• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Vangellis

Anyone have some good chun li tips. Ive been trying to get better at her for awhile but ive been frustrated lately. Her stamina seems like a fucking joke. I can hit some one with a massive combo and then be evened out with one or two hits from other characters.

Something about her just seems too weak. I feel like I have a much smaller margin of error than an other player/character due to her stamina weakness.

Im I just having a bad day or is she lacking? Im going to keep trying to improve with her but the stronger hitting characters like gief, blanka etc are painful.

Augemitbutter said:
i wouldnt say cake. make a few mistakes and you die pretty fast.

What's wrong with you!? Do you not like cake?!?

Unless you're going up against Mike Ross, I'd say Honda is really easy for someone like Ryu. Granted, you can't make many mistakes, but the Honda player can make even less or else he's going to be put into constant pressure/guessing games.

Ask Gutter, he knows Honda's pain vs. crossups :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Vangellis said:
Anyone have some good chun li tips. Ive been trying to get better at her for awhile but ive been frustrated lately. Her stamina seems like a fucking joke. I can hit some one with a massive combo and then be evened out with one or two hits from other characters.

Something about her just seems too weak. I feel like I have a much smaller margin of error than an other player/character due to her stamina weakness.

Im I just having a bad day or is she lacking? Im going to keep trying to improve with her but the stronger hitting characters like gief, blanka etc are painful.

She's definitely lacking. She's my main and yeah... she has quite a share of problems. Its frustrating, but I like playing as her. You just need to be careful.

Vdragoon

Vangellis said:

With Chun you need a good mix-up game and also you have to know when to turtle.
Your basic mix-up on knockdown:
do nothing
throw
cross-up (j.lk or df.hk)
uj.hp x 2

If you have the basics down then you should be able to mess with your opponents mind.
For Zangief HK is a good tool to keep him at bay or FP. If he starts ducking to avoid your massive range on HK you can also mix HS into your guy to keep him guessing. Always dash back once he is in range for his BH.

For Blanka, there was a really good advice - block low. You have to play patient with Blanka. If he likes to cross-up just go under him (instead of blocking) then throw or use her BnB (lk,lk, ex LK).

Make sure you know what combos to do to punish people with when you have the oppurtunity.

Vdragoon said:
Make sure you know what combos to do to punish people with when you have the oppurtunity.

For example? I like to use cr. FP xx mk SBK, but I worry about using it because after I can throw or block. If I throw, I can get beat by a SRK, if I block (expecting an SRK) I can get thrown. Am I just over thinking it?

Mainly cr. lk x 3 xx ex legs for punisher

Chun Li can also get a lot of "free hits" in as I like to call them, with her instant overheads. You can sneak them in a lot, and while they can be punished hey usually catch people really off guard that they forge too.

Her instant overheads are mainly jump back hk, and jump forward d.mk next to a crouching opponent followed by (while still in air) lk.

A lot of times you can just do df fk crossup, cr. lk to make them block low (if not then another 2 into ex legs), once they're blockin low then jump back fk, or d. mk overhead for damage plus mixup reset.

JEKKI

whooo! off topic but I jus registered my hotel for evo!!

gonna enter SF4 and Accent Core!

other than that... SF4 sucks! lol, hope to stop playing this game after evolution =P

prodystopian said:
For example? I like to use cr. FP xx mk SBK, but I worry about using it because after I can throw or block. If I throw, I can get beat by a SRK, if I block (expecting an SRK) I can get thrown. Am I just over thinking it?
Her most popular combo is in one of the normal trials, where you do the jumping HPx2, then the back-MKx2 to down/up-MK. If you have EX or Ultra, you can follow this up in the corner with the EX SBK or her Ultra.

It's a simple combo, but it goes on for so long that it can really intimidate your opponent into thinking you're much better than you are. Then they start playing really carefully and you can use her mobility to really fuck them up.

MIMIC

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Haunts - Saw your replay in the top 20 against that Chun. Hella close match was fun to watch :)

Oh and..

FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!!

Got my Icon and Title finally!

4319_102453680398_560865398_2946061_2128499_n.jpg

And I did it on the Madcatz controller!

I spent maybe a total of 10-12 hours just getting to 3 hits..

Then this morning I decided to try it again and played for 5 mins and was so close many times then suddenly hear "Success!"

I was holy shitting. Then I decide to go back into the same trial and try again to see if it was a fluke or not.. and 3 mins later "Success!"

So I'm starting to grasp it now. Unfortunately it forces me to hold my controller like an arcade stick. I guess I should start learning that stick now .. :lol

EDIT: 1 thing I noticed is no one joins my Champ games with the icon so I may change back.. I think people find El Fuerte hella hard to face or lame or they think I know RSF really well and will rape them with it :lol

Congrats! :D

Threi

notag
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Her most popular combo is in one of the normal trials, where you do the jumping HPx2, then the back-MKx2 to down/up-MK. If you have EX or Ultra, you can follow this up in the corner with the EX SBK or her Ultra.

It's a simple combo, but it goes on for so long that it can really intimidate your opponent into thinking you're much better than you are. Then they start playing really carefully and you can use her mobility to really fuck them up.
tell me about it. I was surprised when i went through chun's trials that some of her moves were incredibly simple to perform. I though that that move where she hops around to cross up was super complicated, and its actually just one direction + a button :lol

Vdragoon

prodystopian said:

1)c.lk x2 xx ex LK
2)j.hk > cs.hk xx ex LK (replace ex LK with HS if blocked and if HS hits follow with 5 or 6)
3)c.lp > cs.hk xx ex LK (easily hit confirmable but requires alot of k pressing lol)
4)j.hk > c.hp xx m.sbk xx super (this can be done without the super as well)
5)lk HS or hk HS > c.lk xx ex LK
6)lk HS or hk HS xx super

dralla

to counter cross-ups with bison, head stomp is really his only option? will the normal version be ok or do I need the EX.

and his crouching fierce p, it looks like anti-air but it's a piece of shit. im not missing anything right? this move just...kinda sucks? I stick to standing HK for AA

"to counter cross-ups with bison, head stomp is really his only option? will the normal version be ok or do I need the EX."

Teleport will get you out of a crossup. Don't use EX headstomp to get out of wakeup situations because you're pretty vulnerable when it whiffs. Use EX Devil's Reverse.

dralla

as soon as I posted that I just thought to myself.. "I could've teleported out of those cross ups last night" :lol

:[

I think I finally decided on a main, the only thing that bothers me with bison is his "sweep". he has no range while crouching, and for a charge player that just sucks.

Threi

notag
i just wanted to say that honda is really, really, really fun to play, like bison and (potentially) fuerte.

Abel is getting on my nerves, im considering dropping him for good.

TurtleSnatcher said:
EDIT: 1 thing I noticed is no one joins my Champ games with the icon so I may change back.. I think people find El Fuerte hella hard to face or lame or they think I know RSF really well and will rape them with it :lol

bingo.

"I think I finally decided on a main, the only thing that bothers me with bison is his "sweep". he has no range while crouching, and for a charge player that just sucks."

Crouching medium kick and crouching medium punch both have pretty decent range. He doesn't have a sweep, but he doesn't really need one. Also, don't stay stuck in down-back all day. s.rh and s.mk both have huge range and are incredibly fast. Walk up, stay at a medium range and poke with s.rh or s.mk. Hold back while doing s.rh or s.mk charge.

dralla

oh I don't, I'm the most aggressive charge player I've seen yet, I like to press the guy with his standing kicks. but I play against a lot of fireball characters, being able to duck and poke is nice, like Rose. of course when I have EX it's not a concern

Threi

notag
use bison's cr. hk to close the gap quickly, or score a quick knockdown on people who have their guard down.

just make sure you use it at max range or it will be punished.

also it hides a charge pretty well.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I finally got a chance to try out the TE stick. The buttons, stick, and build itself are obviously higher quality than my SE.

