• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Kureishima said:
Really??? Ps3 doesn't have it?

Is there any other exclusive-type content?

On the PS3 you can vote on awesome replays!!!!

hahahahha.

the replay system is fucked. Why can't I save a replay of mine regardless of CP? I don't want anyone else to see it just me.

Also, my last replay that was available for upload corrupted. YAY now I have a fucked reply on the board seemingly forever.

Kureishima said:
Alright, after 32,000 posts, what's the consensus?

Street Fighter IV, better on 360 or Ps3 and why?

Which has better online play? I'm leaning toward Ps3 due to d-pad issues, but is there ANY other thing I should consider?
Playerwise on GAF.. I think PS3 has like maybe 3 or 4 more PS3 players.. it really isn't more then what some people say here.

PS3 though is being used at EVO so don't know if you care competitvely as your Stick may work at more 'competitive functions' though you can always just borrow someones.

Replay system

XB360 can save fav replays to hard drive and you can see input displays on any replay (ie: you can see how they control their character)

PS3 can vote on replays with some lame voting system.

Controllers -

No one uses the standard default controllers on these games but like MIMIC.. :p So thats just a toss up. Get a good pad or stick (Madcatz makes great ones for this game)

FindMyFarms said:
I clearly remember you agreeing NOT to post the ex messiah
FUCK EX MESSIAH
business lol >.<
Anyways, I learned a good lesson, galactic tornado is ALWAYS SAFE on block, even when he ex's it and Rufus friggin JIGGLES afterwards.

It was fun playing with you Turtle! Nice putting a face to the tag. You're good, and as you can see, you weren't the only pad user there either. We also proved once again that Vega is indeed trash in this game (Vega defense force in 3,2,1...)

Lastly, I really think Buktooth has the best Fuerte in America. I've seen Kai's ELF and while he's obviously great , I don't think he uses his footsies to set up run mix ups anywhere near as well as Buk.

I know most people think it's just west coast / east coast, but we have a lot of really strong players here in TX (remember, Jan OCV'd JWong's team in Tx showdown). Don't be surprised if we Tx boys lay some wupass on ya! :p

Also know that you can focus attack Honda's butt stomp and punish accordingly.

I still think I suck. I'm pretty sure I was just lucky. I really need to learn how to use stick .. I just can't use it like half the people there and when I tried it was awkward though last night using it I felt the most comfortable ever not sure why. May have been the extra motivation for me using it.

Buktooth has a great Fuerte. I think he has great bait moves and can predict well on what people are doing in patterns. He does play diff then Kai for sure. Buk uses standing Fierce Kick alot.. I need to use that shit more often. He also stops and ex leg grabs people so well. I dunno if he's best in the country.. he kept flubbing the RSF when he did do it but he's good.

The Rufus players last night were freaking gods.. Christ no way I can beat any of that crap. Dive kicks are so annoying and you just get stuck in block stun. Also those were the best damn Cammy's ive ever seen as well.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Playerwise on GAF.. I think PS3 has like maybe 3 or 4 more PS3 players.. it really isn't more then what some people say here.

PS3 though is being used at EVO so don't know if you care competitvely as your Stick may work at more 'competitive functions' though you can always just borrow someones.

Replay system

XB360 can save fav replays to hard drive and you can see input displays on any replay (ie: you can see how they control their character)

PS3 can vote on replays with some lame voting system.

Controllers -

No one uses the standard default controllers on these games but like MIMIC.. :p So thats just a toss up. Get a good pad or stick (Madcatz makes great ones for this game)

So Ps3 can save replays too, just not view input/etc?

Kureishima said:
So Ps3 can save replays too, just not view input/etc?
They can't save.. They can view whatever is on the leaderboard.. but you can't save your favs lets say..

And they can't view inputs etc that players put to learn their combos etc.

ElyrionX

Question about Ryu's hurricane kick.

It's supposed to go through fireballs right? My friend uses Gouken a lot but everytime I try a hurricane kick, the fireball always nails me. What's the deal here?

ElyrionX said:
Question about Ryu's hurricane kick.

It's supposed to go through fireballs right? My friend uses Gouken a lot but everytime I try a hurricane kick, the fireball always nails me. What's the deal here?

It goes through fireballs on some of the frames but not all.. Like you doing from a full screen distance you probably won't be able to punish if he is spamming em. Gotta do it at least halfway to punish.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I figured something. I am damn intense with my Chun Li in the first round, and that's the rounds where more perfects I get it. But... its kinda repetitive and by the second round smarter players know how to counter me and I lose matches.

