• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

TurtleSnatcher said:
Could give a shit about KOF.. and that can stay out of this thread. (Ill still get it but SF4 > all for me)

thats good enough. i dont have problems playing both regularly, but if they make the online in KoF more stable, it'll be easy to say which game will get the biggest chunk of my playtime.

Lost Fragment said:
Man you live in the middle of no where..

Anyways.. Yea pretty hard to find.

Try to give these guys a call. I know its a bit far but if they don't have it today.. call them every weekday (not weekends) for the next 2-3 days. Though call today.

GameStop #3049
Burks Center
107 Jeanie Drive
Shelbyville KY, 40065 US
(502) 647-9884
Mon-Sat 10am-9pm, Sun 12pm-6pm*
Distance: 15.91 miles

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
TurtleSnatcher said:
Man you live in the middle of no where..

Anyways.. Yea pretty hard to find.

Try to give these guys a call. I know its a bit far but if they don't have it today.. call them every weekday (not weekends) for the next 2-3 days. Though call today.

GameStop #3049
Burks Center
107 Jeanie Drive
Shelbyville KY, 40065 US
(502) 647-9884
Mon-Sat 10am-9pm, Sun 12pm-6pm*
Distance: 15.91 miles

Middle of nowhere? Nah, I'm like 15 minutes from downtown Louisville ^^

I think tonight I'm going to force myself on the stick which means i put my RSF combo work on hold.

My current issues with a stick are..

1) Shoryuken motions.. I can't seem to get it right.
2) Dashing forward and back.. it feels awkward and actually kind of hurts my wrist or I don't do it fast enough or I do it too hard and slam the gate and my hands are all out of proportion. I also sometimes crouch while doing it so I never actually move forward =[
3) QCF or QCB motions. I can get it about 80% of the time but that 20% kills me on clutch situations.
4) Throw buttons feel far away on a stick so I don't throw as much as I should like I do on a controller.

This will be tough. Man listing out everything makes me NOT want to move to a stick now.. :lol

Lost Fragment said:
Middle of nowhere? Nah, I'm like 15 minutes from downtown Louisville ^^

Yes.. but thats Louisville KENTUCKY Kentucky as a state is the middle of no where :p

By the way did you call?

Zabka

TurtleSnatcher said:
4) Throw buttons feel far away on a stick so I don't throw as much as I should like I do on a controller.
What button layout are you working with? On my SE stick I have my index finger and thumb resting on the Jab/Short buttons. Makes it very easy to tech or punish a crossup whiff on reaction.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I think tonight I'm going to force myself on the stick which means i put my RSF combo work on hold.

2) Dashing forward and back.. it feels awkward and actually kind of hurts my wrist or I don't do it fast enough or I do it too hard and slam the gate and my hands are all out of proportion. I also sometimes crouch while doing it so I never actually move forward =[
3) QCF or QCB motions. I can get it about 80% of the time but that 20% kills me on clutch situations.

f- forward, b- back, d - down, u - up

1) If you can do a f,b,f motion, you can do a srk, since that's really all it is. just remember to push the stick down a little bit when doing the b part. Also remember that the d/f, d/f shortcut is there if you prefer, it's just like dashing and then pressing P.

2) dashing to the left, I usually use my thumb for the input, while going right I use my index and middle finger

3) This you'll just get over time, just remember not to ride the gate too much.

4) This changes a lot from person to person, but I like to use my index and middle finger to throw. That way, when I go for the throw I usually just have to twist my wrist a little instead of having to really move my arm.

hope that helps.

FindMyFarms said:
I was reading that Sirlin piece on banning players(like actual people, human beings, etc.) from tourneys. Seemed like most people agreed with it, what do you guys think?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the principle itself, seeing as most activities that are competitive and popular practice it as well. If your company is having an intramural basketball league, you can't just roll up there with Kobe on your team, that would be really unfair lol. Also in chess, Gary Kasparov can't just roll up to amateur tournaments. Same example applies to just about every sport/hobby/etc. Even Starcraft has amateur leagues.

The difference between Street Fighter and more popular/competitive activities is that Street Fighter doesn't have a Pro vs. Amateur distinction. That means that when it comings banning players from tournaments, your only criteria then is your own personal discretion. That, I believe is unfair.

