• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Saint Gregory said:
Wait wat! Please tell me this isn't true for the TE stick too :'(

It's true, for now. Sony will need to patch like they did when the VFHG came out. Write them an email.

yeb

Threi said:
because i needed to test the 360 dpad in a SF environment, i dled the SF2 demo.

....i'm screwed.
Use the analog stick, it's decent once you get used to it. The only motions I ever had a lot of trouble with using the 360's analog stick were really large motions, like double half circles or 720s.

Also, I think I read that DPs are actually easier in SF4, and that you can do them just by hitting DF, DF+Punch. Can anyone confirm that?

CAVE343

Dave Long said:
It's the third one I've had since launch. Actually... fourth... I bought this one like a year ago IIRC and sold the second refurb.

The other thing is I'm probably more excited to play King of Fighters XII, so wherever I invest in a stick is where I'm going to play that, too.

I play shooters pretty regularly and right now that seems like Xbox 360 is the way to go.
I woukd get it for 360, if it dies it'll cost you a measly 170 bucks or less for a new one. If your ps3 dies it'll set you back much more.

Chorazin

B-Ri said:

It's not MadCatz fault that the stick won't work on BC PS2 games, Sony requires a special chip that only they use to make controllers work with PS2 games, unless they patch in support for it. Hopefully they will add it in the next update since SFIV should be a big hit on the system.

B-Ri

Chorazin said:
It's not MadCatz fault that the stick won't work on BC PS2 games, Sony requires a special chip that only they use to make controllers work with PS2 games, unless they patch in support for it. Hopefully they will add it in the next update since SFIV should be a big hit on the system.

i get that, i just was looking for info on what happened with the VFHG, cause i couldnt find any info on it

Guled

Kintaro said:
First rule of Hype Club: Never talk outside of a Hype Club thread. You risk saying something stupid, getting banned and missing out on the fun you spent all that time getting prepped for.

I almost broke the rule myself in that stupid RE5 racist thread, but my inner General Ackbar saved me. Don't break the first rule of Hype Club.
but him and the others got banned in this thread

xero273

B-Ri said:
i get that, i just was looking for info on what happened with the VFHG, cause i couldnt find any info on it

When the VFHG and HRAP 3 were first release they didn't work with PS2 games on the PS3. I think it was update 1.7 that fixed the problem.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
haunts said:
I played EdMa in some casuals at Denjin last month.. super solid Ken.. I actually did a lot better than I thought I would but still lost.. lol.

That's always one of the most frustrating feelings, when you feel like you did it right, but it still isn't good enough.

This is why 99% of the swearing I do in life is due to fighting games, and 99% of that has been from VF and SF

Kintaro

B-Ri said:

The Madcatz sticks and pads won't work with PS2 games. Same thing happened when the VFHG stick came out. Sony then updated the firmware and it worked after that. They'll have to do it again for these sticks/pads.

Guled said:
but him and the others got banned in this thread

Second rule of Hype Club: Don't talk about how to make emulation work. :lol

I honestly wasn't paying attention. =/

haunts

Bacon of Hope
arstal said:
That's always one of the most frustrating feelings, when you feel like you did it right, but it still isn't good enough.

This is why 99% of the swearing I do in life is due to fighting games, and 99% of that has been from VF and SF

Yeah, and when you lose, by no matter how much, it's still a loss, so you never know if they were just playing with you the whole time or playing their hardest. :lol

Threi

notag
haunts said:
Yeah, and when you lose, by no matter how much, it's still a loss, so you never know if they were just playing with you the whole time or playing their hardest. :lol
i personally think its much more agonizing to lose to someone you know you can beat on any good day rather than someone who is just out of your league :lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
GQman2121 said:
I'm really relived that people are finding that the online play is running smoothly so far. That's such great news for all of us.

yes, very much so.

i haven't been this excited for a game release since final fantasy ix....

Deep Crow

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm gonna be picking up SFIV along with everyone else next week, but I've had very little experience with Street Fighter other than dabbling in SFII. Most of my fighting game experience cones from Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. It seems most people on GAF believe an arcade stick is by far the best way to control the game--why is this? What does an arcade stick offer that a D-pad doesn't? I'm trying to decide whether to pick up a fight pad or arcade stick when I pick up the game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
xero273 said:
When the VFHG and HRAP 3 were first release they didn't work with PS2 games on the PS3. I think it was update 1.7 that fixed the problem.

HEY BUDDY "it's VSHG not VFHG."

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Threi said:
i personally think its much more agonizing to lose to someone you know you can beat on any good day rather than someone who is just out of your league :lol

Yeah a lot of times I lose matches like that due to me just trying to get too creative. Its a good and bad thing, trying new things all the time.

