• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Happened to stumble upon Mr Wizard from Shoryuken.com yesterday in Championship Mode. He picked Rufus, and he (indirectly) taught me a valuable lesson: Rufus' Ultra on block is NOT punishable with Dhalsim's Ultra, as he EX Messiah Kick'd out of there right before it connected. Noticeably reduced my odds of winning the last round (score was 1 - 1) when that happened. :[ Good game though, didn't mind losing to him at all and I simultaneously learned something new anyways. Also lost a match against a Vega once in a very similar fashion, now that I think about it... I baited Vega's Ultra, blocked it, immediatedly did a Reversal Ultra and it didn't connect. Worst part of it all: I assumed it would and followed it up with Dhalsim's Super as well, but neither hit because Vega could recover fast enough to do that evasive cartwheel move. Should've done a reversal Super first (which DOES connect after a blocked Vega Ultra).

Oh, and I'll probably be the only one complaining about it, but if we're going to talk about nerfs for the inevitable revision: am I the only one who wants Capcom to reduce the efficiency of jabs to some extent? I don't mean when they're used for combo's, but rather when they're used... "defensively" if you catch my drift.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I am working on hop to ultra now, so perhaps that will help with my hit % on this but I was just illustrating that I do not know this "magical range" that the Ultra hits at 100%.

just quite close. If they are doing anything other than 'low block' it freezes them so they eat the whole thing. I've connected this at distances I thought I was fucked for sure. It's doesn't have to be Right on top of them.

See if you can get the training dummy to block high only (can't remember) then trigger the ultra at various distances. if he's blocking high it should hit and you will be able to tell by the look on his face as soon as it activates.

Also, it has another weird property, if it connects 2 times on the way up, or 2 times before hitting the ground, you can't 'put the brakes on' and get full damage.

CPS2

This guy's motto is funny:

SL370254.jpg

He sent me this message after I beat him:

SL370251.jpg

What a nice fellow.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
the worst is when they hit you when you're not blocking. I mean, wtf guys I'm tryna do a move here.

Ledsen

myDingling said:
Let's talk about buffs instead of nerfs. We're all kind of biased against those chars we don't play. Hell if it were up to me I'd take away Blanka's electricity and give Sagat 900 stamina :lol

Cammy - Needs one of the following things 1) Safe SA on block 2) Safe Canon Spike on block 3) Faster startup on SBF 4) Hooligan throws crouching opponent 5) Better juggle options for ultra.

Like 1 or 2 of those improvements above would make her a threat to most.

Also, random Q for cammy players: how do you do her canon strike on the ground to build meter? I always see high level players doing it but I can't figure out the inputs...

you do it normally, but before pressing kick you roll the joystick to up-forward.

FindMyFarms said:
TURTLESNATCHER

I'm tellin you man! If you prefer pad stick with it! Everyone saying that "stick is so much better" as if it's a fact are flat out wrong. There's probably TWO things that you can do better on a stick vs pad, Kara's and Piano inputs. If you find yourself using neither, I can't think of any reason to use a stick. SRK's are easier to do, "I can fadc like butter", etc. etc., all that stuff is just preference.

Remember, it's about what YOU like using. Stick vs Pad is preference and nothing else.
Eh, I've been using nothing but standard controllers for beat 'em ups for years now (out of necessity) and while I've usually gotten reasonably good eventually, you can tell after a while that a pad is holding you back. Not necessarily skill-wise, but you start to notice that your execution (and sometimes reflexes) suffer due to it from time to time. I always use the analog stick whenever possible by the way, since just about every D-Pad is no good for me personally.

Not saying the arcade stick is the be all, end all control method - how could I as I never really gotten to use one before? - for beat 'em ups, but it seems like the better (scratch that: "easier") option if you want to pull off / learn complicated combo's, links et cetera. More precision too, I reckon.

Freshmaker said:
I'll cheerfully eat an ex ball with Dhalsim. Usually ends up with Blanka taking worse in trade. Rainbow balls? Even better if I have super or Ultra. Ultra doesn't matter thanks to teleports etc.

