• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Ploid 3.0

slayn said:
what is this sf4 chatroom?

Well how do you like it so far? It's like a sf4 lobby. Pair up and fight. We could even have tournaments this way. Just can't spectate, which is the last piece of the puzzle.

yeah...if I could be added to the chat room, I'd appreciate it. krp1976. I have to start playing online...so this would be the best way...instead of dealing with rage quitters.

Sanjay

Good games GalaticAE, I was Shaftydude. This chat room thing is a great way to get into games and messages appear to all which is cool.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TurtleSnatcher said:
Wish the 360 could do a permanent room =[
Post that on the PS3 firmware thread... crazy stuff >_>

MrOctober

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Ploid is my PSN, send a friend invite and I'll give you a invite link to the sf4 room. Oh also if you have BobWhite, or FindMyFarms on your flist just ask them for the link. I don't know the other people's gaf names.

Oh shit I'm gonna add you right now. my PSN is CrossingTheFrame i want in on this GAF action (although you guys will kill me)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Unregistered007 said:
I just bought this game for 40 CDN ... any tips for noobies ?

Check out the character-specific forums at Shoryuken.com to get a big head start on understanding the character you're interested in learning.

Look up some FAQs at SRK and other places, including the Superguide at 1UP.com, to start memorizing the basic game system mechanics.

But here's an important noob tip: DON'T JUMP. Seriously, try to train yourself not to jump randomly (unless that itself is part of a more advanced mind game you're not ready for yet). Concentrate on keeping your cool and advancing on the ground, using various normal moves to poke and pressure the opponent. If nothing else, not jumping forward all the time will help you with all the flowchart (scrub) Kens you'll face online.

The "shoto" characters (Ryu, Ken, etc) are good starting points to learn with because they're well-rounded and have "one of every kind of move". They can be offensive, defensive, and so forth. Other characters can be highly specialized and require far more complex strategies for basic competency.

Started playing Ranked matches tonight as I thought I'd made progress. Shot up to 750 BP quickly and then Ken > Sagat > Sagat > Ken > Ken > Ken resulted in me almost crushing my dualshock into twisted wreckage from pure rage.

Cannot get move cancelling down at all it seems like such an invisible skill that I dont think I'll ever grasp it.

A day off from SF4 tomorrow methinks!

Ploid 3.0

About Gaf SF4 Chat.

Here's how it looks ingame. It covers the right side of the health bar, but I don't mind it. It don't stay up for more than 2 seconds I think. You still have a lot of the bar visible.
73gier.jpg

This is the link to Gaf SF4 chat. As long as you keep it you can join in.
29av09y.jpg

This is the actual chat box. You can access it quickly between rounds even to say something just by hitting the PS button, and x or enter one time then typing. Pop out quickly with one press of the circle button, then the PS button. It only pause the game if you're playing offline. The pause occurs at the first moment you'd be able to press start. So no worries if you're doing a challenge or arcade fight and decide to jump in and say something after you win.

2cr0f2w.jpg

We're thinking about starting a quick KOF team style tournament. If you have anyone in the Gaf SF4 chat on your flist, ask them for a link. You won't have to ask if anyone is interested in a match here anymore.

That PS3-text chat room is pretty sweet.
Maybe the 360 folk can mimic it with an 8-player party?

I use the Friend-of-a-friend system all the time to find player matches... speaking of which.

Just had an epic face off against Saqs.
Epic in my mind anyway.

He beat me 10 matches to 0.
But that's ok, because I felt I earned some respect. I won some rounds, and came VERY close to taking a couple of the matches. Overall though the combination of pressure tactics, mix-ups, and mind-games->throw were too much for me to handle. For now.

Very fun though! And I learned I can at least stand up to some of the top tier players which is cool.

Now the question in my mind is who would win between: Yeb, Saqs and Haunts....

MrOctober

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
About Gaf SF4 Chat.

Here's how it looks ingame. It covers the right side of the health bar, but I don't mind it. It don't stay up for more than 2 seconds I think. You still have a lot of the bar visible.
73gier.jpg

This is the link to Gaf SF4 chat. As long as you keep it you can join in.
29av09y.jpg

This is the actual chat box. You can access it quickly between rounds even to say something just by hitting the PS button, and x or enter one time then typing. Pop out quickly with one press of the circle button, then the PS button. It only pause the game if you're playing offline. The pause occurs at the first moment you'd be able to press start. So no worries if you're doing a challenge or arcade fight and decide to jump in and say something after you win.

