• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

FindMyFarms said:
It's about honor. Back in the day when you played in the arcade, doin stuff like that and tick throwing was enough to start a fight. There was actually this one time someone got shot over tick throws, and he was warned too. It's easier to do this stuff online since you don't have to see the other person's face, but that's called having no shame. Play the game right.

meh, trash talk always got on my nerves way more than any "cheap/abused" moves in the arcades. there's this one guy who i always see at the CVS2 machine on my college campus, dude talks massive shit during the game, and to top it off he's not even good, he stands there talking massive shit win or lose, he's like the BJ Penn of CVS2 (talk wise, not skill wise). now, to me, thats a good way of getting your ass beat down.

BitchTits

VALKYRAY said:
that's y i say this game is extremely unbalanced kthxbye
So it's the game's fault you suck? ;)

Speaking of sucking, I took my SE stick for a whirl last night online. I was doing fine in Player matches until I hit anyone decent then I just turned to jelly. I had to relegate myself to offline Arcade mode to practice. I'm not as bad as I thought I would be though, Viper seems my best stick character so far, Gen is a lot of trouble for me now - I don't want to go back to a pad, but I miss my Gen wins.

I hope to customise the stick, the 4-way/8-way thing, would the 8 way help a stick newbie?

FindMyFarms said:
It's about honor. Back in the day when you played in the arcade, doin stuff like that and tick throwing was enough to start a fight. There was actually this one time someone got shot over tick throws, and he was warned too. It's easier to do this stuff online since you don't have to see the other person's face, but that's called having no shame. Play the game right.

Violence in the arcade used to happen over here too, but I only heard the stories. I was never really into the arcade scene until SFIV launched. I played some GGXX very casually and I've had some people look at me like they would just love to kick my ass. (IRL)

Probably because I don't believe in shitty mercy rounds unless I'm playing someone that is extremely shitty and obviously very new to the game. Are they gonna give me back my 15 cents if I lose thanks to me giving them mercy rounds? Fuck no they wont! :(

VALKYRAY

Banned
BitchTits said:

Speaking of sucking, I took my SE stick for a whirl last night online. I was doing fine in Player matches until I hit anyone decent then I just turned to jelly. I had to relegate myself to offline Arcade mode to practice. I'm not as bad as I thought I would be though, Viper seems my best stick character so far, Gen is a lot of trouble for me now - I don't want to go back to a pad, but I miss my Gen wins.

I hope to customise the stick, the 4-way/8-way thing, would the 8 way help a stick newbie?
i know i am not tournament level player, but i would say i am decent, I made to top 8 in the 3rd round of gamestop's national tournament

Arde5643

TurtleSnatcher said:
Anyways broke my CP record barely tonight and got to upload a new replay. I keep getting low CP totals at the end of my tournaments .. :\

I uploaded the replay on YouTube.. I just ultra'd to win both rounds because he kept making unsafe jumps. I played horrible too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PezRadar

(May still be uploading at time of this post)
Hi Turtle, some few suggestions from the videos:

Against Gief: tostada splash/propeller/fajita buster can be dangerous to use against Gief since if the Gief does the backdash correctly on time, he can do SPD right away while you're recovering from the whiffed move.
Of course, this only works if the Gief knows about it. :p

I find that Fuerte's jumping fierce is an excellent tool to keep a lock down on Gief - it takes care of backdashers and recovers fast enough for you to do another move if blocked.
And yes, Fuerte's jumping fierce beats all of Gief's options on wake up besides FA to dashing away. Just make sure you hit it earlier than with other characters since Gief has a huge hitbox - you can get hit by wake-up lariat if you hit it late.

Against Boxer: i would suggest not to use too many wall-jumps to splash since a boxer who's used to it will just do headbutt that will either trade or beat the splash.

A normal move I've started using against boxer is the far s.HK.
You cannot really use this move to anticipate a dash punch but you can throw it randomly since it sometimes hit boxers doing dash punches. And if it's whiffed, you have enough recovery time to block and sometimes even do a run back to tortilla propeller/splash.
One useful random application of far s.HK is that it hits armored dash punches twice for a whopping damage of 210 and a good stun.

Far s.HK beats all armor dash punches, TAP, and overhead. It basically beats all of the slower dash punches (which usually armor breaks). Fuerte's FA will take care of the fast dash punches since none of them are armor breaking.

