• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Pop On Arrival said:
Just got back from my first tournament!

Got all the way to the semi-finals before getting knocked out by my buddy! We both agreed to play random since we already knew each others style well enough, but he still got his fucking main (zangief), and I got stuck with a character I don't even fucking use (fei).

Managed to upset two popular faces in our local scene, first one was probably dumb luck, the other was a pretty definitive beatdown. But yeah , the entire event really made me nervous. Knowing like 50+ people were watching me on the big screen really killed me. Specially as they were watching me fumble around with Fei long and lose horribly. :lol

Yeah man, tourney jitters are real! The two tourneys I have been to, I played extremely nervous and lost to people I shouldn't have. Thankfully, I think I've gotten over being green lol. Good job on the upsets, it's always nice surprising people ;)

GalacticAE said:
Got a tourney today. Time to make that $$$.

MIKE JONESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Which character you usin? BTW I saw Mike Jones in a parking lot once. He couldn't figure out how to "make dat flashin shit get off the toll meeta" He left and 5 min. later the meter lady was droppin a ticket on that bubblelicious slab he called his whip.

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah man, tourney jitters are real! The two tourneys I have been to, I played extremely nervous and lost to people I shouldn't have. Thankfully, I think I've gotten over being green lol. Good job on the upsets, it's always nice surprising people ;)

Which character you usin? BTW I saw Mike Jones in a parking lot once. He couldn't figure out how to "make dat flashin shit get off the toll meeta" He left and 5 min. later the meter lady was droppin a ticket on that bubblelicious slab he called his whip.

Leaning towards Bison for now. A lot of Balrogs here and it's a matchup I'm comfortable with.

Gotta get ready soon.

MIMIC said:
:lol @ the video where you Perfect'd Rose TWICE.

I noticed that you never run and then stop. You should try it; it really throws your opponent off. Keep them guessing (is he coming at me?)
I do stop now.. those are pretty old.. I bait a bit but i need to time it better.. sometimes i go too fast then they see it coming and throw me :(

MIMIC

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Thanks for the video!

How do you map everything?

Man.. sliding your finger.. I use a madcatz pad.. you think it'd be easier but it looks more difficult sometimes.

When I found this easier way to do the RSF, I remapped my buttons:

X = LP
Y = PPP (used to be MP)
A = LK
B = MK
LB = HK (I rarely ever use the left bumper...I prolly should just change it to "No Function")
LT = Focus Attack
RB = MP (used to be PPP)
RT = KKK

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
how many hits do you have to do in fuerte's trial? With that technique I got 3 hits after about 5 minutes of practice. What's the max amount of hits you can get?

Timedog said:
how many hits do you have to do in fuerte's trial? With that technique I got 3 hits after about 5 minutes of practice. What's the max amount of hits you can get?

Come on man, you're the best player on the west coast, you should know this1!!

MIMIC

Banned
Timedog said:

Fuerte's trial requires 3 hits. Personally, I can get 3 on demand and 4 if I'm lucky (cuz I always screw up the QCF....something I have to work on)

Seriously considering giving up on Cammy. Her bag of tricks only goes so far. Not only that, I'm really streaky with her; I'll destroy a couple guys in a row, then get perfected/ultra'd/ make stupid mistakes that cost me 60% of me life (Go to hell Zangief and Sagat). I have a high tolerance -- I main Guile, ffs -- but sometimes she makes me want to throw my stick, ugh. Her bad matchups are just AWFUL - I always feel like I have a chance with Guile.

Maybe I just need more practice with my stick. Still not 100% comfortable with QCF'ers, SRK's and keeping my fingers properly placed doesn't always happen for 24/7. Execution problems make me RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE, especially when I know what would've worked/beat an opponent's move. I'm gonna try and get some capture stuff so people can critique my Cammy and show me where to improve.

Championship mode has stopped resetting my GP (knock on wood), but some asshole 4000 GP sagat dc'd on me after I kicked his ass with Cammy, yet I got a "did not complete" message and a 1% percent DC ratio. You're pushing me, Crapcom.

Just for you, farms:

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Double edit: lol, I just realized I still haven't bothered to unlock Seth. Why no playtime requirement also, I've sunk 250hrs+ into this, I don't feel like grinding through arcade :p. Maybe I just won't unlock blue man group, I don't use him anyway.

TRIPLE EDIT: I put some fear you can't forget for your Mike Bison, find.

Killa Sasa said:
Seriously considering giving up on Cammy. Her bag of tricks only goes so far. Not only that, I'm really streaky with her; I'll destroy a couple guys in a row, then get perfected/ultra'd/ make stupid mistakes that cost me 60% of me life (Go to hell Zangief and Sagat). I have a high tolerance -- I main Guile, ffs -- but sometimes she makes me want to throw my stick, ugh. Her bad matchups are just AWFUL - I always feel like I have a chance with Guile.

