• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

TimeKillr said:
See, with my best character you could never land one.

My Rufus is a bit more gung-ho though, so... :)

I didn't land a RD on Abel? :( We'll have to play again sometime then. But even if I don't land it, you have to admit you started playing WAY more cautious. GG's :p

blackadde said:
hey fmf good games ... are you mashing jab during blockstrings or what? i am so used to eating combos in 3s when do you that that i'm hesitant to try hitting anything during block.

I'm actually linking it for the block string. My timing's not always perfect though, and when you count in online lag, well, there ya go :/ And I don't think you have to worry about anyone hit confirming into a stupid super lol. GG's

GG's also to ploid and killasasa

After today, I gotta say that the GAF Balrog army is pretty strong. We got a lot of good ones.

Rektash

RevenantKioku said:
So, I'm Sakura. I jump and someone jumps into me. What has even the slightest possibility of hitting instead of me getting junked to the face like I do 99% of the time?

Her jumping fierce kick beats quite some other moves and her jumping hurricane kick beats like all normals I ever encountered (especially the EX version). Her jumping light kick beats quite some moves too. Sounds like you are the problem since she HAS decent air to air moves.

blackadde

FindMyFarms said:
I'm actually linking it for the block string. My timing's not always perfect though, and when you count in online lag, well, there ya go :/ And I don't think you have to worry about anyone hit confirming into a stupid super lol. GG's

i mean, mashing jab during MY blockstrings, haha.

blackadde

its cool just curious. i need to start working that in too because i have ten years of DO NOT PUSH BUTTONS DURING BLOCK in my head.

blackadde said:
its cool just curious. i need to start working that in too because i have ten years of DO NOT PUSH BUTTONS DURING BLOCK in my head.

Honestly you shouldn't, I ONLY do it online cuz it abuses lag, but I never do it in my offline sessions.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Rektash said:
Her jumping fierce kick beats quite some other moves and her jumping hurricane kick beats like all normals I ever encountered (especially the EX version). Her jumping light kick beats quite some moves too. Sounds like you are the problem since she HAS decent air to air moves.
Oh, I'm sure I am the problem. I just don't know what to even begin trying since I fail with everything on a regular basis, haha. Thanks for the heads up, though.

By the by, is there any good resource or glossary like thing for SF slang? I'm picking up some but a lot just flies right over my head when I'm reading stuff. (Crossups, kara and there were some others that I forget.)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Wooooo! I finally broke 1000 BP for the first time!

I know that's not really anything, but it's a hell of an accomplishment for me, as I've been working around 500 for a long time now.

Damodar

RevenantKioku said:
By the by, is there any good resource or glossary like thing for SF slang? I'm picking up some but a lot just flies right over my head when I'm reading stuff. (Crossups, kara and there were some others that I forget.)

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/200...minology-acronyms-lexicon-and-glossary-guide/

EDIT: I just looked over the list and I couldn't see Kara on there.

My understanding of a kara move is when you whiff a move on purpose because you gain ground on your opponent during the move. ie Ken's mk causes him to move forwards. It's basically used to extend the possible range of a move. Ie You can kara in to throw range etc

That could be slightly/completely wrong and one of the better players should probably clarify that :p And I don't know if Ken's mk is actually usable for karas. Maybe somebody else should just explain :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox-YSWw5GsE
This video shows the additional range that kara throws have

Shinjitsu

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Wooooo! I finally broke 1000 BP for the first time!

I know that's not really anything, but it's a hell of an accomplishment for me, as I've been working around 500 for a long time now.

You don't have to be a god to enjoy this game. If you feel good about 1000 BP that's awesome. I just like to see people having a good time playing the game and not freaking the fuck out every 5 seconds if they lose:D

I'm so tired of hate messages and DCers I could puke to be honest=(
WTB patch to fix the DCer issues.

RevenantKioku

Shinjitsu said:
You don't have to be a god to enjoy this game. If you feel good about 1000 BP that's awesome. I just like to see people having a good time playing the game and not freaking the fuck out every 5 seconds if they lose:D

I'm so tired of hate messages and DCers I could puke to be honest=(
WTB patch to fix the DCer issues.
If you find fun in getting your ass handed to you over and over, more power to you, but you're insane.
It's not the losing that was getting to me, it's how I lost. It's playing a game and the feeling that you're not even playing. I still get manhandled by shotos spamming the same move over again. Which is bringing me down quickly. There's a difference between "Wow, I lost but that was a good fight" and "Goddammit, I lost and I didn't even feel like I was playing."
Any competitive game requires skill to have fun, that's all there is to it.
Sorry, but I found your post very, very annoying.

Caj814 said:
Sorry the lag was really bad on my end.Felt like my joystick was coated in dried up mud :lol
Anyone else up for some games on live send me a message.
Eh, it happens as I'm in Japan.

