• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

drohne said:
vega is annoying to fight with guile -- still not sure what to do against his walldives, and i don't see vega often enough to figure it out. with ryu i can just flowchart away

think i'm going to start learning a new character -- leaning towards boxer or rufus. was going to wait until my abel was decent, but that doesn't seem to be happening :(

they're both pretty fun to learn, but not as fun as dhalsim.

akachan ningen said:
yeah, it's been a rough ride but it's fun. I still feel like I'm just using 5% of him.

I watched a couple of top players using him (mainly IYO) and from what I see, after you get all his setups down and what not, you just have to out execute your opponents. I'd see him pull so many last second slides and d PPP to dodge fireballs and get into spot that I think he just never messes up. He also almost ALWAYS wins in pokes (playing against other dhalsims, I'd 90% trade on pokes) which seems hard to do and time correctly. He also never messed up his tk teleport.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see too many mind games that Dhalsim has, but if you're execution is spot on, you're zoning can be almost unstoppable.

Stantron

After going up to ~2300 BP for the first time, I'm back down to ~1600 BP by losing a string of really close matches that I should have won or against other really good opponents that beat me fairly. I need to learn to be a little more patient when I have an opponent at low health. Many times I get too aggressive when I don't really need to, and I end up eating an Ultra that K.O.s me.

Ri'Orius

FindMyFarms said:
I watched a couple of top players using him (mainly IYO) and from what I see, after you get all his setups down and what not, you just have to out execute your opponents. I'd see him pull so many last second slides and d PPP to dodge fireballs and get into spot that I think he just never messes up. He also almost ALWAYS wins in pokes (playing against other dhalsims, I'd 90% trade on pokes) which seems hard to do and time correctly. He also never messed up his tk teleport.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see too many mind games that Dhalsim has, but if you're execution is spot on, you're zoning can be almost unstoppable.

Yeah, from what I understand (been trying to main Dhalsim; still not good enough) with 'Sim you just need to be an untouchable poking machine. I've rarely seen Sims use combo's; certainly none as complex as I've seen among most other characters.

I love that style, and I wish I were better at it, but I'm just not familiar enough with all the various characters to know how to counter them all (when to block mid, when to block low, change-ups always get me, etc.).

Eric WK

nakedsushi said:
Has anyone had a recently approved friend request to the GAF SFIV2 Xbox360 gamertag? I'm not sure where everyone is. I sent a friend request a few days ago, but still pending approval.

I had a request pending approval for about a week before I got sick of seeing it at the top of my friends list and just canceled it.

Ri'Orius said:
Yeah, from what I understand (been trying to main Dhalsim; still not good enough) with 'Sim you just need to be an untouchable poking machine. I've rarely seen Sims use combo's; certainly none as complex as I've seen among most other characters.

I love that style, and I wish I were better at it, but I'm just not familiar enough with all the various characters to know how to counter them all (when to block mid, when to block low, change-ups always get me, etc.).

Yeah, after I picked up the game, I learned a new character (outside of my main) each day. Not mastering them or anything, but just getting their basics down. This way when you face said character with your main, you won't get caught off guard and will know what to expect.

gg's to MrOctober, you're doing good, just keep up the practice, you got a good base and just need to develop your game a bit. :D anytime you wanna play hit me up, ( when you're not tired lol)

edit: GG's to Daimonhoshi (sp) i don't know your screen name on GAF lol

Ahhhh, managed to borrow my friends PS3 while I try to save up for a new one! It's gonna be a bitch unlocking everyone again, but eh, it's something!

MIMIC

Banned
Blanka's EX Ball = turtle nightmare :lol I can't believe I didn't know about using this move until today. I knew about it but I gave up trying to use it because I thought it required KKK. It doesn't; just KK. I kept doing it against a semi-turtle M. Bison. It worked every time.

Crossing your opponent up from across the screen is amazing. I'll have to work this into my "How to Beat Balrog" strategy. :) I almost beat a really good Balrog today....both rounds were very, very close. After he realized that I wasn't going to whiff any rolls, he charged me and got a perfect :lol :(

MIMIC said:
Blanka's EX Ball = turtle nightmare :lol I can't believe I didn't know about using this move until today. I knew about it but I gave up trying to use it because I thought it required KKK. It doesn't; just KK. I kept doing it against a semi-turtle M. Bison. It worked every time.

