• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Shinjitsu

Banned
blackadde said:
i met someone online today that really wanted to counterpick all my characters ... i would start on abel and he'd follow my cursor around until i picked and then rush to whatever he thought was going to work out for him (eg. geif vs my sim). last set i just let the timer run out on abel and he panicked, grabbed fei long at 00 seconds, and i threw him around like a ragdoll. i gave the thumbs up and quit. select screen fighter is lame.

I just don't understand why this is such a big deal for people. Shouldn't you be able to deal with any char? Find those bad match ups and find a way to win, odds are the guy wasn't amazing if he was trying to do this to you anyway.

I'm not flaming or anything. I just don't understand.

Ploid 3.0

So you guys with the saturn pad, how do you feel about it after having it for a while with SF4? Could you finish all of the trials? Is it at least a bit closer to the arcade stick level of precision than the sixaxis?

Edit: About the turtle boxer. I'm a Blanka player, and I wouldn't care. I'd try to figure him out if it was player matches. I play a Chun that demand me to make the advance often. I use the short roll, and other tricks to bait a attack.

Are you on PSN Shinjitsu? I don't play many boxers, so I really don't know how bad it can be.

Ploid 3.0 said:
So you guys with the saturn pad, how do you feel about it after having it for a while with SF4? Could you finish all of the trials? Is it at least a bit closer to the arcade stick level of precision than the sixaxis?

I still have Gen, Fuerte and Abel's trials left (stopped playing a week and a half ago and have been playing Bionic Commando Rearmed and Legacy of Ys).

The Saturn pad is the best solution for non fighting game enthusiasts. It has a great pad...the six button layout for fighting games...and is comfortable in your hands. My only gripe is some may consider it a bit small for their hands. I was able to complete 98 percent of the trials with the Saturn pad. It works well.

Is it preferable to using an arcade stick like the TE (or SE and HRAP with Sanwa parts), no. If you plan on playing the game in the arcade or tournaments, than buy a joystick. The level of precision is greater. Plus, you use your fingers to hit the buttons, which gives you greater options. No carpel tunnel either.

But the Saturn pad is an excellent alternative.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah, I'm not going to try to get pro level. I just want to be comfortable using other characters than Blanka. I hate doing the qcf over and over again with the sixaxis, and ps2 controllers. Blanka don't require much finesse on the d-pad. I'm liking SF4 though. I wish these sega pads was in a local store. I hate that I have to wait so long to get them.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Man that was awesome. I was playing a Sagat mirror and this dude wiffs his ultra so I taunt him then uppercut as he came down then he disconnected. haha

Ploid 3.0

People must have DCing down to an art form lol.

b6yihh.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
Yep. Balrog is the anti-Blanka. I don't think I'll ever be able to beat a decent Balrog with Blanka.

I haven't faced many Sagats in a while but damn. I never noticed how fuckin powerful ALL of his moves are. Some scub beat me and then I beat a guy who was cleary better than me (everything was just clicking for me at that moment :D...and I say "clearly" because he was FADCing me all over the place). Sagat in the hands of a nub is dangerous.

Alright who thinks they can take me down? I've had a couple blue moons and I'm playing on pad (joystick wakes up the roomies)

PSN : BananaFriends

I'M INDESTRUCTIBLE

Arde5643

MIMIC said:
Yep. Balrog is the anti-Blanka. I don't think I'll ever be able to beat a decent Balrog with Blanka.

I haven't faced many Sagats in a while but damn. I never noticed how fuckin powerful ALL of his moves are. Some scub beat me and then I beat a guy who was cleary better than me (everything was just clicking for me at that moment :D...and I say "clearly" because he was FADCing me all over the place). Sagat in the hands of a nub is dangerous.
Hi Mimic, your Blanka as usual is really troublesome - I think I only got either one or two wins of all the dozen of matches we did.
I really need to buff up my executions with Fuerte since there were a lot of times where i should have punished a blocked ball with an ultra but didn't.

Man oh man, Dan is really so much fun to play - the craziness you can do after his dan kicks are blocked are awesome - total mind fuck.

His kyoruken is also really good - I got Mimic in a round where I just start jab kyoruken'ing him everytime he tries to do a slide or ball or jumps. :lol
Unfortunately, he figured it out soon enough.