Arde5643

EraldoCoil said:
how can you tell if someone is using lag tactics? how can you differentiate what can be done on/offline???
You'll know pretty well the differences - like the timing of the link is off, or you know you blocked but somehow it got through.

Basically input lag - I don't know if it's really lag tactics per se, but you can feel that you cannot do your usual tactics, especially if you're using characters that require pretty good timing and planning, say Viper, Fuerte, or Abel.

FADC tactics become kaput in this type of input lag since most likely you'll be late in inputting it. I'd rather not play a lot of these input lag matches since it tends to breed bad habits in you.

EraldoCoil said:
how can you tell if someone is using lag tactics? how can you differentiate what can be done on/offline???

An example is Vega's ex claw dive crossup. If someone's near a wall, and vega uses that move on them in a laggy game, even if they react to what they see and hold block, by the time the move hits, because of lag, they won't be able to block the attack, even though they're HOLDING block. That happens in the span of like 1 second so yeah.

Stuff like that.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Damodar said:
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/200...minology-acronyms-lexicon-and-glossary-guide/

EDIT: I just looked over the list and I couldn't see Kara on there.

My understanding of a kara move is when you whiff a move on purpose because you gain ground on your opponent during the move. ie Ken's mk causes him to move forwards. It's basically used to extend the possible range of a move. Ie You can kara in to throw range etc
It's actually when you cancel a normal that moves forward into a throw. So with Ken, the f+mk never comes out, but Ken still scoots forward before he throws, effectively extending the throw's range.

Hot damn, I forgot how good FindmyFarms was. Could barely do anything against his Rog, turned my normally Leonardo-like Guile into a regular turtle, taking an ass beating in the corner :lol. Balrog's jabs are deadly.

I don't know how, but I want to get you back for getting me with that super pretty combo where your ultra was scaled back to what must've been like 10% :lol. Haven't had a whooping like that for a while.

Haven't been in this thread in a while...busy w/school and stuff, but got back into SF4 again. Started playing with Rose after getting owned many moons ago by EraldoCoil's Rose. :lol

Rose players, what do you do as an anti-air? What do you do to counter Dhalsim's J. Fierce or Zangief's quick Lariat?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
is it a sagat tactic for new people to just KEEP JUMPING?

I played a sagat and all the guy did was jump left and right left and right. would jump all the way back and throw maybe one fireball and then continue with the jumping. Throwing out maybe a kick or something every now and then. It was weird and I saw it about 6 times.

Finally broke 1000 points last night. It's funny, I'm generally better than my housemate by a small margain with my Ryu and can take down his guile most times, but he gets the lions share of the points online, being that I'm ryu and he's guile, he's trained to beat shotos, where as I'm trained to play against guile..... who nobody EVER picks online.

Fuck gouken btw I hate that shit move where he jumps your fireball and leg sweeps :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
had some good games with az greg and grahf id today -- and a good thrashing courtesy of micvlad's scary dhalsim yesterday

not sure whether guile or ryu is my best character at this point...depending on the matchup it can feel like either one. i actually have more fun with abel, but my improvement is slow with him

Killa Sasa said:
Hot damn, I forgot how good FindmyFarms was. Could barely do anything against his Rog, turned my normally Leonardo-like Guile into a regular turtle, taking an ass beating in the corner :lol. Balrog's jabs are deadly.

I don't know how, but I want to get you back for getting me with that super pretty combo where your ultra was scaled back to what must've been like 10% :lol. Haven't had a whooping like that for a while.

Take your pick :p

I really like the one he does against a***a that takes off around 70% life.

Won

catfish said:
is it a sagat tactic for new people to just KEEP JUMPING?

I played a sagat and all the guy did was jump left and right left and right. would jump all the way back and throw maybe one fireball and then continue with the jumping. Throwing out maybe a kick or something every now and then. It was weird and I saw it about 6 times.

Finally broke 1000 points last night. It's funny, I'm generally better than my housemate by a small margain with my Ryu and can take down his guile most times, but he gets the lions share of the points online, being that I'm ryu and he's guile, he's trained to beat shotos, where as I'm trained to play against guile..... who nobody EVER picks online.

Fuck gouken btw I hate that shit move where he jumps your fireball and leg sweeps :(

Many people only move around through jumping in this game. It is overall pretty effective I guess, which is the reason why they keep doing it.

And Guiles.....consider yourself lucky. I see them all the time and all of them are boring turtles. Haven't seen an aggressive Guile in ages. :(

Won said:
Many people only move around through jumping in this game. It is overall pretty effective I guess, which is the reason why they keep doing it.

And Guiles.....consider yourself lucky. I see them all the time and all of them are boring turtles. Haven't seen an aggressive Guile in ages. :(

Most people online jump because most of them are either new, or back into street fighter after a long hiatus. New people jump around a lot because it just feels more intuitive when moving around compared to just walking.

