• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yep. Turtling is such a huge component of online play it seems. CM is started to become boring.

Characters like Sagat, Gouken and Ryu should never be turtles.

And I just got beaten by one of those godly Gens. He did a wall kick, into super, into Ultra on me. Probably the most amazing finish ever put on me.

LakeEarth

Sagat can be a turtle, he has good defense on top of his offense... yay! Turtle Goukens confuse me though, how are you supposed to throw -> ultra if you never attack?

Kadey said:
Yep. Turtling is such a huge component of online play it seems. CM is started to become boring.

And I just got beaten by one of those godly Gens. He did a wall kick, into super, into Ultra on me. Probably the most amazing finish ever put on me.

Must resist joke

ninja edit - I don't know if Gouken can successfully turtle, I know he has the air fb, but lack of great anti air and high priority close range pokes kinda hurts him, plus doesn't he have below average life? Or am I remembering wrong.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Kadey said:

Sagat is like the best turtle character ever. :lol

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
haunts said:
Sagat is like the best turtle character ever. :lol
What? I'm pretty sure the best win with Sagat by constantly jumping forward and throwing when they land. If someone tries a link, just mash out a uppercut. That's not turtling.

Freshmaker said:
What? I'm pretty sure the best win with Sagat by constantly jumping forward and throwing when they land. If someone tries a link, just mash out a uppercut. That's not turtling.

That's not turtling, that's skillzzz

Haunts, what do the rest of your AV pics look like? They all look like chun li hentai cut offs :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Who is MrWiz on XBL? I feel like I've heard that name before.

I played him and it was pretty close, but he won 2 out of the 3 rounds with some jump-in into ultra combo from Rufus that I don't remember seeing before(I almost never play against Rufus'). What is that? Do I just need to be super wary of jump in's with rufus?

Timedog said:
Who is MrWiz on XBL? I feel like I've heard that name before.

I played him and it was pretty close, but he won 2 out of the 3 rounds with some jump-in into ultra combo from Rufus that I don't remember seeing before(I almost never play against Rufus'). What is that? Do I just need to be super wary of jump in's with rufus?

His divekicks? Yeah. You can be wary of em, but any good Rufus is going to be using them on you constantly. He most likely got you with a divekick xx lk -> fk target combo -> ultra.

My only advice is to block low after a dive kick in case he doesn't combo, and thus you block the target combo -> ultra

JEKKI

man... u know what's worse then corner grinding scrubs who play the reaction game??

corner grinding scrubs who play the reaction game while using Seth.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
JEKKI said:
man... u know what's worse then corner grinding scrubs who play the reaction game??

what does this stuff mean? what is a target combo?

There were over 50+ SE sticks at the Fry's here in Plano for 360 and PS3 today.

Hey FMF.. They have SF4 setup on the TV.. You can go live over there if you want.. :p

75 & Plano Pkwy.

Timedog said:

Rufus Target Combo is Low Kick > High Kick.. It then launches you in the air for an easy Ultra juggle.

Kens is like Forward med punch + forward high punch or just medium + high punch I forget.

Some characters have target combos.

El Fuertes is horrible.. its just MK twice..

Timedog said:

lol, wrong quote, but a target combo is a character specific combo you can perform with their normals. Rufu's target combo is lk -> fk. The lk hits low, then combos into the fk which juggles, allowing him to land the ultra. It's a common setup to perform after rufus lands a divekick. However, it isn't always comboable after a divekick, so it's good to block low if you think they're fishing for it to prevent the juggle.

Also, we're at 657 pages, how are we still complaining about turtle scrubs SMH.

TurtleSnatcher said:
There were over 50+ SE sticks at the Fry's here in Plano for 360 and PS3 today.

Hey FMF.. They have SF4 setup on the TV.. You can go live over there if you want.. :p

75 & Plano Pkwy.

