• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

So I just played this final against a dude with a Sagat title and icon. I am cursing when I see it. Not again! Not Sagat! Then the match starts and the dude's Dan, using the alt costume. I laufed and laufed and laufed. That guy is a hero! If I had to save one replay it would be me vs. Dan, but of course it wouldn't let me. I guess that's not too bad cuz I blew round 2 when I did spike > super instead of spike > fadc > spike.

I also fixed my slow saving problem by clearing the cache, deleting the install, then reinstalling. So if anyone else is still having that problem give that a shot.

MIMIC said:
On controllers, it should be ENFORCED :) I've never played using a stick.

I saw someone with 1%

Me: *sets icon to crying, then leaves the lobby"

Ragequitters must be ostracized!
I dunno, legit d/c's count towards the percentage. I'd give a 1% dude a shot!

LakeEarth

CO_Andy said:
I thought you were the Third Strike champion on NeoGAF! What happened?

I also hate Blanka with a burning passion; his Ultra does ridiculous chip damage.
I'm not as good at SFIV as I was in 3rd Strike. And Haunts is WAY better than me, he just didn't participate in GAF tournies. But when I faced him, yeah I didn't win much.

Ploid 3.0

CO_Andy said:
Ah, sorry to hear that! It doesn't pay to buy knock-offs.

I'm completely satisfied with playing SF4 on my S-Type Xbox pad.

Thing is, I'm just finding out it's a knockoff. I thought SEGA made these, they do have Sega's name on the box.

JEKKI

man wtfuuuuuuck Championship mode man...

how did all these good players come out of nowhere?!?! lol.

I thought I was decent at this game, but now I'm getting my ass kicked over half the time!!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Ploid 3.0 said:
Thing is, I'm just finding out it's a knockoff. I thought SEGA made these, they do have Sega's name on the box.
Chinese box right? I got one of those and it's working great. :\ it's a bit squeaky and it rattles when I shake it (buttons), but it seems to hold up nicely. maybe you just got a fucked up one?

Souther

Banned
I think i just finished playing MarkMan. If he uses Bison and has the name Bourgeious or something like that. I think the psn was mrkman55 or something

He won, 2-1. Usually i play as fei-long but i choose ryu this time. Hes pretty hard to play against.

anyways my psn is cyclonus if you see me on there.

I don't understand why there is no Tournament mode in this...I'd prefer that over championship mode. 8 players start out then only 1 remains. Way cooler imo

I really wish KOF98 UM was on PSN....I think i would be a helluva lot better on that game than SFIV...I guess i just don't play enough sf.

Oh well guess i'll have to wait until KOFXII.

JEKKI said:

I thought I was decent at this game, but now I'm getting my ass kicked over half the time!!
Same here :(

Ploid 3.0

Brobzoid said:
Chinese box right? I got one of those and it's working great. :\ it's a bit squeaky and it rattles when I shake it (buttons), but it seems to hold up nicely. maybe you just got a fucked up one?

Yep Chinese box, and rattle buttons. I never had a Genesis so I couldn't tell if it was a real deal sega pad. I thought it felt cheap when I first picked it up.

Oh man I am doing so much better after fixing the HD problem. Matches aren't skipping and the lag is so much better. I had a similar issue with RE5 but no other 360 games. capcom doesn't like my 360!

JEKKI said:

Yeah I'm realizing I was never good at this. I was only good at waiting for Kens and Sagats to whiff their specials and then take advantage.

I like the variety of players in Championship mode.

Souther said:
I think i just finished playing MarkMan. If he uses Bison and has the name Bourgeious or something like that. I think the psn was mrkman55 or something

He won, 2-1. Usually i play as fei-long but i choose ryu this time. Hes pretty hard to play against.

anyways my psn is cyclonus if you see me on there.

I don't understand why there is no Tournament mode in this...I'd prefer that over championship mode. 8 players start out then only 1 remains. Way cooler imo

I really wish KOF98 UM was on PSN....I think i would be a helluva lot better on that game than SFIV...I guess i just don't play enough sf.

Oh well guess i'll have to wait until KOFXII.

I'm the same ...we have SFIV, but i'm always wishing I could play ANY kind of KOF online T_T

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Ploid 3.0 said:
Yep Chinese box, and rattle buttons. I never had a Genesis so I couldn't tell if it was a real deal sega pad. I thought it felt cheap when I first picked it up.
It does feel a bit cheap, I almost broke it open once when I lost by clutching and twisting it. Old school Sega MegaDrive pads weren't rattling like this one so I just assumed it was a knock-off, but a good one at that.