That being said, jumping around is NOT effective, esp. in sf4 (since you can't air parry or block.) Unless you're doing a meaty (which is also hard to do in sf4), cross up, or 100% sure you'll dodge something, ground walking/dashing is the way to go in this game.

FindMyFarms said:
Take your pick :p

I really like the one he does against a***a that takes off around 70% life.

Every time I see that video I realize how it will take me MONTHS of practice to learn all those links (a lot of which are 1-2 frames). I seriously need a stick. F*** you Madcatz, where's my TE >:|.

Once again, Gilley is amazing. I won't be seeing that Akuma combo for a looooooooooooong time :lol

RevenantKioku

FindMyFarms said:
Most people online jump because most of them are either new, or back into street fighter after a long hiatus. New people jump around a lot because it just feels more intuitive when moving around compared to just walking.

That being said, jumping around is NOT effective, esp. in sf4 (since you can't air parry or block.) Unless you're doing a meaty (which is also hard to do in sf4), cross up, or 100% sure you'll dodge something, ground walking/dashing is the way to go in this game.
Hah, I wish I was jumping on purpose. Hell, trying not to jump, I wanted to walk forward and kick and I did a Sakura Otoshi. I don't even begin to know how that happened. "/ Well, I know how I just can't believe that's what I end up doing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
FindMyFarms said:

It's pretty effective if you have an air throw and the other character insists on jumping around like it's a House of Pain concert. You can also beat them in the air if they're going for a meaty. And then there's Bison's jumping MP->MP->Ultra, which is just ridiculous in terms of risk/reward.

Most people aren't good enough at footsies and zoning to control the ground. You can probably get 2000+ BP with those skills alone nowadays.

Coming up to some milestones again!!!

Almost at 200 hours playtime..

I just surpassed 2500 fights. :D

azawzm.jpg

EDIT:

Threi -

Good games earlier this afternoon. I believe you were using Abel and Bison while I used Fuerte and Gen. I had fun. :)

MIMIC

Banned
See, this is why I don't trash talk. Like always, I set the custom player search for "More Skilled". I fight this guy who is a textbook "I'm just trying to beat Arcade Mode" Zangief. Once he realizes that he isn't fighting the computer, he learns how to block and how to do other stuff, rather than repeatedly mash LP.

We play 3 or 4 matches. What made me mad was that he actually took a round off me :lol I go into "OH NO HE DI'INT" beast mode and obliterate him in the next. Then I send him a message, saying "This isn't survival mode". Then I get a long ass message about how he's trying to get better with Zangief in Player mode and blah blah blah.

Then I felt bad for being mean and pretty much apologized :lol

SapientWolf said:
It's pretty effective if you have an air throw and the other character insists on jumping around like it's a House of Pain concert. You can also beat them in the air if they're going for a meaty. And then there's Bison's jumping MP->MP->Ultra, which is just ridiculous in terms of risk/reward.

Most people aren't good enough at footsies and zoning to control the ground. You can probably get 2000+ BP with those skills alone nowadays.

Well yeah jumping has it's purposes of course, I wasn't saying DON'T jump, just don't jump around a lot, and especially not just to get from point A to point B.

edit: just had to point out that all those anti air setups you mentioned just reinforce the whole don't jump thing

I got PM'd on how my Gen was scrubby..

Which I pretty much agreed with.. yet I was actually playing someone who was good and linking ultras into combos and FADCing well..

I ended up beating his Chun in my only match I used Gen with.. so I guess that makes him "extra" scrubby? :X

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
MIMIC said:
See, this is why I don't trash talk. Like always, I set the custom player search for "More Skilled". I fight this guy who is a textbook "I'm just trying to beat Arcade Mode" Zangief. Once he realizes that he isn't fighting the computer, he learns how to block and how to do other stuff, rather than repeatedly mash LP.

We play 3 or 4 matches. What made me mad was that he actually took a round off me :lol I go into "OH NO HE DI'INT" beast mode and obliterate him in the next. Then I send him a message, saying "This isn't survival mode". Then I get a long ass message about how he's trying to get better with Zangief in Player mode and blah blah blah.

Then I felt bad for being mean and pretty much apologized :lol
I played someone with 0 BP who didn't seem to comprehend the block function. It made me realize how hard it must be to try to learn how to play a fighting game these days. I hear this from everyone but I feel like it still needs to be repeated. Capcom really needs to make a comprehensive training mode for beginners.

Ciel

Beat a 9000 Ken who went by royalkush or something like that. Only got 120BP. what the fuck? I was at like 1900.

Add me for some lowermid level Blanka practice. PSN Seer.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I got PM'd on how my Gen was scrubby..

Which I pretty much agreed with.. yet I was actually playing someone who was good and linking ultras into combos and FADCing well..

