• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

gutter_trash said:
and I disagreed with that Sirling buff because it is too ''magical'' IMO and I would rather see something else instead of that
you're complaining about a magically-propelled horizontal headbutt absorbing projectiles being too unrealistic for a game in which many characters emit fire from their limbs or teleport.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
_dementia said:
you're complaining about a magically-propelled horizontal headbutt absorbing projectiles being too unrealistic for a game in which many characters emit fire from their limbs or teleport.
Eh, I can kind of see it. Honda is a very physical character. He manuevers around all that silly magical nonsense other weaker characters have to rely on, and smashes them with his flesh. One could see it, not as out of place for the game, but out of character for honda's style.

Honda needs the ability to move w/the MP and HP hundred hand slap w/out it being an EX version. EX headbutt having the ability to go through fireballs would be great too.

Does Honda have a reliable crossup move in SF4, or a move he can use to stuff things with like he used to w/j. mk or j. lk?

slayn

He has a jumping crossup, I forget which button it is and I don't know how good it is. Looks similar to zangief's slash crossup. He can also cross up with buttslam.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Any truth to this? Just had a conversation with some peeps in #capcom about the gootecks bar fights event lol.

[01:52] <ChoiBoy> did anybody beat gootecks in that challenge
[01:52] <JaHa1> dude
[01:52] <JaHa1> they only let u play
[01:52] <JaHa1> if ur a NOBODY
[01:52] <ChoiBoy> smart rules for him to come up with
[01:52] <ChoiBoy> easy money
[01:52] <JaHa1> if u played ANY other capcom game
[01:52] <JaHa1> u cant enter
[01:52] <Valaris> I thought it was free to enter?
[01:52] <JaHa1> the RULE was if u placed top 8 st4
[01:53] <ChoiBoy> does he have a normal job
[01:53] <CaliSean> yah that was BS
[01:53] <CaliSean> i didnt get a shot
[01:53] <JaHa1> no
[01:53] <CaliSean> shirts did though
[01:53] <CaliSean> and shirts fails

nny

I apologize if this has been posted before, and I have no clue if the button combinations are correct (the last one I'm pretty sure it is), but I suppose some of you SF fans might be interested in this t-shirt:

zoom.gif

link

KevinCow

Banned
I find it interesting that throughout the various iterations of the series, Guile has never recieved new special moves. Of the original 8 SF2 characters, he's the only one who hasn't recieved new moves. Even most of the bosses and the new challengers got more specials, despite being latecomers. Yet Guile still only has his Sonic Boom and Flash Kick.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Oichi said:
Any truth to this? Just had a conversation with some peeps in #capcom about the gootecks bar fights event lol.

[01:52] <ChoiBoy> did anybody beat gootecks in that challenge
[01:52] <JaHa1> dude
[01:52] <JaHa1> they only let u play
[01:52] <JaHa1> if ur a NOBODY
[01:52] <ChoiBoy> smart rules for him to come up with
[01:52] <ChoiBoy> easy money
[01:52] <JaHa1> if u played ANY other capcom game
[01:52] <JaHa1> u cant enter
[01:52] <Valaris> I thought it was free to enter?
[01:52] <JaHa1> the RULE was if u placed top 8 st4
[01:53] <ChoiBoy> does he have a normal job
[01:53] <CaliSean> yah that was BS
[01:53] <CaliSean> i didnt get a shot
[01:53] <JaHa1> no
[01:53] <CaliSean> shirts did though
[01:53] <CaliSean> and shirts fails

Yeah, that's how it works. The rules were posted before the event. The point of the beat-the-pro challenge was to get brand new people interested in the fighting game scene, not for pros or semi-pros to win money.

EDIT: Ok, so the "rules" posted on Gooteck's site explicitly says top 8 SF4 not allowed, but the spirit of the rule is as I posted. Known faces in the community weren't allowed in the challenge because that wasn't the point.