Also thought I'd repost that

Threi

notag
Stats time! :D

r9lxrb.jpg

Finally passed the 100hr mark, win rate is still rising (despite some really embarrassing loss streaks), and that weird 27-game winstreak...I know for SURE that i did NOT win 27 games in a row.

280vajp.jpg

Tourney stats, I pretty much have stagnated in G2.

2woyjnl.jpg

Who is that fat man climbing up my char used list? ;)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
TurtleSnatcher said:

Just my experience:

Shortcut fails me more often than the original motion on a stick for whatever reason. (If I'm ever doing a yoga mummy 'it's 'cause I tried the shortcut)

Dashing, just try to keep it loose. You barely even need to move your wrist.

I've jumped back to a pad a few times and I find my execution's pretty much the same. I tend to notice the same errors more on the stick though.

It's easiest to throw just with lp+lk vs using a button on the stick. The extra two buttons are better off being completely ignored.

Thanks for the tips.. I tend to use my thumb and index finger to throw.. Ill just have to be more aware now..

As for SRK motions.. thats the tough part.. I feel like I mash and with QCF/QCB motions.. I need to perfect them to get ultras and supers out right or else I'm screwed.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Thanks for the tips.. I tend to use my thumb and index finger to throw.. Ill just have to be more aware now..

As for SRK motions.. thats the tough part.. I feel like I mash and with QCF/QCB motions.. I need to perfect them to get ultras and supers out right or else I'm screwed.

SRK Motion shortcut= Forward Down + Forward Down + Attack. Pretty reliable

DarkSloth

I was always told that shortcut, but it never worked reliably for me. I would do DF, then a neutral position, DF again. I didn't know that you could just do DF, D, DF. That makes doing a dragon punch motion while crouching so much easier.

Ledsen

TurtleSnatcher said:

QCFx2 is hands down the most difficult thing to learn on a stick. You should get the SRK and dashing down pretty fast, they're not difficult really. Be prepared to spend a lot of time doing Ultras in practice mode though.

Imm0rt4l

Ledsen said:
QCFx2 is hands down the most difficult thing to learn on a stick. You should get the SRK and dashing down pretty fast, they're not difficult really. Be prepared to spend a lot of time doing Ultras in practice mode though.

QCFX2 is what I'm having most trouble with right now on my stick. I can only do dp motions via shortcut reliably. I need to learn how to do the dp motion and QCFX2, but I don't feel I'm making any progress there. I've decided I'm going to get an octagon gate, but I really want to be proficient enough to at least pull off a qcfx2 and dp on command on my current stick.

I won a tournament as Rufus last night! It felt good. Played TONS of Blankas and Dictators and Kens. Very few Ryus, which is weird as 50% of my champ opponents play Ryu usually. (I did the math! Boxer's my second most common opponent, then Blanka, then the rest of the shotos and Gief. Not many people I run into play the rest of the cast...) Still have no clue what I'm doing with Rufus for the most part but I love him. I just dive kick a lot and MASH. That's how to play the game!

gutter_trash said:
SF4 is too god damn widescreen and the stages are too freakin wide

in SF2, you would run out of room.. quick and get cornered

but SF4.. forget it... run away... run away.. run away... turtle turtle run away run away

i hope they fix this in the next installment.. shorter stages bigger characters fuck this looooongg wide screen
Yuppp. Lately I've been thinking a lot about all the things I'd like in the inevitable revision, and I think this is near the top. I'd also love if they overhauled the ultra system. Limit them to once per round, increase the damage required before you can use one, stuff like that. Maybe tone them down a bit.

Augemitbutter said:
i get screwed by three bars alot lately. im ignoring anything below. 4 and 5 are 95% great, cant complain.
I need to start doing that. 3 bars is too much of a crapshoot but I feel like a dick if I quit out! And I get so many damn 1 or 2 bar people joining me. I dunno why on earth you'd choose to join someone with such bad ping.