Does end up pretty much being a pokefest, but he doesn't take enough away that I have to stand there doing nothing but chip damage.
If you have enough health, you want Blanka's Ultra to hit you (while blocking naturally). Very easy to punish afterwards with Dhalsim's Ultra, Super or both in fact.

BotoxAgent said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJViqlfkKE4

I was impressed by this Fei. His Focus Attacks are deadly.
Too bad that Ken was nowhere near that Fei-Long's level. You can tell when he starts mashing buttons, like the majority of the shoto players out there on Xbox Live.

BitchTits said:
And Rolento please :D
And Maki! And Eagle!

UC1 said:
throwsbroken333.png

MicVlaD said:
Eh, I've been using nothing but standard controllers for beat 'em ups for years now (out of necessity) and while I've usually gotten reasonably good eventually, you can tell after a while that a pad is holding you back. Not necessarily skill-wise, but you start to notice that your execution (and sometimes reflexes) suffer due to it from time to time. I always use the analog stick whenever possible by the way, since just about every D-Pad is no good for me personally.

Not saying the arcade stick is the be all, end all control method - how could I as I never really gotten to use one before? - for beat 'em ups, but it seems like the better (scratch that: "easier") option if you want to pull off / learn complicated combo's, links et cetera. More precision too, I reckon.

That's still personal preference and by no means fact. Dpad has never hindered my execution, I can't even remember the last time I missed a fireball or dp, not to mention walk up 360's are cake. Lots of top tekken players use pads, and a buddy of mine (who's prob. the best kof 11 player in America) also uses pad. Pad might be holding you back, but not everyone.

I will say though that most pads ARE trash. I've played on a 360 pad and questioned suicide. My personal pad of choice is the dual shock, separated directions = win for me, plus shoulder buttons allow me to kara.

I will say though that performing a kara with a shoulder + face button on pad is easy, it's annoying doing them w/ 2 face buttons. Also "p"linking and pianos (both are game specific btw) are a little harder on pad.

I'm not saying pad>stick or stick>pad, just that it's personal preference.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

So I decided to finally try and finish the last 4 hard trials I'm missing (Viper's 3,4,5 and Abel's 5th). After being stuck for hours on Viper's 3rd, I unplug my stick and do it in about 3 minutes with the standard 360 pad.

Great.

C- Warrior said:
I just explained to you why. First off, if you're about a punch length away from Blanka when he has a charged ultra, and he launches it, you're fucked. And it does a lot of damage.

Not really. I play blanka and people are wise to how to block it by now, even the really bad players. If you think it needs to be blocked low, high, then low then you're mistaken. It's just low at the start of the ultra and then block high the rest of the way.

Even when I've used it to chip someone to death, some players have ultra'd or DP'd me out of it.

bananafarms said:
Lots of top tekken players use pads, and a buddy of mine (who's prob. the best kof 11 player in America)

I play tekken with pad too, any 3D fighter actually, but that's the only one I play at all. KOF too. For some reason I can't do KOF supers on my stick all the time.

Actually, it's FindMyFarms :p

BTW akachan (off topic)
Do you play kof98 on GGPO? I'm trying to learn the series before KoF 12 comes out, wouldn't mind some pointers here and there. Kinda sucks though, cuz I like using the black basketball player dude, and he isn't in 12 :/

FindMyFarms said:
Actually, it's FindMyFarms :p

BTW akachan (off topic)
Do you play kof98 on GGPO? I'm trying to learn the series before KoF 12 comes out, wouldn't mind some pointers here and there. Kinda sucks though, cuz I like using the black basketball player dude, and he isn't in 12 :/

I just play 3S once in a while. I wouldn't mind playing some of the other ggpo games but I'm too lazy to look for the files. send me a pm if you know...

FindMyFarms said:
That's still personal preference and by no means fact. Dpad has never hindered my execution, I can't even remember the last time I missed a fireball or dp, not to mention walk up 360's are cake. Lots of top tekken players use pads, and a buddy of mine (who's prob. the best kof 11 player in America) also uses pad. Pad might be holding you back, but not everyone.