Arde5643

slayn said:
If a balance patch were to happen, I'd like to see sagat brought down (but only a tiny bit, still being #1 is fine) and I'd like to see characters like claw, guile, honda, rose, and sakura brought up in power.
Nobody thinks about poor Fuerte.... :(

Fuerte badly needs a buff in his damage output though - his specials, normals, and throws need to do more damage. His super and ultra damage can stay the same - they're damaging enough already.

It's so discouraging to knock down the other guy 5-6 times and they hit you with one combo, and blam, you're back to square 1.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
SnowWolf said:
Yeah, that's how it works. The rules were posted before the event. The point of the beat-the-pro challenge was to get brand new people interested in the fighting game scene, not for pros or semi-pros to win money.
So the DVD is one pro beating a bunch of newcomers? Sounds like something not worth the material it's imprinted on.

LuCkymoON

Banned
If there is a patch I would really like to see the 1 sec lag during the ultra start animation go away. If C Viper starts her ultra on sagat who has his back turned it should hit 100%, however because of this lag it gives sagat a chance to turn around a block.

Freshmaker said:
So the DVD is one pro beating a bunch of newcomers? Sounds like something not worth the material it's imprinted on.

There are also some exhibition matches such as combofiend vs Ed Ma among others, but it should just be posted.

I've been catching-wreck with E. Honda (though, he's not my go-to character). Anyone on gaf an unfortunate recipient of my headbutts and slams?

Xbox Live gamertag is: Studs Ramrod

slayn

LuCkymoON said:
If there is a patch I would really like to see the 1 sec lag during the ultra start animation go away. If C Viper starts her ultra on sagat who has his back turned it should hit 100%, however because of this lag it gives sagat a chance to turn around a block.
That's sort of the point though. Unless you combo into it, ultras are supposed to be hard to land. The whole point of the supers is that they don't have that startup and are thus far better but require an entire super bar that doesn't come for free. With ultras, you are already getting a huge attack not because of your actions, but because you got punched in the face a few too many times.

I mean imagine akuma's ragin demon if you couldn't jump out of it after it was activated. It would be waaaay too easy to land.

MIMIC

Banned
nny said:
I apologize if this has been posted before, and I have no clue if the button combinations are correct (the last one I'm pretty sure it is), but I suppose some of you SF fans might be interested in this t-shirt:

*Ken Shirt*

link

Do want! :lol

MNC

LuCkymoON said:
I know what you mean :( Whereas everybody's ultra is basically a hit as soon as the cinematic ends, Viper still has about a second to go before she actually Seismic Hammers the ground and during that time almost everybody jumps away.

When it does hit it does massive damage.

ultim8p00

Banned
Is anybody interested in doing one of those mentor things with me? I need to get Ken and Cammy down. I've plateaued. I keep playing but I'm not getting any better, and I still have like ~1.3k Bp.

slayn

Threi said:
I want to learn Honda but his (lack of) mobility is pretty irritating.

*dash forward*

"really Edmund? really?"

thats a Ryu shirt btw
Eh, honda is much stronger on defense than offense anyway. He doesn't need blanka like mobility. The characters with projectiles tend to be the ones that can't punish blocked headbutts anyway (I think?).

MNC said:
I know what you mean :( Whereas everybody's ultra is basically a hit as soon as the cinematic ends, Viper still has about a second to go before she actually Seismic Hammers the ground and during that time almost everybody jumps away.

When it does it it does massive damage.
If you time it right you can Ultra off a Fierce Thunder Knuckle if the opponent jumps in.

It's probably the easiest way to land it other than EX Thunder Knuckle -> Ultra, but yeah everyone blocks EX TK so the situation never presents itself

You can also Ultra after a Burning Kick connects in the corner.

Won

MNC said:

When it does it it does massive damage.

I'm always surprised that I can press her out of it on start up with Fuerte. That isn't possible on any other character I think.

Arde5643 said:
Nobody thinks about poor Fuerte.... :(

Fuerte badly needs a buff in his damage output though - his specials, normals, and throws need to do more damage. His super and ultra damage can stay the same - they're damaging enough already.

It's so discouraging to knock down the other guy 5-6 times and they hit you with one combo, and blam, you're back to square 1.