2cr0f2w.jpg

We're thinking about starting a quick KOF team style tournament. If you have anyone in the Gaf SF4 chat on your flist, ask them for a link. You won't have to ask if anyone is interested in a match here anymore.

+1 for inflating my ego and having my name in the first screen shot.
And for posting that hilarious comment as the third one.

MIMIC

Banned
:lol Dan killed me on Stage 63 and I got the gold crown. I can't believe that I was just gonna keep going.

So I guess just double the quota?

Ploid 3.0

I'm trying to get the golds on Hard survivals. I went up to 26, didn't get it, I went up to 50 I got it, then just now I went to 30 and didn't get it. I hope I won't have to go to 50 each time to be safe.

Edit:
Maybe you went 13 over the requirement. I asked around on what's the requirement for gold, but no luck. Going to see if I can find it. I don't want to do 50s.

Won

Wasn't gold for trial 5 around 100 wins or something? Can remember someone in this thread posting about his survival experience. :lol

Ploid 3.0

Holy crap the last survival challenge is 100 wins?

So the hard2 could be 60, hard3 70, and so on? Screw that, forget unlocking that shirt. Not worth it. Maybe after I download Listen Up.. no screw it.

Edit: Oh thanks spider. Thank goodness. Maybe that guy didn't know survival had a ending.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Holy crap the last survival challenge is 100 wins?

So the hard2 could be 60, hard3 70, and so on? Screw that, forget unlocking that shirt. Not worth it. Maybe after I download Listen Up.. no screw it.

Edit: Oh thanks spider. Thank goodness. Maybe that guy didn't know survival had a ending.

No...just 40 wins...Look on the leadersboards...there's some people with 100s of wins...spamming with Zangief.

The highest I got was a 100 and something. I didn't care after awhile. If you're going to play with Zangief...be careful when fighting Cammy...use the glove and try to do wakeup shenanigans. And Remember certain characters will automatically do supers...like Gen, Rose, Ryu, Bison, etc. Shamwow, Bison's Ultra, Cammy and Sakura's are bad...so don't spam lariat during those moves.

When they get the revenge meter, just block. They automatically do the moves when waking up.

And hope the next SF doesn't have Survival and Time Attack trials. No one plays SF for that ish. World Tour mode or quest mode like Soul Calibur. Or maybe try the odd challenge system from KOF games...(where they put you in crazy situations or try to teach techniques).

MIMIC

Banned
Yeah...I'm just spamming with Zangief.

Automatic Ultras: Cammy, Fei Long, Gen, M. Bison, Guile, Seth, Akuma
Sometimes uses Ultras: Sakura, Rose, Dan, Gouken, Rufus

Won

sonicspear64 said:
GG's Won. Sorry about being idle in some games. I had things I needed to take care of! :(

Yeah I noticed that you didn't fight back! :p

Can't believe how much I suck with anything that is not called Fuerte. :lol
Really wish the game had seperate BPs for all the characters. The difference between my Fuerte and the rest has grown pretty big. No way I will bring something else into ranked play at this point.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
MoxManiac said:
This new chat feature makes it much easier to find games with gaf members!

Indeed, good games Mox.

If anyone wants a link to the GAF chat, my PSN is Armonix. If you see my online, just message me and I'll shoot an invite.

jdub03

Expect to see me in the next batch of Darksydephils videos. I beat him both rounds. I can't wait to hear the commentary.

Ploid 3.0 said:
73gier.jpg

If it covers up too much bar, you can always move the bar up or down.

Ciel

GAG chat makes this game a lot better. Had fun playing with you guys. Some of all are too fucking good though. I'm gettig a lot better in ranked just from todays sessions.

Is this anybody else favorite street fighter? A little bit ahead of super turbo then third srtoke for me. So awesome that I am in fact postng this smashed at a bar on my phone. One of the most rewarding, deep games. I just wish my irl jock frends would learn this shit.

Ciel said:
GAG chat makes this game a lot better. Had fun playing with you guys. Some of all are too fucking good though. I'm gettig a lot better in ranked just from todays sessions.

Is this anybody else favorite street fighter? A little bit ahead of super turbo then third srtoke for me. So awesome that I am in fact postng this smashed at a bar on my phone. One of the most rewarding, deep games. I just wish my irl jock frends would learn this shit.

