• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

LakeEarth

Arde5643 said:
EX Tornado throw is invincible to hit, not sure if EX Messiah Kick has throw invincibility or not like SRKs.
I'm not sure, but EX TT is sick against electricity spamming Blankas. That one change in strategy has turned my losses against Blanka to majority wins.

Man, I'm hella rusty.

And the matchmaking on PSN championship is just like before (or is it because not many are playing). Also, why don't they segregate the tiers of tournament players? It seems like anyone can play anyone.

LakeEarth said:
I'm not sure, but EX TT is sick against electricity spamming Blankas. That one change in strategy has turned my losses against Blanka to majority wins.

If you can't counter messiah w/ the throw, you can always roll the fuck outta there.

Relix said:
I don't know who made this but damn did it make me laugh.

pacquiaohattonquit.jpg

Rofls

daegan

So until checking out RK's youtube (saw he was a Sak player too :D) I didn't even think about trying to use the camera in my Mac to record my matches...

Gonna try a few next time I play.

(Also had the most fun match ever vs. a Viper in the second round of G3... He wins one, I win one, we trade hits all through the third round, he whiffs the ultra and I knock him down on the way down, wakeup, he jumps to throw a burning kick, his ground...he hits me with a c+lk when I hit him with a c+hk...he wins lol)

YakiSOBA

How do you guys place your fingers when playing on a stick... like when you want to FADC, do you hit with thumb+middle finger?

tips plz!

Jason

YakiSOBA said:
How do you guys place your fingers when playing on a stick... like when you want to FADC, do you hit with thumb+middle finger?

tips plz!

I use my index and middle finger for throws and focus attacks.

YakiSOBA

hmm ic ic.. do you press all 3 punches/kicks for ultras? I tend to hit the 3punch/kick button instead of manually hitting all 3 individual punches, but I think thats my problem, cuz my fingers are everywhere scrambling to get back to the regular buttons :S

kiryogi

Banned
For any ps3 owners interested, add me to your psn list and i'll give you an invite to the gafchat. I'll be on for a bit settling a team tournament battle and climbing the ranks in championship mode.

psn: kiryogi

Stalfos

YakiSOBA said:
hmm ic ic.. do you press all 3 punches/kicks for ultras? I tend to hit the 3punch/kick button instead of manually hitting all 3 individual punches, but I think thats my problem, cuz my fingers are everywhere scrambling to get back to the regular buttons :S
I started out using the 3punch/kick button when I was first learning to use a stick but I think its easier to just hit all 3 at once.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Spiderjericho said:
Hey, MTHanded, I sent you a friend request on PSN. Accept, and I'll be able to invite you to the SFIV GAFchat.
Once I get back home tomorrow I will accept. Thanks!

Glix

I'm at 1500 CP, I've been winning a ton lately.

My Gief has all kinds of issues with charge characters, but really, its Cammy and Blanka who drive me totally nuts.

I'm probably 3-7 against Cammy's and 1-20 against Blanka. The Blanka thing is, like, in my head now, which psyches me out even more when I play one.

This game is so great.

BitchTits

After the patch, connect speeds are more visible, but I still find the best indicator as to connection speed is how long it takes to enter the 'lobby' after pressing A on the match select screen (360 version).

I've had some one bar connections that were fine, two bar that you would think were 5 bar, and some stinking 4 bar connections. In fact, I trust 2 and 3 bar more than 4 bar.

Threi

notag
ok seriously how much goddamn GP does it take to upload a replay?

I just won a G2 tourney netting me 37K CP, with no option to replay.

WTH mang

feels to good to beat the shit out of ranked boosters and pluggers. they cant escape me in championship mode, hahahhaahhahahhahahhahaah!!!!!1111

oh, i think i need a break.

yeb

Ran into haunts in championship mode today and got wrecked. I think I need more practice against good Sagats. I'm honestly surprised he isn't much more common online. He's the most obvious top tier character, he doesn't need to be all that fancy, he has tons of life for making mistakes and easy ultra setups, but people don't pick him. Instead everybody uses Ryu, Ken, Blanka, Bison, Balrog and Lariatman.

I have a kinda funny replay up right now against a turbo Bison, around 56k BP.

LakeEarth

I swear, I STILL haven't faced a really good Sagat online. I can only think of one time where someone did a "real" ultra set-up, and it whiffed. Maybe I should pick him up. :lol

I'm sure Haunts would destroy me.

