• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
MicVlaD said:
What about Zangief's Ultra? I also remember people saying "Constantly tap up!" as a means to escape from it, but I get grabbed by it anyways.

I just hold up, that way I'm never off by 1 frame.

Zabka

MicVlaD said:
What about Zangief's Ultra? I also remember people saying "Constantly tap up!" as a means to escape from it, but I get grabbed by it anyways. Backdashing also doesn't work, unless my timing with that is off. Could it be a Dhalsim-only thing since his jump is rather slow?

Maybe I can teleport out of it and I know Yoga Tower will make it whif, but I often realise it too late whenever some bad Zangief prays a jump-in Ultra will net him the match.
Zangief's Ultra is zero frame once you see the Ultra animation start. If you don't hit up before then, it's over.

MIMIC

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"I played a Zangief yesterday that did the "glowing hand > SPD" to me 3 times in a row, and I thought back to GAF: "Hold UP, dummy!"

A blocked banishing flat is a free throw or combo for you. Don't skimp out on free damage.

No, I mean I was already knocked down and he did the glowing hand to get closer to me. EFF HIM

One more SPD and I would have been dead :lol (I finally remembered to hold up)

I've been playing the arcade version now, since it is the only one available to me right now. I'm getting my ass kicked because I don't have my FightPad!! I don't know how to play with the stick. Shit, I can't even pull of EX-moves when I want to. Back to the basics I guess.

Stantron

Teknopathetic said:
A blocked banishing flat is a free throw or combo for you. Don't skimp out on free damage.
What about punishing a blocked EX banishing flat? I would expect the spacing of characters during the block would also matter if you can punish, EX or not. confirm?
A technique I've seen is EX banishing flat that just barely misses into SPD. Though not sure how much of this transition can be attributed to lag.

Stantron said:
What about punishing a blocked EX banishing flat? I would expect the spacing of characters during the block would also matter if you can punish, EX or not. confirm?
A technique I've seen is EX banishing flat that just barely misses into SPD. Though not sure how much of this transition can be attributed to lag.
SPD is dodgeable if they do banishing or EX banishing to get right next to you but barely miss you.. Just jump..

As for blocked banishing.. its punishable like regular banishing and you can throw gief afterwards.

BigAT

Is there any way to punish Vega's sliding low kick? (might just be his standard sweep) I really deal with it poorly when playing Vega players and haven't been able to figure out how to deal with it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
block and then use anything that comes out quick, iirc -- i use cr mp or cr mk cancelled into a special

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
BigAT said:
Is there any way to punish Vega's sliding low kick? (might just be his standard sweep) I really deal with it poorly when playing Vega players and haven't been able to figure out how to deal with it.

crouching jab, then pause for a tiny split second, then neutral jump and you'll just miss his attack but he'll be vulnerable, on the way back down to the ground hit him with another jab, followed by an immediate backdash (since the backdash is invulnerable, his counter attack won't hit you), then dash forward quickly while his move is still in the recovery phase, and ultra!

Stantron

Timedog said:
crouching jab, then pause for a tiny split second, then neutral jump and you'll just miss his attack but he'll be vulnerable, on the way back down to the ground hit him with another jab, followed by an immediate backdash (since the backdash is invulnerable, his counter attack won't hit you), then dash forward quickly while his move is still in the recovery phase, and ultra!
Such insight, such strategic depth... no wonder why you're #1 on the West Coast.

Still toiling away in G2. I've only won one tournament so far. The competition is definitely tough. I like it. Chun-Li is probably my toughest fight because most will just be magnetized to one spot, throw fireball, yadda, yadda. When they get ultra, bait fireball to ultra.

The lesser played characters are also tough battles (ex Cammy, Rose, etc).

Spiderjericho said:
Still toiling away in G2. I've only won one tournament so far. The competition is definitely tough. I like it. Chun-Li is probably my toughest fight because most will just be magnetized to one spot, throw fireball, yadda, yadda. When they get ultra, bait fireball to ultra.

The lesser played characters are also tough battles (ex Cammy, Rose, etc).

I don't think I've met a bad player who uses someone other than Ryu/Ken/Blanka/Sagat/Balrog. Everyone else is good to damn good to amazing.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Killa Sasa said:
I don't think I've met a bad player who uses someone other than Ryu/Ken/Blanka/Sagat/Balrog. Everyone else is good to damn good to amazing.
I've hit a couple of Zangeif, Akuma, Gouken, Cammy, Abel and Chun Li players that'd put a dent in that theory.

Though the Blanka player I keep hitting that has 100,000+ gp who does nothing but dash forward and try to throw kinda eclipses those.

I won my second championship. Played against a 12000GP Dictator, 4000 Ken, Honda and 6000 Sakura.

I was hyped to beat the 12000GP Dictator. He wasn't too bad.

Honestly, I think the competition is good. I can't complain. Some of the matches I've played, I got annihilated by my opponent. Others I soundly beat my opponent. But most are close matches and have gotten quite a few ggs messages.

I just don't understand how people get up to G1. It must take a lot of games to get to that point.

Had a pretty terrible night tonight. Maybe had about a 30% win percentage in about 20+ matches. Ughh, sometimes this game makes me wanna punch bricks.

Lately I haven't been able to win any G2 championships at all. I think the system is finally starting to work for G2. Shitty players get weeded out little by little and by the 4th battle, it tends to be against someone very good so I'm really enjoying this. Just wish I could fucking win...it's been like a week @_@

Spiderjericho said:
I won my second championship. Played against a 12000GP Dictator, 4000 Ken, Honda and 6000 Sakura.