I will say though that most pads ARE trash. I've played on a 360 pad and questioned suicide. My personal pad of choice is the dual shock, separated directions = win for me, plus shoulder buttons allow me to kara.

I will say though that performing a kara with a shoulder + face button on pad is easy, it's annoying doing them w/ 2 face buttons. Also "p"linking and pianos (both are game specific btw) are a little harder on pad.

I'm not saying pad>stick or stick>pad, just that it's personal preference.
Purely out of curiosity: do they hold the pad differently then, given the fact they're competing at high-level play? I just hold mine the way I do with every other game, and sometimes I can't react as fast as I want. I only use macro's for PPP and KKK though, otherwise it'd be too hard to pull off Ultra's without messing around with the button configurations. Executing link combo's at command has also been quite troublesome for me even after all this time, but that just might be a Dhalsim thing (since it looks easier with other characters).

And funny that the Dual Shock is your controller of choice (not a diss): can't play a beat 'em up with that controller at all, let alone one that only accepts the D-Pad (i.e. Tekken 5). :lol It feels so awkward and unusual to me and no, I don't have big hands.

bumpkin

FindMyFarms said:
I mean, throwing's cheap, I don't blame him. I also hate it when people keep sweeping me, so annoying. Everyone's so cheap. T_T
Don't let the hardcore folks hear you say those things... They'll call you a scrub for not being skilled enough to avoid/get out of them. :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Don't let the hardcore folks hear you say those things... They'll call you a scrub for not being skilled enough to avoid/get out of them.

the truely hardcore don't even need throws or sweeps though?

Maybe someone can explain me something, I missed it along the way. I don't get what a 'kara' is.

Also over at shoryuken I get confused with the notations, people say 'standing short' 'crouching fierce' etc

whats kicking and what's punching when written like that?!

MicVlaD said:
Purely out of curiosity: do they hold the pad differently then, given the fact they're competing at high-level play?

Actually, yes they do, good question. Most put it on their thigh/ground/some stable surface and hold the pad portion normally, but put their palm on the button portion like they would an arcade stick.

Pad's actually have no drawacks at all in tekken due to the fact that you don't have to kara (yes i know there's 4~3 but that's not kara)or piano anything.

BitchTits

catfish said:
the worst is when they hit you when you're not blocking. I mean, wtf guys I'm tryna do a move here.
:lol

Seriously though, tick throwing is annoying. Everyone does it, personally I don't expect people to fall for it, so I only use it as a desperate last resort (timer running out, sliver of health left etc).

If someone starts tick throwing as soon as the first round starts (hello 75% of Ken/Ryu players), then I go out in full force to lock them down as quick as possible, with as many taunts as possible. :D

catfish said:
the truely hardcore don't even need throws or sweeps though?

Maybe someone can explain me something, I missed it along the way. I don't get what a 'kara' is.

Also over at shoryuken I get confused with the notations, people say 'standing short' 'crouching fierce' etc

whats kicking and what's punching when written like that?!

The punches, from weakest to strongest are

jab -> strong -> fierce

the kicks from weakest to strongest are

short -> forward -> roundhouse

Kara is cancelling the animation of a normal into another command WITHOUT hitting with the normal. Most kara's have to be performed within a very few amount of frame. The most popular Kara in SF4 is Ken's Kara throw. Press f + mk, followed IMMEDIATELY by throw(u have about 2 frames here) to greatly extend his throw range.

The reason kara is easier on Arcade stick is do the face button access. Most kara's are performed by slightly position one finger a LITTLE bit higher than the other then just dropping them on the respective buttons, ALMOST like you're pressing them at the same time, but your not.

bumpkin said:
Don't let the hardcore folks hear you say those things... They'll call you a scrub for not being skilled enough to avoid/get out of them. :lol

Pssh, they aint shit. So called "hardcore" players do the same thing over and over, hardly skilled bwahaha

1oCLiGJhbC8wCxsDG1tTVkUxL2FjaC8wLzFEAAAAAOfn5-moh9s=.jpg

Woo finally. Screw Viper.

