• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

no matter what I do no matter who i try, I always return to E.Honda for my big wins.
My Honda is a 10x better than my Blanka, it must be something mental in my brain I dont know.

here are my character ranks for my playstyle.

win tier
1-E.Honda (main of mains)
2-Bison (Dictator)
3-Balrog (Boxer)
4-Blanka

upper average tier
Vega (Claw), Ken, Ryu, Sagat, Gen, El Fuerte

average avarage tier
Cammy, Chun-Li, Dhalsim, Guile, Gouken

poor but I manage and can play:
Dan, Sakura, Akuma, Zangief, Fei-Long, Rose

poor I suck with and am garbage with:
C.Viper, Seth, Rufus, Abel

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ploid 3.0 said:
It's that close? I thought it was going to be in some far away month like July. Please be soon.
The rumors said March 31. (But there were rumors after all:D )

gutter_trash said:
no matter what I do no matter who i try, I always return to E.Honda for my big wins.
My Honda is a 10x better than my Blanka, it must be something mental in my brain I dont know.

win tier
2-Bison (Dictator)
3-Balrog (Boxer)
4-Blanka

upper average tier
Vega (Claw), Ken, Ryu, Sagat, Gen, El Fuerte

average avarage tier
Cammy, Chun-Li, Dhalsim, Guile, Gouken

poor but I manage and can play:
Dan, Sakura, Akuma, Zangief, Fei-Long, Rose

poor I suck with and am garbage with:
C.Viper, Seth, Rufus, Abel
So you play with all of them ?? @___@

Grifter

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea I could give a crap about all that stuff.. I just want to play.

:p

Also.. Good Games Grifter. I'm so impressed I won a game with my Fuerte! And actually took two games to the 5th final matches with Gen and Fuerte again.

GO ME! I'm so proud of myself (haha)
Those were fun games. You left before I could get into the flow and be acquainted with the lag tho. I wanted to see what I can do against Fuerte's stuff without teleporting (stupid!) and am still pretty lost there.

Grifter said:
Those were fun games. You left before I could get into the flow and be acquainted with the lag tho. I wanted to see what I can do against Fuerte's stuff without teleporting (stupid!) and am still pretty lost there.
Yea I wanted to really work on my Gen before the end of the night. Sorry about that.

Fuerte vs Akuma is a tough match for Fuerte.. Just because of zoning from Akuma.

The Bison match I almost prefer just because his teleport is slow and easy to reverse.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
catfish said:
What are some other good ways to land ultra for Ryu? I only get it off the crumple stun. In training I've landed it after jab uppercut ONCE. every other time they fall under.

to land the ultra you've got to hit them with the jab srk near the top of your jump. then immediately put in the ultra. once you recognize which jab srks will let you do it, the timing is easy. you can also land the ultra off srks that trade with an opponent jumping in, i.e. when both of you take a hit, but again this tends to land when you hit an opponent directly above you rather than above and in front.

ultra after ex hurricane kick in the corner is pretty easy -- i start the motion just after ryu says 'tatsumaki.' ex fireball in the corner lets you land ultra too. and you can land it off jumping mp as an air-to-air, though in this case you'll want to wait on the ground for a beat before you put in the ultra motion

edit: come to think of it, i'm not that great at landing it off srk trades myself, so i might be wrong about the criteria. i tend to just throw it out whenever i get an srk trade, and am sometimes surprised with the results

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
drohne said:
to land the ultra you've got to hit them with the jab srk near the top of your jump. then immediately put in the ultra. once you recognize which jab srks will let you do it, the timing is easy. you can also land the ultra off srks that trade with an opponent jumping in, i.e. when both of you take a hit, but again this tends to land when you hit an opponent directly above you rather than above and in front.

ultra after ex hurricane kick in the corner is pretty easy -- i start the motion just after ryu says 'tatsumaki.' ex fireball in the corner lets you land ultra too. and you can land it off jumping mp as an air-to-air, though in this case you'll want to wait on the ground for a beat before you put in the ultra motion

HOLY SHIT, I'm gonna have to try that. My uhhh "corner trap" is to throw and slow fireball at sweep distance on wakeup and then follow up with an immediate EX fireball when they try to reversal or jump out of the corner. EX hits like 1/3 of the time. If this is true, it's my new win button.

edit: eh, it only works if you're as close to them as possible. Not too useful to me.

edit 2: still works at sweep distance if they're jumping when the EX hits. Still might be useful.