I need a Round 2 Attack Plan now =P. Need more mixups... and definitely use Chun's Ultra some more by setting it up. Been working on that lately. Also, crossups. I need to get better with them, but against shotos and the fucking shoryuken its hard.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I played someone the other day with the gamertag UnisonGAF...after the match I send the person a message saying..."it is happening?" I got no reply :(

Also, are there any 360 Balrog players out there who want to play against a Cammy? I main Cammy and Balrog is her worst match up...especially the ones who are good at turtling. I'm at a little over 3000 GP in champ mode. If there are any good boxer's out there who want to play against a semi-decent Cammy, hit me up at NYSTOFMIND23

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Tashi0106 said:
I played someone the other day with the gamertag UnisonGAF...after the match I send the person a message saying..."it is happening?" I got no reply :(

Also, are there any 360 Balrog players out there who want to play against a Cammy? I main Cammy and Balrog is her worst match up...especially the ones who are good at turtling. I'm at a little over 3000 GP in champ mode. If there are any good boxer's out there who want to play against a semi-decent Cammy, hit me up at NYSTOFMIND23
Believe :(

Unison

Tashi0106 said:

Haha, sorry dude. That was rude of me! But feel free to friend list me! :D

I always choose random, so I don't specialize with anyone, so it's all good.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Unison said:
Haha, sorry dude. That was rude of me! But feel free to friend list me! :D

I always choose random, so I don't specialize with anyone, so it's all good.

lol it's all good bro

George Lopez said:
No one on GAF plays me anymore. Gotta play with SRK ppl online now :(.

GET ON PSN ALREADY, JACKIE CHAN!

Dude I'm SOOOO bad at SF4 right now. I've really only been able to play it 3 times in the past month. You can play me again once I get my groove back :lol

I AM on GGPO though :p

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Grifter just fucking straight up slaughtered me. I won 1 time, he won the other 20 :(

Never had someone kick my ass so badly in this game. I have been humbled :lol

Arde5643

Rentahamster said:
Need to play more Gens and Fuertes...I have no idea what to do!

Got smacked down in more than several matches.
Sup, man. Your Dhalsim was pretty spiffy - have you ever played MicVlad's Dhalsim?

He usually plays quite aggressive with IAT as well as fireball zoning to keep both of my Fuerte and Gen honest. I can't really turtle and set up attacks with his Dhalsim.

BitchTits

MIMIC said:
Getting killed by Ken's Ultra is hilarious. It's like the game freezes in a way to ask you, "How the FUCK did you get caught by this shit?" :lol

2hs9egh.jpg

This image lasts FOREVER. I've only had to witness it once, however :)
I hate that so much. It doesn't happen with anyone else. And bolded, SO TRUE! :lol

Been getting a lot better with my SE stick, not spazzing out as much when under pressure and my execution of Ultras is vastly improved over the 360 pad. I got Sakura in a random select, won and finished with c.HP -> EX Shunpukyaku -> Ultra, I was so proud of myself :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Arde5643 said:
Sup, man. Your Dhalsim was pretty spiffy - have you ever played MicVlad's Dhalsim?

He usually plays quite aggressive with IAT as well as fireball zoning to keep both of my Fuerte and Gen honest. I can't really turtle and set up attacks with his Dhalsim.
Yeah I played him once when I first started to play online. He kicked my ass pretty good too :lol

Grifter

Lost Fragment said:
Grifter just fucking straight up slaughtered me. I won 1 time, he won the other 20 :(

Never had someone kick my ass so badly in this game. I have been humbled :lol

GGs! Some real nail biters in those games. Had to slow myself down for a bit and get it back together.

Timedog said:
yeah ex fireball does more damage for sure, ex SRK sucks. Usually I whip out ex SRK because I'm trying to do ultra and haven't glanced down at the meter in awhile and don't know if i have ultra or not, which is really stupid.

the dp craziness is because usually after a whiffed dp where the opponent isn't in perfect position to immediately attack free from punish, they still try to attack at a time where any other move other than dp would hurt me, so I dp and have a good chance of hitting. This was a bad idea against your abel though. You hit me so many times with that awesome combo where you'd grab me out of the air when I'd try to mash out a dp. Empty forward jump dp's tend to work really well for me, but you seemed immune to my game.

great games! who's your main?

Keeping track of the bars comes in time. Not sure who's my main as in my best but I'm playing Akuma more lately just because he's fun but taking him online just strikes me as a gamble with his health. I'm not clicking with any characters like I do in other games like GGXX.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Grifter said:
GGs! Some real nail biters in those games. Had to slow myself down for a bit and get it back together.

