• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
if live ever gets back up today my goal is to do a dpfadcultra. I can do it like 20 times in a row in training and i've done it lots of times vs cpu, but can NEVER do it online, so i just quit trying.

myDingling said:
Haha word to that. Strangely enough, the SFIV benchmark (which I got about a C running med settings at 1280x720) has saddened me about SC's release. If my two year old lappy cant handle SFIV it's gonna be effed for SC :-( Or maybe the two can't be compared, who knows.

I think people are making too big of a deal about SC. I imagine it will scale well. Unless you want it to look amazing, you should be able to run it at medium or low setting and still play.

I think I might forget about KoF and BB and just concentrate on SF. I don't think I have time to try to learn those two as well. I'll be jumping ship for T6BR, though.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Teknopathetic said:
"KoF!!! Less loli hentai yelling spam on every move."

Don't even remind me about that shit. Apparently you can turn it off in the console versions, though? I dunno. And I'm basically thinking like UnholySpectacle. I'm not really expecting either game to light the world on fire, but I don't think anyone but the super hardcore KOF fans are going to be sticking with KOF after a week. Same with BlazBlue/ArcSys fans, really, but there's more of them.

I think KOF's graphics might keep a few people around. Also, if you live near a lot of Mexicans or a Chinatown, you'll have good offline comp. KOF's fanbase is more international, but very anti-American. It's a shame AAA broke up Jack and Tedddy, I was going to use those two for my gamertag/motto once this game came out.)

Honestly, I am kinda mad at the people who aren't going to try out either one- for the genre to grow- it has to develop beyond Capcom/Namco stuff. That's what killed the genre in the past.

note: (not a knock on SF/Tekken/SC, all three has have their good games, SC not so much) KOF deserves love, especially 98UM- which is the best 2d fighter ever.

Brobzoid said:
What do I use FADC (or even FA) for with Balrog? I know I can FADC out of a dash punch to carry a block string or whatever, but are there any better uses for it? I almost only use FA to eat single hit moves and counter...

Most important use is FADC backwards out of a blocked Overhead, since those are punishable on block (even ex)

@Arstal - BB looks fast, but in terms of the actual pace of the game, it's really slow. Any time someone's trying to pressure you, you have like an hour to figure out what to do.

I'm sticking w/ kof12 solely for the awesome online support. I enjoy the game even though it doesn't excite me anywhere near as much as sf4 did/does. But the clan system is a great community builder that fighting games don't typically have.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
FindMyFarms said:
Most important use is FADC backwards out of a blocked Overhead, since those are punishable on block (even ex)
Can you FADC back and still retain a back charge to do a jab rush?

"@Arstal - BB looks fast, but in terms of the actual pace of the game, it's really slow. Any time someone's trying to pressure you, you have like an hour to figure out what to do.

I'm sticking w/ kof12 solely for the awesome online support. I enjoy the game even though it doesn't excite me anywhere near as much as sf4 did/does. But the clan system is a great community builder that fighting games don't typically have."

Hence my dilemma. The clan stuff is super neat, but without a sizable community it's just worthless :/. It doesn't help that I'm slowly warming up to BB (v-13 looks nice and unbalanced. I smell a main!).

Zapages

Well guys, I bought Dazzle DVD Recorder... This thing rocks... I have pretty high resolution videos recorded, nothing HD but still its good. :)

Anyway I've uploaded my first video using Dazzle DVD Recorder, while playing on my laptop after a break from the game... You can really tell that I am rusty as anything... lol

But I'll post my other videos that I got upto the semi-finals a bit later... Youtube makes video low res for some odd reason... But anyway enjoy my lose badly to a ken...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWQz...tube.com/user/Zapages&feature=player_embedded

Teknopathetic said:
"@Arstal - BB looks fast, but in terms of the actual pace of the game, it's really slow. Any time someone's trying to pressure you, you have like an hour to figure out what to do.