Nah, after playing for about 100 hours, I decided I don't like it as much as CVS2 or 3rd strike. Maybe it's just the bullshit that happens online but it's annoying in a lot of ways. I'm still loving it though.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
without using superjump (since i suck at pulling it out)

how do i close in with viper?

im still too slow with hammers to pressure people into coming to me :[

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Ciel said:

I put this behind STHD as my 2nd favorite.

SF4 has potential to be the best, it just needs some tweaking. It's the best first effort of any fighter ever I think though.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
jdub03 said:
Expect to see me in the next batch of Darksydephils videos. I beat him both rounds. I can't wait to hear the commentary.
Just a guess: "I'm blocking, but it hit me anyway! Ha ha ha!"

(He's the only person I've ever heard who actually laughs with literal Ha's)

Ciel said:

This is my favorite with alpha 3 in a close second. Hopefully v-ism makes a return in sf5 :)

Threi

notag
Ciel said:
Is this anybody else favorite street fighter?
too early to tell for me.

But what always runs through my mind is how SFIV compares to the SF series very similarly to SSBB to the SSB series.

I appreciate the "simplified" feel of SFIV because it forces you to actually learn positioning instead of exploiting gimmicks in the game's technical system, much like SSBB.

so yeah for me SFIV = SF Brawl right now.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Ciel said:

Hard to say yet if this is my favorite SF or not, I really loved SF2 as well as SF3.

I miss playing in Arcades to much, the online in this is alright, but the DCers and the overall attitude of online players gets me down some days playing this.

It really doesn't have that feel of "I might have lost but I'm going to find a way to win" but more of a "FUCK YOU CHEEP (some kind of racist term) I LOST BECAUSE YOU DID (some random thing they have seen 100 times but aren't skilled enough to learn how to counter) attitude.

I'm sure it will get better with time, but for now I'm just longing for that arcade feel that I'm just not getting now=/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Shinjitsu said:
Hard to say yet if this is my favorite SF or not, I really loved SF2 as well as SF3.

I miss playing in Arcades to much, the online in this is alright, but the DCers and the overall attitude of online players gets me down some days playing this.

It really doesn't have that feel of "I might have lost but I'm going to find a way to win" but more of a "FUCK YOU CHEEP (some kind of racist term) I LOST BECAUSE YOU DID (some random thing they have seen 100 times but aren't skilled enough to learn how to counter) attitude.

I'm sure it will get better with time, but for now I'm just longing for that arcade feel that I'm just not getting now=/
This must be exclusive to high level play because I've gotten nothing but love from other players. I've only gotten one disconnect, but it was right after I pefected him in round one so I can't really fault him for it. Maybe it's because I tend to play after midnight. I could mostly be playing people who don't live in America.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So... I am having problems with the Sagats these days. A friend of mine has learned to spam Tiger Knee to Tiger Upercut and spam the fireballs like crazy. A few hits and Chun Li is of course out, while it takes to me 3x the effort to beat him. Of course it went 5-5 at the end but damn is it annoying. That fucker can just pull out moves too fast, he's definitely overpowered. His fake hyper punch stuns me after 3 or 4 hits and takes out nearly half my life. It's ridiculous.

On the other hand... I am doing some neat new combos with Chun today. Overall went like 30-15 against my friends =P.

Dreavus

SapientWolf said:
This must be exclusive to high level play because I've gotten nothing but love from other players. I've only gotten one disconnect, but it was right after I pefected him in round one so I can't really fault him for it. Maybe it's because I tend to play after midnight. I could mostly be playing people who don't live in America.

I've had mostly good responses as well. I actually had another player message me complementing my Sakura play when I lost to his Guile in a best of 5 that went right down to the wire. Granted I'm not very high up on the BP scale, sitting at only 1500pts, but there ARE good people out there. :p

Had some awesome matches with Farms today, gave me a lot of pointers on my Cammy. I wasn't applying much pressure at all with her, mostly just touch and go's even though she should be a rush down character. I have to learn her block strings more, and keep the pressure going. Her FA is awesome as well, but after a couple times of dashing out of it he knew I wouldn't throw it out :lol. I tried to adjust, but I kept messing up that cr.lk xx cr lp xx cr lk to spiral arrow. I will work on that some more. At least my Guile is looking a little better, starting to get one of his BnB's down other than j hk xx cr mp xx flash kick.

GG's man, I appreciate help w/e I can get it. btw, I haven't played vietnamazing yet, I don't want to look too scrubby before I face him :lol

Gonna grab a bluetooth keyboard tomorrow from work for that chat room. Typing with a controller is a bitch.

Top Bottom