Won

JEKKI said:

They were always there. Ranked just sucked sooo hard. I'm happy to get a good variation of players atm. Always hated to play the same 3 guys every evening.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
AgentOtaku said:
I'm the same ...we have SFIV, but i'm always wishing it could play ANY kind of KOF online T_T

That's what Emulation is for- but OG KOF98 pales in comparison to UM. It's like comparing ST to STHD, but Krauser is not as bad as Akuma by any stretch. Edit: GGPO is emulation, at least tolerated by Capcom.

Let's put it this way- I know UM will get play- the only thing that will stop me is if I can't play on stick online. (I've always used pad in KOF, and the 360 SFIV pad was fail for me on GGPO 98).

The big problem with 98UM will be the sheer amount of laggy Mexican players (Mexican players lag horribly on 360, they do in STHD and SF4)

Alivor

I said wow at the influx of really good players. I guess it's because everyone starts at the bottom, including the amazingly good people.

*Ahem*

G2 is where the comp is at. I ran into a guy I've met through SF4 and played a lot of player matches with, King_hollywood, who has a damn solid Vega in my very first match.

MoxManiac

How many GP to get to G2? I'm finding it hard to get a lot of CP points in the G3 brackets because I keep getting matched with low GP opponents.

And man, the Seths and their love of neutral J.HP really have come out of the woodwork!

Cowie

gah, joined a match that was supposed to be at finals level.. before i even finish connecting it disconnects
and tells me that since the match was not completed, i have to start from the beginning ;\

didn't affect my disconnect rate, but i want those damn gp!

Runner up or Finale victory and I have my 2000 GP!

Edit: G2-E! Although I don't think I will ever win a tournament in G2 :( They are too good.

Cowie

man, you guys are really making me wanna grind my way up to g2 and see this crazy competition. tournament mode is so much better than ranked...

made it to G2-E today and had to stop. i had trouble finding people to play with.

and whenever i mad a room, i got people with one bar joining my games mostly. tomorrow it is :lol

What's this compaint about having a regular tournament set-up? Guys, it won't work like that. It would take too long for a room of 16 to fill, you know how it goes. A room of 4, two drop, four come in, 2 minutes pass, 1 drops, 2 come in, 3 minutes, pass, 5 come in, 2 drop etc. etc.

And then you have people quitting during tournaments, ragequitting etc. etc., it would be too sloppy.

Capcom did well in making this psuedo-tournament set up.

I really wish they did more for the replay system.

For instance:

First off, a separate menu to watch them, a dedicated REPLAY menu in the main options listing. Not some in the corner last minute embedded in the leaderboards crap. When in the replay menu, you can choose what kind of level of replay too watch, G1, G2, G3 etc. Top plays your, your rank, your friends. Also, you can plug in a mic, and leave commentary on your replays, and then host it for your friends to see. Commentary I thought would be crucial and something kind of groundbreaking in the industry since Halo 3 didn't do that, nor do any of the fighting games like DOA4.

where did all the dhalsims come from? met my first dhalsim on G2 in semifinals, beat him and went on to the next round to meet another. got destroyed this time.

five minutes later i meet another one in round two. we were pretty much even, be he won. i need more practice.

MNC

Ugh, so many can't find games now. Seems ranked/player matches went to competition.

Also, one time I got an error saying I couldn't connect to PSN when I totally could <_<

fatty

Rocky_Balboa said:
Runner up or Finale victory and I have my 2000 GP!

Edit: G2-E! Although I don't think I will ever win a tournament in G2 :( They are too good.

After you are in G2, can you ever go back to G3 (whether it is by your choosing or if you are forced to from the game itself)?

Also is there a breakdown that explains what exactly are the grade/championship points and what levels you advance on (ex. 2000 Grade Points for G2-E)? I'm still searching for something like this but haven't had any luck yet.

No list but here's what I know so far

G3-E - 0 GP
G3-D - 50 GP
G3-C - 100 GP
G3-B - 250 GP
G3-A - 1000 GP
G2-E - 2000 GP

Grade points determine your grade/rank, they are persistent.

Championship points are points you earn through a tournament. They are equal to your opponent's Grade Points + Championship points. The higher championship points you have at the end of a tournament determines how many grade points you get for winning and whether or not you can upload a replay.

fatty

Teknopathetic said:
No list but here's what I know so far

G3-E - 0 GP
G3-D - 50 GP
G3-C - 100 GP
G3-B - 250 GP
G3-A - 1000 GP
G2-E - 2000 GP

Grade points determine your grade/rank, they are persistent.

Championship points are points you earn through a tournament. They are equal to your opponent's Grade Points + Championship points. The higher championship points you have at the end of a tournament determines how many grade points you get for winning and whether or not you can upload a replay.