BUT for some reason I hate how my hands feel when I rest them on the stick in comparison to the SE. The TE is almost totally flat whereas the SE is slanted in the section below the buttons. The best way I can describe it is typing on a flat keyboard versus a propped up one. Some ppl like it one way other like it the other. As crazy as it might sound I think I just might keep the SE over the TE...

henhowc said:
I finally got a chance to try out the TE stick. The buttons, stick, and build itself are obviously higher quality than my SE.

BUT for some reason I hate how my hands feel when I rest them on the stick in comparison to the SE. The TE is almost totally flat whereas the SE is slanted in the section below the buttons. The best way I can describe it is typing on a flat keyboard versus a propped up one. Some ppl like it one way other like it the other. As crazy as it might sound I think I just might keep the SE over the TE...

I prefer the SE over the TE as well. Get yourself a new stick and some buttons then you're set!

RedAssedApe

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
I prefer the SE over the TE as well. Get yourself a new stick and some buttons then you're set!

I'm waiting for my 90 day warranty to run out as I'm still a little paranoid with all the posts over at SRK. In about a week I will be at the point of no return. AKA seal breaking time. :lol

Btw. did swapping out the stick really make that big of a difference for you? FYI I prefer the rectangular gate and ball top. My one sticking point with the SE so far has been the buttons getting occasionally stuck.

henhowc said:
I'm waiting for my 90 day warranty to run out as I'm still a little paranoid with all the posts over at SRK. In about a week I will be at the point of no return. AKA seal breaking time. :lol

Btw. did swapping out the stick really make that big of a difference for you? FYI I prefer the rectangular gate and ball top. My one sticking point with the SE so far has been the buttons getting occasionally stuck.

I used a same style stick(ball,square), but different brand. Sanwa stick, I'm sure you've heard of them. It's a lot smoother and more responsive than the stock SE stick. Once you get used to it, you'll have a hard time going back.

Buttons used to jam on me too, and it was really annoying. Also, they would sometimes just straight up stop working for random periods of time. Replacing them (I used sanwas for buttons as well) made my life a lot easier, though actually getting the buttons was a pppaaaiiinnnn lol.

So pretty much I have a TE stick in a SE shell.

C- Warrior said:
Funny how you think that yet I find Vega absolutely lame to play against... :lol

Update on some stats.

I hit (I can't remember) 6150 or 6050 GP tonight. Was a bit of a bitch. I can't win consistently. Now I can see how Saqs got up there so fast.. He probably won 90% of his matches.

I did break into the top 1000 for GP on XBL.. I'm proud!

4319_102618380398_560865398_2949763_5897788_n.jpg

I've hit 350 hours of playtime.. (I dont idle in game). I'm almost at 5000 matches too

4319_102618485398_560865398_2949769_3192723_n.jpg

I've somehow rebounded in Championship Wins in G2.. Before I was like 6 wins 12 second places.. Now I'm well beyond that. Pretty proud of myself for that.

4319_102618530398_560865398_2949770_3778088_n.jpg

Fuerte still getting some heavy loving.. He is now pulling away from Gen. Gen was close to actually passing him just a few weeks ago.

4319_102618605398_560865398_2949771_2982285_n.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
I used a same style stick(ball,square), but different brand. Sanwa stick, I'm sure you've heard of them. It's a lot smoother and more responsive than the stock SE stick. Once you get used to it, you'll have a hard time going back.

Buttons used to jam on me too, and it was really annoying. Also, they would sometimes just straight up stop working for random periods of time. Replacing them (I used sanwas for buttons as well) made my life a lot easier, though actually getting the buttons was a pppaaaiiinnnn lol.

So pretty much I have a TE stick in a SE shell.

How much did all of that set you back? I was looking at LizardLick just now. Is that where you got your stuff? Or Akhibara shop?