Keeping track of the bars comes in time. Not sure who's my main as in my best but I'm playing Akuma more lately just because he's fun but taking him online just strikes me as a gamble with his health. I'm not clicking with any characters like I do in other games like GGXX.

i was real caught off guard by your aggresive Akuma. Usually people just sit back and throw air fireballs with him and run away the entire round. You were also destroying me with well timed cross-ups.

skyfinch

How is it possible to do a (Guile) flash kick into his super or ultra? How can some one charge up the super so quickly? Does anyone have any advice?

This is for the challenge mode, btw.

Thanks.

Threi

notag
skyfinch said:
How is it possible to do a (Guile) flash kick into his super or ultra? How can some one charge up the super so quickly? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.
The flash kick and super share the same charge. Midway through the super input you press a button for the regular move, and then complete the motion for it to be canceled to super/ultra.

skyfinch

Threi said:
The flash kick and super share the same charge. Midway through the super input you press a button for the regular move, and then complete the motion for it to be canceled to super/ultra.

So the first move will look like a canceled flashkick?

Thanks, btw.

skyfinch said:

Thanks.

You can't do flash kick to ultra, but you can do flash into super, input is this :

charge db, df, uf + K, db, uf + k (usually i just do a sweeping motion from db through df to uf + k twice really fast)

You're buffering the flash kick (that is, using it's inputs also as inputs for the super) into the super. This lets you use your charge for both the flash kick and the super.

I thought Moxey was exaggerating about the disconnect ratio, but I managed to get 1 percent after a match, where it said the last match didn't conclude correctly. Not only did I lose my CP, but got dinged for disconnecting.

Also, I've been having nothing but issues with PSN since I got back yesterday. Live is fine.

Congrats FMF. Hope this is the beginning of a burgeoning tournament career. One day, I can say that guy whooped my ass, but I managed to get a win here and there.

That Gen was sick. That obviously took a lot of hours to get to that level.

And I wish the Japanese arcade show was around the corner, so Capcom could announce the next version.

Spiderjericho said:
I thought Moxey was exaggerating about the disconnect ratio, but I managed to get 1 percent after a match, where it said the last match didn't conclude correctly. Not only did I lose my CP, but got dinged for disconnecting.

Also, I've been having nothing but issues with PSN since I got back yesterday. Live is fine.

Congrats FMF. Hope this is the beginning of a burgeoning tournament career. One day, I can say that guy whooped my ass, but I managed to get a win here and there.

That Gen was sick. That obviously took a lot of hours to get to that level.

And I wish the Japanese arcade show was around the corner, so Capcom could announce the next version.

Haha, thanks. That wasn't actually a real tournament though, just RanBats. It was the last one, and the top 3 placers for the season were already set in stone so it was a really lax atmosphere, hence half the crowd just doin random selects, and the other half being too lazy to even come(friggin lazyasses)! Also, buk finally broke his 2 tourney losing streak :lol I think Buk placed 1st in about 5 of the ranbats, just ridiculous lol.

It was funny, because the last 2 tourneys, I also played Logan in the semis, and whoever won went on to win the whole thing(HAH take that buk). Overall We were 2-1 up til today, and I guess Logan wanted to even the score. Unfortunately for me(this was described in turtle's post), he did it in the most devastating fashion possible :(

Don't expect me to be all tourney pro or anything though :lol Not having a working ps3 to play the game on does that to ya. We will however win the gaf chat tourney!

Also, I really need to work on my footsies. I notice that whenever I lose to top players, they always have better footsies, and it really shuts me down. Any tips on how to approach footsies ? (Haunts, Gal, help me out here)

Uh, is it normal that when I want twist the balltop off, the metal stick also starts to turn and not just the top? MadCatz SE stick FYI.

That said: currently contemplating whether or not I should try getting used to the stick with a different beat 'em up altogether. I mean: it comes as no surprise that I have difficulty pulling off all of Dhalsim's moves again (without any macro's at that) considering this is my first arcade stick, but I've played Street Fighter IV so much with the default 360 controller already that it'd probably take REALLY long to get my execution up to snuff again.

Either that, or pick a new character. Vega's about the only one I'm interested in right now, partially because I never messed around with a charge character.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Controllers -

HEY HE AIN'T THE ONLY ONE

"Uh, is it normal that when I want twist the balltop off, the metal stick also starts to turn and not just the top? MadCatz SE stick FYI."

