• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Zabka

I'm still a iffy on whether the Championship mode is a good thing. The BP system worked pretty well at finding players at a similar skill level, even if it didn't account for disconnects.

Besides not fixing the amateurish problems in the Quick/Custom/Create system, Championship mode cuts you off from potentially good opponents because they're at a different tournament stage than you. Throw in matching people using a near penalty free Experience style system, and it seems like the longer the system's in place the worse this it will work.

The ideal system to me would be a lot like COD4's Matchmaking. A hidden skill-rating used for matchmaking, paired up with an experience system that awards players with things like titles and icons. You hit "Ranked Match", it puts you up against the person with the best connection at the same skill level. The host is randomly determined, not that it matters much in a 1 on 1 game anyway.

Too late for that now, I suppose.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Obviously Zangiefs spd's are the cheapest moves in the game, because he can fucking do them while still in the air, or maybe his lariat, and Rose and Seth have cheap ass ultra's, but...

...I think Blanka's river run or the whatever the shitty slide thing is, is the cheapest normal in the game. It's too fucking fast, too long a duration, and the hitbox is really deceptive. I can't get a feel for it because the startup animation and hitbox is wonky. How does the slide beat hit me when I throw a fireball from 3/4th screen? I have no clue.

I can't jump forward or I get balled or elecrified. I can't throw fireballs unless it's full screen. Basically can't mount any offense against blanka because his slide move is fucking broken. It was annoying in ST. Now because of it's range it's just cheap.

I fucking hate when stuff that happens "underneath" the graphics onscreen doesn't match up with the visuals. Why am I still puzzled sometimes when I get hit by stuff, or when something I do hits someone else, even after 1000+ matches? Never happened in hyper fighting. I got used to the "underneath" hitbox engine in HDR after about 2-300 matches. Still with SF IV I can't seem to get a really good grasp of it. A bunch of shit just doesn't make sense.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Timedog said:
I can't jump forward or I get balled or elecrified. I can't throw fireballs unless it's full screen. Basically can't mount any offense against blanka because his slide move is fucking broken. It was annoying in ST. Now because of it's range it's just cheap.

his slide move isn't broken. I get punished to hell and back if I throw that out all the time.block it from any range other than max distance and you can hit him. Just get back to throw those fireballs. don't do it from slide distance.

Okay Yeb just uploaded a new replay.. His Gen vs a Rufus.. They both are G2-E..

He rapes him so bad that he perfects him the 1st round then nearly perfects him the 2nd round..

Yeb is #45 or 46 on the Top Champ Points chart with that tournament win too by the way.

I saved it.. it was so sick.

EDIT: Also wtf at all the Gens.. He is in the New Replay list more then Chun it seems.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Man, I beat 9 guys in a row, then I was about to beat a 10th in a row when he quit on me... Then I lost to the next guy I played :( I'll never get ten in a row...

Ploid 3.0

Timedog said:
Obviously Zangiefs spd's are the cheapest moves in the game, because he can fucking do them while still in the air, or maybe his lariat, and Rose and Seth have cheap ass ultra's, but...

...I think Blanka's river run or the whatever the shitty slide thing is, is the cheapest normal in the game. It's too fucking fast, too long a duration, and the hitbox is really deceptive. I can't get a feel for it because the startup animation and hitbox is wonky. How does the slide beat hit me when I throw a fireball from 3/4th screen? I have no clue.

I fucking hate when stuff that happens "underneath" the graphics onscreen doesn't match up with the visuals. Why am I still puzzled sometimes when I get hit by stuff, or when something I do hits someone else, even after 1000+ matches? Never happened in hyper fighting. I got used to the "underneath" hitbox engine in HDR after about 2-300 matches. Still with SF IV I can't seem to get a really good grasp of it. A bunch of shit just doesn't make sense.

It slides under the fireball. Rufus has a pretty awesome normal as well. He pretty much has a Dhalsim fist that's in the middle. It's as long as sakura's short fireball, if not more. (Down+FP)

"Yea about Seth's Ultra...How I am supposed to block or dodge it?"