Its funny to me how a single button is so pricey. (I am of the Cheapassgamer variety). I was contemplating only replacing 6 out of the 8 buttons. :lol

henhowc said:
How much did all of that set you back? I was looking at LizardLick just now. Is that where you got your stuff? Or Akhibara shop?

Its funny to me how a single button is so pricey. (I am of the Cheapassgamer variety). I was contemplating only replacing 6 out of the 8 buttons. :lol

I got my buttons from lizardlick (2 month wait.) And stick from Gremlin Solutions (5 day wait) The buttons are actually very reasonably priced, even for a cheapassgamer :p

Stick - $24
Buttons - 6 x 3$ = 18$
Performing Sagat bullshit on command = Priceless

I think I saw a poster in this thread(this page also) selling some buttons and a stick if you wanna go that route.

MIMIC

Banned
All I need is the Bitter Victor title (winning 30 Xbox Live rounds via judgment) and I'll have all of the achievements. :D I have 17 judgment wins, IIRC. Then I can get back to actually playing the game.

I played a bunch of Flowchart Kens to get the 30 Super finishes (and I made sure to remove my icon and title so they wouldn't boot me). Just so they thought they actually had a chance, I would let them rough me up a bit....so they wouldn't leave in frustration after the match was over. I even let some of them win rounds. I wonder if they knew that I was just trying to build my meter. And I would accept some friend requests from them to insure that they wouldn't leave :lol

I tried the same thing on a Ryu, until I figured out that he was actually pretty good....scratch that, he had a good STRATEGY: wait for me to jump then SRK. It wasn't until the 2nd round that I figured out that I couldn't "toy" with him like the rest of them. So after donating him the first round--lol--he beat me in 5. So then, I play him again to redeem my dignity. He beats me in 4. Fuck it....I'm on a mission! :lol So I leave to wrangle me some more scrubs.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
alright screw lizard lick, they are still packing the same day as 2 weeks ago when I ordered. Won't get my stuff for actually 1 year at this rate.

Cancelled and ordered all the kit from Gremlin solutions instead. Well that's UK based so I hope they don't rape me on shipping like UK people always do.

I want my modded SE stick. the standard stick is ok. waaay better than a hori and no problems with sticky buttons yet, but I want that new stuff anyway.

Getting my butt kicked in G2 as well. I quite regularly make it to the final, but only won 2 finals so far and I'm almost at 3k GP :lol

People are wise to blankas shenanigans in the finals it seems and I face only ryus who are VERY good. Or Sagat. Fuck I hate sagat. His tiger shots are so fast you can't get through with FADC. If you dash forward the next one catches you :(

yeb

TurtleSnatcher said:
I hit (I can't remember) 6150 or 6050 GP tonight. Was a bit of a bitch. I can't win consistently. Now I can see how Saqs got up there so fast.. He probably won 90% of his matches.
90% is actually a really good estimate, I think. Before championship mode came out, I'd won around 63% of my matches, and after climbing to G1 I'm up to 70% wins. My old longest winning streak was 21 wins, a week or two ago I saw it had increased to 34, and now I'm in a 41 game win streak that's still going. The problem is that when I fight someone good, win or lose, I'm forced to move on and it's unlikely I'll see them again. I used to like playing good people in ranked battles over and over.

My stats for championship mode so far:
G3 - 26 wins, 10 times runner up, 4884 max CP
G2 - 107 wins, 23 times runner up, 63571 max CP
My record over the past 30 tournaments is (seriously, you might not want to look)
108-4.
:lol

G2 just became steadily worse. No surprise my record is actually better than it was in G3, which was loaded with good players for the first weekend. Most of my losses over the past month have been in player matches, and I don't play those nearly as often.

Zapages said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned:

The complete Alternative costume pack for SF IV: 12.49 from an email that I've received by PS...