Now to grind out the rest of Hard Survival/Time Attack with Zangief for 1000/1000 and I can be done with single player for good.

I did all normal/hard trials for all characters whenever I'd be waiting to play someone or couldn't find matches. They're fun distractions.

Survival mode can suck it though. No way I'm ever doing that or time attack lol.

h3ro

Teknopathetic said:
Survival/Time attack mode is mad easy.

Zangief. LARIAT. All day. The hardest one is the Time Attack challenge where you couldn't do special moves.

I can't beat that one. :/

I really want Color 9 too. :lol

Teknopathetic said:

Zangief. LARIAT. All day. The hardest one is the Time Attack challenge where you couldn't do special moves.

Yep, it's just ridiculously tedious. Apparently I already finished Hard Time Attack so all I have left is 4 more Hard survivals. Only 160 matches to go!

Yah it's just the monotony of it, I get bored too quick :(

BTW I actually got to run some smooth KoF 98 matches yesterday. Me being noob though, and everyone else on GGPO not being noob, it was ugly (*_*)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Teknopathetic said:

Don't you also have infinite meter for that one? Just pick Gen. With infinite meter, you can juggle into his PPP super over and over again.

Won

Caj814 said:
http://i39.tinypic.com/102rp15.gif

Not enough muscles!

Also Xbox live community is crazy today.

Shoto shoto shoto blanka shoto shoto blanka zangief shoto...

And decided to take a few rounds with Honda and....woosh hate mail. :lol

1zqd25x.png

myDingling said:
Ahh so is it: Down+Down back+back+Up back + Up + Up Forward + Kick? That's a crazy as motion @_@

Yeah, be careful about spamming it though, since the meter it builds is almost nothing lol. The ones you see doing that are playing casuals, they don't usually do that in serious matches.

iconoclast said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

So I decided to finally try and finish the last 4 hard trials I'm missing (Viper's 3,4,5 and Abel's 5th). After being stuck for hours on Viper's 3rd, I unplug my stick and do it in about 3 minutes with the standard 360 pad.

Great.

Ok so what is the trick for the jump cancel w/ Viper? I'm stuck there too.

I used to be able to do an old jump cancel into super with Twelve in 3s, but it's been too long.

Also, I'm having a hell of a time with the charge characters (Chun, Boxer).

MicVlaD said:
Happened to stumble upon Mr Wizard from Shoryuken.com yesterday in Championship Mode. He picked Rufus, and he (indirectly) taught me a valuable lesson: Rufus' Ultra on block is NOT punishable with Dhalsim's Ultra, as he EX Messiah Kick'd out of there right before it connected. Noticeably reduced my odds of winning the last round (score was 1 - 1) when that happened. :[ Good game though, didn't mind losing to him at all and I simultaneously learned something new anyways. Also lost a match against a Vega once in a very similar fashion, now that I think about it... I baited Vega's Ultra, blocked it, immediatedly did a Reversal Ultra and it didn't connect. Worst part of it all: I assumed it would and followed it up with Dhalsim's Super as well, but neither hit because Vega could recover fast enough to do that evasive cartwheel move. Should've done a reversal Super first (which DOES connect after a blocked Vega Ultra).

Oh, and I'll probably be the only one complaining about it, but if we're going to talk about nerfs for the inevitable revision: am I the only one who wants Capcom to reduce the efficiency of jabs to some extent? I don't mean when they're used for combo's, but rather when they're used... "defensively" if you catch my drift.
Pshh your not best friends with Ronstoppable though. He replied back to me with "lol" .. Yea we be tight now.

I should hit G2-B tonight. Finally! C -> B has been excruciating.

I wish I could go on a 500 game win streak :(

Teknopathetic said:
No, just do qcb, then cross over to up-forward. You don't have to roll all the way to up-forward.

Got it, thanks. I'll need to practice that.

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah, be careful about spamming it though, since the meter it builds is almost nothing lol. The ones you see doing that are playing casuals, they don't usually do that in serious matches.

Oh really? But it looks so cool. I think I'll use it as a fear inducing tactic. "Look fucker, I even kick the ground when you turtle cuz I'm so hardcore."