Hey that's the one right next to me :) Do they have sticks on the setup? How about an internet connection? :lol

FindMyFarms said:
lol, wrong quote, but a target combo is a character specific combo you can perform with their normals. Rufu's target combo is lk -> fk. The lk hits low, then combos into the fk which juggles, allowing him to land the ultra. It's a common setup to perform after rufus lands a divekick. However, it isn't always comboable after a divekick, so it's good to block low if you think they're fishing for it to prevent the juggle.

Also, we're at 657 pages, how are we still complaining about turtle scrubs SMH.

The Dive Kick has to be a low Dive Kick.. Don't know if its comboable if its a high dive kick..

Hey that's the one right next to me :) Do they have sticks on the setup? How about an internet connection? :lol

They have the SE sticks up.. No internet.. no unlocked chars =[

Oh and shitty kids playing it 90% of the time.. I played it and perfected some 5 year old twice with Vega.. It was awesome.

TurtleSnatcher said:
The Dive Kick has to be a low Dive Kick.. Don't know if its comboable if its a high dive kick..

yeah, that's why I said block low after the divekicks in case it doesn't combo. Some people I know just let go of block after a divekick assuming they'll get comboed, and it's just dumb to do that IMO. Also, for some characters (i forgot who, but there's 6 of them, Honda being one) the FK flat out whiffs if their crouching, even if the lk connects.

LJ11

f0nz0 said:
i had that problem as well, i did switch to a full sanwa stick and buttons, but it still keeps on happening!, sometimes the kick buttons will just stop working to the point where i have to get on over to the xbox unplug it , plug it back in, and hope i dont get demolished in the process, frustrating!

So it's not just the buttons. I thought about replacing them but I think I'm just going to take the stick back. Not worth the trouble.

MIMIC

Banned
JEKKI said:

I go all out against Seth. Since he takes so much damage, I figure that an all out offense is worth it.

TimeKillr

Spiderjericho said:
I started playing G2, and you guys weren't kidding. Because of how long it takes to move to G1, there is an odd mix of players. I beat an 11,000 GP person and lost to a 2,000. I'm glad the level of play is getting more difficult, as it will help me develop into a better player.

GGs Time Killer. I hated picking random, as they kept giving me turds. I don't know how to play Fuerte, Abel, Claw or Honda. Honda, I can sort of call upon my time in HD Remix.

And wow, Won moving up.

Yeah, GGs (didn't even know that was you! lol)

I love playing against people better than me. Forces me to improve - otherwise I just sit still at my skill level and can never advance. And I think player matches is a good place to be like this since I can continually train against a specific player rather than just continually adapt to other players in championship and such.

And I kept getting lucky I guess in random. But Seth twice? wtf.

Spiderjericho said:
Rufus. Definitely the king of Ultras. I was playing against Timekiller and there had to be 6 million ways to land ultra.

Didn't know Mr. Wiz played.

As far as I know, Rufus has 4 Ultra setups.

1- Target Combo -> Ultra
2- j. RH -> Ultra (on some characters at the right distance, you can do j. RH -> ex Snake Strike -> Ultra but it's VERY hard to land)
3- Corner Galactic Tornado -> Ultra
4- ex Messiah Kick -> LK followup -> FADC -> Ultra.

I only landed 1 and 4 against you. I VERY RARELY land 2 (mostly just against scrubs) and 3 is so situational... You can combo it off a dive kick -> fp -> Galactic but it has to be a dive kick that hits on the lower part of the opponent and even then the fp link isn't that easy to land since it REALLY depends on how low the dive kick hit.

I'm definitely better with Abel than with Rufus - once someone goes on all-out defensive against Rufus I'm usually stuck. I need to apply pressure with Galactic Tornadoes since they're 100% safe on block but for some reason I always forget to do that (same with Abel and his wheel kick!)

TimeKillr

FindMyFarms said:
>>Here's the juggle<<

And I do have my ps3 back, it just doesn't turn on :( Also sad to hear about the state of gafchat.

Well fix it! It won't turn on is a wuss' excuse. :)

And that is a freaky crazy thing to do. As always, Justin impresses, but I really wish he would've fought someone else than Seth. Every time I see a top level VS Seth fight, it turns into a crazy game of cat and mouse as the non-Seth player just runs after Seth like there's no tomorrow and there are very few opportunities for actual learning. I mean, 99% of the stuff he does in that fight I do on a VERY regular basis and I'm not that good.