You can block it, but if you're jumping or doing pretty much anything besides that, you'll eat it. There are some exceptions, for example, Seth's ultra whiffed on me while I was doing EX Devil's Reverse.

MIMIC

Banned
Good Zangiefs actually exist on Xbox Live. REALLY good ones @_@

I had one beat me 10-3 (I was Fuerte :D) and my God, I thought I'd never see the day. He played like those Zangiefs that I see play on gamechariot/Infinity Arcade (from YouTube) and whatever. I felt so good when I managed to beat him.

Just to test his concentration, when one of the rounds started, I didn't make a single move.....and just watched him spaz out :lol He probably would have murdered my Blanka :(

KevinCow

Banned
MIMIC said:
I had one beat me 10-3 (I was Fuerte :D)
I saw an interesting Fuerte/Gief match earlier today. Fuerte was just going apeshit on Gief, owning him up and down the stage, got him down to like a fourth his health... then Gief pulls out like two moves and they're even. :lol

MIMIC

Banned
KevinCow said:
I saw an interesting Fuerte/Gief match earlier today. Fuerte was just going apeshit on Gief, owning him up and down the stage, got him down to like a fourth his health... then Gief pulls out like two moves and they're even. :lol

Yeah, that's why I didn't feel too bad about spamming the Tostada. 5 of those = 1 piledriver :lol

He had 6 straight wins over me and that's when it got personal :)

ETA: And Gief's jumping HP (IIRC) has some serious priority. His Jumping HP beat my jumping HP 98% of the time. It traded maybe twice and I NEVER had priority. I had to learn to avoid that shit :lol His timing was insane.

Arde5643

shintoki said:
Yea about Seth's Ultra...How I am supposed to block or dodge it? :lol
Just block - don't do anything while he's doing his ultra - if you're jumping or doing any move while he's doing his ultra, you're screwed.

yeb

TurtleSnatcher said:
Okay Yeb just uploaded a new replay.. His Gen vs a Rufus.. They both are G2-E..

He rapes him so bad that he perfects him the 1st round then nearly perfects him the 2nd round..

Yeb is #45 or 46 on the Top Champ Points chart with that tournament win too by the way.

I saved it.. it was so sick.

EDIT: Also wtf at all the Gens.. He is in the New Replay list more then Chun it seems.
:lol I'm surprised anyone caught that. Actually, would you be willing to upload that replay to youtube WITH the input display on? I was accused of using turbo (again) today and I'd love to show my actual button presses with a match like that, but I don't have any way to record it myself. :(

yeb said:
:lol I'm surprised anyone caught that. Actually, would you be willing to upload that replay to youtube WITH the input display on? I was accused of using turbo (again) today and I'd love to show my actual button presses with a match like that, but I don't have any way to record it myself. :(
Juts tell them to watch your replay :p

Find your name on Champ List.. your like top 100

Then have them see it.. My Dig camera may make the inputs a bit blah.

Who the hell accuses you of turbo? Even with Turbo I cant do that shit.. :lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yea OK, G2 is definitely hardcore as it is right now. Nothing like G3 where I could win 80% of the "tournaments." After playing for an hour or so, I didn't win a single tourney :lol Only thing that sucks is that only a small spattering of people seem to be high enough for G2 just yet.

Ran into yeb in a random match too. Was actually a closer fight than I thought it would be.

Lost Fragment said:
Yea OK, G2 is definitely hardcore as it is right now. Nothing like G3 where I could win 80% of the "tournaments." After playing for an hour or so, I didn't win a single tourney :lol Only thing that sucks is that only a small spattering of people seem to be high enough for G2 just yet.

Ran into yeb in a random match too. Was actually a closer fight than I thought it would be.
Wow I can't even win 20% of the matches in G3 =[

yeb

TurtleSnatcher said:
Juts tell them to watch your replay :p

Find your name on Champ List.. your like top 100

Then have them see it.. My Dig camera may make the inputs a bit blah.

