• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Threi

notag
Begging for ports on another console is bannable, end of story. The more love spread, the better, I agree, but like I said there is absolutely nothing wrong with the console TvC will be appearing on.

That shit fucked up the TvC thread (and the earlier TvC arcade threads as well) and I don't want it to fuck up a SFIV thread as I see this thread as my one true refuge from the console wars shit that has plagued this forum, so please just drop it.

toneroni

anyone double or triple dipping on the PC SF4? I'm thinking about getting it and playing at work :D

I already use a 360 pad at work sometimes, they'll just thinking i'm testing something :lol
Not sure if I should bring my stick in, but a fightpad...why not

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Threi said:
Begging for ports on another console is bannable, end of story. The more love spread, the better, I agree, but like I said there is absolutely nothing wrong with the console TvC will be appearing on.

That shit fucked up the TvC thread (and the earlier TvC arcade threads as well) and I don't want it to fuck up a SFIV thread as I see this thread as my one true refuge from the console wars shit that has plagued this forum, so please just drop it.

No one was begging for ports. I like fighting games and I think as many people as possible should be able to play them. I have nothing against the wii. I said it would be nice to see sf4 on the wii too.

Man i never said anything was wrong with the wii... I do not understand where you are getting this from. Games can coexist on multiple consoles...

Threi

notag
MThanded said:
No one was begging for ports. I like fighting games and I think as many people as possible should be able to play them. I have nothing against the wii. I said it would be nice to see sf4 on the wii too.
Hey then we are on the same page. I was hoping that MvC3 would hit PS3/360/Wii/PC and runs on the TvC engine, but if TvC NA is what we are getting, than I will more than gladly accept it.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
toneroni said:
anyone double or triple dipping on the PC SF4? I'm thinking about getting it and playing at work :D

I already use a 360 pad at work sometimes, they'll just thinking i'm testing something :lol
Not sure if I should bring my stick in, but a fightpad...why not
My PC barely meets the min specs. I'd prolly have to play at 640x480 and get 15 fps or something crappy like that, otherwise I'd be double dipping. I'm betting there will be a healthy community because of the Steam release and a bunch of awesome players will probably be there because of the GGPO community.

Thinking of buying the Prima guide for SF4? Do I get a yay or nay from GAF? I'm doing it so it'll help me learn other characters (i hate having to press start and check move list...oh wait I just remembered I have the game manual hmm...) and for the frame data. Is the other stuff in it a good read as well?

MThanded

Threi said:
Hey then we are on the same page. I was hoping that MvC3 would hit PS3/360/Wii/PC and runs on the TvC engine, but if TvC NA is what we are getting, than I will more than gladly accept it.
if mvc3 hit using the tvc engine I would go insane. If they announced that at E3 my mind would be blown. I would buy it for every console and pc.

Archie said:
Couldn't you just read SRK and save the 20 bucks?

I can get it for <$15 on amazon. I don't like checking online for moves and stuff, it just feels real distracting.But I know SRK is more detailed and offers better info. SRK has the frame data, too, I assume? Can't check since I'm at work...

MIMIC

Banned
Wow. You get banned for so much less on the gaming side :lol I didn't know that begging for ports could get you banned.

MThanded

myDingling said:
I can get it for <$15 on amazon. I don't like checking online for moves and stuff, it just feels real distracting.But I know SRK is more detailed and offers better info. SRK has the frame data, too, I assume? Can't check since I'm at work...
The guide is pretty sucky. Missing characters and innacurate with character rankings. I would stay away.

MIMIC said:
Wow. You get banned for so much less on the gaming side :lol I didn't know that begging for ports could get you banned.

I was not even begging. Just saying i already had arcade sticks for the other consoles. I even said i would buy it for the wii if thats the only way i could get it.

MThanded said:
if mvc3 hit using the tvc engine I would go insane. If they announced that at E3 my mind would be blown. I would buy it for every console and pc.

And what if it was Wii exclusive?! Hahaha. sorry I troll, I troll.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
myDingling said:
http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Sf4

Seems like alot of frame data is there, but I don't think it's totally fleshed out.