I also find it very strange that I completely suck against random scrubs but I fare much better against better players. I think it's because I gear my game towards mind games a lot but most scrubs are immune to mind games and Abel doesn't have any super uber high priority moves (aside from TT I guess but even that against a shoto is useless to throw randomly as srk will always beat it).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
man I keep running into the same guy online called Trixz NL or something. I see that name and I'm like 'you again'

I'm starting to learn his Sagat and I'm sure he knows my blanka tricks by now. I think we are 2 each or something. Shit gets real when it says 'fight' wonder if the dude recognises me.

it's quite funny, I think I've only ever played a couple gaffers but starting to recognise strangers. it's amusing to see how they've moved up with points each match up I get against em.

TimeKillr said:
Well fix it! It won't turn on is a wuss' excuse. :)

And that is a freaky crazy thing to do. As always, Justin impresses, but I really wish he would've fought someone else than Seth. Every time I see a top level VS Seth fight, it turns into a crazy game of cat and mouse as the non-Seth player just runs after Seth like there's no tomorrow and there are very few opportunities for actual learning. I mean, 99% of the stuff he does in that fight I do on a VERY regular basis and I'm not that good.

I also find it very strange that I completely suck against random scrubs but I fare much better against better players. I think it's because I gear my game towards mind games a lot but most scrubs are immune to mind games and Abel doesn't have any super uber high priority moves (aside from TT I guess but even that against a shoto is useless to throw randomly as srk will always beat it).

fighting scrubs = baiting + punishing.

Make em do something dumb then punish w/ cr. fp xx lk roll xx cr. fp xx mk roll. It lands you right next to them and I guarantee you they'll be mashing a dp or something, which lets you restart the whole chain again. Do it once or twice and they'll get smart, which means next time instead of blocking after the reset you can just TT.

Did we ever play abel mirror?

Tonight was horrible.. HORRIBLE. I almost threw my XB360 out the window. After tonight I honestly want to cancel my EVO flight and never touch this game again.

Never been so frustrated.

I got into like 6 or 7 finals tonight and I lost 5 out 7 or something to the most crappy scrubs. And of course all 5 of those CP totals if I won would have been MUCH better then what my current high is. But of course I don't win any of those and the 2 I win are against people who had low or no CP at all to give.

UGH.

My cross up fierces are just whiffing a ton and then I get punished hard and people throw me.

1 Bison I played I perfected then he somehow destroyed me the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Same thing with a Gouken. I just don't get it :(

I have no fucking clue why I am so freaking bad in this game argh. I'm telling myself I need to learn stick so I can RSF these hoe bags to death. Anyways.. 7850GP now.. Didn't play much this week. Hoping to hit 10k by end of next weekend.

Lost Fragment said:
I have no idea why haunts was banhammered, but that + his new avatar is hilarious.
:lol
Yea it is.

Haunts was banned it appears through the Tatsunoko vs Capcom thread and it coming to America.

He wasn't exactly a 'fan' of fighting games on the Wii. I was just looking back at his last posts. That's probably why he got banned.

Won

TurtleSnatcher said:
Tonight was horrible.. HORRIBLE. I almost threw my XB360 out the window. After tonight I honestly want to cancel my EVO flight and never touch this game again.

I got into like 6 or 7 finals tonight and I lost 5 out 7 or something to the most crappy scrubs. And of course all 5 of those CP totals if I won would have been MUCH better then what my current high is. But of course I don't win any of those and the 2 I win are against people who had low or no CP at all to give.

UGH.

My cross up fierces are just whiffing a ton and then I get punished hard and people throw me.

1 Bison I played I perfected then he somehow destroyed me the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Same thing with a Gouken. I just don't get it :(

I have no fucking clue why I am so freaking bad in this game argh. I'm telling myself I need to learn stick so I can RSF these hoe bags to death. Anyways.. 7850GP now.. Didn't play much this week. Hoping to hit 10k by end of next weekend.