BigAT

Can anyone recommend some good Blanka videos? I'm trying to pick up some advanced tactics for him and haven't been able to find much.

Championship mode seems like level grinding. And the only way it filters is by division G3, G2, G1. I was in G3C and was playing people from A. They have 1000+ GP, I don't think it's necessarily fair.

I'm only at 500+ GP (since I don't really have much time to play the game now a days).

I started a bracket and managed to beat two 1000+ GP opponents (an Akuma and Chun-Li). After beating the Chun-Li, something weird happened. It said because of the way the matched ended, I had to go back to the first match and lost 4000CP. I couldn't understand why. Did my opponent disconnect?

The match was pretty beastly two. In the second round, he derr'd me by running backwards...and baiting out the fireball. I forgot Chun Li could Ultra from full screen away (must be nice) and hit. The next round, he got me with the low short, ex lightning leg, ultra. I was a tick from death...and cross him up, two low jab, shoryuken and managed to get enough meter to super cancel into the fireball. I was so happy. It was my Daigo moment (even though it wasn't anything special).

And Sagat is a beast for me, as all they do is back away and tiger. With Ryu, I have to dance around them and hope he's a retard.

Spiderjericho said:
And Sagat is a beast for me, as all they do is back away and tiger. With Ryu, I have to dance around them and hope he's a retard.
Just jump straight up or duck. Eventually they get bored and decide to have an actual fight with you.

comrade

LakeEarth said:
I swear, I STILL haven't faced a really good Sagat online. I can only think of one time where someone did a "real" ultra set-up, and it whiffed. Maybe I should pick him up. :lol

I think it's his walk speed that most people don't like. That's the only negative thing I hear about him. I always whiff his s.RH -> s.RH -> Ultra so I quit using him.:lol

Won

yeb said:
Ran into haunts in championship mode today and got wrecked. I think I need more practice against good Sagats. I'm honestly surprised he isn't much more common online. He's the most obvious top tier character, he doesn't need to be all that fancy, he has tons of life for making mistakes and easy ultra setups, but people don't pick him. Instead everybody uses Ryu, Ken, Blanka, Bison, Balrog and Lariatman.

I actually tried to play Sagat several times with my low skills, but after one round of Arcade mode I always want to quit. On a base level he is waaaay too boring to play. :(

That said I finally saw some better Sagats. One did some crazy combo in the third round.("oh yeah, there is still that ultra coming after all that damage!" *drops controller*)
Another threw that kara knee thingy at me....brrrrr

Zabka

yeb said:
Ryu's just an easier, faster character to play. Great air attacks, some of the best normals, more/easier Ultra setups, ridiculous crossup abilities, and I swear that the back half of his body is invincible on his jump-ins. A lot of people play him as a total jab-jab-jab, tick throwing machine.

I'm surprised they didn't give him a god damn air throw.

KevinCow

Banned
Threi, fuck you and your fucking Bison and Honda.

And the hitboxes in this game are so wonky. I swear there were like 20 times where it looked like something should have hit you but didn't. And there were times when I was standing right next to you, tried to throw, my throw whiffed, but you threw me while I was stuck in my whiffed throw animation. Such bullshit!

Threi

notag
KevinCow said:
Threi, fuck you and your fucking Bison and Honda.

And the hitboxes in this game are so wonky. I swear there were like 20 times where it looked like something should have hit you but didn't. And there were times when I was standing right next to you, tried to throw, my throw whiffed, but you threw me while I was stuck in my whiffed throw animation. Such bullshit!
u mad?

but seriously you are getting better, i am impressed :O

btw you are using honda, don't throw, JAB OICHI >=D

KevinCow

Banned
Jab ochio misses for me sometimes for no fucking reason. Like it happened several times when I played you. I'd be RIGHT NEXT TO YOU, and it would miss. Meanwhile, yours would land on me from like one and a half arm's lengths away.

Plus, a throw cancels another throw, whereas the ochio loses to a throw. So when playing against someone who throws a lot, I like to keep on the throw to tech your throws when I can.

Threi

notag
ok im not really sure what to make of this:

I am fighting a random guy in player matches, i go about 6-0 against various characters he uses.