Freshmaker said:
Shortcut fails me more often than the original motion on a stick for whatever reason. (If I'm ever doing a yoga mummy 'it's 'cause I tried the shortcut)
Me too. Though I do notice that I have an easier time pulling off a DP with some characters than others. I don't know if it's because of the game's looser inputs or what. Like with Cammy it's no problem. Shit, I often throw out DPs by accident. Or the shotos. E-z. But with Rufus I have a harder time and often end up with a tornado. Probably just me fucking up.

razu

YakiSOBA said:
I mean best guy there couldn't FADC into stuff, it was as if FA was disabled... everyone only used special moves and the better guys knew how to do 3-4 hit combos (ie: light punch x3 then fireball)

I noticed that the ken stood at such a distance that I couldn't sweep him or hit him with any physical moves... so i couldn't do anything

That's the game though :) FADC, for me, isn't the be all and end all of SF. If you can beat someone with light punch, then do so. Again, for me, it's all about baiting, monitoring and dealing beatings when someone strays into the wrong place, while vulnerable. As a Blanka player, to me that means a few frame pause at the start of the round to see if they jump back. If they do, then that equals diagonal ball first hit. If they stand their ground then I go into entice mode, light rainbows or light balls. To get them going. If that doesn't do anything then I might slide, out of range. If they're Guile they might flash kick, and I bite them on landing :) It goes on... The enticement should be non-stop, forcing errors and punishing them immediately! We all know what that feels like when we're on the receiving end, it's like they're reading your mind, but they're just baiting you.

The point I'd like to make is that your friends are playing the game correctly for their level; they are controlling the game using the tools they have at their disposal. Try beating them by using more basic attacks before winding on the combos and FADC fireworks.

Shorcuts are awesome. Lately I've been getting random Supers for doing a simple Yoga Fire motion. After I left the analog stick neutral for a brief second when I had plenty of time (so to speak) to execute it. The only thing that's even more fun, is getting auto-directed when attempting to slide / teleport away from your opponent.

Nothing beats handicapping yourself in such a manner.

Threi

notag
I think i may have peaked in skill in this game...I am starting to lose a hell of a lot against opponents of equal/lesser skill than before, and my tactics have become completely fucking stupid again (and yet i keep doing them). A basic combo such as cr.lpx3 cr.lk xx lk scissors never seems to work, and with my Abel i am starting to flubb basic specials (such as wheel kick and roll) like i did with my 360 pad. Either the dpad on this fightpad is slowly dying or I am honestly getting worse at this game. :lol

I think 90% of my supers are accidental. I'll do a spike and negative edge + lax inputs will lead to a super. And I think I've said this in 90% of my posts. But it still annoys the hell outta me!

I wish they'd make the special inputs more strict and loosen the timing on most of the basic combos. Goddamned links.

Threi said:
I think i may have peaked in skill in this game...I am starting to lose a hell of a lot against opponents of equal/lesser skill than before, and my tactics have become completely fucking stupid again (and yet i keep doing them). A basic combo such as cr.lpx3 cr.lk xx lk scissors never seems to work, and with my Abel i am starting to flubb basic specials (such as wheel kick and roll) like i did with my 360 pad. Either the dpad on this fightpad is slowly dying or I am honestly getting worse at this game. :lol
I've gotten worse too. That's why I am playing a different character! Now I can blame losing on my inexperience with him rather than my repeated boneheaded mistakes.

Threi

notag
Rufus said:
Everybody has a bad day once in a while, don't worry too much about it.
well i would normally say that but this has been pretty constant over the past couple weeks :lol

what is strange is i have been more effective with honda as of late, and i barely know how to use him. What does that say when I've been using Bison since the beginning, and he is a clearly better character?

Rufus

What that says? That the people you play are probably not used to him.

Look, it's pretty easy to put yourself down. I know, I have a degree in self-depreciation. Fact of the matter is: It gets harder to improve after a while, your progress will slow down. That's true for Street Fighter as much as it is for anything skill based. BUT, if you keep learning new patterns and consciously try to get better, you will. It just takes patience and some degree of discipline. (Two things I lack, btw.) You probably know best where to improve because you experience first-hand in what situations you're at your wits end and your game falls apart.

Oh, forgot to mention I managed to punish an Akuma who got cocky in the last round purely by chance the other day. Granted, I'm not the best storyteller but here goes...

The score was 1 - 1, did some decent damage at the start of the round, but after I made one mistake, I just kept fucking up (both on offense and defense). Eventually he dizzied me in a corner thanks to Akuma's stronger fireball (the one with three hits), so I figured I was a goner since I only had 5 - 10% left. He jumped over to my position, TAUNTED me - I was like "Oh no he DI'NT" - before proceeding to charge up a Focus Attack.