Crossing your opponent up from across the screen is amazing. I'll have to work this into my "How to Beat Balrog" strategy. :) I almost beat a really good Balrog today....both rounds were very, very close. After he realized that I wasn't going to whiff any rolls, he charged me and got a perfect :lol :(

All ex moves in the game are either PP or KK. Also you gotta be REALLY careful with that ex ball, if the enemy sees it coming(and most of the time they do, you're a bright flashing yellow ball in the sky lol) and does FA -> dash, you're looking at a LOT of pain. It's really good for getting out of the corner though or tite spots.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Any Honda experts (gutter_trash) around? I was playing around with Honda against drohne last night and it seems that alot of his strategy revolves around his FA. It seems to be one of the better FAs due to the distance he gets with it. And FA crumple to ultra seems to be a very easy and effective strategy to use. I like Honda but I can't seem to play him as well as Blanka.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Eric WK said:
I had a request pending approval for about a week before I got sick of seeing it at the top of my friends list and just canceled it.

Maybe someone could start a fresh one? You know, somebody active.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
MIMIC said:

You're talking about ex rainbow ball?
It can be situationally good as long as you don't overuse it.

like findmyfarms said, if they FA it or block it you can be in for a world of hurt. Crossing up with it will work on people who aren't very good for a while, but people do eventually learn.

The other useful trick I like with it is to try and control it in such a way that it looks like I'm going to hit them, but instead I purposefully land right in front of them and immediately throw.

Also, if you use it a lot against balrog he'll just headbutt you out of it. Although in turn if balrog likes to headbutt rainbow rolls, I think you could probably bait one by starting up an ex rainbow roll and then holding back the whole time.

_Xenon_

Banned
Any tips about how to beat a turtle Honda or turtle Bison with Blanka? Most of my points are wasted by these two and I simply can't figure out how to deal with it except rage drop lol.

MIMIC said:

Agreed. EX rainbow ball is too fast to react (especially for turtles) and you can control the distance of it. Normal rainbow ball is only useful if you guess out your opponent is about to jump or against gief's ppp/kkk abuse.

Grifter

jdub03 said:
Yeah I think I got adrenaline rushes everytime i was close to completing a really hard challenge. That SUCCESS sounded so sweat:lol .

GG to grifter tonight. His bison and his akuma were fierce. The Akuma vs seth matches were fun. I'm really getting the hang of these link combos.

ggs! I needed the rufus practice and yours was really tough. so hard to fight him close.

DihcarEM

Wizpig said:
I am now 100% sure this is the best music from the game -- kind of an easy pick though:D

3.12 = EPIC!

It's good but definitely not my favorite. Ryu,Ken,Gouken,Rufus,Guile's theme so far are my favorites.

Spiderjericho said:
Or grab popcorn and watch a movie...(but my doctor says I can't eat popcorn since I got a wisdom tooth pulled).

Ha, just got 4 wisdom teeth removed this friday, good excuse to play all weekend.

Rektash said:
Yep definitly one of the better beat em up songs up its still far away from something like Ground Zero Funk. I didn t like Tekken too much but still, songs like this reign supreme over SF or KOF songs. One thing Tekken 5 did right.
KOF music is in a whole different league. Don't even think about comparing it to SF

Caj814 said:
speaking of trial mode,anyone have tips on finishing Gens final Hard Trial combo?It's the last one I have left out of all characters and I keep missing the last 2 or 3 kicks every time I got to the final move :lol

you just need to practice that move out of a combo. I had way more trouble with trial#3 than 4 and 5. One visual que I notice is after you do the initial and start the next kick, look right above gen and your opponent see the orange/wind indication of a hit. Once the orange disappears hit kick again. I look above the opponent and wait for the black lines to disappear before i press kick again.

here is a reference

does anyone have tips for Rufus last trial? I can never connect the c.mk even though you can clearly see his foot go through dans.

sonicspear64 said:
KOF music is in a whole different league. Don't even think about comparing it to SF

Eh...I thought the soundtrack in EX+A, SF2, ST, A2, 2I and TS were really good.

97 and 2001 to the present (admittedly haven't heard XI and XII) were pretty weak.

I just think IV's soundtrack is weak and soft...Some of the design decisions were odd...the anime cutscenes (they're poor quality and nonsensical), the unlocking for the colors and personal actions, the backgrounds (are not character specific or particularly interesting)...

Still an awesome game...

I'll play KOF XI and listen to the soundtrack...

Just a reminder SF Bar Fights this evening.

The two streams from yesterday were really good with Young Legend beasting in both... A.Rival won the Keystone Light. I want to say Young Legend won the second

Spiderjericho said:
Eh...I thought the soundtrack in EX+A, SF2, ST, A2, 2I and TS were really good.

97 and 2001 to the present (admittedly haven't heard XI and XII) were pretty weak.

I just think IV's soundtrack is weak and soft...Some of the design decisions were odd...the anime cutscenes (they're poor quality and nonsensical), the unlocking for the colors and personal actions, the backgrounds (are not character specific or particularly interesting)...

Still an awesome game...

I'll play KOF XI and listen to the soundtrack...
Nowhere in my statement did I say that SF music was bad. -_-

Thai

Bane was better.
damnit, was playing Ranked last night against an Akuma, and I was sagat. Dude just kept spamming ground + air fireballs, I coudln't even get close. golfham.