The only change he really needs is the removal of the RSF. That thing is just stupid.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok...im really on the fence about getting this game.

My bday is next month, and my wife is asking me what games i might want. Wii Punch Out is a given, but im thinking hard and long about SFIV.....

What i DONT want is to get a game that is so hard to get into that i will get frustrated, and give up. Is SFIV good for N00bs?

KevinCow

Banned
Studs Ramrod said:
I've been catching-wreck with E. Honda (though, he's not my go-to character). Anyone on gaf an unfortunate recipient of my headbutts and slams?

Xbox Live gamertag is: Studs Ramrod
Wanna have a Honda vs. Honda match later? I've been learning him lately. I'd like to see how I stack up against other Hondas.

My Gamertag's KevinCow.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

My bday is next month, and my wife is asking me what games i might want. Wii Punch Out is a given, but im thinking hard and long about SFIV.....

What i DONT want is to get a game that is so hard to get into that i will get frustrated, and give up. Is SFIV good for N00bs?
It's got a bit of a learning hurdle, but it's about as noob friendly as a fighting game can get without being Smash Bros.

How nooby are you? Are you somewhat familiar with the genre, in that you at least know how to do the basic special move motions like quarter-circles and charges? Or are you really just starting at square 1?

MIMIC

Banned
Ferrio said:
Fool, that's Ryu!

Ryu's hair is black! =p

If my button-mashing brother can almost beat me, then I say yes. He's slowly learning what those mashed buttons actually do now....even though he's been playing SF for years 0_o

Arde5643

Won said:
The only change he really needs is the removal of the RSF. That thing is just stupid.
Whaa? Without that, he doesn't have any reliable punisher at all.
He still has super combos, but only if he has a full meter and Fuerte badly needs his EX meter for his game.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
KevinCow said:
Wanna have a Honda vs. Honda match later? I've been learning him lately. I'd like to see how I stack up against other Hondas.

My Gamertag's KevinCow.

It's got a bit of a learning hurdle, but it's about as noob friendly as a fighting game can get without being Smash Bros.

How nooby are you? Are you somewhat familiar with the genre, in that you at least know how to do the basic special move motions like quarter-circles and charges? Or are you really just starting at square 1?

Ive definitely played my fighters over the years...the MK's, some earlier Street Fighters, etc...so those motions will be fine. Does it have a decent training mode, and does it have trophies tied to accomplishing things in these trainings (positive reinforcement..lol)?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Probably the most newbie friendly Street Fighter yet..
Give it a try.

KevinCow said:

My Gamertag's KevinCow.

Would love to. I'd like to see how my E. Honda stacks-up as well. Will hit you up later in the evening.

Won

Arde5643 said:
Whaa? Without that, he doesn't have any reliable punisher at all.
He still has super combos, but only if he has a full meter and Fuerte badly needs his EX meter for his game.

Well....see....I don't think somethink like RSF should be called reliable. :p

_dementia said:
it's dark red

How they managed this is beyond me...unless he's been using hair dye. In SF 1 and Alpha games...he clearly has red hair... Two...it's black/brownish...Three the same...

While they're at it...explain what the hell happened to Birdie...

Mind you, I'm black and welcome another gaudy brother to the SF fold...but dude was obviously white in SF1/Fighting Street.

hitsugi

gutter_trash said:
Blanka took mondo damage in WW when he would get hit out of his roll (Shoryuken the Ball bammm )

Same goes for Sagat falling from a Tiger uppercut in WW.. it was almost like their physics or something, haha. Although that obviously didn't effect VS mode..

Won said:
Well....see....I don't think somethink like RSF should be called reliable. :p

He needs to buff up... When people are using a glitch to create relevance or usefullness with a character, something is wrong...

And soooo...we have to wait until the PC version drops to get this patch. I hope droppers get penalized 1,000 BP...

I wonder if the PC version is going to have all of the costumes...and run at 120 fps....

Spiderjericho said:
How they managed this is beyond me...unless he's been using hair dye. In SF 1 and Alpha games...he clearly has red hair... Two...it's black/brownish...Three the same...

