuff. At least I win more games against them.

Also overall less disconnects. Only had one today. Dictator player, who kept doing his headstomp on wake-up.....punished him over and over and over.....again fascinating stuff.

ultim8p00

Banned
So now I'm fairly comfortable with Ken, and I see myself making some decent progress with him. I want to try Cammy. Any tips from Cammy users?

Shinjitsu

Banned
MIMIC said:
I'm a charge whore, too :) I might give Balrog a try soon (even though I find endlessly tapping LP so annoying)

ETA: Eh...maybe not. Most of the Balrogs I play are turtles and I have no patience. I like being on the attack.

Boxer is one of my mains, I only tend to turtle when fighting a few chars (primarily Blanka), you can play very agressive with him, just like any charge char just try and charge down back with anything you do. If your jumping in with the basic jumping hard punch crowching hard kick keep on charging down back, gives you lots of options.

Most of my bread and butter combos start from a crouching state with him anyway.

Really not to hard to play an aggressive Boxer imo, just gota remember CHARGE WHENEVER YOU CAN.:D

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
My 360 and PS3 stats (click for bigger images) :X I generally play Player Matches with my friends in Japan on the 360 because all of them are on there, so I tend to pick random characters or my subs to get them up to snuff with my Honda... funny thing is that on the PS3, all of my losses have come from GAF players except for two ranked match losses.:lol

I find turtle shotos to be the most frustrating. Not because they're hard to beat but because the concept of a turtle shoto doesn't make sense. It's like "what the fuck are you doing?!!?! why are you backing up to the other side of the screen all the time!!!??! that doesn't make sense." It hurts my brain. I have a friend who does this.

Also quick noob question here... the icon on/next to the smiley in the waiting room means they have a joystick right? or is that supposed to be a mic?

OmnipotentO said:
I find turtle shotos to be the most frustrating. Not because they're hard to beat but because the concept of a turtle shoto doesn't make sense. It's like "what the fuck are you doing?!!?! why are you backing up to the other side of the screen all the time!!!??! that doesn't make sense." It hurts my brain. I have a friend who does this.

Also quick noob question here... the icon on/next to the smiley in the waiting room means they have a joystick right? or is that supposed to be a mic?

it means they have a mic.

qcf x2

How do you guys have such a high win percentage and number of wins but a low BP? I would think that winning 75% of the time would put you in the 6000+ area.

As a side, I think I'm gonna retire from ranked once I hit 4000 almost exclusively with Viper (almost there).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I just beat my best friend with Vega. His Ryu and my Chun are usually evenly matched. But tonight I pulled out a improved version of Vega and destroyed him :lol

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
qcf x2 said:
How do you guys have such a high win percentage and number of wins but a low BP? I would think that winning 75% of the time would put you in the 6000+ area.

As a side, I think I'm gonna retire from ranked once I hit 4000 almost exclusively with Viper (almost there).

Those match numbers is for both ranked and player matches combined, that's why. I think I've played only 100 - 150 ranked matches on the 360.

Slayn, Bob White, ProDystopian, GG's everyone!

GalacticAE, seems like we kept catching each other while in matches lol. And for KOF98, I just made sure I always had the black dude that looked like he plays basketball. The other two char would be random haha.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Speak of the she-devil Cammy, i dont get to fight alot of her and i gotta a couple today, i take it Cannon Drill is unpunishable after block eh, jabs maybe?

<sigh> great another "Tiger Knee".

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Are there any high-level Gouken videos floating around anywhere? I'm still not happy with my in-close game and would like to see what attack strings people go with.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
FindMyFarms said:
What are you talking about? Your Akuma's a beast! A jungle child! Straight killer!
uh huh, I'm sure that's why you were telling me to use ryu instead =P

BitchTits

MIMIC said:
People turtle with Blanka? for shame!
Seriously. I don't use Blanka that often but when I do it's very agressive, much like the way I play Balrog.

I had some interesting matches tonight. The highlight of which was winning a match by Viper's short qcb+P electricity move going under ryu's super - I don't know if this was a fluke or it actually goes under fireballs, but it missed me completely!

Don't have too much problem with shotos these days, except for one thing I always get stuck on is when a spammy (usually) Ken who just does nothing but LP dragon punches there seems to be no way in once you've blocked one. I've had them go through Gen's c.LP->hands small combo (usually a set up for into Super). It drives me nuts, I know Ken/Ryu are the main characters, and the dp has always had high priority, but it takes a hell of a lot of the lifebar too.