Any advice, gaf?

Let it be known from here on out that Turtlesnatcher is a dick!

And to AZ Greg: hope I don't come off like an asshole in those last two games we had a few days ago. First time around I was getting a bit frustrated about the lag (my messages might've given the impression that I was unsporting, but I don't mind losing tbh) and I think I was annoying the next day (with the constant counter-poking, camping on Vega's equipment and whatnot).

MicVlaD said:

And to AZ Greg: hope I don't come off like an asshole in those last two games we had a few days ago. First time around I was getting a bit frustrated about the lag (my messages might've given the impression that I was unsporting, but I don't mind losing tbh) and I think I was annoying the next day (with the constant counter-poking, camping on Vega's equipment and whatnot).
Honestly you are asking me in the worst possible times.. EIther I have a invite from another friend or I'm just starting a ranked match :lol

TurtleSnatcher said:
Honestly you are asking me in the worst possible times.. EIther I have a invite from another friend or I'm just starting a ranked match :lol
And yet after reading the last few pages, YOU APPARENTLY HAVE NO TROUBLE ACCEPTING INVITES FROM SOMEONE ELSE!

>:[

Chorazin

Thai said:
damnit, was playing Ranked last night against an Akuma, and I was sagat. Dude just kept spamming ground + air fireballs, I coudln't even get close. golfham.

Any advice, gaf?

What else? TIGER KNEE! TIGER KNEE! TIGER UPPERCUT! repeat until you win.

Ronabo

I played THIS GUY last night. He had one of the best Chun-Li's and Gen's I'd ever seen anywhere. He was Indestructible. I had a hard time winning a round or two. Anyone looking for a challenge I'd say look him up.

mYm|17|

Ronabo said:
I played THIS GUY last night. He had one of the best Chun-Li's and Gen's I'd ever seen anywhere. He was Indestructible. I had a hard time winning a round or two. Anyone looking for a challenge I'd say look him up.

I played that Ikaruga guy last night. He played Chun against me.

I kept beating him one round and he would eventually go on to win the matches, but they were good games. Her damn cross-up kept getting me.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
really improving a lot these days, playing online ranked really lifts your game. Still terrible against characters I almost never fight though.

Anyone got tips for learning links? I can never link anything, EVER. the next move just doesn't come out and I've found no way to figure out when to push the button.

bob_arctor said:
Yeah, playing a Dhalsim, especially a really good one, is a little like figuring out advanced Calculus for me. Lost and befuddled something awful. On getting thrown--it has always been a problem for me since even SNES SF to be honest. At least by slide>throw #5678, I was teching them. A little. :D

So we gotta play again, even if it bores the shit outta you. I'm on a mini-vacation and will be back online tomorrow night.
You'll get used to teching throws eventually if you keep fighting people who like to grab. Best to make throws a part of your game plan as well (not just for linking Gouken's Ultra), if you haven't already.

And no, you didn't bore me. I'll send another invite if I see you online / looking for someone else to play.

captmcblack said:
So Guile turtling is hilarious.

I was playing some Dhalsims online and having a field day playing footsies and flash kicking them when they would try to teleport in front of me to throw or poke me. It was especially hilarious when they'd try to cross up with Ultra -----> teleport crossup -------> j.hp to try to pop me up and get the Ultra to hit, and instead they'd get Ultra flash kicked into oblivion. :lol
That... ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE A CHALLENGE!!!!!

MIMIC said:
And to our resident Dhalsim (can't remember your tag, sorry): I definitely wanna play you more often. I've never played so many matches where most of them went to 5 rounds. My 1 win was just a moral victory. :lol Your Dhalsim is scary.
That was me.

I had fun against your Blanka. Partially because I felt the urge to directly compete against his aggressiveness under your control; I simply don't like it when someone wants to outmatch my Dhalsim in that area. :lol My (perhaps arrogant) way of showing that I (ideally) won't run away to the opposite end of the screen unless I really have no other choice.

toneroni said:
GGs MicVlad. Your Dhalsim is a beast! First time i played sim online and it had to be yours :lol
Nice teleport/ultra game you got going there.
Hopefully i'll be better adjusted to my new TE stick ;) and get more wins next time!
That explains why i spazzed out every once in a while lol.

It was fun trying out some other characters though.
Player match is definitely where its at!
I wanna work on chun and some other characters a bit more.
Oh, OK. I was wondering why you were doing certain attacks seemingly at random (you know, hitting thin air), so now I know. GGs.

FindMyFarms said:
I gotta disagree. Claw sucks. Bad anti air, bad footsies, wall dives get shut down by focus attacks, wake up game is PPP or KKK, worthless ultra. Air throw works about once a match (assuming the person you're playing doesn't suck.) He's also the only character that gets WORSE in a match (losing claw.)

