• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

LakeEarth

Threi said:
somebody did that to me once, it was pretty cool. I just have this sneaking feeling that a flowcharter could mash out of it though.
Most people will spam throw in that situation, which is why the unthrowable Tornado Throw works so well. I'd love to do some cross-up jab combo but they always throw.

Cowie

The weirdest camper I came across was a Ryu.. who wasn't throwing fireballs while camping. he was just standing there waiting for me to chase him into the corner, I guess. I realize I could have fixed the situation by just approaching to the corner, but I'm pretty stubborn when i can tell someone is going to camp. I was waiting for him to start throwing fireballs so I could get my ultra. we spent 20 seconds doing literally nothing.

Threi said:
somebody did that to me once, it was pretty cool. I just have this sneaking feeling that a flowcharter could mash out of it though.

Keep in mind that they're in the air throughout that whole sequence, they don't actually land until after your 2nd roll.

MicVlad said:
Only because he started it. If I walk forward and the turtle Ryu immediatedly jumps backwards during the very first round, then I have every right to "get mad" and waste his time as well (not that I consider my time as precious or anything) by directly copying his behaviour.

And regarding the lifebar: I mean, it's somewhat understandable if they don't want to risk losing their lead against a decent opponent, but to even go as far as turtle when they're behind? By a lot? Yeah, screw that.

Really?:lol

Anyways, you still haven't answered my question. Like I said, you get attacked, you lose life bar, you lose life bar, you lose. So why would you want your opponent to attack you?

And by attack, I don't mean throwing out a poke, but rather to take the offensive position with intent of doing damage.

edit -
Freshmaker said:
From one of the videos -
IT IS THE RIGHT SCREEN RATIO. SHUT UP. rofl

exarkun

People dont seem to realize (online) that if they just learn a basic poking combo or two their BP's would increase by at least 1k. People just aren't ready for someone can chain together 5 or 6 hit combos without using a special or unique attack.

FindMyFarms said:
Really?:lol

Anyways, you still haven't answered my question. Like I said, you get attacked, you lose life bar, you lose life bar, you lose. So why would you want your opponent to attack you?

And by attack, I don't mean throwing out a poke, but rather to take the offensive position with intent of doing damage.
Sigh.

Yes, why would I want my opponent to attack in a fighting game, even when I have the upper hand health-wise?

exarkun said:
People dont seem to realize (online) that if they just learn a basic poking combo or two their BP's would increase by at least 1k. People just aren't ready for someone can chain together 5 or 6 hit combos without using a special or unique attack.
This too.

Boring AND lazy.

Won

FindMyFarms said:
You lose a match by losing life. You lose life by getting attacked. This is extremely basic. Now tell me again, why would you want your opponent to attack you? Don't call people out if you can't answer the question.

:lol You missed the point here. I'm not going to discuss that "playing to win" thingy.

My point is that turtles turtle no matter what online. They start to jump to their corners at the beginning and then stay there. Thats what happens online. They don't care about health disadvantages. You hit them? Even more reason to retreat to the corner!
It ends in incredible boring and tedious games.

Cowie said:
The weirdest camper I came across was a Ryu.. who wasn't throwing fireballs while camping. he was just standing there waiting for me to chase him into the corner, I guess. I realize I could have fixed the situation by just approaching to the corner, but I'm pretty stubborn when i can tell someone is going to camp. I was waiting for him to start throwing fireballs so I could get my ultra. we spent 20 seconds doing literally nothing.

Which is what bothers me so much with the turtles. They don't even do it right! A Sagat that spams fireballs is a rarity for me. I mean wtf?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Nice games Grifter. Sorry for the lag there =(.

Just had an awesome championship final. It was 1-1, he was Balrog, I Chun Li. I barely had life. He throws his Ultra to chip me just as I landed. I charged back my Ultra while his animation played, an unleashed my Ultra barely a few centimeters away and won. So, so good.

MicVlaD said:
Sigh.

Yes, why would I want my opponent to attack in a fighting game, even when I have the upper hand health-wise?

This too.

Boring AND lazy.

Um, if you have the life lead and you're opponent doesn't attack you, that's a guaranteed victory via time out. The second your opponent mounts an offensive, you lose that guarantee. So I'll ask it again like I keep doing, why would you want your opponent to attack you?

Arde5643

Cowie said:
I like those campers since it makes a good excuse for me to start spamming LK.Guacamole throw to build my meter for EX-runs, EX Guacamole, and perhaps super combo.

Won said:
:lol You missed the point here. I'm not going to discuss that "playing to win" thingy.