And another thing I come unstuck on, usually vs the same spammy players, is Ken players who seem to be able to pull off another dp after a whiffed one when you were going to throw them (or something else other than hit them as they fall). I don't know if it's lag or what, but it severely limits my options as what to do to punish other than hit them with my strongest hit on the way down. Don't run into it very often, usually my timing after a wiffed dp is immaculate. :-?

BitchTits said:
Seriously. I don't use Blanka that often but when I do it's very agressive, much like the way I play Balrog.

I had some interesting matches tonight. The highlight of which was winning a match by Viper's short qcb+P electricity move going under ryu's super - I don't know if this was a fluke or it actually goes under fireballs, but it missed me completely!

Don't have too much problem with shotos these days, except for one thing I always get stuck on is when a spammy (usually) Ken who just does nothing but LP dragon punches there seems to be no way in once you've blocked one. I've had them go through Gen's c.LP->hands small combo (usually a set up for into Super). It drives me nuts, I know Ken/Ryu are the main characters, and the dp has always had high priority, but it takes a hell of a lot of the lifebar too.

And another thing I come unstuck on, usually vs the same spammy players, is Ken players who seem to be able to pull off another dp after a whiffed one when you were going to throw them (or something else other than hit them as they fall). I don't know if it's lag or what, but it severely limits my options as what to do to punish other than hit them with my strongest hit on the way down. Don't run into it very often, usually my timing after a wiffed dp is immaculate. :-?

After whiffed dp, if you keep getting hit again, use a lp or lk to hit confirm then combo into a special.

jdub03

Did anyone here know that rufus's Qcf+p spinning move beats blankas none EX rolling attack clean. I just shut down this blanka player using only that move. When he got EX's I just waited until he was dumb enough to use his EX horizontal ball, then continued to rip him to shreds. I also Ex messiah kicked his ultras every time. It felt good. I think he had around 5000 BP.

BitchTits

FindMyFarms said:
After whiffed dp, if you keep getting hit again, use a lp or lk to hit confirm then combo into a special.
Right. I did try this with Gen lp->hands, the animation started, but low punch dp hit it halfway through. After that I just hit them whilst they were coming down from then on, you only catch me with something once or twice. :D

Either the other person had God-like impeccable timing or it's a lag/net issue.

FindMyFarms said:
Slayn, Bob White, ProDystopian, GG's everyone!

GalacticAE, seems like we kept catching each other while in matches lol. And for KOF98, I just made sure I always had the black dude that looked like he plays basketball. The other two char would be random haha.

slayn said:
no it wasn't and you know it :lol

GG's FindMyFarms. slayn, I think I'm in the same boat as you. Add me if you want to play sometime.

TimeKillr

jdub03 said:
Did anyone here know that rufus's Qcf+p spinning move beats blankas none EX rolling attack clean. I just shut down this blanka player using only that move. When he got EX's I just waited until he was dumb enough to use his EX horizontal ball, then continued to rip him to shreds. I also Ex messiah kicked his ultras every time. It felt good. I think he had around 5000 BP.

Not on reaction though. You need to spin at least once for the properties of the Galactic Tornado to kick in.. Believe me, I've tried. You can spam it a lot though and hope for blocks, but a good Blanka player (aka Slayn) won't get caught by that crap.

Cowie

TimeKillr said:
Not on reaction though. You need to spin at least once for the properties of the Galactic Tornado to kick in.. Believe me, I've tried. You can spam it a lot though and hope for blocks, but a good Blanka player (aka Slayn) won't get caught by that crap.

Yeah, I eventually gave up on anticipating balls with it. I'm content to settle for blocking, taking one step forward and doing cr.fp to punish.

jdub03

TimeKillr said:

I guess he was a pretty shitty blanka player. I spammed it and he kept getting hit.

Edit: Can blankas slide and beat the galactic tornado?

jdub03

mh56 said:
damn 2nd time someone sent me a "cheapass" comment...play as bison and just headstomp all day, am i cheapass gaf?

Yes! Shame on you for playing predictably. How do you expect people to beat you playing like that.

Threi

notag
explodet said:
Any suggestions for another character to learn? I'd like to avoid shoto characters for the most part.
Dictator.