With the jab rolling crystal flash in play, Claw's actually not too bad against Blanka - he's still disadvantaged in the match but not as bad as before.

MIMIC

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Hi Mimic, your Blanka as usual is really troublesome - I think I only got either one or two wins of all the dozen of matches we did.
I really need to buff up my executions with Fuerte since there were a lot of times where i should have punished a blocked ball with an ultra but didn't.

Man oh man, Dan is really so much fun to play - the craziness you can do after his dan kicks are blocked are awesome - total mind fuck.

His kyoruken is also really good - I got Mimic in a round where I just start jab kyoruken'ing him everytime he tries to do a slide or ball or jumps. :lol
Unfortunately, he figured it out soon enough.

With the jab rolling crystal flash in play, Claw's actually not too bad against Blanka - he's still disadvantaged in the match but not as bad as before.

Is that an actual move? I thought he was glitching out the first time you did it :lol

And when it comes to your Fuerte, I'm still kinda winging it since I never face him any other time. But after I realized that you favor the walls, I just started coming at you. I still don't know what to do when you try to get me when I wake-up. It's all guesswork on my part.

Arde5643

MIMIC said:
Is that an actual move? I thought he was glitching out the first time you did it :lol

And when it comes to your Fuerte, I'm still kinda winging it since I never face him any other time. But after I realized that you favor the walls, I just started coming at you. I still don't know what to do when you try to get me when I wake-up. It's all guesswork on my part.
It's all a guessing game on wake up with Fuerte pretty much - unfortunately you have better tools as Blanka to deal with it. :lol

MIMIC

Banned
Sinatar said:
I have a feeling that I'm missing something in this game. I haven't been able to beat anything higher then stage 3 on anyones challenge. I enter the moves as listed, but it never works out. I try it super fast. slower and nothing. I don't know what it is, but I wish I could understand what game mechanic I'm not getting here.

If Capcom really wants fighting games back in the mainstream, they need a method of actually teaching people how their game works.

You should try looking up the challenges on YouTube to see how they look when executed (so you can sorta get an idea of the speed of how you should press the buttons). So far I've done all of the Normals & Hards for about 6 or 7 characters and I've used YouTube for all of them.

FindMyFarms said:
Alright who thinks they can take me down? I've had a couple blue moons and I'm playing on pad (joystick wakes up the roomies)

PSN : BananaFriends

I'M INDESTRUCTIBLE
This guy can. I will ignite your soul with the burning flames of a million flowchart kens.

I'm currently at work right now though so the soul destroying will have to wait. Did you get to try out KoF98?

Oichi sez the SF4 blog sez the update's complete and going through the approval process so it can't be that far off.

Ploid 3.0 said:
People must have DCing down to an art form lol.

b6yihh.jpg
I had the most amazing dropper tonight. Was about to win the match with a hooligan roll. Landed the throw and everything! And a split second before the throw animation completed he d/c'd. Impressively fast dropping! I'm kicking myself for not taking a screenshot.

Sinatar said:
I have a feeling that I'm missing something in this game. I haven't been able to beat anything higher then stage 3 on anyones challenge. I enter the moves as listed, but it never works out. I try it super fast. slower and nothing. I don't know what it is, but I wish I could understand what game mechanic I'm not getting here.

If Capcom really wants fighting games back in the mainstream, they need a method of actually teaching people how their game works.
This is probably my biggest issue with the game. Why can't they all be like VF4 Evo's training mode :(

Sorry I missed your invite, MicVlad. My damn remote keeps screwing up and doesn't turn off the 360.

I played this really great Chun-Li tonight. Went like 25 matches, and I did terribly, only winning like 4. I really need to quit playing when I'm exhausted, but it's no excuse cuz this guy was good, and he kept pausing to message me with great tips. It was really nice and I learned a bunch. I'm continually impressed by the community in this game. I really don't run into many rage quitters or poor sports. I still get lots of friendly messages. It's hard to believe I'm playing on Live.

GalacticAE said:
This guy can. I will ignite your soul with the burning flames of a million flowchart kens.

I'm currently at work right now though so the soul destroying will have to wait. Did you get to try out KoF98?