He then switches to gief. The matches go roughly the same, but due to his stamina he always seems to win, and winds up not only catching up, but beating me 11-8 IIRC.

I then switch to Gief as a joke, and against his boxer he does better than before due to him knowing all the weaknesses, but the funny thing is i still won. Due to lariat spam and focus attacks no less.

He stays on Boxer and I switch to Bison and beat him again and then close the room due to me getting tired.

i just don't know what to say about Gief. I don't want to say he's overpowered, but that match really made me consider it...

KevinCow said:
Jab ochio misses for me sometimes for no fucking reason. Like it happened several times when I played you. I'd be RIGHT NEXT TO YOU, and it would miss. Meanwhile, yours would land on me from like one and a half arm's lengths away.

Plus, a throw cancels another throw, whereas the ochio loses to a throw. So when playing against someone who throws a lot, I like to keep on the throw to tech your throws when I can.
from what i saw you were trying too early to tech my throws. and i dont think every char has the same grab range.

yeb said:

im maining sagat, but also like to play around with guile, gen and dan.

i think most people dislike his walk speed and huge model. its easier to mash away with ryu in close combat and be mobile at all situations. newbie sagats also tend to eat alot of jump-ins, which gets them destroyed pretty fast. sagat will stay in japan a while longer.

Spiderjericho said:
Championship mode seems like level grinding. And the only way it filters is by division G3, G2, G1. I was in G3C and was playing people from A. They have 1000+ GP, I don't think it's necessarily fair.

The thing that really annoys me is not getting more credit for knocking off someone with a significant amount more GP than me.

Threi said:
i just don't know what to say about Gief. I don't want to say he's overpowered, but that match really made me consider it...

I fought two in a row today (Giefs). The first I beat because he was terrible. The second wasn't very good, but after just a few hits I was almost toast. Got him low and one slip (low block and he jumped in) and I lost. He and Sagat give me problems with their stamina and damage alone, not to mention their moveset.

Threi said:
ok im not really sure what to make of this:

I am fighting a random guy in player matches, i go about 6-0 against various characters he uses.

He then switches to gief. The matches go roughly the same, but due to his stamina he always seems to win, and winds up not only catching up, but beating me 11-8 IIRC.

I then switch to Gief as a joke, and against his boxer he does better than before due to him knowing all the weaknesses, but the funny thing is i still won. Due to lariat spam and focus attacks no less.

He stays on Boxer and I switch to Bison and beat him again and then close the room due to me getting tired.

from what i saw you were trying too early to tech my throws. and i dont think every char has the same grab range.

Nah you're just both scrubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfG66FY95L8

^ learn to feel sorry for the Gief :(

So I was playing sf4 locals today and I ALWAYS laugh when this happens. I was Akuma with 100% ultra bar, he was seth with 80% life. I ultra'd him, and watching his life bar go ALL THE WAY down to zero has got to be the most satisfying thing ever lol! :lol

yeb said:

I think Sagat is noob friendly to people that have excelled at Street Fighter(or even other fighting games) before and are just new to sf4, but NOT noob friendly to people picking up SF4 as their first SF or after a long hiatus.

He's a very fundamental character with simple strengths, so if you have a great grasp on spacing, zoning, pokes, and punishing dumb mistakes, you can start to easily dominate with Sagat within an hour of picking up the game.

I too have run into very few Sagats online, the only 2 I met turned out to be monsters (EmblemLord psn) However, if you get together with your local SF4 community or start entering tourneys, you'll start to see them by the dozens.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
LakeEarth said:

I never get to play good Ryus, Kens, or Sagats. 99% of them are the very definition of "flowchart scrub." I'm usually floored when I play someone using one of them who knows what they're doing. :lol

Also in all this time since release, I think I've played maybe one Dhalsim user in a non-friends match. Never get to play many Fei-Long, Sakura, Dan, Chun-Li, or Vega users either, for that matter.

EC Throwdown results:

1.Marn (rufus/sagat)
2.Joe (sagat)
3.Fascinating (ryu)
4.Gootecks (balrog)
5.Arturo (seth/sim)
5.Moose (balrog)
7.Dr.Chaos (ken)
7.Mike Ross (honda)
9.Eric Kim (sagat)
9.Nestor (sagat)
9.Paul Wall? (akuma)
9.Sanford? (ken)

Edit: I bait and punish EX messiahs all the time. Aint nothin'.... :3
When are you getting on psn again?