Other use of this move is to slowly move Fuerte close to a turtling boxer without using the run. Far s.HK moves Fuerte a bit forward so you can catch a turtling boxer by surprise by doing a quick run to splash.

Ambigious cross up jumping fierce on wake up can be pretty useful since it will whiff headbutts and I think you can try to do a quick guacamole throw on a whiff headbutt.
And if Boxer tries to do a TAP to escape the cross up, sometimes it will end up facing you where you get a free throw to punish it.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
TurtleSnatcher said:
Seth is a console char.. seems to be holding his own just fine. The console chars I think are fine minus maybe Rose and Sakura needing a bit of loving.

What's up with Rose? I use her and Boxer and do ok with both but if there are some glaring weaknesses I'd like some input so I can avoid them.

Like the fucking SRK shortcut "Hahah eat my... soul throw :_("

Dreavus

BitchTits said:

I had a similar experience tonight, being an SE stick nub myself =P. Played a Championship, got to the final no problem... then I faced a crazy Blanka and I just completely crashed and burned. I admit, it gets pretty frustrating sometimes being a completely new player to arcade sticks, coming off hours and hours of playing with a pad.

It's funny though, I was almost like I was putting the pad on some kind of pedestal. Every time I missed an input on the stick I thought to myself "fuck this, why am I even bothering, I could be using a pad". However, at one point I actually switched back to the pad... and it didn't seem as great as I once thought. I'm going to resist the temptation to do that from now on.

Jumping into training seems to help, for me at least. I went in and did Sakura's tastu motions over and over again just getting the movements down (something I was having trouble with), and it seems to be pretty consistent so far. This was after that Championship though, so I haven't played a match yet to put my training to the test. Chances are I'll just freeze up again in the final and blame the stick. :lol

Arde5643 said:
Hi Turtle, some few suggestions from the videos:

Against Gief: tostada splash/propeller/fajita buster can be dangerous to use against Gief since if the Gief does the backdash correctly on time, he can do SPD right away while you're recovering from the whiffed move.
Of course, this only works if the Gief knows about it. :p

I find that Fuerte's jumping fierce is an excellent tool to keep a lock down on Gief - it takes care of backdashers and recovers fast enough for you to do another move if blocked.
And yes, Fuerte's jumping fierce beats all of Gief's options on wake up besides FA to dashing away. Just make sure you hit it earlier than with other characters since Gief has a huge hitbox - you can get hit by wake-up lariat if you hit it late.

Against Boxer: i would suggest not to use too many wall-jumps to splash since a boxer who's used to it will just do headbutt that will either trade or beat the splash.

A normal move I've started using against boxer is the far s.HK.
You cannot really use this move to anticipate a dash punch but you can throw it randomly since it sometimes hit boxers doing dash punches. And if it's whiffed, you have enough recovery time to block and sometimes even do a run back to tortilla propeller/splash.
One useful random application of far s.HK is that it hits armored dash punches twice for a whopping damage of 210 and a good stun.

Far s.HK beats all armor dash punches, TAP, and overhead. It basically beats all of the slower dash punches (which usually armor breaks). Fuerte's FA will take care of the fast dash punches since none of them are armor breaking.

Other use of this move is to slowly move Fuerte close to a turtling boxer without using the run. Far s.HK moves Fuerte a bit forward so you can catch a turtling boxer by surprise by doing a quick run to splash.

Ambigious cross up jumping fierce on wake up can be pretty useful since it will whiff headbutts and I think you can try to do a quick guacamole throw on a whiff headbutt.
And if Boxer tries to do a TAP to escape the cross up, sometimes it will end up facing you where you get a free throw to punish it.

Do i cross up Gief or just jump straight up fierce?

If he blocks arent you punishable on that land.

That boxer match was bad.. I screwed up on FA's and everything just didn't go well.

Garcian

I just faced probably my 3rd El Fuerte online & was completely ownz0red by Tostada splashes - nerf please!!1111 :/

Seriously, any other Bison players out there have any tips for countering?

MGrant

Garcian said:
I just faced probably my 3rd El Fuerte online & was completely ownz0red by Tostada splashes - nerf please!!1111 :/

Seriously, any other Bison players out there have any tips for countering?

I'm a Fuerte player, but I have the most trouble with Bison when he keeps the pressure up. Learn how to block cross-up tostadas or backstep or teleport away. Also, for all characters, you can focus attack and stop every dash attack he has except the throws. Really it's just a matter of throwing off his rhythm and getting him to fight you on the ground, where you have the advantage. Also, don't do too many stomps. Fuerte's air throw or guacamole will get you every time.