MIMIC

Banned
Going through Dhalsim's Ultra with Blanka's EX ball is hilarious. It's only good to do when your hit is a guaranteed win. After you kill Dhalsim, you'll fall back on it since the fireball is so slow :lol

OK...and Blanka's MK cross-up beats Chun-Li's EX spk

Fersis said:
The rumors said March 31. (But there were rumors after all:D )

So you play with all of them ?? @___@
the lower the bracket on my list, the less I ever played them, especially the last last one.

I seriously have no patience to learn SNK style C.Viper, Rufus and Abel.. like man, not for me as far as new characters are concerned.

Give me Dudley anytime..

I am not pissing against the wind towards players who decided to try them and be good with them, but I find them too unorthodox for my old-fashioned pallet

gutter_trash said:
the lower the bracket on my list, the less I ever played them, especially the last last one.

I seriously have no patience to learn SNK style C.Viper, Rufus and Abel.. like man, not for me as far as new characters are concerned.

Give me Dudley anytime..

I am not pissing against the wind towards players who decided to try them and be good with them, but I find them too unorthodox for my old-fashioned pallet

I really need to start playing with each character at least a little bit. I've noticed a bunch of holes in Chun's game that I only know because I play her.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
gutter_trash said:

Give me Dudley anytime..

I'm the same way. You can add fuerte and gen onto that list. I think they are fun characters to watch/play against, but defintiely not for me.

I am consistently drawn to old school capcom characters: blanka, akuma, honda.

my list would sort of go:

main: Blanka
favs: Akuma, Honda, Guile,
ok: Boxer, Ryu, Ken, Cammy, Gouken, Dan, Sakura,
bad: Dictator, Sagat, Chun, Zangief, Fei Long,
never: Claw, Gen, Feurte, Dhalsim, Rose, Viper, Seth, Rufus, Abel

But I'm currently working on 'retiring' blanka and maining akuma since he's always been my favorite character.

KevinCow

Banned
gutter_trash said:

Give me Dudley anytime..

It's funny, I'm kinda the opposite. As a relative newbie to the series (I've fiddled around with it here and there, but never really got into it), I picked Rufus as the character I'd learn the game with because I found him pretty funny. Now that I actually have some vague idea of what I'm doing in the game, I've gotten so used to how Rufus plays that I'm having a hard time getting a grasp on how to play as anyone else. Especially the charge characters, I just have no damn idea with them.

Speaking of charge characters, what's the deal with them? It seems like they're pretty much inherently worse than quarter circle and dragon punch characters. I mean comparing, say, Ryu to Guile, Ryu can throw out a hadoken or shoryuken almost instantly, whereas Guile needs to charge for a second before he can throw out a sonic boom or flash kick. How is Guile not instantly an inferior character?

slayn

KevinCow said:
It's funny, I'm kinda the opposite. As a relative newbie to the series (I've fiddled around with it here and there, but never really got into it), I picked Rufus as the character I'd learn the game with because I found him pretty funny. Now that I actually have some vague idea of what I'm doing in the game, I've gotten so used to how Rufus plays that I'm having a hard time getting a grasp on how to play as anyone else. Especially the charge characters, I just have no damn idea with them.

Speaking of charge characters, what's the deal with them? It seems like they're pretty much inherently worse than quarter circle and dragon punch characters. I mean comparing, say, Ryu to Guile, Ryu can throw out a hadoken or shoryuken almost instantly, whereas Guile needs to charge for a second before he can throw out a sonic boom or flash kick. How is Guile not instantly an inferior character?
sonic booms are generally way better. For one, the recovery is much less. If you jump a hadoken, you can kick ryu in the face before he can block. Whereas guile could throw out a sonic boom and then counter attack you when you try to jump over it.

Also, weak sonic boom is great because it moves at such a slow speed that you can walk up behind it and attack while it is basically acting as a shield in front of you.

I would say in general, charge moves tend to be outright better than quarter circle counterparts and having to charge bring them down to an equal playing field. This is (one of the many reasons) why a character like Seth (who has quarter circle sonic booms) has such a huge handicap on life. Quarter circle sonic booms are inherently overpowered.

edit:
oh man, I just imagined blanka with a quarter circle up ball. how awesome would that be.

dankir

KevinCow said:

Wrong! You don't know your ABC - ALWAYS BE CHARGING! Seriously hold back or down back when in the middle of an attack, jumping, blocking whatever so you Sonic Boom, Flash kick, wetc etc

Threi

notag
KevinCow said:
The point of using a charge char is to always be holding a charge.

Also it is not just specials that determine the worth of a char, you have to learn to use your normals properly as well.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
KevinCow said:

Its the genius of Street Fighter

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Is Tiger Knee punishable after blocking?

