• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
SiegfriedFM said:
Yes there is. Go into sound options and set cutscenes and the game itself to JP or EN. After beating it once, you can also set voices for individual characters.
Is that English for the menus as well?
If there are no English menus I've basically wasted £75:lol

Nemesis_

This does not bode well for my copy of RE5 that's being shipped. Mind you, Play Asia guaranteed to me via email that it'd be in English.

If SF4 is anything to go by, I'm in trouble (but now there's conflicting reports >_> WHO TO BELIEVE?!?!?!)

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Nemesis556 said:
This does not bode well for my copy of RE5 that's being shipped. Mind you, Play Asia guaranteed to me via email that it'd be in English.

If SF4 is anything to go by, I'm in trouble (but now there's conflicting reports >_> WHO TO BELIEVE?!?!?!)
Are you talking about the Asian versions? the Asian versions are in English. It's the JPN versions we need to worry about.

My order at Play-Asia had the icon saying available/ready for shipping etc. this morning. It's disappeared now though.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
sp0rsk said:
I suck at linking combos, some of the stuff in the hard trial mode i can get like 1 out of 300 times right :/

Online play is flawless, with the people i played anyway.

double tap!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
early positive online impressions make me HYPEE

i hope someone with a lot of fighting game experience takes a crack at it so we can really see how it plays online at higher levels.

Dave Long

Banned
So now that I've cooled down over stick availability, the next question I'm still asking myself is PS3 or 360? I know I'll know more people playing on 360, but PS3 doesn't break. Decisions... decisions...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Dave Long said:
So now that I've cooled down over stick availability, the next question I'm still asking myself is PS3 or 360? I know I'll know more people playing on 360, but PS3 doesn't break. Decisions... decisions...

how long have you had your 360?

dexterslu

Dave Long said:

online is a question as well, I'm sure both will have a thriving community but I assume the 360's will be much larger..

Dave Long said:

I went back and forth for a while and went with the PS3 version. I have HD Remix for the PS3 already, I prefer trophies over achievements (dont ask me why...) and both of my 360's appear to be on their last legs. Plus since playing HD remix I've made a lot of friends on PSN to play with. I'll pick up the 360 version later down the line and hopefully can scrape up a 2nd TE stick too.

Dave Long

Banned
jon bones said:
how long have you had your 360?
It's the third one I've had since launch. Actually... fourth... I bought this one like a year ago IIRC and sold the second refurb.

The other thing is I'm probably more excited to play King of Fighters XII, so wherever I invest in a stick is where I'm going to play that, too.

I play shooters pretty regularly and right now that seems like Xbox 360 is the way to go.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dave Long said:

Come on, be a S tier man. Go with both. :D

I guess it's up to how many of your friends are getting it and for which system. Time to take a poll. If you want to play Gaffers...we seem split. Which is why I'm getting both. Plus, I'm a whore. =/

:(

No one can answer about how to use cancels and dash cancels and how they work? :(

I'm so newb to those types of things .. I guess because stuff like SF2THDR really don't use these elements or they do and I have had no clue :p

mintylurb

akachan ningen said:
Is that usually faster? I thought people just did that so they didn't have to listen to the 360's dvd drive.
Usually faster. Although, I've read that with certain games you won't notice much difference(halo 3) and some games won't even play if installed.

I only have this wrestling game installed and its load time was decreased by at least 4 secs.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
TurtleSnatcher said:
:(

No one can answer about how to use cancels and dash cancels and how they work? :(

I'm so newb to those types of things .. I guess because stuff like SF2THDR really don't use these elements or they do and I have had no clue :p

FADCing allows you to cancel a special move and recover before your opponent so you can follow up with more attacks. The most basic example in SFIV is with Ryu. Dragon Punch, Focus Attack Dash Cancel (hold MP + MK, tap forward twice), Ultra. The first hit of his Dragon will pop them up, but you will cancel out of your Dragon and stay on the ground where you will have enough time to pull off an Ultra before they hit the ground.

haunts said:
FADCing allows you to cancel a special move and recover before your opponent so you can follow up with more attacks. The most basic example in SFIV is with Ryu. Dragon Punch, Focus Attack Dash Cancel (hold MP + MK, tap forward twice), Ultra. The first hit of his Dragon will pop them up, but you will cancel out of your Dragon and stay on the ground where you will have enough time to pull off an Ultra before they hit the ground.
Holy heck.. Okay.. I gotta get some quick fingers..

To pull that off after the first part of the DP hits will be hard.

I noticed someone doing that in a Vega (Claw) video .. They cancelled out of a roll and then instantly moved into a full bar special Wall dive. They were completely faked out and kept blocking because of the roll and it went so fast that the Vega (Claw) moved right into the Super Izuna Drop.

It was pretty epic. I think Bebop did it.

Well, the good thing about FADCs is that in that shoryuken instance, you're going to want to FADC it regardless of it hits. If the other guy blocks it and its a regular shoryuken, you're going to pay big time, so you want to safe and dash forward for the throw anyway. In that case, you really only need to get good at the specific timing, instead of having to worry so much about hit confirmation.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Snapshot King said:
Well, the good thing about FADCs is that in that shoryuken instance, you're going to want to FADC it regardless of it hits. If the other guy blocks it and its a regular shoryuken, you're going to pay big time, so you want to safe and dash forward for the throw anyway. In that case, you really only need to get good at the specific timing, instead of having to worry so much about hit confirmation.