Wtf? why are you at work?

And yeah, I tried kof98. There were like a million people from china playing that game, and every single one of them owned me. I kinda enjoyed that garou game more.

I got a "Fuerte is cheap" message tonight.. Yet he actually beat my Fuerte once out of like 6 times so I'm guessing he beat "cheap"

I replied back with "The worlds smallest violin is playing at your pity party right now"

He replies "What does that have to do with Fuerte being cheap?" so in other words he accepts the diss.. :lol

I just was baffled.

I also played more Gen. Holy shit at his Wall Kick + PPP Super + PPP Ultra. It does 66% dmg on Ryu.

Fucking insane.

I still can't pull it off well in a real game.. Occassionally I will get a cross up cancel hands into super then if they are still alive i can pull off an ultra.. but thats about it.

EDIT: Oh and I hit 2300 games.. (I need a life)

n560865398_2724886_8317131.jpg

in regards to Sagats Kara tiger knee, is it better to use that over the Fierce Kick to cover ground? or should the Kara Knee be used in only specific situations?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
TurtleSnatcher said:
I got a "Fuerte is cheap" message tonight.. Yet he actually beat my Fuerte once out of like 6 times so I'm guessing he beat "cheap"

I replied back with "The worlds smallest violin is playing at your pity party right now"

He replies "What does that have to do with Fuerte being cheap?" so in other words he accepts the diss.. :lol

I just was baffled.

I also played more Gen. Holy shit at his Wall Kick + PPP Super + PPP Ultra. It does 66% dmg on Ryu.

Fucking insane.

I still can't pull it off well in a real game.. Occassionally I will get a cross up cancel hands into super then if they are still alive i can pull off an ultra.. but thats about it.

EDIT: Oh and I hit 2300 games.. (I need a life)

n560865398_2724886_8317131.jpg

Holy crap, 188 hours, 2300 games?? o_O

I think I'm at around 120 hours on both versions combined, so I have no room to talk. :lol

FindMyFarms said:
Wtf? why are you at work?

And yeah, I tried kof98. There were like a million people from china playing that game, and every single one of them owned me. I kinda enjoyed that garou game more.
Because I work graveyard when I have school. Who did you pick? The chinese on GGPO are beasts.
My 98 team: Orochi Yashiro, Ryo, and Heidern/Ralf.

Augemitbutter said:
im at similar hours, but i almost unlocked all trophies and have only a few trials left.
Yea I could give a crap about all that stuff.. I just want to play.

:p

Also.. Good Games Grifter. I'm so impressed I won a game with my Fuerte! And actually took two games to the 5th final matches with Gen and Fuerte again.

GO ME! I'm so proud of myself (haha)

How do you transition from KOF 98 to SF4? I keep on double tapping and expecting to run across the screen. I feel like I have to unlearn KOF before I'll be any good at SF4.

And then KOF 12 will be out and I'll be back to Square 1. :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dreamcastmaster said:
Too good not to improve.:D

ragequit.jpg
:lol

This happens regularly in games against my housemate. someone smashes that button in rage.

I'm getting a lot better now, I just starting figuring out zoning with Ryu. Previously I used to travel with jumps and walking, got a lot of dashes going on now and can punish his guile (fuck you double roundhouse)

Still can't uppercut between the first and second kicks everytime, but I can usually get a focus attack/backdash on reaction.

Have started getting a lot better with landing ryus ultra when an opponent tries a jump in from too far back as well.

What are some other good ways to land ultra for Ryu? I only get it off the crumple stun. In training I've landed it after jab uppercut ONCE. every other time they fall under.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TurtleSnatcher said:
:lol
Awesome.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
prodystopian said:
Sorry about not getting back to you last night. I was just getting ready to eat when I got your invite, and when I came back you were gone.
No problem man.
I cried all night ;_;

qcf x2

TurtleSnatcher said:

I just was baffled.

I mean, he IS kinda cheap. His moves essentially consist of pushing one button, usually random if the opponent isn't knocked down. The trade-off is that he takes massive damage, and there's a reason they made that so. :p

How do you transition from KOF 98 to SF4? I keep on double tapping and expecting to run across the screen.