Depends on the strength and how deep it hits. Usually, if it double hits and you block it, you can punish, but you would have to look at the frame data to know for sure.

KevinCow

Banned
dankir said:
Wrong! You don't know your ABC - ALWAYS BE CHARGING! Seriously hold back or down back when in the middle of an attack, jumping, blocking whatever so you Sonic Boom, Flash kick, wetc etc
Right, I know that. But it still seems far more limiting than being able to shoot out a quick hadoken or shoryuken whenever you feel like it. With Ryu, you can jump in, poke a bit with highs and lows, and then follow up with a shoryuken when you find an opening. But with Guile, if you want to jump in, attack, and follow up with a flash kick, you can only do crouching attacks.

I mean I'm sure once you get used to it, you can play pretty well with charge characters. It just seems to me like it's harder to do, more limiting, requires more specific scenarios, and doesn't have any advantages that make it worth the effort.

MIMIC

Banned
KevinCow said:
Right, I know that. But it still seems far more limiting than being able to shoot out a quick hadoken or shoryuken whenever you feel like it. With Ryu, you can jump in, poke a bit with highs and lows, and then follow up with a shoryuken when you find an opening. But with Guile, if you want to jump in, attack, and follow up with a flash kick, you can only do crouching attacks.

I mean I'm sure once you get used to it, you can play pretty well with charge characters. It just seems to me like it's harder to do, more limiting, requires more specific scenarios, and doesn't have any advantages that make it worth the effort.

With charge characters like Guile, when you jump in you're more likely to use your flash kick in a combo.

slayn

KevinCow said:

Yes, having to charge handicaps a move because it can not be executed in as quick of a time frame. But its an intentional handicap used to balance the move/character. If blanka's moves weren't charge moves, he would be broken. He could hit you out of the air every time you jumped with ease, no matter where you jumped from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lato8FmMoIQ
Guile combo video ^ ^

to balance Guile, the reason why his Sonic Boom recovery is the fastest for any projectile.. to balance his requisite to charge it.

if you are good at normal links with Guile, you can be charging during your link combos and have a charge ready into combo confirmation .

when you jump in with a charger character, you emidiatly charge while jumping by pressing downback right after you leave the ground.

SF4 has way more normal moves cancelable into specials than SF2, so characters who did not have many normal cancels prior now have lots more available such as Honda's cl.MK and cr.MK which helps him allot in range and hurt stun

Dave Long

Banned
KevinCow said:
I play Dictator a lot (as noted before in this thread) and every time you jump in, I'll head stomp you. Every time you throw a fireball, I'll head stomp you. Try poking? I'll block a few and then Roundhouse slide to knock you down. With Dictator, I probably won't leave the ground at all, and that just seems to infuriate the Shoto players because they're so used to everyone being a fricking jumping bean.

Watching people who play the Shotos all the time try to figure out how not to get headstomped to death is a heck of a lot of fun. :D

Threi

notag
Dave Long said:
Watching people who play the Shotos all the time try to figure out how not to get headstomped to death is a heck of a lot of fun. :D
It is an endless source of lulz when this happens.

Its like they become completely braindead and i can do whatever i want.

Thought i was gunna headstomp ya? nah i used c.hk.

Thought I was gunna slide? nah i threw ya

Thought I was gunna throw ya? nah i used scissor kick

Thought I was gunna scissor kick ya? Nah i used focus attack

Tried to SRK? Nah i used devil's reverse

Thought I was too early on the slide? NAH I WAS CHARGING EX HEADSTOMP INTO YOUR FACE

oh man how i enjoy using bison

TimeKillr

gutter_trash said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lato8FmMoIQ
Guile combo video ^ ^

to balance Guile, the reason why his Sonic Boom recovery is the fastest for any projectile.. to balance his requisite to charge it.

if you are good at normal links with Guile, you can be charging during your link combos and have a charge ready into combo confirmation .

when you jump in with a charger character, you emidiatly charge while jumping by pressing downback right after you leave the ground.

SF4 has way more normal moves cancelable into specials than SF2, so characters who did not have many normal cancels prior now have lots more available such as Honda's cl.MK and cr.MK which helps him allot in range and hurt stun

Part of what's wrong with Guile: a lot of those combos are awesome, difficult to do, etc. Yet most of them do pitiful damage. A single fully hitting EX Snake Strike with Rufus does more damage that most of these combos. :(

Arde5643

gutter_trash said:

win tier
2-Bison (Dictator)
3-Balrog (Boxer)
4-Blanka
Charge whore!! :lol

slayn

The priority of headstop bugs me more than the damage. I'll see it coming and try and jump kick them or something and end up getting crotch stomped instead.