Maybe I just need more practice with my stick. Still not 100% comfortable with QCF'ers, SRK's and keeping my fingers properly placed doesn't always happen for 24/7. Execution problems make me RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE, especially when I know what would've worked/beat an opponent's move. I'm gonna try and get some capture stuff so people can critique my Cammy and show me where to improve.

Championship mode has stopped resetting my GP (knock on wood), but some asshole 4000 GP sagat dc'd on me after I kicked his ass with Cammy, yet I got a "did not complete" message and a 1% percent DC ratio. You're pushing me, Crapcom.

More rage plz

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
FindMyFarms said:
Come on man, you're the best player on the west coast, you should know this1!!

I only play Ryu. Once in awhile I'll play guile in player matches if i'm destroying the other guy. The only time I've played the other characters is in unlocking seth or fucking around once or twice.

Buy an xbox and I'll finish you off RIGHT quick with my 23 hit super into ultra combo. I'm worse than a pro seth PLAYER when I've got meter. IT'S inevitable. I'm simply THE best there is.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wow its weird to be back. Been banned for 3 months.....

How is it going guys? I was ultra active in the prelaunch thread. Since the launch I have played the game too much for my own good. Ended up getting the LE for the 360 and the normal edition for the ps3. Kept my vshg for my ps3 and got a TE stick for the 360.

My progression since launch has been

Maining balrog -> trying to main akuma and failing -> maining rufus

Timedog said:
I only play Ryu. Once in awhile I'll play guile in player matches if i'm destroying the other guy. The only time I've played the other characters is in unlocking seth or fucking around once or twice.

Buy an xbox and I'll finish you off RIGHT quick with my 23 hit super into ultra combo. I'm worse than a pro seth PLAYER when I've got meter. IT'S inevitable. I'm simply THE best there is.

How much for the finish? Can I finish anywhere I want? And don't worry, you'll only need about 10 hits to finish me "off" :p

MThanded said:

Barlog sucks. He's only for them online noobs.

Askia47

MThanded said:

How is it going guys? I was ultra active in the prelaunch thread. Since the launch I have played the game too much for my own good. Ended up getting the LE for the 360 and the normal edition for the ps3. Kept my vshg for my ps3 and got a TE stick for the 360.

Holy Shit! Welcome Back!

Yeah the game is crack lol

MThanded said:

Welcome back, I missed you.
How's school?

Won

Not being able to save all my final victories (or even more important, my losses) really starts to bother me....

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
FindMyFarms said:
How much for the finish? Can I finish anywhere I want? And don't worry, you'll only need about 10 hits to finish me "off" :p

Oh, so you want a money match? I've heard stories from another GAFFER about you getting money shotted, so I'm not too scared. Afterwards I'll upload the replay for GAF to see.

Timedog said:
Oh, so you want a money match? I've heard stories from another GAFFER about you getting money shotted, so I'm not too scared. Afterwards I'll upload the replay for GAF to see.

Money match it is. Imma fadc then a2m you chump! You upload on gaf, I'll upload on toob ate!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
MThanded said:

y0 dogg

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
haunts said:

Whats good? Did i miss anything??? lol. Every now and then I would lurk and look around in the thread.

Oh yeah. Hell yes at MVC2!! I have 3 dreamcasts because of that game and sadly none of them work anymore...

Ploid 3.0

"Mmm, mashing out DPs in between block strings and links feels so good."

I hate DP for that. I'm scared to do more than two hit combos against Ryu because of it. But against one particular friend it's good bait to start to combo then stop after the second attack and punish the DP. BobWhite (Itwasfunny) was fuming on Gafchat about that one day hah.

BitchTits

Yeah it seems characters with a strong DP move have an advantage there that a lot of other characters don't have. I imagine the average shoto-player wiggling the pad furiously and hammering punch every time they get hit.

Also, what's a good anti-air for Chun-Li when you have no EX bar for SBK and the opponent is right on top of you, not coming at you?

Teknopathetic said:
Mmm, mashing out DPs in between block strings and links feels so good.

I just heard a podcast on Gootecks about this. Kinda crazy how tight block string timing is =\ an EX SRK hurts so much and if you're timing aint right you just got eat with hot sauce.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
FindMyFarms said:
Money match it is. Imma fadc then a2m you chump! You upload on gaf, I'll upload on toob ate!

Oh, I think you'll be especially surprised by my Ryu in that regard.

sf4_ken_ass_f291.png

myDingling said:
I just heard a podcast on Gootecks about this. Kinda crazy how tight block string timing is =\ an EX SRK hurts so much and if you're timing aint right you just got eat with hot sauce.

ex SRK hits softer than hp SRK.