Here's where it got exciting: he failed to charge up it up long enough, it connected but it didn't crumple Dhalsim and I managed to block his Fierce Shoryuken in the nick of time. This allowed me to dash right under him and quickly unleash my own Ultra (reducing Akuma's health to approximately 35%), followed by a backdash so that I could use the range of Dhalsim's moves to my advantage. After that, he took the bait when I was trying to get him to jump, but he threw an aerial fireball JUST as I activated my Super. The fireball would've been enough to finish me off (I was that low on health), but by some fluke the Super protected me from said fireball and Akuma landed right into it as planned, thus effectively knocking him out.

That was an extremely satisfying victory for me. Wish I could've taunted back before the match ended though, lawl.

jdub03

WOW!!!! Guys go to the leaderboard and search for a guy named rokatsu. He's a japanese gen player. He does some shit I never saw before towards the end. I've been leveling up my gen all today. Gen players should take a look.

Xevren said:
Sweet my save file got corrupted. I think thats it for me on this game. I really dont want to unlock everything again.
Id say unlocking is the easiest thing in the game sans the trials

Threi said:
well i would normally say that but this has been pretty constant over the past couple weeks :lol

what is strange is i have been more effective with honda as of late, and i barely know how to use him. What does that say when I've been using Bison since the beginning, and he is a clearly better character?

Its like losing weight.. you lose a ton early but it mellows out and peaks or plateaus for a bit because you cant lose as much as you initially did (the water weight)

Just give it some time! :)

MicVlaD said:
Oh, forgot to mention I managed to punish an Akuma who got cocky in the last round purely by chance the other day. Granted, I'm not the best storyteller but here goes...

The score was 1 - 1, did some decent damage at the start of the round, but after I made one mistake, I just kept fucking up (both on offense and defense). Eventually he dizzied me in a corner thanks to Akuma's stronger fireball (the one with three hits), so I figured I was a goner since I only had 5 - 10% left. He jumped over to my position, TAUNTED me - I was like "Oh no he DI'NT" - before proceeding to charge up a Focus Attack.

Here's where it got exciting: he failed to charge up it up long enough, it connected but it didn't crumple Dhalsim and I managed to block his Fierce Shoryuken in the nick of time. This allowed me to dash right under him and quickly unleash my own Ultra (reducing Akuma's health to approximately 35%), followed by a backdash so that I could use the range of Dhalsim's moves to my advantage. After that, he took the bait when I was trying to get him to jump, but he threw an aerial fireball JUST as I activated my Super. The fireball would've been enough to finish me off (I was that low on health), but by some fluke the Super protected me from said fireball and Akuma landed right into it as planned, thus effectively knocking him out.

That was an extremely satisfying victory for me. Wish I could've taunted back before the match ended though, lawl.
Wow I had a similar incident but Dhalsim was on the receiving end.

It was 1-0 my favor but I was chasing a Sim all around the screen as he was playing keep away..

I had 3% left and one hit would have done me in. I decide to run at him and slide as he is on the ground.. as I'm going at him and doing the slide motion he ultra's me.. I'm clearly Fudged and would be down and out as I had 10%.

Instead.. I slide under.. hit him.. then stand up and get hit by the ultra but my hit counted first and I won. I felt bad for the Sim.. :lol

MIMIC

Banned
What's with this file save corruption that's going on? Is this occurring on both systems? Cuz if my shit gets deleted (after I've beaten all of the trials and nearing achievement completion), some members of Capcom might mysteriously disappear.

Xevren

I'm mainly pissed because of all the hard challenges I had done. I dont get how my data got corrupted, I dont just turn it off as its saving or anything. Whatever, I hate the online aspect of this game anyway.

MIMIC

Banned
Just unlocked the "Storied Reputation" achievement. When using the Zangief technique, I can confirm: you do NOT have to begin Arcade mode with every character and then switch to Zangief. You can simply start with Zangief each and every time, lose to Seth, and then beat Seth with your desired character.

Only 3 more achievements to go! :D
technically 4

I was where you were Turtle, about 3 weeks ago. Non-stop play and Ultra practice in training for a LONG time (seriously) will get you back to form. You'll think it's terrible at first, but stick with it (pun intended); I think it's worth it.