I ended up beating his Chun in my only match I used Gen with.. so I guess that makes him "extra" scrubby? :X

Usually if someone online calls you a scrub it's a complement.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
SapientWolf said:
I played someone with 0 BP who didn't seem to comprehend the block function. It made me realize how hard it must be to try to learn how to play a fighting game these days. I hear this from everyone but I feel like it still needs to be repeated. Capcom really needs to make a comprehensive training mode for beginners.

Can't emphasise this enough.

it's really really difficult to get to grips with if you aren't a veteran and these days with lots of powerbars ultras supers cancelling etc....

I beat a guy using only uppercut because he couldn't stop jumping forward the other day, it was like some bizarre trial.

Calling on GAF Balrog Army

How do you deal w/ crossups? I just played a Bison user that was beasting on me and I couldn't stop his j.mk crossup. I did alright when I kept him out of crossup range, but whenever he got in and used his mixup, man it was ugly. Sometimes I could headbutt out of it, but then he'd empty jump and use cr. lp (and anything crouching beats headbutt *sigh*). Tried TAPing, sometimes I'd be able to escape, other times it would go in his direction and he'd continue crossing me up. Using st. mp seems kinda risky, but seems like my only option. What do you guys think?

TimeKillr

FindMyFarms said:
I didn't land a RD on Abel? :( We'll have to play again sometime then. But even if I don't land it, you have to admit you started playing WAY more cautious. GG's :p

Yeah, you didn't land the RD on Abel. :) But yes, I did become way more cautious... We shall play again! (And I'll try to Tornado Throw you out of the RD :) )

Caj814

FindMyFarms said:
Calling on GAF Balrog Army

How do you deal w/ crossups? I just played a Bison user that was beasting on me and I couldn't stop his j.mk crossup. I did alright when I kept him out of crossup range, but whenever he got in and used his mixup, man it was ugly. Sometimes I could headbutt out of it, but then he'd empty jump and use cr. lp (and anything crouching beats headbutt *sigh*). Tried TAPing, sometimes I'd be able to escape, other times it would go in his direction and he'd continue crossing me up. Using st. mp seems kinda risky, but seems like my only option. What do you guys think?

If you anticipate any cross ups with Balrog you either position yourself by backing up by either walking or backdashing and they'll miss and land in front of you or you can focus absorb it and back dash and go into whatever charge move if the situation is right.You can also just learn how to block it properly and once they land go for a throw attempt.Also if he does an empty jump or doesn't follow up on a headstomp thats screaming to throw him too.

After 2 days of extensive play, my left d-pad thumb is fucked. Currently working on mastering Cammy and Chun Li. Hated Chun at first, but then as I began to link together ridiculous combo's the joy began. But any charge Super/Ultra is havoc for thumb skin on the dualshock! Each time I pull one off, know that it is a personal sacrifice of flesh.

But yeah, gonna have to get a saturn pad or stick. Leaning towards saturn pad because I've never really played all that well with a stick.

Game sure seems stingy with unlocking icons. Do I have to do all the bullshit tech trials?

Caj814 said:
If you anticipate any cross ups with Balrog you either position yourself by backing up by either walking or backdashing and they'll miss and land in front of you or you can focus absorb it and back dash and go into whatever charge move if the situation is right.You can also just learn how to block it properly and once they land go for a throw attempt.Also if he does an empty jump or doesn't follow up on a headstomp thats screaming to throw him too.

Are you on PSN?

SecretBonusPoint said:
After 2 days of extensive play, my left d-pad thumb is fucked. Currently working on mastering Cammy and Chun Li. Hated Chun at first, but then as I began to link together ridiculous combo's the joy began. But any charge Super/Ultra is havoc for thumb skin on the dualshock! Each time I pull one off, know that it is a personal sacrifice of flesh.

But yeah, gonna have to get a saturn pad or stick. Leaning towards saturn pad because I've never really played all that well with a stick.

Game sure seems stingy with unlocking icons. Do I have to do all the bullshit tech trials?

I've been exclusively a pad user from the age of 5 til 19. Due to all that pad usage, I have the most ridiculous callous on my thumb lol. Now, it's the pad getting a beat down, not me :)

Teknopathetic said:
Note to self: Cross FindMyFarms up more.

Please don't :(

FindMyFarms said:
I've been exclusively a pad user from the age of 5 til 19. Due to all that pad usage, I have the most ridiculous callous on my thumb lol. Now, it's the pad getting a beat down, not me :)

I think my hands still have nightmares about the Dreamcast D-pad.

Anyone up for some matches? PSN: Vicious-chan

People from Japan or Singapore would be ideal, I guess. Also, I've been really sucking lately online. I don't know if it's because I got so used to playing or offline or I really am regressing in terms of skill.

Top Bottom