I'm sticking w/ kof12 solely for the awesome online support. I enjoy the game even though it doesn't excite me anywhere near as much as sf4 did/does. But the clan system is a great community builder that fighting games don't typically have."

Hence my dilemma. The clan stuff is super neat, but without a sizable community it's just worthless :/. It doesn't help that I'm slowly warming up to BB (v-13 looks nice and unbalanced. I smell a main!).

I think the community in both games will be pretty comparable. Plus, the gaf crowd looks a lot more set on kof than BB, as evidenced by the threads and relative interest displayed.

Brobzoid

FindMyFarms said:
It's funny, you can fadc back and ultra, but not jab rush lol.
That's offensive, not funny Farms...
Capcom forces me to think of tools to use against all these fireball motherfuckers and then they tell me I can't have them. :(

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Lyte Edge said:
Really it's amazing that GAF has actually stuck with SF4 for this long.

I've always been a KOF player more then a SF player, so I'm likely going to put SF4 aside, unless this KOF isn't good. (honestly many KOF's aren't that good)

The problem with Blazblue is that it would have to be completely different for me to like it from the typical Arc game.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It's weird; I've never been into Guilty Gear, but I thought Blaz Blue was awesome. I am getting both that and KOF; variety is the spice!

FindMyFarms said:
It's because SF4 is AWESOME

It doesn't matter what game it is. This is an amazing feat for this forum. :lol

FindMyFarms said:
Also note to self - due not try to Raging Demon Blanka when he's in active ultra.

I have like 1400 gp, how much til I hit g2?

600gp. G2E is 2000GP.

Edit: I actually just got there. OMG this game is so much more fun at G2. I kept playing around with ranked and player matches, but the competition at G2 is so much more consistently solid than G1. I'm now very happy with Championship mode.

prodystopian said:
600gp. G2E is 2000GP.

Edit: I actually just got there. OMG this game is so much more fun at G2. I kept playing around with ranked and player matches, but the competition at G2 is so much more consistently solid than G1. I'm now very happy with Championship mode.

Depending on your skill level, G2 can definitely be a bitch. For me G2 is definitely a bitch. I've only won 1 tournament so far and normally get no further then the 2nd round or semi-final. I'm not seeing great skill, just more intelligent and patient play. Which can be a pain in the ass for me because I like to play aggressive and most players are just reacting to my next move instead of going after me.

And I must say, is it me or are players who like to taunt play as Ryu? In my experience, I've been taunted by more Ryu players then all other characters combined. I'm not exaggerating because all I'm hearing is "Give me a reason to fight".

Oh, one more thing. Is anybody up for some matches? I'm on PSN, name is Rice_Eater483. I main Ryu but I'll try other opponents as well but I'm terrible with anybody who doesn't have a DP and FB.

Zapages said:
Well guys, I bought Dazzle DVD Recorder... This thing rocks... I have pretty high resolution videos recorded, nothing HD but still its good. :)

Anyway I've uploaded my first video using Dazzle DVD Recorder, while playing on my laptop after a break from the game... You can really tell that I am rusty as anything... lol

But I'll post my other videos that I got upto the semi-finals a bit later... Youtube makes video low res for some odd reason... But anyway enjoy my lose badly to a ken...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWQz...tube.com/user/Zapages&feature=player_embedded

You got really lucky in that second round. Also, I've never seen a Ryu do so many hurricane kicks @_@ try and use LP Hurricane to mix things up. Don't use roundhouse so much. Rely on your jabs and mk to poke. Oh and be careful with FAs on whiffed EX SRK, the recovery is pretty fast on those and even moreso on ken.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Rice-Eater said:
Depending on your skill level, G2 can definitely be a bitch. For me G2 is definitely a bitch. I've only won 1 tournament so far and normally get no further then the 2nd round or semi-final. I'm not seeing great skill, just more intelligent and patient play. Which can be a pain in the ass for me because I like to play aggressive and most players are just reacting to my next move instead of going after me.