Strong normals, fun as all hell to play, great damage output/speed, shoto killing machine, purple magic hands of death, and he really seems to enjoy himself, unlike mr "im so serious no smiling street fighter srs bsnss" Sagat.

mh56 said:
damn 2nd time someone sent me a "cheapass" comment...play as bison and just headstomp all day, am i cheapass gaf?
Did you win?

ravien56

Threi said:
Did you win?
o yea...its just so awesome when i fight shotos and they literally just fuck up and freeze...how the fuck can they let me stomp them? then if they catch on, i just do the punch...i dunno, they literally have no idea what to do when they arent fighting other shotos

dfyb

Banned
if someone lets me abuse a move and they send me a message bitching, i just reply with what they should have done. "block high"

MIMIC

Banned
Playin around in Training Mode as Blanka and I tried to see if he could hop to the OTHER side of his opponent and start his Ultra/Super. He CAN :D

And just to add to the known move of "forward hop > Ultra" you can also throw in a back hop to make "back hop > forward hop > Ultra".

listening to the SF podcast with Bebop and Kai. Pretty interesting discussion about the console characters. It's a bit old...since it was recorded last month. They were talking about Seth and Gouken being banned. I haven't seen any videos of Seth doing 50 percent life...but guess I'll need to search youtube.

http://gootecks.com/

jdub03

Spiderjericho said:
listening to the SF podcast with Bebop and Kai. Pretty interesting discussion about the console characters. It's a bit old...since it was recorded last month. They were talking about Seth and Gouken being banned. I haven't seen any videos of Seth doing 50 percent life...but guess I'll need to search youtube.

http://gootecks.com/

Yeah I was trying to find the japan combo video of seth they were talking about. If anyone finds it, post it here.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Speak of the she-devil Cammy, i dont get to fight alot of her and i gotta a couple today, i take it Cannon Drill is unpunishable after block eh, jabs maybe?

<sigh> great another "Tiger Knee".

nah, you can punish with mp or mk after block (and then cancel into the special of your choice). i love fighting cammies who cannon drill all day...and it's amazing how many people online will get punished and then keep doing the same damn thing

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Just wanted to state that I'm throwing a second tournament that has 16 open slots to newcomers (8 of them are reserved to the best players from the last tournament, including Yeb and Grifter from GAF if they choose to participate again).

If you'd like more info / a link, PM me. Slots are filling up quick as I've e-mailed all 55 or so participants from the last tournament about the limited amount of slots.

Caspel said:
Just wanted to state that I'm throwing a second tournament that has 16 open slots to newcomers (8 of them are reserved to the best players from the last tournament, including Yeb and Grifter from GAF if they choose to participate again).

If you'd like more info / a link, PM me. Slots are filling up quick as I've e-mailed all 55 or so participants from the last tournament about the limited amount of slots.

is that just for xbl? cause I didn't get any email.

GG's to Slayn and gutter. Got worked by both of em. the Akuma vs Cammy matches were awesome Slayn. My Cammy started pretty shaky but got better as the matches went on I think :lol. And I don't know whether to be happy that I beat your Guile with Blanka - that's a mindf*ck right there X(.

Ditto to you gutter, after obliterating me with Shadoloo, Honda and , we had a couple close ones - that Balrog v. Cammy is going to stay with me for a while :lol

I have to link better online - I can do all those offline, but I missed chances for an Ultra after a successful FA (BALLLLLLLLLLLLROG! :( ) and cannon drills* after a connected crouch MK (like i was suprised i hit it or something :lol).

Hopefully tomorrow brings some improvement (and some CSpike->FADC->CSpike dammit!)
I might hop on again late tonight but I don't know... university blows.

*Screw the name spiral arrow...sounds awful. SSF2 speak for the win. Cannon spike is alright, but Front Kick was better.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Sorry I didn't accept your invite haunts, it was right as I was turning off my xbox to leave.

Is there room to dragon punch with Ryu between cammy doing a cannon drill into cannon spike? I can seem to do it in training but not online.

Also in training I can hp dragon punch cammy after a blocked cannon drill, but I can't do it online, maybe because the timing is borked with even a minor amount of lag.

and OH YEAH, today in training I set the opponent akuma to cpu controlled, and if my fireball hit his red 3 hit fireball the moment it left his hands, it would completely cancel. I immediately met an akuma in ranked and expected this to happen and got hit with 2 fireballs that I could have jumped over or blocked if I had expected them to not fully cancel. WTF? Has anyone else seen Akuma's red fireball get cancelled with a normal fireball when playing the cpu in training?

BitchTits said:
Right. I did try this with Gen lp->hands, the animation started, but low punch dp hit it halfway through. After that I just hit them whilst they were coming down from then on, you only catch me with something once or twice. :D

Either the other person had God-like impeccable timing or it's a lag/net issue.

It's probably lag lol. Do you piano your inputs? I think st. lp xx st. lp xx hands is probably safest, inputs being lp (mp hp) xx lp (mp hp) xx hp repeated

Top Bottom