Garcian

MGrant said:
Fuerte's air throw or guacamole will get you every time.

I learned that the hard way...

So the tostada can be blocked then? I could've sworn I tried both regular & cross-up blocking & ate the floor both times. I guess I just need to get more familiar with the match up :)

Garcian said:

So the tostada can be blocked then? I could've sworn I tried both regular & cross-up blocking & ate the floor both times. I guess I just need to get more familiar with the match up :)

He may have been switching.. Fuerte players can switch back and forth between cross up or non.. hard to tell to be honest.. Its a guessing game. If you can EX Psycho Crush out of it then you will be good. Or Teleport thats the easiest way.

sfivstick444.png

STILL WAITING ON MY TOURNAMENT EDITION (THE ONE I ORDERED BACK IN JANUARI)!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE WILL BE ABLE TO GET ONE STARTING FROM APRIL MY FOOT MADCATZ

Arde5643

TurtleSnatcher said:
Do i cross up Gief or just jump straight up fierce?

If he blocks arent you punishable on that land.

That boxer match was bad.. I screwed up on FA's and everything just didn't go well.
Really? Based on the frame data, it doesn't seem like Gief can punish you on blocked jumping fierce.

Blocked jumping fierce does 15 frame block stun, the recovery time from landing is 4 frames so I think you have enough time to do close s.HP as well since it has 8 frame start up.
The only thing I can think Gief can do is the EX flying powerbomb since it has armor. Does the EX SPD have invincibility to hit?

Hmm, I might have to reverse my opinion on using jumping fierce on Gief. One of the experienced guys in SRK said that if the Gief is experienced in using crouching lariat, it might trade with the jumping fierce which is really bad news for Fuerte.

Arde5643

Garcian said:

You can just FA the tostada splash.

Aeris130

TurtleSnatcher said:
Seth is a console char.. seems to be holding his own just fine. The console chars I think are fine minus maybe Rose and Sakura needing a bit of loving.

He's playable in the console version. Same with Gouken.

Aeris130 said:
He's playable in the console version. Same with Gouken.
No shit sherlock..

I'm not saying he's not playable we all know he's playable

Christ I have like 1/4th of the posts on the thread do you think I don't know that?

I'm responding to the guy saying "The game is balanced minus the console chars and guile/vega" and I was saying that Seth ranks up pretty high and ranks well with others along with a majority of the console characters minus Sakura and Rose who are pretty low tier but then again that means shit for our type of play unless we are professionals.

Aeris130

TurtleSnatcher said:
No shit sherlock..

I'm not saying he's not playable we all know he's playable

Christ I have like 1/4th of the posts on the thread do you think I don't know that?

I'm responding to the guy saying "The game is balanced minus the console chars and guile/vega" and I was saying that Seth ranks up pretty high and ranks well with others along with a majority of the console characters minus Sakura and Rose who are pretty low tier but then again that means shit for our type of play unless we are professionals.

I thought you implied that "console chars are bad/underdeveloped" were wrong due to the fact that Seth is a console char and not bad/underdeveloped, which is kinda irrelevant since he's not a console character.

PS3 users, I am in need of help.

I have had the game on PS3 for a couple of weeks now and finally am getting around to playing around with it. However, I am getting absolutely HORRIBLE returns for match searches. I'm talking just one or two returns, 1 -2 bar connections, and sometimes it says "please widen search".

Is there a setting I should be looking for on my PS3 that constricts the network connection that I should change/turn off?

I know that the PS3 returns are abnormal because I've played the 360 version for so long that even on its worst day I'm getting twice the search returns. I'm thinking that perhaps there is a setting the PS3 doesn't like.

I have not used the PS3 for any multiplayer gaming. This is the first one, so it's uncharted territory.

ANY help is truly appreciated.

BitchTits

TurtleSnatcher said:
I liked his use of j.HP in the blue-faced stance, I've never used that. Most of my air game has relied on MK in the other stance since it beats out a lot of stuff.

I try now to follow Super with the KKK Ultra because it looks flashier and I think unnerves the opponent. Only have about a 20% success rate with it though!

MicVlaD said:
sfivstick444.png

STILL WAITING ON MY TOURNAMENT EDITION (THE ONE I ORDERED BACK IN JANUARI)!!!!!!!!