Who the hell accuses you of turbo? Even with Turbo I cant do that shit.. :lol
Funny enough, two of the people that thought I used turbo have been respected players from SRK. They must figure that if it's too hard even for them to pull it off, then I must be cheating. :lol Luckily most people just have praise, but I am kind of worried that someone might accuse me of cheating in an online tourney or something.

The only problem with relying on the in-game replay list is that it fluctuates so much right now. My replays are probably going to be moving around every time I play. Oh well.

Threi

notag
yeb...your match vs rufus...

what the fuck man you need to be banned :(

:( that vid completely broke my spirit.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Wow I can't even win 20% of the matches in G3 =[
really? I'm not having that hard of a time and you are better at SF then I am...

The guys there do love to hop around a LOT though, its kind of annoying.

*edit*

Before I forget, I had to steal my points back Haeleos :lol

MIMIC

Banned
Oh yeah...I played a GREEN BAR match that was a laggy shit fest at one point. Only happened once but I was definitely surprised. Oh well...I guess nothing perfect.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I just hit G3-A but I haven't played that much. Went 14-1 today with my Honda, loss was to Abel which I don't mind cause that matchup is Hideous (Abel can get in on Honda all day)

Ran into a flowchart Gen earlier today. Or at least what I consider to be flowchart Gen.

KevinCow

Banned
God, what the hell is wrong with me? I'm just shit today. No wonder I got my ass handed to me at the tournament. I almost got beat by a flowchart Ken whose every move I could predict (though he wouldn't stop fucking jumping, what the hell). And I did get beaten by a crappy Abel whose entire strategy seemed to be around hitting me with a Focus Attack and following up with a big combo. Which he did admirably, but I could see all of his Focus Attacks coming and should have been able to counter them. But for some reason my hands weren't working.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Just won 16 games in a row with Gen.

Also, I went from 1200 BP to 2700 BP in one sitting on standard Ranked. I was losing left right and centre yesterday, but now I'm back on form (although I really don't know why).

fatty

BIG BUBBA said:
Man, I beat 9 guys in a row, then I was about to beat a 10th in a row when he quit on me... Then I lost to the next guy I played :( I'll never get ten in a row...

Championship Mode doesn't count toward the ranked win achievement. :( I had the same issue trying to get my 10th win.

KevinCow said:
Geez. So I went to a tournament today (got eliminated first match, like I expected). WAY too many Ryus, Kens, and Balrogs. Seriously, nearly every match had one of these three characters. :/

Surprisingly few Sagats, though.

:lol

I see other people complaining about too many Sagats, Blankas, Akumas, etc. I think there has been a great variety of different characters with everyone playing in this new mode.

Jason

Cataferal said:
Just won 16 games in a row with Gen.

Also, I went from 1200 BP to 2700 BP in one sitting on standard Ranked. I was losing left right and centre yesterday, but now I'm back on form (although I really don't know why).

You killed my Rufus. :lol

qcf x2

I was running through people with my yellow scarf today. :D

I see so very few Ken/Ryu players now, and I played 3 Vipers today in Championship Mode, which is 1 more than I've played online ever. One of them was a chick who was good enough that she did the low HP, knuckle feint, low HP combo in moderate lag. Impressive, even if she lost.

But with that said, I can't wait til I get to G2...I'm a lil tired of the one-move-spam or sweep/throw tactics.

I'm glad you don't lose GP though...I've had 3 bar matches where a simple qcb wouldn't register (at all).

It always throws me off to see how timid Chun plays in SF4. I'm so used to the fearless, god tier Chun of 3s.

Threi

notag
q. Why does my player record show me having a 24-game winstreak? There was no way in hell I won that many matches in a row, I am sure it is a glitch (the most I have ever won in a row was 11 games).

arstal said:
I just hit G3-A but I haven't played that much. Went 14-1 today with my Honda, loss was to Abel which I don't mind cause that matchup is Hideous (Abel can get in on Honda all day)

Ran into a flowchart Gen earlier today. Or at least what I consider to be flowchart Gen.
That was probably me.