Street Fighter®
IV Complete
Alternate Costume
Pack
Rated T:
Alcohol Reference,
Mild Suggestive
Themes, Violence
$12.49

http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/s...PSStoreNWs_W006_PS3_A8J_001_StreetFighterIV_H

PS: This is PSN USA... :)

Can people who got the brawler pack with the CE, get the all in one? I tried looking for it on Friday before I took my flight. Also saw in the alternate costume thread that the same thing was happening with other CE buyers.

FindMyFarms said:
Um, if you have the life lead and you're opponent doesn't attack you, that's a guaranteed victory via time out. The second your opponent mounts an offensive, you lose that guarantee. So I'll ask it again like I keep doing, why would you want your opponent to attack you?
Yeah, no. Call me square if you want too, but time-outs rub me the wrong way unless I took my sweet-ass time against a Zangief. It'd be an empty victory for me personally if I were the winner, guarantees be damned.

Also wrote a lengthy answer for your question, but then I realized it made me look like an OCD case, so I deleted it altogether. :lol

Freshmaker said:
But then, I'm sick of the gnawing hole in my gut when a Zangief pops up. Poor Dhalsim... If I see a "I hate projectiles" or a Zangeif pic prior to the match, I dive to Blanka. I'll even count the number of spaces the other guy moves to help minimize nasty Zangeif surprises.)
Zangief isn't so bad for Dhalsim actually if you're patient. I mean, yeah, he can inflict serious damage when you're within his range, but Dhalsim also has all the tools to outzone him for the longest of times. I almost feel sorry for 'em when I see this happen in other match video's. Anyway: I used to have many issues with this match-up as well, but if you keep practising against him, he won't be much of a problem anymore (unless you're up against an insanely good Zangief).

Zabka said:
I only fought MicVlad once, but he didn't use Dhalsim's knee to counter any of my jump-ins. The Dhalsims I've fought who do use it, plus all his other tools, can zone Honda pretty effectively.
Not making excuses here to make myself look better, but I'll explain that. I'm aware that Dhalsim has good anti-air tools, but I still need to get used to 'em. Every time I tried to keep someone at bay with back + mid-punch / back + heavy kick, it usually backfired on me and then I'd get severely punished over it. In other words: that's one of the things I still need to work on.

sonicspear64 said:
MicVlad's scare tactics don't work on me anymore! :D
To be fair (and no disrespect to you), I wasn't really bothering in our recent matches. Championship Mode kind of ticked me off when you sent that invite, and I wasn't in the mood to face yet another Ken. Hence why I just stayed at the opposite end of the screen doing absolutely nothing at times.

haunts said:
MicVlad, this ones for you. lol

I would have never looked if you hadent of messaged me. LOL
I TOLD YOU THAT GUY WAS NUTS

Oichi said:
Man, I'm done with this game for the next two weeks lol. In one night I've seen so much dumb shit against my Honda that I'm just DONE with playing right now.
You should give Dhalsim a go. He'd drive you insane with all his hitbox inaccuracies. ;p

Rocky_Balboa said:
Edit: MicVlad, I think the lag was on my end, because I had some lag spikes after that match too. In the final round the lag really fucked up my EX-HB just before the ultra. ;)
That final headbutt not "working" wasn't because of lag, by the way. I saw the yellow EX flashes while the Ultra was hovering over Balrog so you definitely pulled it off, but I pressed down + mid-punch (which always beats the headbutt if timed correctly) as soon as you got up, so I could counter that before you went right through that fireball. Was a gamble on my part, and I was hoping you'd use it to escape from the Ultra.