Dave Long

Banned
Threi said:
start!

uh

have bar?

yes - EX HEADSTOMP!!!1

no - GET BAR

done.
The fun part is when they start blocking the headstomp from "START!" and then you nail them with something else. As soon as you cross them up with something else, they get into a guessing game where you've usually got the upper purple hand.

That's not to say it's easy. A lot of being good with Dictator is seeing the animation frames so you don't get caught doing the wrong thing. It's easy to get thrown if you screw up.

Also really enjoy watching Sagat's high fireballs float harmlessly by while I crouch and then they throw the low one and get headstomped. :)

explodet

So I've been playing ranked online for a while now, an hour a day here and there. I'm pretty casual, as I haven't been FADCing or any of that jazz.

I'm sitting at around 1500+ BP, and I've mained two characters - E.Honda and Vega/Claw. Mostly Vega now. I've been playing arcade and letting the challengers come to me, and for the most part it's been a lot of Kens. I feel kinda bad after beating someone and then seeing they had about 20 BP.

As Vega I can mess around with a lot of shoto characters; late in the round if they hang back and shoot fireballs at me it gives me ample time to fire off my Ultra and they can't do jack about it. A lot of times my normal jump is quick enough to let me hit them without them being able to pull off any anti-air. I've also leaped over a lot of flash kicks and

I've been unable to beat a really good Fei Long character, even though in my mind I've got the reach advantage. And Zangief lariat spam hurts.

I think I faced off against only one GAFer, Raw64Life. He handed my ass to me. :lol

Any suggestions for another character to learn? I'd like to avoid shoto characters for the most part.

toneroni

damnit...been dropping in BP steadily after GDC :lol dropped like 500 down to 3400!
Have to get my shoto game back, work on my chun or find some other crafty character:D

the first time I met Killa Sasa was online on Ranked ever before were were added to each our own friends list..

the funny Bison conversation today reminds me of that, he sent me a msg of something like this:
''you took my BP!! your from gaf, add me''

I saw that Guile title in his name... it was like automatic magnet to go and select Bison

BitchTits

explodet said:
Any suggestions for another character to learn? I'd like to avoid shoto characters for the most part.
If you like Vega, Gen has similar moves in one of his two stances. Mixes the two styles is a lot of fun.

Vdragoon

slayn said:
The priority of headstop bugs me more than the damage. I'll see it coming and try and jump kick them or something and end up getting crotch stomped instead.

bj or sj and do your best priority attack in the air (or air throw if your char has it) and you will get the headstomps. for devil reversal dash back to avoid.

MIMIC

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Charge whore!! :lol

I'm a charge whore, too :) I might give Balrog a try soon (even though I find endlessly tapping LP so annoying)

ETA: Eh...maybe not. Most of the Balrogs I play are turtles and I have no patience. I like being on the attack.

slayn

Vdragoon said:
bj or sj and do your best priority attack in the air (or air throw if your char has it) and you will get the headstomps. for devil reversal dash back to avoid.
in theory, yes, but if you are just a little late in jumping up you still get caught =(

gutter_trash said:
the first time I met Killa Sasa was online on Ranked ever before were were added to each our own friends list..

the funny Bison conversation today reminds me of that, he sent me a msg of something like this:
''you took my BP!! your from gaf, add me''

I saw that Guile title in his name... it was like automatic magnet to go and select Bison

Haha I remember that. Recognized your tag.

I didn't face any good Bisons before you, it made me practice against him and now he's a lot less scary. I can answer headstomp and devil's reverse easier now (but it's still a bitch :p).

I gotta test out my Cammy against better players -- stinging scrubs is losing its lustre, a tight fight with Cammy (and winning of course) is the most fun I've had with this game. Guile is fun, but he's so technical, more of a statement than style player.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Here's my total playtime in SF4 on both 360 and PS3 so far.

3401967969_00a41018e1_b.jpg

Total of 134 hours, 46 minutes and 1,171 out 1,516 total matches won. Highest BP level so far is 3268. I think I have more Cammy usage on 360 and more Chun-Li usage on PS3.

Dr.Hadji

Alright, I need some peoples to play. I'm hovering at around 3000bp yet I don't feel like I'm "good" just that I can beat people (which is mostly because I FADC jump in airs into supers to save my life). I know there are plenty of easy counters to my tactics yet I don't get punished much. So maybe it "so long" to ranked battles and I'll just beg for them here.
PSN:Berg443

Top Bottom