Yeah I was just going to post something similar. You want to do it anyway if you have the stock with Ryu, because even if they block you are safe.

There are alot of applications for the Focus Attack.. took me like 2 months to get comfortable with it but everyone here will pick it up quick cause all the info is out there now.

haunts said:
Yeah I was just going to post something similar. You want to do it anyway if you have the stock with Ryu, because even if they block you are safe.

There are alot of applications for the Focus Attack.. took me like 2 months to get comfortable with it but everyone here will pick it up quick cause all the info is out there now.
So even if it hits I should do it? Won't that hurt me because I then won't finish my DP and get maximum damage on him?

I understand doing it because I have a Super or Ultra ready to punish but I'm confused on why I would do it all the time.

(Though you mentioned "If you have Stock" so I'm guessing you meant the stock in the Super/Ultra bar.)

Just confused with the post by Snapshot.

FADC when..
DP hits and you have ultra/super
DP doesnt hit and he blocks so you don't get punished

Dont FADC when..
DP hits but you don't have ultra/super ready

Right?

Kintaro

Same thing apply with Ken? It appears you can get a couple of hits out of a Fierece SRK, then FADC out of it to follow up. Just that his ultra is trickier to time than say, Ryu's? just going with videos (I NEED TO PLAYYYYYY), I'm wondering where Ken's strengths lie. Kara-throws?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
TurtleSnatcher said:
So even if it hits I should do it? Won't that hurt me because I then won't finish my DP and get maximum damage on him?

I understand doing it because I have a Super or Ultra ready to punish but I'm confused on why I would do it all the time.

(Though you mentioned "If you have Stock" so I'm guessing you meant the stock in the Super/Ultra bar.)

Just confused with the post by Snapshot.

FADC when..
DP hits and you have ultra/super
DP doesnt hit and he blocks so you don't get punished

Dont FADC when..
DP hits but you don't have ultra/super ready

Right?

You just have to keep an eye on your EX Meter/Super Bar and make the descion based on if you have an Ultra or EX meter so you can follow up with an attack. I mean if you only have two stocks to FADC and no Ultra then yeah its probably a waste but if you have three stocks, you can still follow up with EX Fireball if it hits.

I mean really with what you're saying, you shouldnt be doing DPs unless you have a clear way to land them (combo, anti air) anyway. If you dont have the meter to make it safe and follow up with an attack you shouldnt be doing it unless you know it will hit.

Kintaro said:
Same thing apply with Ken? It appears you can get a couple of hits out of a Fierece SRK, then FADC out of it to follow up. Just that his ultra is trickier to time than say, Ryu's? just going with videos (I NEED TO PLAYYYYYY), I'm wondering where Ken's strengths lie. Kara-throws?

You gotta wait fo rthe GUUUIDDE... lol.

I mean with Ken its a bit different. You can follow up with Ultra, but you have to FADC the second hit of his DP in that is the hit that pops them up, and even so his full Ultra wont hit on most characters in most situations.

Ken plays a lot differently than Ryu, thats for sure.

B-Ri

its been confirmed that the PS3 fight pads dont work on PS2 BC games.

BUT, has anyone tried to see if the fight pads work on ACTUAL PS2s?

Kintaro

haunts said:
You gotta wait fo rthe GUUUIDDE... lol.

I mean with Ken its a bit different. You can follow up with Ultra, but you have to FADC the second hit of his DP in that is the hit that pops them up, and even so his full Ultra wont hit on most characters in most situations.

Ken plays a lot differently than Ryu, thats for sure.

That sucks. =/

Okay interesting.

Can't wait to try FADC on Vega (Claw)...

Maybe I was wrong when I saw that video of someone doing a Claw Roll and then cancelling and pulling off a Super because cancelling eats up a bar so it doesn't seem possible..

He must have pulled that off really fast..

Ill see if I can find that video somewhere.

Kintaro

No_Style said:
Did you see the Ken Training video that was posted earlier? Not full Ultra, but still a nice combo.

Nah, missed it and at work at the moment. I've seen it hit into the Shinryuken uppercut portion, but not the kick combo before it though. That what you mean?

PhatSaqs

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Okay interesting.

Can't wait to try FADC on Vega (Claw)...

Maybe I was wrong when I saw that video of someone doing a Claw Roll and then cancelling and pulling off a Super because cancelling eats up a bar so it doesn't seem possible..

He must have pulled that off really fast..

Ill see if I can find that video somewhere.
He could still possibly do ultra as thats a seperate meter (Revenge) from your EX/Super meter.

Kintaro

haunts said:
what the rule?

First rule of Hype Club: Never talk outside of a Hype Club thread. You risk saying something stupid, getting banned and missing out on the fun you spent all that time getting prepped for.

I almost broke the rule myself in that stupid RE5 racist thread, but my inner General Ackbar saved me. Don't break the first rule of Hype Club.

Top Bottom