Pick Dan. :p

Shadow780

diarrhea_pangs said:
How do you transition from KOF 98 to SF4? I keep on double tapping and expecting to run across the screen. I feel like I have to unlearn KOF before I'll be any good at SF4.

And then KOF 12 will be out and I'll be back to Square 1. :lol

It's a different feel definitely, I only played SF on and off and frequents KOF before SFIV, the pace is relatively slower compare to KOF.

Pop On Arrival said:
how do i fight gief as chun li

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6425064

The first fight is chun vs Daigo's Ryu, which is good to watch anyway, but the second match is Chun vs. Gief and shows off some good strats against Gief. Two things I figured out against him last night: j. lk beat Lariat and cr. RH punishes lariat (both need to be timed correctly).

Other than that, just make sure you don't give him the opportunity to grab. Just hit and get out. Try backdashing on wakeup especially if the Gief player isn't crossing you up.

BitchTits

Pop On Arrival said:
how do i fight gief as chun li
j.HP (the two hit one) will beat Lariat, as long as you are at the right angle which isn't difficult - basically high so she hits his head not his arms, this can then be combo'd into loads of things like c.LP->MK->MK->Up/down Kick->Ultra (Ultra will connect the whole thing if it's near the corner).

Psyching them out to jump and letting them land on an EX fireball, EX Spinning Bird kick on wake up - amazing how many times people fall for this with 'Gief when their main strategy is to knock you down then jump in/cross-up and SPD.

Chun-Li is my safety counterpick for 'Gief.

blackadde

Shinjitsu said:
I just don't understand why this is such a big deal for people. Shouldn't you be able to deal with any char? Find those bad match ups and find a way to win, odds are the guy wasn't amazing if he was trying to do this to you anyway.

I'm not flaming or anything. I just don't understand.

i beat him 6-1, but the dhalsim / zangeif matchup is pretty horrible. one knockdown and it's over.

qcf x2 said:
I mean, he IS kinda cheap. His moves essentially consist of pushing one button, usually random if the opponent isn't knocked down. The trade-off is that he takes massive damage, and there's a reason they made that so. :p
uh

He has more then 1 button.. Not to mention he needs fast reaction time to take out people in the air with guac kick or a reversal propeller as they land.

Cowie

Wait, did anyone confirm the upcoming patch would include lobbies? Someone was saying it did, but I honestly don't trust shit I hear in person when there's nobody around to call them out on it. Haven't found anything in a few simple searches online.

CPS2

Cowie said:
Wait, did anyone confirm the upcoming patch would include lobbies? Someone was saying it did, but I honestly don't trust shit I hear in person when there's nobody around to call them out on it. Haven't found anything in a few simple searches online.

There hasn't been any mention of lobbies on the Japanese SF4 blog or Capcom-unity that I've seen. The patch is mostly about the new ranking mode and replays.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
how would a lobby work in a 1 on 1 game? also, an expanded training mode would be PERFECT for this game.

Threi

notag
clawing my way back up to 50% win rate (when i started with 360 pad and Abel i was around 20-25%) im at 46% now.

I WILL GET THERE

rager

Banned
Man this sanwa stick takes some getting use to. I bought the octagonal gate and I still have some problems with LP dragon punches. I miss the ol' SF2 arcade sticks, I could them off with precision.

Won

catfish said:
how would a lobby work in a 1 on 1 game?.

Other people would spectate, laugh how bad the others play and then, after the match is over, one guy from the lobby fights the winner...more laughing...etc.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
prodystopian said:
Wow, I really like his Chun. He isn't too flashy (but ex. Legs > Ultra, and that head stomp > j. lk crossup are NICE), but his pokes, strings and use of FA are solid.

Edit: Haha. It really sounds like the Japanese voice for Seth is saying 'sweet kaboom'.

His footsies are really solid. He pokes really well and I always end up taking damage when I try to play that game with him. He has so many more tools to poke with compared to Sagat.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Won said:
Other people would spectate, laugh how bad the others play and then, after the match is over, one guy from the lobby fights the winner...more laughing...etc.

I strongly believe that if this game is to have any kind of future outside of the hardest of the hardcore this feature needs implimenting ASAP.

Top Bottom