Arpharmd B said:
Ok so what is the trick for the jump cancel w/ Viper? I'm stuck there too.

I used to be able to do an old jump cancel into super with Twelve in 3s, but it's been too long.

Also, I'm having a hell of a time with the charge characters (Chun, Boxer).

The input is s.lk, d, df, f, d+lp, df, f, uf+ppp

What's going on is the super jump input cancels her crouching normal, but before she jumps, she has to go through her standing frames, which is when you activate the ultra.

myDingling said:
Oh really? But it looks so cool. I think I'll use it as a fear inducing tactic. "Look fucker, I even kick the ground when you turtle cuz I'm so hardcore."

Yeah, most of the time it isn't good, but sometimes you can use the spam to bait someone. Like if you're fullscreen vs. sagat, u can just spam it and hope he throws a fireball thinking you're vulnerable, then bust out an ex hooligan.

Man this game really infuriates me at times, actually it infuriates me a lot. I really hate how turtling is so abundant in SF4. I don't consider it cheating, it's a legit strategy and many characters need to be played that way. But man that doesn't stop me from getting pissed off though. I feel like I have to chase 80% of my opponents. Sometimes I'll build up a big lead and stay on the other side of the stage and see if they decide to attack me, and I've come across some who flat out refuse. Man sometimes I wish I could just be Cable from MvC2 and do HPx3>Viper beam just so piss these guys off.

Rice-Eater said:
Man this game really infuriates me at times, actually it infuriates me a lot. I really hate how turtling is so abundant in SF4. I don't consider it cheating, it's a legit strategy and many characters need to be played that way. But man that doesn't stop me from getting pissed off though. I feel like I have to chase 80% of my opponents. Sometimes I'll build up a big lead and stay on the other side of the stage and see if they decide to attack me, and I've come across some who flat out refuse. Man sometimes I wish I could just be Cable from MvC2 and do HPx3>Viper beam just so piss these guys off.

Play viper lol. If they don't move you can just spam SJ cancelled seismics ad nauseum. NO ONE ever stays still after being forced to block 5 of those in a row in a span of 2 seconds lol

BTW >> here's a video demonstration<<

If they're in a corner, there's no pushback so you can do it repeatedly. You can rack up a ridiculous amount of chip damage in no time.

FindMyFarms said:
The input is s.lk, d, df, f, d+lp, df, f, uf+ppp

I did it d+p, df, f, d, df, f, uf+ppp, but either way works. Of course the d+p has to be a link off the s.lk otherwise you won't get the HJ cancel, so there's another layer of annoyance.

edit: actually DOES it need to be a link? I'm not entirely sure about that, but I assume it does.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Rice-Eater said:

Turtles love to punish stuff, so fake your attacks and they'll either take the bait, or you can eventually walk in and grab since you'll know they're doing nothing.

Just booked my EVO flight! Woot!

Leaving July 15th from DFW.. Coming back on July 21st.

Tickets were only $278.00 out of DFW round trip. Not too bad. I had another cancelled ticket on my AAdvantage account so it came out to $155.00 round trip (Have to pay $150.00 cancellation fee)

Rice-Eater said:

Turtles fucking sucks. But SF4 seems to be all about mind games. My fave turtle fake out is to get about 4 character lengths away and just start FADCing without attacking. Just keep dashing forward and back a few times until you dash all the way in for a throw or attack. But I think this only works for the more agile characters.

Also, a lot of characters have options for closing in the gaps. If you're having trouble with turtles try other chars that have teleports or fullscreen jumps.

Rice-Eater said:

Who is your main?

Turtling is in every SF. I have no problems with turtles because my main is Rufus. I just rush those mothers down. Actually, turtling works in my favor because I can just mix up throws with fakes into combo into ultra.

Also, if you really want to get under the skin of turtlers, get a life lead on them and turtle back. Throw in some taunts too. Then when they get pissed enough and finally come after you crush them.

BigAT

Do any Blanka players have any advice on how to deal with Cammy? She's the one character I feel like I have no chance against.

Top Bottom