I was hyped to beat the 12000GP Dictator. He wasn't too bad.

Honestly, I think the competition is good. I can't complain. Some of the matches I've played, I got annihilated by my opponent. Others I soundly beat my opponent. But most are close matches and have gotten quite a few ggs messages.

I just don't understand how people get up to G1. It must take a lot of games to get to that point.

I have like 30+ champ wins and 30+ runner ups in G2 and I'm only at like 8100-8200 GP :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
G2-C!!!!! FUCK YEAH!

I think I've went up 1000 in the past 2 days. I need to play this game more often so I can get to G1, where I can finally face people on my level.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just got the game and a fightpad tonight. Trying to get the hang of things...

Anyone have any videos or good information guides to help me learn how to play the damn game better?

Dartastic

Timedog said:
Just played Dartastic. I got 3 perfects in 2 rounds. I'm that damn good.

You shut your face. That was close. I might have even won if I hadn't had a few drinks. ;)
Like that time I tried jumping straight up to fake you out, only to eat a SRK into Ultra? Yeah. =/

Seriously tho, it's pretty funny running into someone in tournament mode who is on your friend list. :lol

Timedog said:
G2-C!!!!! FUCK YEAH!

I think I've went up 1000 in the past 2 days. I need to play this game more often so I can get to G1, where I can finally face people on my level.

=p

rcua1884

_dementia said:
20j4x11.jpg

i don't know if any of you are toy/figure nerds like me, but that is fucking awesome

small%20soldiers.jpg

CaVaYeRo

so, I guess it's been discussed for some time now, but, with the PC version around the corner, what's the best controler option?

I don't have a 360 gamepad, but I would love to use one of those fantastic arcade sticks.

Any advice?

Thx!

CaVaYeRo said:
so, I guess it's been discussed for some time now, but, with the PC version around the corner, what's the best controler option?

I don't have a 360 gamepad, but I would love to use one of those fantastic arcade sticks.

Any advice?

Thx!

MadCatz tournament edition fight stick. Both 360 and ps3 versions are compatible w/ pc

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well, I'm happy.

I used to have a problem with constantly back jumping kens/ryus. and would eat waaay to many kicks to the face in an attempt to get in there and hurt those pussys. This one 2500 ken was doing it and then starts taunting me and I ate shit in the first round. Then I figured, screw this and upballed him at the start of the round then turtled worse than him.

he threw so many fireballs at me it was great FADC practice. I chipped him down every time he got close and began to jump back again. hop -> upball works great for chasing.

Also played another blanka, AlexSV or something, we were extremely close and he took the first round. I beat him, then we got matched again in about 20 minutes. I hate blanka mirror matches and it was first round so I thought I'd try bison out and see how he goes. Dude had picked SAKURA and disconnected at the matchup screen :lol

I sent him a message saying 'aaawwwwww' then I got matched with him again later. Set my smiley to laughing and booted him from the match. Shame as he had 4 bars as well.

KittenMaster said:
Wait, you mean Haunts got banned? I wonder what for.
Tatsunoko thread

I think MTHanded too

SFIV thread aint the same, but at least it isn't permanent.

Anyone think they should call "Bloody High Claw" "Maximum Spaniard" instead. I played Marvel earlier this week and my firend and I discussed it's similarities with Maximum Spider.

And someone else brought up Abel's Ultra similarities with Captain America's final Justice.

Are there any more homages?

_dementia said:
Tatsunoko thread

I think MTHanded too

SFIV thread aint the same, but at least it isn't permanent.

Anyone think they should call "Bloody High Claw" "Maximum Spaniard" instead. I played Marvel earlier this week and my firend and I discussed it's similarities with Maximum Spider.

And someone else brought up Abel's Ultra similarities with Captain America's final Justice.

Are there any more homages?

Ever since the game came out, I thought you should be able to aim Vega's ultra just like Spidey's.

Just ordered my fightpad, so I'll start playing this again. Should greatly increase my FADC success rate, and turn me into a more aggressive fighter. Also means I can begin to learn Able/Rufus.

Prepare to die bitches!!!

Won

catfish said:
Also played another blanka, AlexSV or something, we were extremely close and he took the first round. I beat him, then we got matched again in about 20 minutes. I hate blanka mirror matches and it was first round so I thought I'd try bison out and see how he goes. Dude had picked SAKURA and disconnected at the matchup screen :lol

I sent him a message saying 'aaawwwwww' then I got matched with him again later. Set my smiley to laughing and booted him from the match. Shame as he had 4 bars as well.

Not sure if I understood that correctly, but you do know that the game randomly disconnects at the loading screen from time to time? Just happens.
Also can happen between rounds. Just like that, without anyone being angry or scared.

Also just destroyed a Blanka with Gouken with 2 perfects. Felt so bad for the poor guy, but he sticked around for another game. Positive rep for that alone!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Won said:
Not sure if I understood that correctly, but you do know that the game randomly disconnects at the loading screen from time to time? Just happens.
Also can happen between rounds. Just like that, without anyone being angry or scared.

Also just destroyed a Blanka with Gouken with 2 perfects. Felt so bad for the poor guy, but he sticked around for another game. Positive rep for that alone!

wasn't me, i don't even play Blanka!

Top Bottom