LOL. I had one pre-ordered since January too. I kept being told April as well. I got fed up and decided to pay $50 more and get it from Ebay. I got a TE for both PS3 and 360, as I intend to play in tourneys and need to have one for either. Glad I didn't wait, as I'd **STILL** be waiting.

Augemitbutter said:
click on the 32k post count beside this thread.

Holy shit, I have 643 posts in this thread?!?? Can't believe I'm 4th and I didn't even start posting until page 200-something LOL. It's funny, cuz I doubt anyone in this thread even knows I'm posting.

This is what happens when I don't have a working ps3. I end up talking about the game instead of playing it. If only talking about this game gave me some actual skillz :(

Won

Got in my first finale with Dan! Finally. Against a Blanka. I hate Blanka. Especially with Dan. Wasn't even a good Blanka. Still got perfected in the first round. And then I lost. Obviously. :(

At least he will never be able to upload a replay again with 83k CP. :lol
Must be the only replay with Dan in it on Live. :D

Also GG Arde. Not sure what you were doing, but GG. ^^
Considering I just woke up I guess it was just very late for you.

two of my friends just got the game and I've been constantly playing with them to help them improve. I just know I'm gonna get fucking ganked the next time I play someone on my skill level.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
TurtleSnatcher said:
Heh I've played you before w/o even realizing.

What? Where? How? Who? If you were using Fuerte, you probably kicked my ass. He confuses the hell outta me. Hey, you use Gen right? You got mk to hands down yet? Still can't do it reliably. I wanna be able to do it on command and to also be able to link it after a standard hands combo--like say, mp>hands>mk>hands. Think that'll work as a real combo and if it doesn't it's still pretty snazzy for pressure.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
MicVlaD said:
sfivstick444.png

why not go the SE/sanwa mod route?

That is essentially the same as a TE as far as I understand it and it'll run you less money, by around fifty E bux I think.

I get my sanwa bits probably monday 'rubs hands'

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
PS3 users, I am in need of help.

I have had the game on PS3 for a couple of weeks now and finally am getting around to playing around with it. However, I am getting absolutely HORRIBLE returns for match searches. I'm talking just one or two returns, 1 -2 bar connections, and sometimes it says "please widen search".

Is there a setting I should be looking for on my PS3 that constricts the network connection that I should change/turn off?

I know that the PS3 returns are abnormal because I've played the 360 version for so long that even on its worst day I'm getting twice the search returns. I'm thinking that perhaps there is a setting the PS3 doesn't like.

I have not used the PS3 for any multiplayer gaming. This is the first one, so it's uncharted territory.

ANY help is truly appreciated.

i've been playing both versions on multiple network setups since launch, i think that's just how it is on ps3 -- fewer players online and maybe a different search protocol.

On the subject of cross ups, what's the deal with Ken/Ryu/Sagat's j.HK (mk). Sometimes when I'm close to them I'll block high and I still eat it. Other times I'll block the opposite way (thinking maybe it's a cross up attack) and I'll eat it. And some other times I'll be stupid and try and crouch block and I'll eat it even harder. My reations are a little slow so it's hard for me to AA those jump ins but I feel like they have an unnnaturally large hit box that makes it hard to block :(

If people need help finding sticks I can try to help but not today.. I'm not in the office :p

(Holy shit at me being 2nd in posts in this thread.. and will probably surpass _dementia)

Vdragoon

Jumping in on Gief on knockdown is a NO NO. His lariat will either beat you or trade, either way it is not in your favour.

Still waiting for my Arcade in a Box stick I ordered way back in Feb. Only 52 others ahead of me. Hopefully, I get my stick at the end of this month or early next month.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Haven't played in a while but want to have a go with more gaffers. Is there any sort of etiquette to sending out game invites? I'm always afraid that I would be interrupting those whom I see playing SF4 on the GAF SF4 friend list.

LakeEarth

Any advice on doing FA -> dash -> ultra for charge characters? I can do the dash -> ultra without the FA, but for some reason after the FA->dash it never wants to come out.

EDIT - I'm doing hold back, start FA, FA hits, forward forward back forward punches/kicks.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i find it easier to start charging after the fa hits, dash in, and then do the whole ultra motion -- with guile you've got enough time, though probably there are other characters who can't hit a full ultra that way

hwateber

dunno how interested you guys are, but triumvir x capcom street fighter shirts just got restocked on the triumvir store. I picked up a ryu tee myself.

Top Bottom