Threi

notag
MIMIC said:
I got banned in this very thread for dropping a couple n-bombs :(

I blame the man

Stantron

Blanka has a round-complete animation where he pulls out a banana from his back pocket and eats it, although I've only seen it during the trial mode, never in a match setting. Kinda strange that they would do this. Anyone else notice similar stuff like this?

Also, I really like the back and forth banter characters have during a Rival match in Arcade mode. It would have been cool to expand on that for all characters, and have it included in online matches. Perhaps an option to turn it off if it started to get repetitive.

ElyrionX

Threi said:

I don't know about that. After spending what I consider to be a substantial amount on a good joystick for SFIV on the PS3, I don't want to be looking at spending more money on hardware on another console. All fighting games I buy from now on will be on the PS3 so a port of a good fighting game on the PS3 does make sense.

toneroni

ElyrionX said:
I don't know about that. After spending what I consider to be a substantial amount on a good joystick for SFIV on the PS3, I don't want to be looking at spending more money on hardware on another console. All fighting games I buy from now on will be on the PS3 so a port of a good fighting game on the PS3 does make sense.
lol yes but keep those dirty thoughts to yourself! :D

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Kandrick said:
Thats why you are not banned. But some others did heh.

I really wish there was some list of things that would definitely get you banned. I never knew about the begging thing. As for why it happens, the FGC has a huge PS3 bias, due to backwards compat on controllers, and inertia. When the 360 came out, very few in the FGC believed it would get an equal amount and quality fighting games as the PS3.

I really wonder if PS3 would still have ended up FGC standard if they could have looked into the future a few years.

In response to the above- never waste money on a strategy guide- use the SRK wiki, and play online. The online/offline problems don't seem to take effect until you get to the top level of gameplay, provided connections and netcode are solid. (pretty much anything but Namco games this gen has solid netcode)

Imm0rt4l

MThanded said:
In the tvc thread i just said that It would be nice to get a port to 360 and ps3 also. Just because I already have arcade sticks for those systems(ps3 and 360). I definitely said that if it came out on the wii I would buy it too. Now people are claiming I am a wii hater. :-/ . I have all of the current gen consoles. Also, I love fighting games. I want as many people to experience the game as possible. They are misinterpreting my posts. I think I got reverse fanboyed....

you're as good as gone, I've been banned for less in the OT. you'll probably get locked up till august, no hard time.

*wears "free haunts" shirt

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Lost Fragment said:
Goddamn. Trying to play with this stick, it's like I'm a total newbie again. Playing online is kinda embarrassing right now :lol

player matches are your friend :lol

I've just been in there trying to learn bison. My win rate just dropped below 50% cause of that. I lost about 20 in a row haha.

BitchTits

'Stick' with it. Play some arcade mode or go to training and turn inputs on.

It's amazing the difference a few days of play makes. The first day I got my SE stick I couldn't even do up/down charge moves, at all. Less than a week later I'm back in Championship mode kicking ass. :)

First time stick users: Playing with your stick planted on a hard surface, like a computer desk, does wonders. For me, I couldn't even use a stick until I did this. Once you do everything feels extremely natural and fluid.

On my lap or soft surface, I randomly jump because I am unconscious of the stick position moving. Kind of like crappy dance mats, where they slip from your feet and before you know it you are jumping on the carpet.

EraldoCoil said:
whoa whoa whoa, back the fuck up...... what happened to haunts??

I looked over his posts, I guess it was for suggesting TVC be on PS3 and 360? Which, is a pretty good idea considering where the online community is at the moment. Considering how common place that kind of talk is on any non mulitplatform game discussion, it's pretty, uh, yeah, fucked up he would get hammered.

Aight.. I hate you all and your "I just learned stick in 1 week I'm now awesome" players.

Screw you guys. I hope you all DIAF.

This is the 10th time I've said it but seriously I'm gonna force myself tonight. Player matches.. !

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
TurtleSnatcher said:
Aight.. I hate you all and your "I just learned stick in 1 week I'm now awesome" players.