While they're at it...explain what the hell happened to Birdie...

Mind you, I'm black and welcome another gaudy brother to the SF fold...but dude was obviously white in SF1/Fighting Street.
His hair color could change as he ages, it happens.

or he dyes it

LuCkymoON

Banned
slayn said:
That's sort of the point though. Unless you combo into it, ultras are supposed to be hard to land. The whole point of the supers is that they don't have that startup and are thus far better but require an entire super bar that doesn't come for free. With ultras, you are already getting a huge attack not because of your actions, but because you got punched in the face a few too many times.

I mean imagine akuma's ragin demon if you couldn't jump out of it after it was activated. It would be waaaay too easy to land.
not every character has a super worth doing.

slayn

LuCkymoON said:
not every character has a super worth doing.
I didn't say it was, I just meant that if you are looking for a high damage move that you can reliably punish with, ultras are not what you are looking for. Those are what supers are for.

With viper, the ultra should be functioning as a combo finisher, not a punisher.

A video I jacked from SRK of Kai vs. Gootecks yesterday (props to Hiddenleavz):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7dqht-OIo

Edit...some more (courtesy of risingtied on SRK):

(Ed Ma vs. Combofiend pt. 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5NXc2INlc0

(Ed Ma vs. Combofiend pt. 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLOQ7ydqo7o

(Dae & Bustabust vs. Keno and partner part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tksqWzyju7c

(Dae & Bustabust vs. Keno and partner part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_IAoaeos1o

(Rose Ball)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDvs1i1hfag

(Turn Out)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUvOcgLVEXE

slayn said:
Eh, honda is much stronger on defense than offense anyway. He doesn't need blanka like mobility. The characters with projectiles tend to be the ones that can't punish blocked headbutts anyway (I think?).

Ken can, with a easy front+MK pokey kick

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ChrisGoldstein said:
What's the best way to link/land Blanka's ultra?
I'd love to know this, seems like I only get 1 hit with it any time I do it. Barely get the full damage.

slayn

blanka's ultra:

First, lets understand what it does. This is the series of events of blanka's ultra:
1 flashy ultra thingy
2 blanka pounds the ground, creating a shockwave that stuns anyone close to him that isn't blocking low. I believe he is invinceable while doing this.
3 blanka then launches into the air and is vulnerable to things like dragon punches and flash kicks
4 blanka than reaches the peak and starts falling, now the attack is hitting. If an opponent is hit on the way down, they are launched into the air. This arial attack is an overhead and must be blocked high.
5 blanka lands, and rolls in place as long as you keep PPP held down. You can hold the ultra going like this for ~3 seconds or so. If you launched someone into the air, you should hold down PPP and time slamming into them while they are falling
6 blanka then charges forward. This can be blocked either high or low. It does a *lot* of chip damage.
7 if the ultra was blocked, blanka bounces back and his highly vulerable for punishment.

Setups.

1. Punish someone else when you block their ultra. If it is an ultra that launches them into the air (sagat, ken, etc) use it right as they land so that you hit them with the ground pound to ensure full hits from the ultra.

2. Chip death. If your opponent is at around 5% health, use it in a situation where they would usually try to block it to kill them.

3. Cross-up. If you knock your opponent down and are close to them (closer than where a bite puts them), use the ultra while they are still flat on the ground. The ultra launches into the air and you can cross them up with it. You often only get 2 or so hits, but it is hard to block and is much safer because if they do block it, the final part of the ultra sends you away from them to the other side of the screen.

Risky Setups:

1 Off wakeup. If you *know* your opponent is going to attack while you stand up, smack them with an ultra

2 If your timing and hit-comfirming is far better than mine, I've been told you can link the ultra off of c.mk

3 Hop Ultra. Not that safe, but can really surprise some people or can be used to better cross them up with the ultra.
Charge back, then quickly do forward+kkk, back, forward+ppp (finish the motion while blanka is mid hop) Then blanka will hop forward and immediately start ultra. You can even cross over them with the hop, and when you finish the motion, blanka will do the ultra in the opposite direction back towards them.

Top Bottom