Cool, thanks a lot.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So you dont lose GP until you get in the two highest grade right ? I forgot what they are called though, Super Grade or something ?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Sup yo.

2u8zbmd.jpg

fatty

Kandrick said:
So you dont lose GP until you get in the two highest grade right ? I forgot what they are called though, Super Grade or something ?

Here's what I found when searching for the different GP levels:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/apr/23/reminder-championship-mode-update-sfiv-out-soon/

Tournaments:

The tournaments offer a new take on classic SFIV competition. They are broken out into 5 different levels, which means everyone can participate and find a good challenge without getting blown out of the water or bored. You score Grade Points (GP) for tournament wins, and as your GP total grows, you’ll become eligible to enter into more exclusive tournaments. Winning tournaments will also net you Championship Points (CP). The CP work basically like “prize money” up for grabs in the tournament. The higher the GP skill of the players in a particular tournament, the bigger the CP prize!

In true tournament tradition, character selection is double-blind. With the CP purse on the line, you won't be able to see who your opponent has picked until you've both made your choices, and the battle is set to begin.

The tournaments are run according to a standard type of single-elimination bracket, but your opponents are generated dynamically. This means the matching system will automatically match you with a player of your skill level participating in that tournament type, so you don’t have to wait around. Since the tournaments are already seeded by player strength, you’re assured quality opponents at your same skill level, as fast as possible. If you can advance through the rounds to take a top placing, you’ll score GP and CP. As your points increase, you’re eligible for tournaments with increasingly strong opponents.

* SG Championship (SUPER GRADE): 5 rounds long. The highest grade championship in which only top players can participate.
* G1 Championship (GRADE 1):&#65301; rounds long, for advanced players.
* G2 Championship (GRADE2 2): 4 rounds long, for intermediate players.
* G3 Championship (GRADE3): 3 rounds long, for beginners.
* FREE Championship (Free Grade): 4 rounds long, open to anyone regardless of their level.

The tournament system is set up to reward you for participating. At G3, you actually score a point even if you get knocked out in your very first match. At G2, you don’t gain points for a first-round loss, but don’t lose any either. Similarly, you never lose points by participating in the FREE rank tournaments. Only in the top G1 and SG tournaments is it possible to lose GP, and even then you only ever lose 5 points for a first-round loss.

One of the best things about the new mode is that can play in tournaments in just the same way you can use the “arcade request” feature, so you’re free to play in arcade mode while waiting for your next tournament challenger, who will be chosen automatically based on your rank.

Last, but most certainly not least, disconnecters, aka pullers, aka ragequitters, your days are numbered: If you disconnect during a match, the system will also dock you your progress in the tournament, so pullers will never be able to advance into the higher ranks of tournaments. What’s even more fun is that the system also happily displays your disconnect percentage, so if you've got a bad habit, it's right there for everyone to see.

MoxManiac

Yeah, it's a great new feature. On the surface it seems little more than a tweaked version of ranked match mode, but it's mechanics and general setup seem to lead to much better matchmaking overall.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
rose is a fucking bulletproof bitch when she has ultra. wtf I can't jump at her at all!?

i love the new tournament mode. Am seeing vega, rose and a freak sakura that perfected me with completely NUTS combos. quite often.

wanna get to G2.

I don't understand though, eventually everyone will be G2 since you can't actually go DOWN

Arde5643

catfish said:
rose is a fucking bulletproof bitch when she has ultra. wtf I can't jump at her at all!?

i love the new tournament mode. Am seeing vega, rose and a freak sakura that perfected me with completely NUTS combos. quite often.

wanna get to G2.

I don't understand though, eventually everyone will be G2 since you can't actually go DOWN
I have a feeling that the GP scores will get reset every few "seasons" or so. Otherwise, everyone will end up in G1 after a while.

Cowie

catfish said:

wanna get to G2.

well for now, G2 is where the really dedicated/good/overlap between those two players are.. points are harder to get in G2 as you don't get anything for losing (meanwhile you could lose 2000 matches to reach g2 from g3, if that was your thing).. eventually all of the current g2 competition will move to G1, and in G1 and S1 you can lose GP for losing in the first round

So, probably a month from now, G2 will be overrun with mediocrity (my ass is already halfway there!), and G1/S1 will be the hot shit.

KevinCow

Banned
Geez. So I went to a tournament today (got eliminated first match, like I expected). WAY too many Ryus, Kens, and Balrogs. Seriously, nearly every match had one of these three characters. :/

Surprisingly few Sagats, though.

Top Bottom