Kintaro

Saint Gregory said:
So is this BC controller problem only a Sony issue or are my dreams of playing 3rd Strike on 360 with my TE stick dead in the water?

360 should be fine I believe. Not 100% sure.

street fighter IV has been leaked for the 360...

Don't break the third rule. Edit immediately to remove any doubt.

Bob White

Deep Crow said:
Hey guys, I'm gonna be picking up SFIV along with everyone else next week, but I've had very little experience with Street Fighter other than dabbling in SFII. Most of my fighting game experience cones from Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. It seems most people on GAF believe an arcade stick is by far the best way to control the game--why is this? What does an arcade stick offer that a D-pad doesn't? I'm trying to decide whether to pick up a fight pad or arcade stick when I pick up the game.

Pick a stick up. Even if you're not serious about competing, still pick one up. I was a pad user for years and nothing sucks more that hitting an arcade and just feeling impotent. I knew I was good but I was fighting the stick more that thinking about the fight. The game just flows better or whatever.

Bah, pad is a handicap. Shit, for some reason I cant put my thoughts into better words. Just buy a stick.

Volcynika

My brother's reserving this for me as an early birthday present and I'm getting it next week! (birthday isn't till the following week). I save money , and I get AWESOME. :D

Also, not buying a stick for now since monies is kinda low and I just spent a good bit on some other stuff.

Deep Crow

Neo Member
Bob White said:
Pick a stick up. Even if you're not serious about competing, still pick one up. I was a pad user for years and nothing sucks more that hitting an arcade and just feeling impotent. I knew I was good but I was fighting the stick more that thinking about the fight. The game just flows better or whatever.

Bah, pad is a handicap. Shit, for some reason I cant put my thoughts into better words. Just buy a stick.

How exactly is a pad a handicap? I don't have any decent arcades in my area, so I plan on playing SFIV exclusively on consoles. Is the input really more accurate on a stick or something? I find it hard to justify spending an extra 30-40 dollars to get a stick rather than a pad unless the difference in quality is quite significant.

Deep Crow said:

to be honest it's just preference IMO. There's a whole generation of fighters who grew up on the snes/psx/ps2 dpad and are pretty fucking good at it. But having a stick does provide some basic advantages. My biggest issue right now that i'm having playing HD Remix with the 6xis is sacrificing a button. The shoulder button really fucks up my gameplay a lot, particulary with ryu where LP shorykens and fireballs are crucial for recoveries and zoning. If MP is a shoulder button then I can't do his links or overhead punch as easy as i'd like. if it's LP then I can't zone as well or use LP shoryukens. I'm getting a TE stick (haven't played on a stick in over a decade) but I know in the long run it'll be better for my game.

gutter_trash said:
:(
support good games! Buy!

I don't think he means he wants to pirate it, I think he just wants to play it now. I've had SF4 pre-ordered for a while and I'd hypothetically do the same thing if I had the opportunity....hypothetically.

I know my gamestop is getting the sticks in for those that preordered. i hope for some odd miracle they also got in the game as well!! But only a few more days OMG!

Deep Crow

Neo Member
bdizzle said:
to be honest it's just preference IMO. There's a whole generation of fighters who grew up on the snes/psx/ps2 dpad and are pretty fucking good at it. But having a stick does provide some basic advantages. My biggest issue right now that i'm having playing HD Remix with the 6xis is sacrificing a button. The shoulder button really fucks up my gameplay a lot, particulary with ryu where LP shorykens and fireballs are crucial for recoveries and zoning. If MP is a shoulder button then I can't do his links or overhead punch as easy as i'd like. if it's LP then I can't zone as well or use LP shoryukens. I'm getting a TE stick (haven't played on a stick in over a decade) but I know in the long run it'll be better for my game.

Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like I'll be fine starting off with a pad then considering I'm new to most of this. Maybe I'll upgrade down the road if I end up getting much better at the game.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Apparently the PAL version is region free and the JPN version possibly doesn't have English support. Hopefully Play-Asia can cancel my order before it ships and I can buy teh PAL version for less than half the price. I don't mind waiting until the 20th!

Deep Crow said:
Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like I'll be fine starting off with a pad then considering I'm new to most of this. Maybe I'll upgrade down the road if I end up getting much better at the game.

Unless you're playing on the 360. If you're playing on the 360 get a stick or get the madcatz pad. The 360 dpad is an abomination to all that is holy.

GQman2121 said:
Sticks arrive in-store tomorrow at GS. :)

All stores or just select ones? I called my local gamestop's and they all said not until the game's released.

yeb

Deep Crow said:
Good call. I played with gamepads for about 6 months before I bought a stick. If you do get a stick eventually, it'll be because you're actually aware of the specific ways a pad is holding you back.

Edit: And if you're playing on the 360, never think about using the d-pad. Ever. Not once. Act like the analog is all that exists.

Top Bottom