MoxManiac

I can't get replays to work now. (PSN)

And it booted me after the 2nd fight of two championships, starting me over each time. FUCK.

And it froze some more in the XMB forcing me to hard reset. FUCK.

And now, as said above, I can't view replays because it keeps saying they are corrupted, FUCK.

Crapcom can take this patch and shove it up their ass. These bastards f***ed up royally. I log in again after getting to 1200 GP only to see this Last match did not complete BS (although I lost my last match and went to the MAIN F*CKING MENU before I turned off the system). Back down to 600 GP; not only that, the replay system is a bonafide POS. I think I'm going to player matches again - are there any good people in the FREE Championship mode too?

Such a shitty online framework for a 2009 game. FFS.

Edit: and If my DC ratio went up, I'm going to Capcom JPN to punch Ono in the face.

Zabka said:
The ideal system to me would be a lot like COD4's Matchmaking. A hidden skill-rating used for matchmaking, paired up with an experience system that awards players with things like titles and icons. You hit "Ranked Match", it puts you up against the person with the best connection at the same skill level. The host is randomly determined, not that it matters much in a 1 on 1 game anyway.
Yeah, that's really how it should have been. I wish more games would do auto matchmaking.

Hit G2 earlier today. Got to the finals in my first tournament but lost to some Abel. Afterwards I saw the guy on SRK bitching about all the 'scrubs' already stinking up the rankings. Hope I'm one of them! Matchmaking was taking forever since there were only 200 or so people above 2000GP according to the leaderboards. Hope there are a lot more when I play tomorrow!

I think I ran into Relix? Seeing lots of GAF dudes. It's cool but nerve wracking! I'm warming up to the new mode now that I'm not having all the technical hiccups. I'm worried it's gonna be really grindy though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ploid 3.0 said:
They are a Japanese company, they are exempt from making a great online experience in their games.
But what about Dead or Alive and Virtua Fighter? Sega and Tecmo both did a pretty good job with the online portion.

Killa Sasa said:
Crapcom can take this patch and shove it up their ass. These bastards f***ed up royally. I log in again after getting to 1200 GP only to see this Last match did not complete BS (although I lost my last match and went to the MAIN F*CKING MENU before I turned off the system). Back down to 600 GP; not only that, the replay system is a bonafide POS. I think I'm going to player matches again - are there any good people in the FREE Championship mode too?

Such a shitty online framework for a 2009 game. FFS.

Edit: and If my DC ratio went up, I'm going to Capcom JPN to punch Ono in the face.

I dont even treat championship edition like a ranked system.

Don't sweat it dude.. Just treat it like player matches.. If I logged in and i was back down to 1GP I wouldn't even care.. lol

Just play normally..

MIMIC

Banned
The videos sorely need a rewind/fast-forward function. I couldn't give two shits about slo-mo.

ETA: I couldn't give two shits about slow-mo by itself :)

Fufufufuuuuu... My new hate list:

Sagat: WTF I am supposed to do when he spams lk tiger knee next to me? Seems like it is totally safe.

Gen: I hate cross ups so I hate Gen the most. His jumps are so low and fast that I don't have time to react always. And the ultra is comboed so easily.

Blanka: Hopping around makes me crazy.

But finally I got Zangief off the list. I'm actually happy if somebody picks him now.

Anyways I need more practice if I ever want to get to the next rank. I'm getting like 5-20 GP in G2 if I'm lucky.

Edit: Btw. how does the disconnect % work? I've gotten a few times an accidental disconnect, but I still have 0% and the opponent also has 0%.

MicVlad, good games man, although I little bit one-sided. 15 matches against the same haracter in a row is my limit :D.

I learned to time my jumpins better, but I need to practice my safe jump-in combo (jumpin-> few jabs -> EX-OH/throw/headbutt) some more.

Btw. maybe you should do a backdash sometimes when I jumpin on you during wakeup. Might work better than just blocking.

Flek

Banned
yay... just had my first rage quitter (name is Sir-Killertight) AFTER the update ...

3475528633_cbb90b9cf3.jpg

idiot :D

Top Bottom