A little more or less than six weeks seems to be the norm. Don't be too hard on yourself. Anyone that adjusts in a week is a mutant.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hmmm....I had 30k CP going into semis. But after logging off and logging back on several hours later it said something like my last match did not end properly, haha, start over. :(

fernie417

TurtleSnatcher said:

This is the 10th time I've said it but seriously I'm gonna force myself tonight. Player matches.. !

Yo, I got a stick last year for Virtua Fighter 5 since the d-pad on the 360 is crap. I've hardly played with a stick before, not Virtua Fighter at least, so it just kinda sat in the closet for a while. But two things helped me to finally make the switch. First, don't go back to d-pad, ever. But I'm sure you've heard that plenty already. What I think would really help is to try using a different, simpler game first. Like a shooter, beat 'em up, or some other type of arcade game made for a stick.

One day on a lark I tried playing Ikaruga with the stick and in that game you're not doing anything nearly as complicated as in Street Fighter, just moving in various directions. Even after only an hour or two it was becoming a lot more enjoyable and I think you'll see the benefits of using a stick much more rapidly in a game like that. Might be worth a shot.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Honda used to be one of my worst matchups, but someone here said something about him sucking at defending crossups, so I started crossing him up on most knockdowns and I don't think I've lost to a Honda since.

Someone explain this to me, but I just noticed it about a month ago and it still boggles me. For the first 2 months Honda was my worse match up, I think I had 9 wins out of 34 matches against Honda. And up to that point I remember only facing Seth twice, I won one and lost the other. Then one day I look at my statistical match ups again and I notice that Seth is my worse match up with me winning 41 in 125 tries. Where the hell did this come from?

I asked my cousin who sometimes will play ranked matches when I'm at work and he said he's not sure if he has faced Seth, but even if he did he didn't play him over 100 times in the short amount of time he does play. Is this probably just a mistake and has it happened to anyone else?

Kadey said:
Hmmm....I had 30k CP going into semis. But after logging off and logging back on several hours later it said something like my last match did not end properly, haha, start over. :(

happened to me too yesterday. sucks :-(

BitchTits

TurtleSnatcher said:

Yes, player matches, you've nothing to lose. I pick random a lot too, which has helped with my execution of all the different special moves, not just the ones of my favorites.

I seriously cannot believe how I've acclimatized to using a stick for SF4. I had a Dreamcast stick and couldn't do a thing with it. I had some crappy KOF stick for PS2, it was horrible. The Madcatz SE might not be the choice of pros, but I'm loving it. Some characters are harder than others, my Abel game has dropped dramatically, and I find it difficult to combo Gen's hands -> Super.

I had a great night tonight too. Won quite a few championships with Dhalsim, got a voice msg complimenting me on it from some drunk-sounding Southern USA dude :D

BitchTits

Had a "WTF!" moment today too. On random I got Honda, vs Ryu. At one point I went in to do Oichi throw and Ryu does his Super, as the screen slows down, you could see Honda animation for Oichi had already started, the Super went straight through Honda and the throw connected! Was that another oddity of the game (or lag?) or is going through fireballs a common property of the Oichi throw?

BitchTits said:
Had a "WTF!" moment today too. On random I got Honda, vs Ryu. At one point I went in to do Oichi throw and Ryu does his Super, as the screen slows down, you could see Honda animation for Oichi had already started, the Super went straight through Honda and the throw connected! Was that another oddity of the game (or lag?) or is going through fireballs a common property of the Oichi throw?

I think throws(command or regular) beat Super/Ultra projectiles. I've thrown a Ryu a couple of times who tried to use his Ultra on me. The first time I thought I was fucked until the fireball safely went through me as I grabbed the guy and slammed him.

myDingling said:
Ughh@Ryu's LP SRK trade into Ultra....NERF NOW PLZ.

But that's the only way I can land the Ultra in this game, in fact I won a Championship finals in G3 today because of that when I was losing against a Cammy in the final round. I was like "plz jump at me", he was like "sure", and then I was like "thank you, LP SRK>Ultra :D". I guess I should start working on my jumping MP>Ultra then :p

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
BitchTits said:

You mean Oicho. :D

Top Bottom