Today for the first time I CSpike - FADC - Cspike -FADCb - ultra'd in a mtach, and it was to win it :D. Prettiest combo in the game. And I couldn't dream of doing that on a pad.

Bananimus

Threi said:
I've hit some rough times with Abel as of late. Every time I get a falling sky instead of an ultra after landing the cr.hp I die a bit inside. Still fail a lot on the cr.mp to CoD combo as well. :(

Just keep with it I guess...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Threi said:

nobody knows what to do against honda cause no one plays him.

:(

I don't have much experience with Honda matchups. So every time I play him I learn new stuff. Learning about his mixups and shenanigans is interesting and he can be a frustrating character. His stuff isn't as easily punishable as Blanka's moves are. I played with Jerky last night and it was the first time I really got to play someone who knows what they're doing with him. Good matches.

I can definitely see how someone like Mike RAWSE can do some damage with Honda.

MIMIC

Banned
I just realized why I have such a hard time with Honda: that fat fucker does a shit load of damage :lol I rarely play against him so I always forget how much damage he does.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
GalacticAE said:
Honda is just a big meanie. Honda fat jokes are in order.

Blanka vs honda is such a fucking hard fight, so hard to get close to that fat ass.

I've made it to 2600 GP now. only won 2 finals in G2 :lol

Was on a storming run and I beat a 9000 sagat, then faced a 14000 ryu in the final. fucking hell. that guy just perfected me, what a bastard :lol

MIMIC said:
What's with this file save corruption that's going on? Is this occurring on both systems? Cuz if my shit gets deleted (after I've beaten all of the trials and nearing achievement completion), some members of Capcom might mysteriously disappear.

i think its mainly happening on 360. thats where that 9999 hour bug is at home too.

im somewhere at 11k GP now, thats G2-A. i fear i wont find enough people to play with once i've ranked up. guess i'll take my time now.

GalacticAE said:
I don't have much experience with Honda matchups. So every time I play him I learn new stuff. Learning about his mixups and shenanigans is interesting and he can be a frustrating character. His stuff isn't as easily punishable as Blanka's moves are. I played with Jerky last night and it was the first time I really got to play someone who knows what they're doing with him. Good matches.

I can definitely see how someone like Mike RAWSE can do some damage with Honda.

the funny thing, I tried to play other character and I was not having much success with them, I always resorted back to Honda for my wins

Honda suffers from cross-up phobia, projectile jumping and punishable on block specials but when he gets into the sweet spot range, he can inflict mega damage.

I used to not use much HHS before, but now I have been using it more in my matches and I have been scoring more dizzies

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Timedog said:
nobody knows what to do against honda cause no one plays him.

:(

There there, as a Honda mainer myself, that's one of our secret weapons - Oicho traps and getting them locked down with HHS is great - and while you even NEED his Ultra, it's the ultimate punishment for the ones with no caution that leave themselves wide open... :)

Man I love Honda - thinking about it right now, him and Balrog are my top 2 characters easily...

Honda is a Ken Killer, no doubt about it. So you should have alot of success online with him by default.

As Rufus, I don't think I've lost to a Honda since I learned that you can HP Tornado through his headbutt, FA his crossup-butt thing, and divekick his headbutt as well. He also has like zero answer to divekick shit. Once I'm all over him it's GGPO.

Haunts - Saw your replay in the top 20 against that Chun. Hella close match was fun to watch :)

Oh and..

FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!!

Got my Icon and Title finally!

4319_102453680398_560865398_2946061_2128499_n.jpg

And I did it on the Madcatz controller!

I spent maybe a total of 10-12 hours just getting to 3 hits..

Then this morning I decided to try it again and played for 5 mins and was so close many times then suddenly hear "Success!"

I was holy shitting. Then I decide to go back into the same trial and try again to see if it was a fluke or not.. and 3 mins later "Success!"

So I'm starting to grasp it now. Unfortunately it forces me to hold my controller like an arcade stick. I guess I should start learning that stick now .. :lol

EDIT: 1 thing I noticed is no one joins my Champ games with the icon so I may change back.. I think people find El Fuerte hella hard to face or lame or they think I know RSF really well and will rape them with it :lol

Top Bottom