My point is that turtles turtle no matter what online. They start to jump to their corners at the beginning and then stay there. Thats what happens online. They don't care about health disadvantages. You hit them? Even more reason to retreat to the corner!
It ends in incredible boring and tedious games.

Which is what bothers me so much with the turtles. They don't even do it right! A Sagat that spams fireballs is a rarity for me. I mean wtf?

The point wasn't missed at all. Most people were complaining about encountering turtles within tournament mode. Tournament mode is supposed to emulate a competitive environment, and thus the "playing to win" pretext is the only one applicable. The whole point of Street Fighter, or any fighting game in general, is to put yourself in a position where you can attack your enemy, while they can't attack you. I've been asking, why do you want your opponent to attack you? The answer is : you don't!

Of course if it was casuals turtles would be boring. Casuals are meant for you to engage in any type of match you prefer, and thus you have to right to complain about your opponent. Naturally, someone that puts themselves in the corner for you to make a combo video out of or throw loop gets boring since it's so easy and you don't have to think. But that, I would chalk up more to inferior competition even than than mindless turtling. If your opponent actually knows how to turtle intelligently, and you can't hang, then that's your que to step up. People complain about these repetitive flowchart turtles, but if they're as basic as they're made out to be, there's no reason the match should last longer than 30 seconds.

Dartastic

Hahahaha, I just focus attacked Fei's ultra. Awesome. Anyway, anyone wanna play some games on XBL? I picked up a stick finally, and I really think it's help me turn a corner as far as my playing. I'd really like to have a couple good GAF games. =)

Can anyone tell me why I keep getting disconnected from Championship Mode?

I'll win a match or two, or sometimes the whole thing, then it will freeze up for a moment and say "Match didn't finish properly, you will have to start over."

Are people actually quitting on me that much? Or is this just a server error? It happened to me yesterday probably 5 times in an hour of play.

Any help would be appreciated. Really frustrating I'm not getting these points after I win.

FindMyFarms said:
The point wasn't missed at all. Most people were complaining about encountering turtles within tournament mode. Tournament mode is supposed to emulate a competitive environment, and thus the "playing to win" pretext is the only one applicable. The whole point of Street Fighter, or any fighting game in general, is to put yourself in a position where you can attack your enemy, while they can't attack you. I've been asking, why do you want your opponent to attack you? The answer is : you don't!

Of course if it was casuals turtles would be boring. Casuals are meant for you to engage in any type of match you prefer, and thus you have to right to complain about your opponent. Naturally, someone that puts themselves in the corner for you to make a combo video out of or throw loop gets boring since it's so easy and you don't have to think. But that, I would chalk up more to inferior competition even than than mindless turtling. If your opponent actually knows how to turtle intelligently, and you can't hang, then that's your que to step up. People complain about these repetitive flowchart turtles, but if they're as basic as they're made out to be, there's no reason the match should last longer than 30 seconds.

Preach on muthafucka, preach!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Your opponent sitting in the corner is like a Christmas gift.

What are you waiting for?

Advance and limit his options, out poke him when he cant move back and punish him when he jumps.

If you're not comfortable engaging, then sit back and turtle harder. :p

Dartastic

SO nice to get a perfect on a championship mode game. :D Seriously though, anyone online and want to play a couple matches? I'd really like to see how much I've improved...

CartridgeBlower said:
Can anyone tell me why I keep getting disconnected from Championship Mode?

I'll win a match or two, or sometimes the whole thing, then it will freeze up for a moment and say "Match didn't finish properly, you will have to start over."

Are people actually quitting on me that much? Or is this just a server error? It happened to me yesterday probably 5 times in an hour of play.

Any help would be appreciated. Really frustrating I'm not getting these points after I win.

That happened to me yesterday too. I asked if it was a glitch or was a result of the person disconnecting. I won two matches and had accrued 4000CP and was anxious to play the finals but alas.

Threi

notag
sorry I had to bail MicVlaD but House > Street Fighter > everything else :lol

your sim was starting to become beastly again anyways so i would have gotten murdered :lol

Threi

notag
Lost Fragment said:
Am I like the only one who thinks that a perfectly balanced fighting game is a bad thing?
If the characters have completely different playstyles then i don't see how it could be considered a bad thing at all.

KevinCow

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Am I like the only one who thinks that a perfectly balanced fighting game is a bad thing?
Why would a larger variety of potentially competitive characters be a bad thing? It just means you'd see more characters in tournaments and whatnot, and fewer people playing the same damn characters.

KevinCow said:
Why would a larger variety of potentially competitive characters be a bad thing? It just means you'd see more characters in tournaments and whatnot, and fewer people playing the same damn characters.

But how will you do the Ken Fighter Online then.