I really wanna like him, because I LOVE playing him in casuals, but I have yet to see anyone win with him in a serious game. The only time its happened is when the other player either doesn't know the matchup, or is just completely outskilled.
Tatsu's pretty good with him on a competitive level, from what I can tell.

Team Tatsu vs Team Vinegar (part 1)
Team Tatsu vs Team Vinegar (part 1)
Team Combofiend vs Tatsujinken

I'm positive there are other great Vega's out there.

nakedsushi said:
Has anyone had a recently approved friend request to the GAF SFIV2 Xbox360 gamertag? I'm not sure where everyone is. I sent a friend request a few days ago, but still pending approval.
Eric WK said:
I'll send a PM to firehawk to ask what's up. He's the one who made the tag.

drohne said:
think i'm going to start learning a new character -- leaning towards boxer or rufus. was going to wait until my abel was decent, but that doesn't seem to be happening :(
I vote for Rufus. He doesn't show up online that often, as opposed to Balrog's.

FindMyFarms said:

He has a fair share of mindgames once you go on the offensive, with and without his Ultra. Dhalsim has become rather flexible at close range thanks to his new and improved teleport, so you really should add it to your repertoire (and figure out its limits) in order to mess with people's heads. It's especially fun to bait specific moves or confuse charge characters with it if you use it right, and the same can be said about his Yoga Tower (though this move is not THAT useful).

Sadly you don't see a lot top players using that particular strategy, even though I perfectly understand why. It's very risky to approach your enemy with said approach due to Dhalsim's relatively low health, but it's a ton of fun regardless of that shortcoming. Not that I don't respect those with excellent zoning / poking abilities, on the contrary. It's just not something I'm interested in doing with SF IV Dhalsim most of the time (unless I have to go against Zangief)...

akachan ningen said:
yeah, it's been a rough ride but it's fun. I still feel like I'm just using 5% of him.
Ri'Orius said:

If only you two had the game on 360... :[

You're right by the way, Dhalsim doesn't have any long combo's like other characters. Think you can only land 3 consecutive hits tops with his best non-Super, non-Ultra combo.

AZ Greg

MicVlaD said:

Don't worry about it. I understand the frustration from lag. Just remember, it wasn't helping me either. ;) There were the missed supers which were virtually guaranteed of landing had the lag not interfered. It causes me to miss my cross-up flying barcelona attack because I try and hit deep with it but the lag prevents it from coming out and leaves me wide open for punishment. And most damaging is throw teching. I could swear that I tech about 70-80% of your throws. Especially as we played more and more and I saw when you liked to throw. But thanks to the lag I'm sure it's registering the tech late.

With regards to our last matches, I didn't mind how you were playing at all. It was simply more situations to learn how to counter. Though, as I said, the lag did hurt my tech game when you were doing stuff like slide, slide, slide, etc..., throw. I'm starting to do a lot better vs. other Dhalsim's now thanks to our matches. I can usually handle the teleport game and ultra setups now.

MIMIC

Banned
Wow. Hard Survival #5 is a joke compared to #4. No (random) Ultras makes it easier to beat the computer with Zangief.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
This game is fun when the other guy doesn't turtle all day. Then again, I guess that's my fault for having crappy offense that no one is afraid of. I never FADC (then again, of my three mains, only Rose has a realistic use for it)

MIMIC

Banned
Achievement Unlocked:

2 for 70G
Challenge Expert - Clear all Challenges in Challenge Mode.
The Gold Standard - Earn gold medals in all challenges.

:D

JEKKI

I stopped by Arcade Infinity for a quick second yesterday and got the chance to play two games against Ed Ma.

that guy is insane! The difference in skill level when I played him was staggering!! It's one of those situations where you're playing a fighting game that you know how to play but you just don't know what u're supposed to do.

I left after my 2nd attempt, which gave him his 16th win. Tho I dont feel that bad since everyone else was getting killed... including Mike Ross.

The only rounds he lost were to El Fuerte doing stupid shyt lol

regardless, having played the dood myself now I'm hella hyped to see his match with Combofiend today.

Prezhulio

i'm not very good online, but i happened to be slamming some ken with rose (feels so good after usually getting raped by kens) and he pulled the connection LITERALLY at the last possible second. why can't these people translate this timing expertise to the game :lol

MicVlaD said:
You'll get used to teching throws eventually if you keep fighting people who like to grab. Best to make throws a part of your game plan as well (not just for linking Gouken's Ultra), if you haven't already.

I played about 20 games with a random yesterday who threw almost every opportunity he got. It was great experience for teching throws and a few times I got him when he didn't tech. He was killing me with Bison/Seth doing teleport > throw. I finally got it and threw him a few times right after the teleport.

Top Bottom