GalacticAE said:
EC Throwdown results:

1.Marn (rufus/sagat)
2.Joe (sagat)
3.Fascinating (ryu)
4.Gootecks (balrog)
5.Arturo (seth/sim)
5.Moose (balrog)
7.Dr.Chaos (ken)
7.Mike Ross (honda)
9.Eric Kim (sagat)
9.Nestor (sagat)
9.Paul Wall? (akuma)
9.Sanford? (ken)

Edit: I bait and punish EX messiahs all the time. Aint nothin'.... :3
When are you getting on psn again?

YEB do you see now? rofl Also wow at Mike Ross doing kinda bad (compared to his earlier performances)

Galactic, you can actually safe jump Rufus, as per SRK guide That's the main way I get Rufus players to waste ex bar and life bar.

I'm gonna be on PSN tomorrow night(monday) after 10pm ct to play my tourney match and hopefully a few casuals.

I'd be on more, but I'm busy playing casuals and>>Winning Dallas Ranbats<< :p. Though I will admit that Buk might have stopped trying since he's guaranteed the pot money, but Amodf and Vietnamazing(2d ddr) are still in it for the 2nd and 3rd money.

Come to the May 23rd UFO tourney!

Lyte Edge said:
I never get to play good Ryus, Kens, or Sagats. 99% of them are the very definition of "flowchart scrub." I'm usually floored when I play someone using one of them who knows what they're doing. :lol

Also in all this time since release, I think I've played maybe one Dhalsim user in a non-friends match. Never get to play many Fei-Long, Sakura, Dan, Chun-Li, or Vega users either, for that matter.

I main Chun, and I would love to play with gaffers, but this whole living in Asia thing really sucks. Don't want to play shitty 1 bar matches.

Sanjay sux

FindMyFarms said:
YEB do you see now? rofl Also wow at Mike Ross doing kinda bad (compared to his earlier performances)

Galactic, you can actually safe jump Rufus, as per SRK guide That's the main way I get Rufus players to waste ex bar and life bar.

I'm gonna be on PSN tomorrow night(monday) after 10pm ct to play my tourney match and hopefully a few casuals.

I'd be on more, but I'm busy playing casuals and>>Winning Dallas Ranbats<< :p. Though I will admit that Buk might have stopped trying since he's guaranteed the pot money, but Amodf and Vietnamazing(2d ddr) are still in it for the 2nd and 3rd money.

Come to the May 23rd UFO tourney!

I've been wanting to hit up UFO so bad. My trip to DFW got postponed for now too but I definitely want to go soon and hang out at buk's with everyone. Gotta save up for Evo too. Apparently I'm gonna pitch in for strippers or something as well. :/

There's another local tourney this Sat at 11am. Waaay early for me on a Saturday especially when I have to drive into town. But lots of new comp will be there so I'm gonna drag myself out of bed.

When does your ranbat season end?

Sanjay

Pop On Arrival said:
I main Chun, and I would love to play with gaffers, but this whole living in Asia thing really sucks. Don't want to play shitty 1 bar matches.

Sanjay sux

Look man its not my fault, I'm just to good with 1 bar lag. My secret jumping hard kick, low hard kick is just a unstoppable tactic!

Dartastic

I got a stick. I'm getting better now that I've got a stick. I can consistently get Ryu's SRK FADC Ultra combo when I'm facing the right. I beat my cousin twice that way tonight. Rehehehehe. :D

Jirotrom

FOOOOOK!!!! My stick is busted, A button registars as X and my sticks down and right motions no longer work. I opened it up to see if there was interferance any where but cant figure it out. Does anyone know how to repair arcade sticks, any one here in Houston TX? If so please PM me, you dont even have to be in Houston, Im going to try and contact the guy that built my stick as well but I havent spoken with him in a while.

Please PM if you can help because asa of now I cant play fighters :/

GalacticAE said:
I've been wanting to hit up UFO so bad. My trip to DFW got postponed for now too but I definitely want to go soon and hang out at buk's with everyone. Gotta save up for Evo too. Apparently I'm gonna pitch in for strippers or something as well. :/

There's another local tourney this Sat at 11am. Waaay early for me on a Saturday especially when I have to drive into town. But lots of new comp will be there so I'm gonna drag myself out of bed.