Zabka

Lost Fragment said:
Probably one of the only ones. You must be drunk to say something this crazy.
I see what you did there. ^ fixed
I'm not going to lie. If I heard there was a person responsible for E. Honda in this game, and he was physically injured in some way, it would make me feel good. Real good.

Yes! My first piece of unsolicited hate mail:

"Go back to nintendo grapple girl"

I do throw a lot.

And I replied:

"I'll grab whatever u want me 2 baby"

I know them homoerotic statements will always get the xbl crowd goin' haha

LakeEarth

I just had a fun 1 win, 30 loss streak going. I just kept screwing things up, the pad kept giving me the wrong move... seriously, my pad is usualy pretty crappy, but today it was at a new level. I couldn't dash or do any qcf's to the left side, at all. So many punishable moments missed, and punishable moments are everything.

I need to find that damn MadCatz pad.

fernie417

Lost Fragment said:

Well, no fighting game can truly be perfectly balanced unless both players are playing the same character, and that's not terribly fun. Having one guy find something that gives him an advantage, and then the other find the solution is part of what makes fighting games fun, and that would be impossible if it was perfectly balanced. So I'm with ya, perfectly balanced would to some extent be boring. I think what people actually want though is just to have a large number of characters that have a viable chance of winning, so you don't just see the same two or three characters over and over.

Zabka

fernie417 said:
Well, no fighting game can truly be perfectly balanced unless both players are playing the same character, and that's not terribly fun. Having one guy find something that gives him an advantage, and then the other find the solution is part of what makes fighting games fun, and that would be impossible if it was perfectly balanced.
That's exactly what balanced gameplay is. When there are no solutions is when it is unbalanced.

Hey guys, guys, dudes -- check this out:

The roof, the roof, the Rufus on fire!

Is it T-shirt worthy? I thought of it while I was taking a shower. Are you guys proud of me?

C- Warrior said:
Hey guys, guys, dudes -- check this out:

The roof, the roof, the Rufus on fire!

Is it T-shirt worthy? I thought of it while I was taking a shower. Are you guys proud of me?

Your avatar is tag worthy. Name plz.

CPS2

Threi said:

A good Abel player I know said this exact thing.

2 things about Abel: crossup MK into tornado throw is awesome. Not many people vertical jump immediately after blocking a crossup, they tend to try and tech throw.

Learn how to CoD>FADC>cr.HP>ultra. I think this is the most reliable way of doing it.

Also about people who willfully put themselves in the corner, aren't you supposed to be trying to put them in the corner anyway? Disregarding life leading, attacking, defending, meter, everything else, putting them in the corner is pretty important. Nobody has an advantage there, so I can't see why anyone would complain about it.

FindMyFarms said:
Your avatar is tag worthy. Name plz.

I got another one, holy shit am I on a roll -- let's make some T-shirts.

Hows this:

...ahem...

"You KEN do it!!!"

C'mon guys, motivational SFIV T-shirts.

So, so far:

1) The roof, the roof, the Rufus on fire!
2) You KEN do it!!

Can you guys think of other ones?

C- Warrior said:
I got another one, holy shit am I on a roll -- let's make some T-shirts.

Hows this:

...ahem...

"You KEN do it!!!"

C'mon guys, motivational SFIV T-shirts.

So, so far:

1) The roof, the roof, the Rufus on fire!
2) You KEN do it!!

Can you guys think of other ones?

This post needs more avatar name in it.

Vdragoon

vio7dy.jpg

Hey Won, I think I played your Sagat vs my Chun (taangd). You beat me like a little girl the first time, but I got revenge the 2nd game.

Won

Vdragoon said:
vio7dy.jpg

Hey Won, I think I played your Sagat vs my Chun (taangd). You beat me like a little girl the first time, but I got revenge the 2nd game.

Unlikely. I don't play Sagat at all. There would also no spirit left in you for a second game! :p

Tinkering around in training mode: Ryu has some pretty fun combos, especially when you start throwing in FADCs off hadokens into whatever. An easy 25% minimum!

Teknopathetic said:
Tinkering around in training mode: Ryu has some pretty fun combos, especially when you start throwing in FADCs of hadokens into whatever. An easy 25% minimum!

Here's a fun (and practical) FADC combo for you :p great to land off a crumple or a whiffed dp -> denotes link, xx denotes cancel

f+fp -> cr. lp -> cr. fp xx fp hadoken xx FADC xx cr. mk xx fk tatsu

You can sub the cr. lp w/ cr. mp, but it's a little but harder that way. If you ever land this combo on anyone in a game, you may deem your opponent the "sacrificial lamb."

Top Bottom