Timedog said:
Oh, I think you'll be especially surprised by my Ryu in that regard.

sf4_ken_ass_f291.png

ex SRK hits softer than hp SRK.

Really? Even kens? It always feels like it does so much. What's the main reason to use it? Is it faster? For the fadc?

Also, I like your bragging I wanna play you now, haha! You're chickenydinner? Didn't we play in the xbox tourney? You were on my friends list at one point...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
myDingling said:
Really? Even kens? It always feels like it does so much. What's the main reason to use it? Is it faster? For the fadc?

Also, I like your bragging I wanna play you now, haha! You're chickenydinner? Didn't we play in the xbox tourney? You were on my friends list at one point...

I think Ken's also doesn't do as much damage, but I'm not sure. It comes out faster and has an improved hitbox so it's less vulnerable. It's also easier to FACD > Ultra with. It also has more horizontal range. This is all with Ryu, again, i'm not sure about Ken.

The only time I use it is to get out of a situation with like zangief or fuerte where I'm waking up and they're crossing me up. The horizontal range is good enough that it propels me out of the area and they whiff whatever move they were trying to do. I also use it when I think I'm gonna trade hits on an opponent jump-in with a normal SRK and I don't have ultra or can't afford the life lost from the trade.

At least with Ryu his EX SRK is mostly a waste of super meter IMO.

Killa Sasa said:

I alt Cammy. I don't think she has a weak matchup. I got my 10 ranked win achievement with her. I actually went on a 39 win streak with her at that time.

Post a match, we'll see what's up. If you're just flowcharting her, it's pretty easy to get beat. She can be as generic and predictable as Ryu/Ken if you're not careful to keep mixing it up.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So who wants to challenge the #1 Ryu on the West Coast? Anybody on XBL right now? I'm gonna go smoke and I hope I have 20 requests by the time I get back. If you win, you'll officially be the best on GAF and the West Coast and you'll be next in line to fight Justin Wong. I'll be on in about 10 minutes.

XBL: chickeny dinner

Attack me if you dare!

comrade

RevenantKioku said:
Made some videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD-ZovqW0xI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzejrbmzm8o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3fFjb1A4mc

But I changed the direction in QuickTime and they come out backwards still in Youtube? What the fuck?
That first fight was ridiculous. Sickest Blanka I've ever seen. j.HP -> electricity = Pro Tip?

bold edit: If you want all future images to be correct left-to-right, you can use the Photo Booth > Edit > Auto Flip New Photos menu command. guess this only works on images

The fix they give for flipping the video back with Quicktime only works on playback. You'd need something like VirtualDub to encode it again and just use a filter to mirror the image.

made it to 6000GP somehow. not easy on PSN considering the ugly glitch that stopped hitting me for about two days now. its hard to stop playing sometimes :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Yeah, I just do not see an option in iMovie to actually flip the video. Silly. And yeah, no mirror option for videos in Photo Booth is silly.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Oh, so just record in iMovie. Brilliant! Will do that from now on, I guess. Would be nice to actually have these videos fixed but SF4 makes sense backwards.

comrade

RevenantKioku said:
Oh, so just record in iMovie. Brilliant! Will do that from now on, I guess. Would be nice to actually have these videos fixed but SF4 makes sense backwards.
I sent you a PM. I can try to fix those videos if you want to send me the clips. If the raw files aren't too big send those to keep the quality.

LakeEarth

Technically not a combo if he can hit you in the middle of it :p

Is it just me, or are some of the weaker players reaching G2? When I hit G2 I couldn't win a tourney in my life, today I won 4. Beat a 10k Honda today, though he's disadvantaged against Abel, constantly crossed him up because he can't do much against it, and got lucky with my spacing so that when he buttstomped on wakeup he landed right in front of me for an easy d.fp -> ultra. I was still happy, most 10k players rape me.

KevinCow

Banned
Whoever said El Fuerte is extremely annoying to fight, I have to agree. His entire game is a guessing game, especially if you get knocked down. He just keeps doing the slide, press, or grab, and the only way out of it is to correctly guess whether to block high, block low, or jump away.

KevinCow said:
Whoever said El Fuerte is extremely annoying to fight, I have to agree. His entire game is a guessing game, especially if you get knocked down. He just keeps doing the slide, press, or grab, and the only way out of it is to correctly guess whether to block high, block low, or jump away.

If you wake up backdash it'll be 50/50 : throw catches you, but you dodge the rest.

Also, jumping forward or back will get you caught by his throw, you have to jump straight up.

Won

FindMyFarms said:
If you wake up backdash it'll be 50/50 : throw catches you, but you dodge the rest.

NO NOT TRUE DON'T TELL THEM ALL THE SECRETS OMG WHAT DO I DO NOW?

I hate backdash invincibilty. :(

Top Bottom