You need to stick a screwdriver (flat tip) on the screw at the bottom to hold the shaft in place, then unscrew the ball. Unless you're already doing that, then no, I don't think that's normal.

MicVlaD said:
Uh, is it normal that when I want twist the balltop off, the metal stick also starts to turn and not just the top? MadCatz SE stick FYI.

Yeah, if you want to take the top off, you'll have to open up the box and go in from the bottom. It's made to lock in unless you open it.

MicVlaD said:
Vega's about the only one I'm interested in right now.

I really like playing Vega, because the badass slashing effects and izuna drop make me feel like I'm playing Ninja Gaiden :D

With that being said though, good luck, you'll need it.

LakeEarth

I'm getting better with the stick, but I'm still not where I was on a pad. Still dashing left issues, but FADCing is much easier.

My search for a second has brought me back to Honda after figuring Dhalsim is just isn't my thing. Honda is great though, winning with nothing but fierce hundred hand slaps and throwing out EX headbutts like candy.

Teknopathetic said:
You need to stick a screwdriver (flat tip) on the screw at the bottom to hold the shaft in place, then unscrew the ball. Unless you're already doing that, then no, I don't think that's normal.
FindMyFarms said:
Yeah, if you want to take the top off, you'll have to open up the box and go in from the bottom. It's made to lock in unless you open it.
Ah, guess I misunderstood then. Originally thought you could remove the balltop without opening the case, for some reason. Kind of weird how "loose" it feels while playing though.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
FindMyFarms said:
Also, I really need to work on my footsies. I notice that whenever I lose to top players, they always have better footsies, and it really shuts me down. Any tips on how to approach footsies ? (Haunts, Gal, help me out here)

I think Street Fighter really boils down to having a good footsie and poke game. For instance, Ricky Ortiz has a great footies game and is doing very well currently in the SFIV scene even though he hasent played the game nearly as long as the rest of us in the area.

It's the main aspect I've been trying to work on myself and the way I see it right now is being able to punish pretty much everything they stick out with a move of your own. I listened to a Gootecks podcast with Combofiend and one aspect he says is really important is "standing just outside of the max range of their furthest reaching move. When you see them throw something out then immediately hit the highest priority move that you have". That's what I've been doing a lot of with Sagat latley vs. different characters just to see what works best. He has moves that dont really combo into anything but can interrupt a lot of the other players normal moves and help you gain an opening to take advantage of.

Although my footsies are still pretty...bad.. I've improved somewhat over the past 4-6 months and now find it much easier to control the pace of the match. When I am on the defensive I can keep them at bay but if I want to switch it up and become aggressive, having solid footies helps me work my way in. That seems to be a constant flow I find myself getting into in matches with good players. You have to be aggressive but also know when to back off, so having a solid understanding of your pokes and what they do vs what characters helps immensely with feeling comfortable with both styles.

I understand the basic and more intermediate aspects of footsies, it's just that top players seem to pace their footsy game so much more precisely than I can. I don't know if it's me being so predictable, or just a lack of knowledge of what wins out between pokes, or even flat out lack of practice. I'll try to get footage of myself playing Buk's Ryu (as much as I praise his ELF, his ryu's even better, fucking bs lol) and perhaps you can criticize me if you don't mind.

Threi

notag
1. Finally got another ragequitter (in a player match? Just kick me after the match and give me negative rep like everyone else does FFS)
atugxg.jpg

(seriously, the Rep system is completely corrupted. People should not be facing potential bannage from XBL because a bunch of punk kids can't handle losing)

2. A Sagat that does tiger shots and the jumps backward with hk is very, very annoying, considering his reach and damage output.

3. I am still doing much better with Honda, a char i do not know a whole much, than Bison, a char i pretty much know inside out. I keep getting DP'ed or whatever out of failed link combos, but I always wind up spending too much time thinking "what is the ideal approach", even when im pretty much out of life. You would think that you will always do better with your main, but that doesn't seem to be the case in this game...

haunts

Bacon of Hope
FindMyFarms said:
I understand the basic and more intermediate aspects of footsies, it's just that top players seem to pace their footsy game so much more precisely than I can. I don't know if it's me being so predictable, or just a lack of knowledge of what wins out between pokes, or even flat out lack of practice. I'll try to get footage of myself playing Buk's Ryu (as much as I praise his ELF, his ryu's even better, fucking bs lol) and perhaps you can criticize me if you don't mind.

I think it just comes down to reaction time at that level.

Top Bottom