And I must say, is it me or are players who like to taunt play as Ryu? In my experience, I've been taunted by more Ryu players then all other characters combined. I'm not exaggerating because all I'm hearing is "Give me a reason to fight".

I pretty much taunt 2-3 times per round. I also FA absorb all fireballs even if the other guy keeps throwing them until I die. I don't give a fuck. Punk Rock Ryu FTW.

Brobzoid

Zapages said:
In this video, I was able to reach the Semi Finals before I got destroyed by a really good E. Honda Player. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4gGXMOdTc

If anyone likes comebacks, watch these... There some close calls with my rusty playing style. :lol
Shit friend, you need to lay off the Heavy Hurricane some. And spam some more fireballs. Fireballs help you control the opponent into moving according to your commands. And use the Ultra more carefully, try to bait them into jumping forward with regular fireballs or whatevs and hit 'em with it as they come down. It's also real easy to set up Ultra traps with Ryu, annoyingly so if you are fighting against him ;)

Brobzoid

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea GAF on SF4 is fking crazy. We have grown to become one of the largest threads in GAF history
Hopefully it doesn't drop off before I get my internet connection fixed. My router is blocking my PS3 ports at the moment, can't even download the Noby Noby Boy update ;_;

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea GAF on SF4 is fking crazy. We have grown to become one of the largest threads in GAF history

I don't see it slowing down either, with the biggest tourneys like Evo and SBO still to come there is no stopping this train. We can discuss(or complain) about tiers, scrubs, cheapness, matchup problems, flowcharts, etc. all day long :lol

LuCkymoON

Banned
sooo did anyone else get a tracking number confirmation from capcom for TE stick even after you canceled?
It even says my CC was charged but wasn't. lol

Zapages said:

Hey good for you on posting videos.

Now hopefully you are willing to take criticism to improve your game.

So hopefully you take this the right way.

1) You like to stay full screen.. stop. Keep pressure on at times.. but do it tastefully.. cr. MK is Ryu's best tool in the game.
2) You are falling into flow chart Ryu a bit.. Stop with the tatsu's.. you are doing them full screen and getting lucky and doing the HK versions exclusively. Combo Cr. MK into Tatsu.. it will help you a ton.. But only do it when the cr. MK hits.. don't do it on block or else you may run into some issues.. Cr. mk + EX Tatsu is also really nice. Also stop using HK exclusively. Thats one of the biggest newby street fighter flaws. Relying on nothing your fierce kicks and punches.. You seem to be doing that a lot but also remember that Ryu has a fast jab and great MK's.
3) If someone is jumping in on you do LP Shoryuken.. then if it trades or they fly up.. land a EX Fireball as they fall or Ultra if you have it.. Makes Ryu hella easy.
4) Cross up more.. You did a few times but it really lands a mind fudge on people since they aren't sure on where to block most the time. Crossing up with jumping MK is what you need to do .. then link it into jabs + Shoryuken or cr. MK into EX Tatsu or normal tatsu etc.

Just some basics there.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
This game is so much better offline. I can actually dragon punch chun li's twirly splits kick, and not get hit by every one of her pokes.

Zapages said:
In this video, I was able to reach the Semi Finals before I got destroyed by a really good E. Honda Player. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4gGXMOdTc

If anyone likes comebacks, watch these... There some close calls with my rusty playing style. :lol

You . Need. To. Throw. More . Often

Light Punch + Light Kick (that's how you throw, I'm posting this because you never threw once).

When you jump in with a heavy kick and they block it, instead of doing a crouching heavy kick (which is stupid) do a few jabs and go into a throw. Ryu's throw range and speed is deceiving, use it more often.

And stop with the full screen hurricane kicks.

Also, learn this combo -- Jump in heavy kick, crouching medium kick, and while you do that crouching medium kick, quickly do a fireball.. this is ryu/ken's bread and butter jump in combo for beginners.

As for good things, you have a good knowledge on how and when to use your Ultra.