When does your ranbat season end?

I feel you man, but don't worry if you show up a little late. I left Dallas at 8 am to get to Tx Trashday in Houson at 12 am because they said the tourney started at 1 and I wanted to be a little early. Guess when the first match happened though? 6pm. FML

Next week is actually going to be the last ranbat. I have no chance at winning since I've only been to like 3 and accumulated 14 or so points, but I don't mind playing the role of spoiler ;)

Also, pitching for strippers is MANDATORY at Vegas. If it turns out she doubles as a hooker and your crew is gonna run train on her, always remember not to cut in line. Protip - predrink/get blazed/etc. before hittin the clubs/bars, shits wayyyy overpriced over there.

Sanjay said:
Look man its not my fault, I'm just to good with 1 bar lag. My secret jumping hard kick, low hard kick is just a unstoppable tactic!

I notice that our matches are also celebrations of lag, are you on 56k or something?

I decided to forsake a little sleep and being bright eyed for my students tomorrow and play a championship bracket.

It went like Ryu, Ken, Ryu (and myself using Ryu). The first two opponents had 1000+ GP (the first 1800, the second 1000). The first was an okay Ryu. The second was a flowchart Ken. I was like WTF. At first, I had no clue what his game plan was until I saw the random Fierce SRKs.

It sure takes a lot of grinding to get to points. But like I was telling my girl today, my biggest problem with this game is I love it but just don't have the time. I looked at my time and it was 69 hours (probably another 20 hours or less on Xbox...most of it single player and challenge).

I listened to the latest Street Fighter podcast, and these players aren't working, they're just playing SF all day. I can't do that with my military instructing job and the woman.

And there isn't a G1? So there's only a G3, G2 and that's it? And since you don't lost GP for losing matches, they should at least have the way you get more points by beating higher GP having opponents.

And I fear this thread is going to slow down once MVC2, Blazblue and KOF XII drop.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
i was wondering this when i listened to the podcast. how the fuck don't they have jobs? they can't live off winning a couple hundred bucks in a tournament here and there. how does this make ANY sense? I want to do whatever they're doing.

Spiderjericho said:
I decided to forsake a little sleep and being bright eyed for my students tomorrow and play a championship bracket.

It went like Ryu, Ken, Ryu (and myself using Ryu). The first two opponents had 1000+ GP (the first 1800, the second 1000). The first was an okay Ryu. The second was a flowchart Ken. I was like WTF. At first, I had no clue what his game plan was until I saw the random Fierce SRKs.

It sure takes a lot of grinding to get to points. But like I was telling my girl today, my biggest problem with this game is I love it but just don't have the time. I looked at my time and it was 69 hours (probably another 20 hours or less on Xbox...most of it single player and challenge).

I listened to the latest Street Fighter podcast, and these players aren't working, they're just playing SF all day. I can't do that with my military instructing job and the woman.

And there isn't a G1? So there's only a G3, G2 and that's it? And since you don't lost GP for losing matches, they should at least have the way you get more points by beating higher GP having opponents.

And I fear this thread is going to slow down once MVC2, Blazblue and KOF XII drop.

Nah BlazBlue has a diff target.. more guilty Gear players.. MvC2 and KoF XII maybe.. but SF4 will be like 3rd strike.. won't die for a long time.

Also there is a G1 and a S tier..

G1 is at 15,000 GP.. The top 15 or so on XBOX360 are already there but like Saqs mentioned they can't get any matches in because no games are available since so few are there yet (Saq's is at 15k.. he's in 8th on XBL standings for GP).

In G1.. I think you still don't lose points.. I think in S you do.

Don't worry.. it will take you a while to get through G2 and those will probably match your play style a bit more.

I struggle in G2 :(

Timedog said:
i was wondering this when i listened to the podcast. how the fuck don't they have jobs? they can't live off winning a couple hundred bucks in a tournament here and there. how does this make ANY sense? I want to do whatever they're doing.

Thats what I want to know.. the effers live in Expensive ass California too :p

Also why do I see videos and these people think they are the utter shits and have saggy pants or whip out the 'n' word every 5 seconds thinking they are going far in life?? I just don't get it.. Do they think SF4 on their resume is going to show something?

Sorry.. just always annoyed me. Its like a haven for stupidity.. And thats what I fear about seeing at Evo..

Top Bottom