Won said:
Tostada Press flowcharting!

It works like magic!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Won said:

It works like magic!

I been mucking with fuerte in player matches a bit. I never play SF with a microphone (I mean, why would you) and one time I heard a guy say 'BULLSHIT' through my speakers after I did that belly flop on his head 6 times in a row.

Fuerte, while sucking real bad is easily the awesome-ist guy to play as. If I actually win with that dude I sometimes stand up and hop around on my feet like he does when he's just standing there.

If I ever have a kid I'm getting him a chefs hat and a little frying pan and teaching him flips.

What a weird banning. Haunts didn't really say anything out of line aside from "Fuck smash bros" lol, but I don't think that's really worth banning.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
FindMyFarms said:
What a weird banning. Haunts didn't really say anything out of line aside from "Fuck smash bros" lol, but I don't think that's really worth banning.

He didn't venture in to the OT did he? D:

TimeKillr

FindMyFarms said:
fighting scrubs = baiting + punishing.

Make em do something dumb then punish w/ cr. fp xx lk roll xx cr. fp xx mk roll. It lands you right next to them and I guarantee you they'll be mashing a dp or something, which lets you restart the whole chain again. Do it once or twice and they'll get smart, which means next time instead of blocking after the reset you can just TT.

Did we ever play abel mirror?

I know of baiting and such, but with Abel it's a bit more difficult outside getting a knockdown and hoping for a dp or something similar. It's just.. different I guess. But the problem is still there - they're usually both incredibly predictable and unpredictable at the same time, since you NEVER KNOW when they'll catch on, and if they seem like they're catching on, sometimes it's just because they missed the dp, sometimes they catch on but their instincts come back to them a second later, etc. I guess if I played better trapping/zoning characters it'd help. I can't imagine running into that problem with Sagat, for example. So now with Abel I rely on getting a down then doing wakeup mixups either outside dp range or crossups on wakeup.

And we never did play Abel mirror. That'd be fun :)

TimeKillr said:
I know of baiting and such, but with Abel it's a bit more difficult outside getting a knockdown and hoping for a dp or something similar. It's just.. different I guess. But the problem is still there - they're usually both incredibly predictable and unpredictable at the same time, since you NEVER KNOW when they'll catch on, and if they seem like they're catching on, sometimes it's just because they missed the dp, sometimes they catch on but their instincts come back to them a second later, etc. I guess if I played better trapping/zoning characters it'd help. I can't imagine running into that problem with Sagat, for example. So now with Abel I rely on getting a down then doing wakeup mixups either outside dp range or crossups on wakeup.

And we never did play Abel mirror. That'd be fun :)

Aside from the "cr. fp xx lk roll xx cr. fp xx mk roll" that I posted, which is my favorite baiting tactic off a punish, you can also bait w/ f. mk xx dash. After you throw a few times, they'll start mashing out the dp's.

Once i get my system goin we'll def run that mirror :)

FindMyFarms said:

guess he got banned by some nintendo fan? i rarely venture into those threads. creepy people i tell ya ;)

Threi

notag
its against rules to beg for ports to games to other systems.

TvC is just fine where it is.

Anyways hopefully it isn't a long ban.

bumpkin

TurtleSnatcher said:

UGH.

I played a bunch of games Saturday night and experienced a similar level of frustration. Aside from being beaten by players with ridiculously transparent strategies that I simply could not capitalize on was the fact 3 out of every 4 matches was against Ryu. When it wasn't Ryu, it was someone playing Akuma and doing the classic jump away and fireball tactic and every time I beat them down enough, doing a raging demon. The only good matches I had were against someone using Guile and someone using Sakura. The rest; meh... The real ironic thing is though Ryu and Ken are my primaries, I used random to pick my character for most of my matches. I didn't want to be another one of the schmucks who never use another character.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Threi said:
its against rules to beg for ports to games to other systems.

TvC is just fine where it is.

Anyways hopefully it isn't a long ban.

It's until August according to him, which IMO is way too long for what he did, but meh, that's how it works here.

Top Bottom