Feral Youth said:
Fuck it, I'm now a Ken user, I can only win championships with this guy. Sometimes maybe Honda.
PICK DAN INSTEAD, DUDE

MicVlaD said:
That final headbutt not "working" wasn't because of lag, by the way. I saw the yellow EX flashes while the Ultra was hovering over Balrog so you definitely pulled it off, but I pressed down + mid-punch (which always beats the headbutt if timed correctly) as soon as you got up, so I could counter that before you went right through that fireball. Was a gamble on my part, and I was hoping you'd use it to escape from the Ultra.
Hmm, I thought EX-Headbutt beats all normals as long it hits? Normal headbutts can be beaten sometimes with sweeps and low attacks, but not the EX. Not 100% on this though. Or maybe Dhalsim's c.mp is an exception.

yeb said:
90% is actually a really good estimate, I think. Before championship mode came out, I'd won around 63% of my matches, and after climbing to G1 I'm up to 70% wins. My old longest winning streak was 21 wins, a week or two ago I saw it had increased to 34, and now I'm in a 41 game win streak that's still going. The problem is that when I fight someone good, win or lose, I'm forced to move on and it's unlikely I'll see them again. I used to like playing good people in ranked battles over and over.

My stats for championship mode so far:
G3 - 26 wins, 10 times runner up, 4884 max CP
G2 - 107 wins, 23 times runner up, 63571 max CP
My record over the past 30 tournaments is (seriously, you might not want to look)
108-4.
:lol

G2 just became steadily worse. No surprise my record is actually better than it was in G3, which was loaded with good players for the first weekend. Most of my losses over the past month have been in player matches, and I don't play those nearly as often.
What the flying shit.

I hate you Yeb.

That is the most insane record ever.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
OMG El Fuerte is SO FUN. I haven't won a match with him yet but it's so awesome to go crazy aggressive instead of turtling like a loser with Honda.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
MicVlaD said:
Zangief isn't so bad for Dhalsim actually if you're patient. I mean, yeah, he can inflict serious damage when you're within his range, but Dhalsim also has all the tools to outzone him for the longest of times. I almost feel sorry for 'em when I see this happen in other match video's. Anyway: I used to have many issues with this match-up as well, but if you keep practising against him, he won't be much of a problem anymore (unless you're up against an insanely good Zangief).
Yeah, I'm getting the tricks down finally. Took me forever to figure out that Geif's jumping fierce loses to a hk slide etc. Still a long, dull fight for me.

Here's today's 'Phat Combos - Most of which aren't too practical' video of the day.

Yeah, I'm hating because I wish I could do all of this :p - I think I can do most of it though. But a lot of the advanced/expert seems like a waste of bar. But what do I know, this is a combo video, and it does show a lot of phat awesome combos. And I will be taking parts of the bigger combos and integrating them into my game, definitely not the whole strings though.

Props to DjB for the awesome video and syck skillz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDLOMTwlJic&fmt=18

That full stun combo is just FILTHY though. cot damn.

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.jpg

Argh. Lately Championship mode has been super annoying and I've been playing like shit. Somehow it is harder to find good connections and there a lot of these buggy players with 3 servers in the same search.

I'm at 14100 GP now and once I get to G1, I'll take a nice long break from CMode. Too many Giefs and turtling Sagats for now.

GG, MicVlad and Won earlier today.

E: Even the Ryu/Ken scrubs are giving me a hard time. :(

Edit2: Seems like when I search for a 1st round match, there is always at least 5 "ghost" servers there. 3 for one tag and another 2 for a different tag. WTF is going on?

Killa Sasa said:
Here's today's 'Phat Combos - Most of which aren't too practical' video of the day.

Yeah, I'm hating because I wish I could do all of this :p - I think I can do most of it though. But a lot of the advanced/expert seems like a waste of bar. But what do I know, this is a combo video, and it does show a lot of phat awesome combos. And I will be taking parts of the bigger combos and integrating them into my game, definitely not the whole strings though.

fffuuucccccckkkkk

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Killa Sasa said:

wow

Was that a full stun combo at the end? Jesus.

Won

Rocky_Balboa said:
Too many Giefs and turtling Sagats for now.

And Balrogs! I played more Balrogs than Ryus today. Can't blame them.......

Killa Sasa said:

I love how the camera doesn't change on Cammy's ultra, if you hit it with the end part. Should be an option for all ultras.

Oh yeah, nice combos too. *blocks low*

Top Bottom