Practice dashing out of your focus attacks too.

Hey dudes, what's the best way to capture video from my ps3? Price is a factor.

Zapages: I watched a bit of your video and I think you should work on some simple strings to combo into. Learn your pokes and their ranges/priorities and your linkable normals. Once you learn this, the rest of the game falls into place in due time. Also, go into training mode and get a feel for your crossup and link timing.

The best way to learn is from your mistakes. You'll be throwing out a full screen tatsu at first, but someone is gonna punish you for that. You learn not to do it later and you get an idea for what is safe and what isn't in your arsenal. This happens everytime I play because I'm still encountering new scenarios and setups.

Really, like 3/4th of my game play revolves around slamming chumps to the ground. If I play some of my lesser skilled friends and then immediately start playing people around my level, I usually have a hard time adjusting because I keep getting slammed.

Also, tick throws with Chun li when the opponent is in the corner is so good. They're usually too afraid to stand up in fear of getting eating a combo into ultra, so you can just slam them at will. Not to mention her grab is ridiculous.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Hey you doing Control Freaks tourney today?

Yeah I'm there. Whoever told Roger (who then passed it on to srk) about the tourney is going to be in for a cruel surprise when a bunch of top Tx players show up lol.

_dementia said:
I'd like to record some of my matches as well. What do you recommend?
HD quality over HDMI, Component or VGA would be ideal.

Are you going to be recording off screen or doing video capture? HDMI is usually the easit way to go.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
awesome, after the LIVE update half my matches are saying that they didn't conclude properly and I have to go back to the first match. Now my disconnect is up to 1% :(

Anyone else having an issue?

Grifter

what would a recorder hooking into my 360 cost? does it cause lag?

I pretty much taunt 2-3 times per round. I also FA absorb all fireballs even if the other guy keeps throwing them until I die. I don't give a fuck. Punk Rock Ryu FTW.

you play how i tell myself to play

Timedog said:
awesome, after the LIVE update half my matches are saying that they didn't conclude properly and I have to go back to the first match. Now my disconnect is up to 1% :(

Anyone else having an issue?
same thing here

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Great games today. G2 is so satisfying for me now. Been getting destroyed at times and also winning couple of championships as well (shocked myself) lol. This game is fucking crack, seriously.

Kaako said:
Great games today. G2 is so satisfying for me now. Been getting destroyed at times and also winning couple of championships as well (shocked myself) lol. This game is fucking crack, seriously.
I won my first (and second!) G2 tourneys today
I feel the same way.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
_dementia said:
I won my first (and second!) G2 tourneys today
I feel the same way.
It's a great feeling. I was happy to even get to the Finals again, but then I told myself "Fuck that...you beat a G2-A dude with 11000 GP, you don't have to be scared of nobody!" :lol
My main goal right now is to not jitter and control pace of game. I still can't FADC a move to save my life though; I blame my 360 dpad lol.

Just finished up a local tournament here in the Dallas/Plano area.

No one knew about it until last minute then suddenly like all of the Dallas elite showed up.

I got a bye on the first round.. but my first actual match of course was against Buktooth.. :lol I almost squeaked a round!

But our very own FindMyFarms (Adnan) got all the way to the grand finals and won! I did then win my next match in Losers but then lost my next one to JW... fucking Chun.. I went 1-1 then lost the last match since he ditched Sakura.

He won $150.00 - First tourney win so congrats to him. I pretty much give full credit my TE stick he was using!

Anyways

1) FindMyFarms - Boxer
2) vietnamazing - Cammy
3) amodf - Rufus (He won TiT tournament this past weekend in Dallas)
4) Buktooth - El Fuerte

I finished around 14th or some shit..

By the way.. I have videos uploading to YouTube so you all can see some of the fine work the Dallas Players have ;P

Good stuff Frosty. I look forward to some IRL casuals.

Shadow: I assume this is high end stuff. Would this be overkill if I just plan on recording some 480i content off my PS3?

Top Bottom